Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='iRandom']Ohh no don't tell me. I'm afraid to look at the TIV for the games I ordered[/QUOTE]

Monkey ball 3ds is down from $15 to $10
Combat of dinosaurs is down from $12 to $10
NHL 11 $14 to $10
LB2 $23 to $21
Donkey Kong Country Returns $23 $18

60% makes up for it all and then some but i hate relying on bonuses to make profit.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Gahhh Tons of drops.[/QUOTE]

I am just wondering why people haven't traded in their games yet. I thought it was obvious that some of them were dropping due to the new promo coming out...

[quote name='Jimmienoman']I am just wondering why people haven't traded in their games yet. I thought it was obvious that some of them were dropping due to the new promo coming out...[/QUOTE]

Because the 60% makes up for the drops and then some.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Because the 60% makes up for the drops and then some.[/QUOTE]

Sunday seems to be when they look over all the TiVs and adjust accordingly. Least the last few flippers paradises the flips were killed on Sat/Sun. So you are waiting it out til Monday to possibly eek out an extra $1-$2 per game... You have some DNF Big A$$ Balls sir. And for that I wish you the best of luck to keep them intact til Monday.

[quote name='Jimmienoman']Sunday seems to be when they look over all the TiVs and adjust accordingly. Least the last few flippers paradises the flips were killed on Sat/Sun. So you are waiting it out til Monday to possibly eek out an extra $1-$2 per game... You have some DNF Big A$$ Balls sir. And for that I wish you the best of luck to keep them intact til Monday.[/QUOTE]

Games Cost me $390
so far 1:1
TIV of games $390

TIV after drops $388

TIV after bonuses
$543 with 40%

or i can wait for 60%
and get $622

If they drop i can always resell/return

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Games Cost me $390
so far 1:1
TIV of games $390

TIV after drops $388

TIV after bonuses
$543 with 40%

or i can wait for 60%
and get $622

If they drop i can always resell/return[/QUOTE]

$2 drop on $390 worth of games, thats not bad at all. Unless :ps2: games start getting less than a $1 TIV then I wont have to worry about TIV drops.

For those trading in popular games (new releases) then those are more likely to drop. 60% bonus bump is huge when you are talking $30-40 TIV games (if they exist) so one would expect BB to drop those accordingly, so that you get the same or slightly more by waiting. From BB perspective, its a wash, and they actually come out ahead by selling their Gamers Rewards Unlocked to more people (who want that extra 10%).

if you have combat of giant dinos, secondspin.com still gives $15 i believe. glad i flipped all my monkey ball, etcs. wish madden 11 and others didnt drop, but oh wells. that's life.

[quote name='Velo214']if you have combat of giant dinos, secondspin.com still gives $15 i believe. glad i flipped all my monkey ball, etcs. wish madden 11 and others didnt drop, but oh wells. that's life.[/QUOTE]

nice site Velo. Thanks
But I try to avoid these online BST site because of shipping costs
Combat of dinosaurs may be $10 but with the 60% its brings it back up to $16

It's still too early for BB to be dropping TIVs left and right though even with the 50%/60%. If they keep this up, I may just start trading in my games at GS or Amazon

Don't you mean
Does best buy take back games without the cases?

No BB does not take game cases...I wish they did though :D
They do take in games if that's what you were trying to say

[quote name='Jimmienoman']I am just wondering why people haven't traded in their games yet. I thought it was obvious that some of them were dropping due to the new promo coming out...[/QUOTE]I made sure to visit all the BBV I hadn't hit up yet today to lock in the TIV at BB. I think I ended up with at least 50 different titles that made at least 40% w/ bonus (most were more than that).

On a different note, the BB I traded to tonight didn't have any pre-paid visa cards. They said they were not going to carry them anymore and that it was a company wide thing. I hope they were mistaken and it is just at that store.

[quote name='orangecrush']I made sure to visit all the BBV I hadn't hit up yet today to lock in the TIV at BB. I think I ended up with at least 50 different titles that made at least 40% w/ bonus (most were more than that).

On a different note, the BB I traded to tonight didn't have any pre-paid visa cards. They said they were not going to carry them anymore and that it was a company wide thing. I hope they were mistaken and it is just at that store.[/QUOTE]

As long as they still price match i'll be happy.

[quote name='karyadi']HDMI cables, anyone know how much they trade-in for? I just wanna get a bit on my gear pre-order.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they take em. But they trade for $5 at gamestop and then you could just by 99c ps2 games to convert it.

D'oh! I just found out about the Dinosaur game the other day and was planning to bring it in tomorrow. I had a trade locked in at Amazon for $12 so I'll just stick with that. I'd only be getting 30% bonus anyway as I've preordered everything I could possibly want and no 60% for me because I don't want to preorder gears OR pay for the upgraded program. Yeah, it has always been a no brainer at GS to enroll in Edge/PUR, but at Best Buy I can't see ever buying used games and I think the trade-in window will be short lived, so I don't see making the $14.99 back any time soon.

[quote name='KtMack23']How is that digging a whole? Making sure I don't waste $25 some dollars in credit on useless games is digging a whole? Everyone says "BB never goes below 99c on their games" so I thought maybe they'll take off on more expensive games, but not below 99c. Sorry :/[/QUOTE]

[quote name='iRandom']Now why would you do that? Looks like you just dug yourself a whole there
it's been stated countless times that BB accepts disc only. What's the difference between a 99c PS2 game and a 1c Xbox 360 game?[/QUOTE]

Anybody else beside me think this is funny?

Anyway, BB PUR is a no-brainer for me. My subscription is already paid for when I got GOW Triple Pack for free and trade it to Amazon for 14.85. That 10% bump on top of 40%, 50% does make a big different if you trading in a lot of games or high TIV games.

Anyone know how fast the Tradein update at BB is? I have 4 of the same game and since limit is 3 per year, I was planning to trade 3 at 1 BB and the single at a different BB 2 hrs away. Can the 2nd BB know that I already did my 3 earlier? I don't want to get ban so haven't test this out yet.

Gears of War 50% bonus trade-in is officially out. Now just wait for 9/12/2011 to stack on the 10% Gamer Club benefit.

Promotions available in stores only

Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game Offer expires 10/01/2011

Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit Offer expires 10/01/2011

Get a 50% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order Gears of War 3 Offer expires 09/17/2011

[quote name='foreinter']Gears of War 50% bonus trade-in is out. Now just wait for 9/12/2011 to stack on the 10% Gamer Club benefit.

Promotions available in stores only

Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game Offer expires 10/01/2011

Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit Offer expires 10/01/2011

Get a 50% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order Gears of War 3 Offer expires 09/17/2011[/QUOTE]

60% is probably the best trade in promo we're ever going to get. Time to dump some PS2 games.

[quote name='Mr Blitzkrieg']60% is probably the best trade in promo we're ever going to get. Time to dump some PS2 games.[/QUOTE]

Now Bestbuy is probably my go-to place to trade in games.

I love how io thinks the trade in window will be short. I thought it was going to be short over a year ago when we were all trading in 10 copies of games and getting free ones from bestbuy while we were at it. Those were the days. but yeah, i get a free upgrade cuz im an @gamer subscriber for the coupons, but i would never really buy a used game at bestbuy. more often than not the used game costs more than the new game(or game i am getting a deal on).
The only time I was getting used games was with the 50% off coupon, and that's when they were accepting copies of coupons so I got a bunch to flip. $20 lbp2 over a month ago was a good deal as well as others. now if they did that again i would be happy. 60% bonus on top of good tivs for deus ex and resistance 3 would be sweet but i have no interest in gears.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']So if I already put 5 down on GOW3 a few weeks back can I still get 50% added credit?[/QUOTE]

YMMV

I'm going to try to convince them if they can still give me the 50% bonus with any pre-order since I just pre-ordered GOW3 last week (fuck)...
Why didn't I just go with my gut and pre-ordered Skyrim instead?

And $6 for Metro 2033??? Are you kidding me?! Lowest I've seen that game go down is $15. Now it's back to $25 on Amazon...Looks like that's one game I'll be holding onto

With that said. With the 10% bonus from Edge, I think I'll just hold onto my games until there's a 50% TIV promo going on. 40% just doesn't seem to cut it anymore for me.

[quote name='iRandom']YMMV

I'm going to try to convince them if they can still give me the 50% bonus with any pre-order since I just pre-ordered GOW3 last week (fuck)...
Why didn't I just go with my gut and pre-ordered Skyrim instead?

And $6 for Metro 2033??? Are you kidding me?! Lowest I've seen that game go down is $15. Now it's back to $25 on Amazon...Looks like that's one game I'll be holding onto

With that said. With the 10% bonus from Edge, I think I'll just hold onto my games until there's a 50% TIV promo going on. 40% just doesn't seem to cut it anymore for me.[/QUOTE]

I'm so spoiled.. I can't even fathom a trade without a bonus.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Just bring in your receipt i'd think you would.
If not cancel then re-pre order it.[/QUOTE]

I reserved it when the mag coupon for 15 off the triple pack was out. Yeah, I figured if they shut me down on it that I'll just get my 5 back from the previous reserve.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']I'm so spoiled.. I can't even fathom a trade without a bonus.[/QUOTE]

Likewise. If only I would have hold onto my games and not traded them. Would have made an extra Benjamin or two.

Can u trade in hardware in-store? Can u get the bonus credit on an xbox 360 console trade-in if u preorder? I am looking to dump my extra 360.

[quote name='Velo214']I love how io thinks the trade in window will be short. I thought it was going to be short over a year ago when we were all trading in 10 copies of games and getting free ones from bestbuy while we were at it. Those were the days. but yeah, i get a free upgrade cuz im an @gamer subscriber for the coupons, but i would never really buy a used game at bestbuy. more often than not the used game costs more than the new game(or game i am getting a deal on).
The only time I was getting used games was with the 50% off coupon, and that's when they were accepting copies of coupons so I got a bunch to flip. $20 lbp2 over a month ago was a good deal as well as others. now if they did that again i would be happy. 60% bonus on top of good tivs for deus ex and resistance 3 would be sweet but i have no interest in gears.[/QUOTE]

A year ago? Didn't they just start this thing up recently? In any case, it was a massive pain trading just a month or two ago - they didn't have their act together (at least around me). It has gotten better since then. Clearly I missed out on this "year ago" business. But to me the window is already closed with the BBV sale ending and those values having dropped already anyway. I won't do the 100 PS2 game thing, so that leaves not much to trade besides old games I have sitting around.

I guess I could consider the upgraded Best Buy program only because that stupid magazine comes with it. I never felt compelled by the deals to buy individual copies of the mag or subscribe to it before now, but if there's a little added incentive to get it (the 10% trade bonus) then maybe I can deal with paying the $15. But I'm sure as soon as I do so, the coupons will start to suck. Count on it in fact ;).

[quote name='io']A year ago? Didn't they just start this thing up recently? In any case, it was a massive pain trading just a month or two ago - they didn't have their act together (at least around me). It has gotten better since then. Clearly I missed out on this "year ago" business. But to me the window is already closed with the BBV sale ending and those values having dropped already anyway. I won't do the 100 PS2 game thing, so that leaves not much to trade besides old games I have sitting around.

I guess I could consider the upgraded Best Buy program only because that stupid magazine comes with it. I never felt compelled by the deals to buy individual copies of the mag or subscribe to it before now, but if there's a little added incentive to get it (the 10% trade bonus) then maybe I can deal with paying the $15. But I'm sure as soon as I do so, the coupons will start to suck. Count on it in fact ;).[/QUOTE]
That's my fear with the Gamer's Club Unlocked, is that the coupons in the mag will start to really suck soon. I'm just hoping that Hunted: Demon's Forge drops to $19.99 on sale or something while the coupons for the current mag are still valid, since then I'll pick up a second copy for free to give to my one buddy to play through.:D

The only other thing that irks me about the mag subscription is that it's 10 issues and not 12 issues. Speaking of which I really have to email/call Game Informer and let them know they stopped my subscription 6 months too early since my PowerUpRewards card doesn't expire till Feb 2012 but my mags stopped as of the Borderlands 2 issue.:cry: Not that I actually enjoy the mag, but I want what I paid for.:razz:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's my fear with the Gamer's Club Unlocked, is that the coupons in the mag will start to really suck soon. I'm just hoping that Hunted: Demon's Forge drops to $19.99 on sale or something while the coupons for the current mag are still valid, since then I'll pick up a second copy for free to give to my one buddy to play through.:D

The only other thing that irks me about the mag subscription is that it's 10 issues and not 12 issues. Speaking of which I really have to email/call Game Informer and let them know they stopped my subscription 6 months too early since my PowerUpRewards card doesn't expire till Feb 2012 but my mags stopped as of the Borderlands 2 issue.:cry: Not that I actually enjoy the mag, but I want what I paid for.:razz:[/QUOTE]

The Borderlands 2 issue is the latest 1 so you haven't actually missed a magazine.

I have a few of questions that I'm sure have been answered along the line somewhere. Do the computers in BB show every time I've returned a pre-order? I pre-ordered Star Fox, but now I don't want it. I assume I can walk in and still get my 5 bucks back? On the first post it says I can buy a Kindle gift card and use it on Amazon for anything. Has this changed in any way, or can I pre-order Gears 3 with it?

[quote name='sixspeednissan']I have a few of questions that I'm sure have been answered along the line somewhere. Do the computers in BB show every time I've returned a pre-order? I pre-ordered Star Fox, but now I don't want it. I assume I can walk in and still get my 5 bucks back? On the first post it says I can buy a Kindle gift card and use it on Amazon for anything. Has this changed in any way, or can I pre-order Gears 3 with it?[/QUOTE]

It counts as an exchange yes they show on your reward zone. Yes you can still buy kindle cards. Yes you can pre order gears if you'd rather do that.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']It counts as an exchange yes they show on your reward zone. Yes you can still buy kindle cards. Yes you can pre order gears if you'd rather do that.[/QUOTE]
Shit. I wonder if I'm gonna be stuck with my $5 pre-order of Uncharted 3 then, since I've had buyer's remorse quite a few times in the last year. Since they changed their policy to only allow a certain number of returns per year I've had to try and make sure I wanted shit before buying it.:whistle2:#:cry:

This is why I wish I lived in NY state cuz I have a feeling they'd never get away with shit like this up there.:booty:

Then again, if I lived in NY I'd be paying taxes on EVERYTHING cuz they love to tax every fuckin' thing there apparently.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']It counts as an exchange yes they show on your reward zone. Yes you can still buy kindle cards. Yes you can pre order gears if you'd rather do that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply kind sir. I'll swing by tomorrow and maybe just pre-order Gears 3 there so I can get the 40% bonus credit. I'm afraid of them saying something though since I will be returning my second pre-order in a week.

Anyone think we might get a pre-order bonus for CoD or BF3; like the one we are getting for GoW? Contemplating trading in now on them for the 30% credit...

[quote name='StarryWisdom']Anyone think we might get a pre-order bonus for CoD or BF3; like the one we are getting for GoW? Contemplating trading in now on them for the 30% credit...[/QUOTE]

Every major release is getting this.

BF3
Skyrim
MW3
Uncharted 3
etc...

Rather than wait until tomorrow and pray they don't go down further, I think I'll trade in my four games today and get the 40% bump.

Went in today to do the Gamers club unlocked coupon and got the police called on me for trading in so many games (something in their system, not too many games at one time). After advising that I had receipts (these were BBV flips), everyone agreed that it was ridiculous and the BB manager advised that there were no issues with banning or anything. The moral of the story is do not lose your cool in situations like that and probably keep some receipts with you in the car or something.

I do not know if this is local or a national thing tied to the new gamers club unlocked. It may just be an isolated incident. Once they realized I was gonna return a boatload of preorders and I have spent 4k plus at BB this year they were pretty understanding.

oh shit

I always kept my reciepts when I was doing BBV flipping. I've kept them for even this PS2 stuff. You never know..

[quote name='jer7583']oh shit

I always kept my reciepts when I was doing BBV flipping. I've kept them for even this PS2 stuff. You never know..[/QUOTE]
It was pretty crazy. The kiosk videogame employee said he had to leave for something so I just meandered around and was about to pick up dead island when the cop asked if he could help me. Lol. Talk about a crowd of blue shirts that amassed. The good thing is I think they will be extra nice in the future.

[quote name='killercane']Went in today to do the Gamers club unlocked coupon and got the police called on me for trading in so many games (something in their system, not too many games at one time). After advising that I had receipts (these were BBV flips), everyone agreed that it was ridiculous and the BB manager advised that there were no issues with banning or anything. The moral of the story is do not lose your cool in situations like that and probably keep some receipts with you in the car or something.

I do not know if this is local or a national thing tied to the new gamers club unlocked. It may just be an isolated incident. Once they realized I was gonna return a boatload of preorders and I have spent 4k plus at BB this year they were pretty understanding.[/QUOTE]
Damn, so this is a serious thing?
I know a guy who's told me about this, but it really happened?
were you trading more than 3 (games of the same type) in per transaction?
Thankfully I buy all my flip games via: Amazon so it's all linked to my account.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Damn, so this is a serious thing?
I know a guy who's told me about this, but it really happened?
were you trading more than 3 (games of the same type) in per transaction?
Thankfully I buy all my flip games via: Amazon so it's all linked to my account.[/QUOTE]
Really serious. Dont know if it is national or local, but Im thinking local since they had a note from a detective to call if I came in, and they routed the call to dispatch since he was off today.

I only had about twelve games, and that only included two DKC returns and 2 AC Brotherhood. The rest were single copies of a few games. Ive never traded more than 3 of the same in a transaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back