Best Buy [Unlocked] $20 RZ Cert. Pre-order Promo (Splinter Cell: Blacklist, GTA V, South Park: The Stick of Truth)

Status
Not open for further replies.

htz

CAGiversary!
Staff member
Feedback
4 (100%)
*READ THE FAQ & THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION*

https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/offers/offersandpromotions/info/0900a76f8009c50a

Game pickup deadlines

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BiggyP2P']I'm gonna preface this by saying that I won't disclose the store I work for but some major changes are in the works. Beginning around the beginning of March (3rd I believe) the company is changing their return policy to 15 days. The price match policy is changing to 15 days as well. The wording in the learning states that a competitor price match is valid only at the time of initial purchase. Any matches done after purchase only apply to in store or bestbuy.com price changes. The wording makes it seem like competitor price matches will not be allowed after day one purchase.

Summary: 15 day return/PM window is coming in March. Silver members are also losing the 60 day window in April.

The employees at this store aren't happy at the moment.[/QUOTE]
Nice April fools for Premier Silver folks.

[quote name='BiggyP2P']I'm gonna preface this by saying that I won't disclose the store I work for but some major changes are in the works. Beginning around the beginning of March (3rd I believe) the company is changing their return policy to 15 days. The price match policy is changing to 15 days as well. The wording in the learning states that a competitor price match is valid only at the time of initial purchase. Any matches done after purchase only apply to in store or bestbuy.com price changes. The wording makes it seem like competitor price matches will not be allowed after day one purchase.

Summary: 15 day return/PM window is coming in March. Silver members are also losing the 60 day window in April.

Wow..... you just dropped the hammer on all us BB customers.

Thanks for the heads up but boy am i disappointed. Still in shock right now reading this but i suppose it's not sutprising given how BB has been faring.

[quote name='klimb22']Nice April fools for Premier Silver folks.[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't make sense to be. I think this is just our worst fears coming true.

Id wait till something official is said. A lot of gossip and rumors happen at stores.

15 day would seem like an odd number to use. Id expect 14 since thats exactly 2 weeks.

[quote name='Deader2818']Id wait till something official is said. A lot of gossip and rumors happen at stores.

15 day would seem like an odd number to use. Id expect 14 since thats exactly 2 weeks.[/QUOTE]

15 days is half the current pm window, but **** WHY MARCH, Soooo many games out in march...

[quote name='Hemi']15 days is half the current pm window, but **** WHY MARCH, Soooo many games out in march...[/QUOTE]
I think you may have answered your own question with your last sentence. Though video games may only be a fraction of BBs business, I would bet that they are the most price matched. BB was probably thinking "these CAG folks are too smart...we can't keep giving away new games for $20"

[quote name='klimb22']I think you may have answered your own question with your last sentence. Though video games may only be a fraction of BBs business, I would bet that they are the most price matched. BB was probably thinking "these CAG folks are too smart...we can't keep giving away new games for $20"[/QUOTE]

I doubt they are thinking that. They are looking at How can we no longer stay in business...ahh I know get rid of PM-ing! It doesn't make a lick of sense and I would easily stop shopping there if this took effect.

[quote name='klimb22']I think you may have answered your own question with your last sentence. Though video games may only be a fraction of BBs business, I would bet that they are the most price matched. BB was probably thinking "these CAG folks are too smart...we can't keep giving away new games for $20"[/QUOTE]

i doubt videos games even come close to a fractions bbs business. many times, when i go to the video game section at my local bestbuy. It is literally a barren waste land, no a soul around, not even a employee. I had to wait, when I needed the help.

I'll believe it when I see it, but if it's true, I will gladly go to another retailer who will give me $20 to buy games from them on Day 1 (i.e., Amazon, Walmart, Microsoft Store).

Don't fail me now Best Buy, I've been a supporter for too long to have something like this happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be a big change given how the industry standard is for 30 days.

The 60 day PM is supposed to be a privilege so i understand if that goes away but would they offer any return/PM window incentive for Silver members still? 30 days perhaps?

Regardless, it's going to stop my personal Day 1 purchases now. fuck.

Um...WOW, if that's true. It sounds like a surefire way to lose whatever business BBY currently gets in the gaming department; hopefully we'll find out for sure in the coming days. My next preorder is Bioshock Infinite, but I might end up just cancelling it if these changes actually happen.

And Donut2922, I have to say the same thing--I'd make far, far fewer Day 1 purchases if this happens. :cry: :bomb:

[quote name='Donut2922']Wow..... you just dropped the hammer on all us BB customers.

Thanks for the heads up but boy am i disappointed. Still in shock right now reading this but i suppose it's not sutprising given how BB has been faring.[/QUOTE]

If this turns out to be accurate, I can't say I'm very surprised. With CAGs like Enuf essentially running no-risk small businesses on Craigslist at the expense of Best Buy and its liberal return/PM policy, they must be bleeding money like crazy in the video game department. I knew the abuse would catch up with those of us who are reasonable and don't hold Best Buy to every possible loophole in their policies. It makes me sad, but I don't blame BB for doing it.

[quote name='bojay1997']If this turns out to be accurate, I can't say I'm very surprised. With CAGs like Enuf essentially running no-risk small businesses on Craigslist at the expense of Best Buy and its liberal return/PM policy, they must be bleeding money like crazy in the video game department. I knew the abuse would catch up with those of us who are reasonable and don't hold Best Buy to every possible loophole in their policies. It makes me sad, but I don't blame BB for doing it.[/QUOTE]

i guess if it is really true, the previous master credit card coupon "deal" was basically the nail to the coffin

[quote name='Dund3r']I'll believe it when I see it, but if it's true, I will gladly go to another retailer who will give me $20 to buy games from them (i.e., Amazon, Walmart, Microsoft Store).

Don't fail me now Best Buy, I've been a supporter for too long to have something like this happen.[/QUOTE]

But Amazon, Walmart and the Microsoft store won't pay you to play. :lol: Seriously though, this would suck if true for us CAGS but like others I'm waiting for an official announcement before I believe it.

[quote name='bojay1997']If this turns out to be accurate, I can't say I'm very surprised. With CAGs like Enuf essentially running no-risk small businesses on Craigslist at the expense of Best Buy and its liberal return/PM policy, they must be bleeding money like crazy in the video game department. I knew the abuse would catch up with those of us who are reasonable and don't hold Best Buy to every possible loophole in their policies. It makes me sad, but I don't blame BB for doing it.[/QUOTE]
If it's their policy then there are no loopholes. What's the difference in buying early and then price matching vs. buying it on sale? Best Buy still gets the same amount of money from us in the end.

Also, what someone does with their items after they give BB their money is their business and does not directly effect BB. Unless you make the argument that the buyer would have purchased retail instead of CL, eBay, etc.

[quote name='klimb22']If it's their policy then there are no loopholes. What's the difference in buying early and then price matching vs. buying it on sale? Best Buy still gets the same amount of money from us in the end.

Also, what someone does with their items after they give BB their money is their business and does not directly effect BB. Unless you make the argument that the buyer would have purchased retail instead of CL, eBay, etc.[/QUOTE]

Not the same at all. Businesses make profit by catering to customers who buy immediately and a lesser amount of money from customers that buy on sale. The whole idea of price matching is to give buyers peace of mind that they don't have to wait for a sale. Part of the equation is that many consumers never come back for the PM. Unfortunately, one of the benefits/problems with a site like this is that it sparks large numbers of people doing PM's that probably wouldn't otherwise. Loophole may have been the wrong description, but there is some understanding between consumers and retailers that you don't act in an unreasonable basis and hold them to every possible provision of their policies just like they make exceptions for customers sometimes that go beyond their written policies. You may think it's ok to take advantage of whatever a retailer offers, but ultimately it leads to those retailers revoking the policies like they are doing here or going out of business like Circuit City and others.

As for the second point, that's exactly my argument. Enuf was buying quantities of discounted games at Best Buy and selling them on CL and then continuing to go in and get price matches from items he already sold. He was competing directly with Best Buy and other retailers for the same customer pool. It absolutely impacts Best Buy and in the end, all of us as the store becomes less and less profitable.

[quote name='bojay1997']Not the same at all. Businesses make profit by catering to customers who buy immediately and a lesser amount of money from customers that buy on sale. The whole idea of price matching is to give buyers peace of mind that they don't have to wait for a sale. Part of the equation is that many consumers never come back for the PM. Unfortunately, one of the benefits/problems with a site like this is that it sparks large numbers of people doing PM's that probably wouldn't otherwise. Loophole may have been the wrong description, but there is some understanding between consumers and retailers that you don't act in an unreasonable basis and hold them to every possible provision of their policies just like they make exceptions for customers sometimes that go beyond their written policies. You may think it's ok to take advantage of whatever a retailer offers, but ultimately it leads to those retailers revoking the policies like they are doing here or going out of business like Circuit City and others.

As for the second point, that's exactly my argument. Enuf was buying quantities of discounted games at Best Buy and selling them on CL and then continuing to go in and get price matches from items he already sold. He was competing directly with Best Buy and other retailers for the same customer pool. It absolutely impacts Best Buy and in the end, all of us as the store becomes less and less profitable.[/QUOTE]
If they don't want customers to actually use their policies then they shouldn't offer them to begin with.

[quote name='klimb22']If they don't want customers to actually use their policies then they shouldn't offer them to begin with.[/QUOTE]

Right and now we are all going to lose them, so you and everyone else who abused the policies have gotten your wish. Congratulations.

[quote name='bojay1997']
As for the second point, that's exactly my argument. Enuf was buying quantities of discounted games at Best Buy and selling them on CL and then continuing to go in and get price matches from items he already sold. He was competing directly with Best Buy and other retailers for the same customer pool. It absolutely impacts Best Buy and in the end, all of us as the store becomes less and less profitable.[/QUOTE]
Enuf has brought a large amount of people on board with BestBuy (both on CAG and their official forums), including me, the profit for BBY that this generated will obviously offset whatever negative impact to BBY's business, if there ever was any.

We are not SD.

[quote name='bojay1997']Right and now we are all going to lose them, so you and everyone else who abused the policies have gotten your wish. Congratulations.[/QUOTE]
Do you have proof that I, specifically, abused any policies? Didn't think so...

...and again, it's not abuse. If I send in every rebate form is that abuse too.

Goodbye Best Buy if this is true, which I'm hoping it's not. It doesn't sound implausible.

Also I believe you guys are way overestimating the influence of CAGs.

I don't think the CAG effect is as much to blame as it is the inherent loss on returns all major B&M retailers take on. People don't want to return things to Amazon when it costs them a few bucks out of pocket on return shipping. At Best Buy, customers will return stuff just because they can. I'd bet BB has a higher return rate than their online competitors.

The return and PM window is basically getting cut in half. They could restrict return periods for certain items like video games if they wanted. The idea to restrict the return period across the board makes me think Best Buy just wants to cut down on returns and PM's period. I think this is just an overall business decision instead of a reaction to gaming profitibility.

Holy hell people. We're getting AAA games day 1 for $40 for crying out loud. Yet most of you are screaming because now you might not get day 1 games for $20-$30.

Entitled much?

Getting games like Bioshock, God of War, The Last of Us, and GTA V day 1 for only $40 is amazing. I can't see any other retailers offering $20 for those games, but if they do you can bet it's in response to BB's offer.

Dead Space 3 also posted to my account buy no mention of 1000 points. Ill wait till after the 23rd and see if it pops up.

Also, why are we believing what one random person says to be true?

[quote name='GuyManDude']Holy hell people. We're getting AAA games day 1 for $40 for crying out loud. Yet most of you are screaming because now you might not get day 1 games for $20-$30.

Entitled much?

Getting games like Bioshock, God of War, The Last of Us, and GTA V day 1 for only $40 is amazing. I can't see any other retailers offering $20 for those games, but if they do you can bet it's in response to BB's offer.[/QUOTE]

Not really. The games are still $60 plus tax, although if you get a chain going or buy from Best Buy a lot, the $20 cert may be similar in value to cash to you. I do agree with you though that considering Amazon only seems willing to match other retailers nowadays and refuses to do anything on their own that the Best Buy deal is still a good one if you want the games at release. Heck, most retailers don't give any kind of incentive for release date buyers currently.

[quote name='bojay1997']Right and now we are all going to lose them, so you and everyone else who abused the policies have gotten your wish. Congratulations.[/QUOTE]

Have you noticed returns at the CS line lately? People come up with the most random reasons to return crap they shouldn't be returning in the first place.

I largely blame devil customers that use BB as a free rental company.

[quote name='bojay1997']although if you get a chain going or buy from Best Buy a lot, the $20 cert may be similar in value to cash to you[/QUOTE]

Yeah I bought DS3 and am also getting MGR, God of War, Bioshock, Dead Island, and The Last of Us so I'll be using the $20 as I go along. With The Last of Us delayed, theres a two month gap between Dead Island Riptide and The Last of Us, so any remaining certs will be posted. And I'm sure there will be a blu-ray movie or TV series that I'll want by then to use the last $20 on.

[quote name='klimb22']If it's their policy then there are no loopholes. What's the difference in buying early and then price matching vs. buying it on sale? Best Buy still gets the same amount of money from us in the end. [/QUOTE]

Do you know what "loophole" means?

----

This really isn't surprising. They couldn't make money with the 45 day price match policy if people were going to run a business off of it. I don't want to see BB go away, I've gotten a lot of great deals there in the last year.

I gotta say that the 45 day PM did give me reason to buy from them vs amazon. They should adopt the policy that credit cards use, e.g., 5 price matches in a single year or $500 worth of price matches in a single year. Higher for silver members. At least then, i could justify a large TV purchase from them and not PM every little bullshit $5 drop in a video game.

If the BB return time frames are cut down, it almost certainly has to do with the overall economy. They are trying to stay alive. People are ridiculous with their entitlement attitude towards returns. Just the way people are now. Give an inch, they take a mile. And now the mile is expected.

It wouldn't surprise me that the only good thing about being a silver member would be taken away. But with Target changing their policy on media and electronics to 30 days instead of 90. I'm more willing to say it's the economy that's pushing them in this direction.

You can't continue to exist if you let people walk all over you and not have a system in place to protect your business. The amount of open item returns at bestbuy is insane. Not to mention the amount of returns they get once a new Ipad/Iwhatever is announced.

I can't say I'll be happy, but I don't want them to go away just yet. Get me to the all digital media age at least Bestbuy!

[quote name='bzchanboy']It wouldn't surprise me that the only good thing about being a silver member would be taken away. But with Target changing their policy on media and electronics to 30 days instead of 90. I'm more willing to say it's the economy that's pushing them in this direction.

You can't continue to exist if you let people walk all over you and not have a system in place to protect your business. The amount of open item returns at bestbuy is insane. Not to mention the amount of returns they get once a new Ipad/Iwhatever is announced.

I can't say I'll be happy, but I don't want them to go away just yet. Get me to the all digital media age at least Bestbuy![/QUOTE]

Did Target recently change their gaming policy to 30 days? I must be out of the loop.

Yeah at least at the stores around here they did. It has new language on the receipts that indicate the 30 day return policy for media (games, movies, cd's) and major electronics (tv's, cameras, mp3/headphones, ereaders.) It's been like this since the beginning of the year. Everything else is still 90 days though.

What a way to break everyone's heart on Valentines. If true, and I certainly hope that it is not, the bump up to the 60 days returns sure didn't last long

i really don't want to see best buy go away. so, whatever changes they need to make to keep prices down and in business they need to implement it. honestly, the biggest blame has to go to the flippers of new electronic items like the ipad and wii u returning items back when they can't profit from it. The ID requirement slowed it down, but the return window was too lenient. Can't sell it in 60 days, take it back.

Is there any other major retailer that allows PMing after the initial purchase? Genuinely curious, I've only ever done it at BB.

I still think the $20 RZ offer is pretty good (though the potential to PM did make it great, I admit), and since I have some certs from the last batch I'll continue with it and take a greater chance on the 15 day PM I guess. I know amazon has recently started to bring back credit with purchases, but it still seems to me that BB is one of the only places to offer credit (and $20 too) with games aside from an odd Target GC or limited K-Mart gaming voucher.

Speaking of which, I really need to decide if I want MGRR on PS3 or 360 and submit that order now.

i bought a nook touchlight for a massive discount
it was around xmas

retails 120

did a PM with staples 30% off
used a 20 cert from gamers unlocked
got an additional 10 dollars off with some promo they had at register

walked out the door paying 50-60 for it

see ad this week
free 30 gc with purchase of nook touchlight.

see as silver i am eligible for pm for 60 days
try to get this deal, no go

BUT i wasn't upset and screaming from the high heavens like others.

it's a crazy policy to begin with, letting people price match after purchase AND they get to keep the $20 certificate? I knew it would never last long ,as more and more people take advantage of it

So this is where CAG stands :D:

-----------------FACTION 1: Blame it on the "abusers"-----------------

-----------------FACTION 2: I don't believe it-----------------
[quote name='Deader2818']Still, I wouldnt worry to much till something official is said.[/QUOTE]

-----------------FACTION 3: Sad to see this go-----------------
[quote name='Dund3r']
Don't fail me now Best Buy, I've been a supporter for too long to have something like this happen.[/QUOTE]

-----------------FACTION 4: Stop bitching about your agony to see this go-----------------
[quote name='tokyostomp']
BUT i wasn't upset and screaming from the high heavens like others.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='GuyManDude']
Entitled much?
[/QUOTE]

^^ Good post!

Sure are a lot of comments based off of one unsubstantiated rumor. It is fun to speculate though.

This would mean a lot less Day 1 game purchases for me. I'd rather spend $40 cash later than $60 cash and get a $20 GC on release day. Outside of video games, I'd be more inclined to shop for other items online or somewhere with a 30 day pricematch window.

How's Enuf handling this news? It definitely puts a damper on my "buy all the games from this promo" idea that he promotes.

[quote name='Kevlar338']Just saw the Kmart ad , dead space 3 on sale for 45 starting Sunday . Price match when you still can people ![/QUOTE]Awesome, thanks for the heads-up! :applause:

[quote name='confoosious']Do you know what "loophole" means?

----

[/QUOTE]
I must not since you guys claim using their price match policy to the fullest is a loophole. They say "hey, buy from us and if you see a lower price we'll match it". I say "ok, I will".

Can you explain how this is exploiting a loophole or abusing the system?

When people return open box items, do they get original tender back? If they do, they should make it store credit for opened returns, because I too always see people returning mangled boxes because they "didn't like it".

And even if BBY does make this change, we have to see how long is lasts before they change it again.

Crazy news hopefully they dont actually do it. I wonder what the silver PM window will go 2? If they will only PM the games to the BB prices after purchase that pretty much guarantees when we will see drops for games (immediately after the silver pm window ends).

I love how adhering to the rules of a corporate policy is now "abuse". Get off your high horse.

I personally do not believe this rumor. The 60 day window has only been in effect 6 months. So are they reducing it to 15 days also? It was 45 days before that. I find it hard to believe that a company thinks it will increase business by decreasing its price matching while every other competitor has been increasing its price match options.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I love how adhering to the rules of a corporate policy is now "abuse". Get off your high horse.

I personally do not believe this rumor. The 60 day window has only been in effect 6 months. So are they reducing it to 15 days also? It was 45 days before that. I find it hard to believe that a company thinks it will increase business by decreasing its price matching while every other competitor has been increasing its price match options.[/QUOTE]

There's a difference between adhering to the rules and manipulating those rules so you can run a no-risk small business. Regardless, now all of us have to deal with the aftermath, just like we did when Amazon got rid of their post-sale price protection.

[quote name='StryderOmega']6970182

It is sold out online. Had to google it, then find it thru various links.

The page isn't searchable even with the sku on the website, so good luck![/QUOTE]

Thanks much - might as well give it a try in-store if I'm there this weekend...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back