Best Buy YMMV Thread

mikeshinobi

CAGiversary!
Can we have a thread where we share deals we find at our local Best Buys? Of course they're always YMMV but it would give us ideas of what to look out for.

I have two local best buys and each of them had different deals:

Best Buy #1:

• Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NSW): $15.99
Best Buy #2:

• Disgaea 4 (NSW): $15.99
  • Dead Cells (NSW): $10.99
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS): $12.99 (didn't get this, very sad)
  • Some other 3DS title I was extremely sad I missed out on (3DS): $10.99
There were some others but these were the ones that stood out the most that I can remember.

Also for anyone who doesn't know, if your Best Buy has a price placard out for a game but they're sold out, you can ask an employee to order it for you from their website and they will match their in-store price! Of course they have to have stock on the website though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the disc. Just the digital deluxe. Stupid WB. Still worth it at $20. If you want the ps5 version, target has it for $30.
the PS5 has been out for almost three years and is on the second version of the console. Why should companies give away extra copies at this point?

Didn't want to start a new thread, but for fellow Texas residents HEB has $100 BB GC for $80 today only. Limit 1 per "account" ;)

Have to go to the site and clip the coupon.

the PS5 has been out for almost three years and is on the second version of the console. Why should companies give away extra copies at this point?
Huh? So confused by your comment. Not to ignite a console war (I own all 3 consoles), but this never seems to be a problem with Xbox.

Companies could still give away their PS5 games for free and I still wouldn't see a reason to buy one over a good PC

The PS4 backwards compatibility is a nice touch though, did Sony get rid of it yet?

Companies could still give away their PS5 games for free and I still wouldn't see a reason to buy one over a good PC

The PS4 backwards compatibility is a nice touch though, did Sony get rid of it yet?

PS4 bc is baked in to the PS5.

As for the slim, not a fan of Sony requiring an online check for the console to work out of the box. The OG worked right out of the box. Sony could have paired the slim disc versions to remove that but opted to require the check-in.

Interesting to see all these videos talk about how the ping requirement won't matter for 20-30 years. I think we're a whole lot closer to digital only consoles than that. Sony may get rid of that server ping come PS6 so 5-6 years sounds much more likely.

For this reason alone, getting an OG PS5 may be a better option.

What is going on with Best Buy? I just logged in to my account to cancel a pre-order and the option to cancel is greyed out. I had to do a chat with customer service where I was repeatedly asked why I wanted to cancel and if I was REALLY, TRULY sure I wanted to cancel the order. Took 15 minutes to convince the agent to cancel my order, it was like pulling teeth. Keep in mind, this is for something that doesn't release until the end of January. I could see if it was already being prepped for shipping but this is obviously not the case. Meanwhile at Amazon I can literally just click a button and do the same thing in a fraction of a second. It's no wonder no one shops at Best Buy anymore. :rolleyes:

What is going on with Best Buy? I just logged in to my account to cancel a pre-order and the option to cancel is greyed out. I had to do a chat with customer service where I was repeatedly asked why I wanted to cancel and if I was REALLY, TRULY sure I wanted to cancel the order. Took 15 minutes to convince the agent to cancel my order, it was like pulling teeth. Keep in mind, this is for something that doesn't release until the end of January. I could see if it was already being prepped for shipping but this is obviously not the case. Meanwhile at Amazon I can literally just click a button and do the same thing in a fraction of a second. It's no wonder no one shops at Best Buy anymore. :rolleyes:
Try to call the local store—- goes straight to India now — after fighting the auto- menu

Best Buy chat is the worst. I spent about three weeks just trying to get my $5 rewards certificate back after I lost it when Best Buy canceled my in-store pickup order for being out of stock. I had already waited over a week for it to be refunded, since in the past, refunded certificates took much less time than that to get back to me. Since I don't have their credit card, they tried to act like I wasn't entitled to any rewards, but I explained it was for my birthday and it was their fault I lost it. I think I went through five or six chat sessions and two phone calls over the course of those three weeks until I was finally given a "customer satisfaction certificate."

Now, I know what you're all thinking: why go through all that trouble for $5? It was the principal of the thing, dammit. Something as simple as a rewards certificate not being refunded after an order was canceled should not take a PhD to figure out, and that's legit how it seemed, because the people I was dealing with, people who are supposed to know the policy of the company they work for, didn't have a freaking clue what I was talking about. And honestly, as much as I hate Best Buy, they're not the only store that outsources their customer service to the dumbest call centers on the planet. It just makes you want to bash your head against a wall.

I remember back when I had GCU, I'd call the exclusive "elite" phone number and would actually get an American. Then after a while, that number led to India, then they just did away with that "exclusive" nonsense altogether. When Best Buy did away with GCU, they really started to go downhill, and I don't just mean because the deals dried up. It coincided with a serious, noticeable decline in customer service. Frankly, Best Buy doesn't give a shit about their customers, just like most large retailers, so there's very little compelling me to give them my business over any other store. Yeah, the b2g1 free Switch games is nice, but something like that will just make me buy more games than I need, and I don't want their shitty Plus membership, anyway. fuck 'em.

Frankly, Best Buy doesn't give a shit about their customers, just like most large retailers, so there's very little compelling me to give them my business over any other store. Yeah, the b2g1 free Switch games is nice, but something like that will just make me buy more games than I need, and I don't want their shitty Plus membership, anyway. fuck 'em.
I’m not one of those people that’s “the customers always right” but Best Buy has reached a point of being almost contemptuous toward their customers. Us old timer CAGs remember the days of the Best Buy Devil Customer, and we’re not there, but every day it feels like we’re getting that much closer.

I don't have any issues with BB. My last order, from cyber monday, showed up in a couple days with all items as expected. But I don't typically need customer service. The last time I did need CS, for a price drop protection thing... no issues getting the refund. I'd still shop with them over Amazon and way before dealing with Gamestop. At least I know with BB (no stores nearby for pickup, so only shipping) I'll get the correct regional version of a game.

Maybe my next order won't go great... I went ahead and grabbed another batch of games this morning and we'll see how it goes. No local stores stocked DQ Monsters and they had a few other games I wanted on sale (Super Bomberman R2 is $19.99) so I figured I'd just treat myself.

I really don't have any issues with Best Buy either. I ordered God Of War: Ragnarok on my last day of vacation in Turks and Caicos and it was delivered to my house on Sunday afternoon. Worked very well for me.

Yeah, Best Buy support has gotten worse and worse over time. Was especially fun the other day having a rep tell me that the order I made on a product on sale would have to be re-ordered after it was "lost" in shipping, and oh by the way they wouldn't be honoring the sale price for the re-order. That one took way longer than it should have to resolve.

Just picked up a new OPEN BOX PS5 SLIM with Spiderman2 for 339. after $75 RZ cert. The only thing it didnt have was power cable, they walked over to shelf and grabbed a standard one and gave it to me, worked fine. Great deal. Love open box shopping at BB.

As long as the spider man code was good that's a great deal, nice find
The first one they gave me it was gone, I said it shows in my receipt that game is included, so they walked back and grabbed me another open box that had code in it and it worked, so great deal all around, downloading now. The other weird thing was the serial number was removed on the first one.

The first one they gave me it was gone, I said it shows in my receipt that game is included, so they walked back and grabbed me another open box that had code in it and it worked, so great deal all around, downloading now. The other weird thing was the serial number was removed on the first one.
The BB employee screwed up, too, since they're supposed to scan the console serial number on sale and at return to prevent return fraud.

They were cool, gave me the brand new open box with had serial number and spiderman 2 in it and didnt charge me any extra, took the other one back that was missing serial and spiderman 2 code, so great deal in all, after RZ certs and bonuses I will get back from BB card, around $300 total for PS5 slim, love it so far.

They were cool, gave me the brand new open box with had serial number and spiderman 2 in it and didnt charge me any extra, took the other one back that was missing serial and spiderman 2 code, so great deal in all, after RZ certs and bonuses I will get back from BB card, around $300 total for PS5 slim, love it so far.

Congrats! I got the same bundle at target during Black Friday when they had the PS5 advertised for $350. It sold out around 4am. I chatted with target online and they offered to match the Spider-Man slim bundle for me since the offer was only for the fat original PS5. Used credit like you did at BB and paid $228 out of pocket for the bundle! Just plan to sell off the Spider-Man code and new controller since I don’t need either.

Congrats! I got the same bundle at target during Black Friday when they had the PS5 advertised for $350. It sold out around 4am. I chatted with target online and they offered to match the Spider-Man slim bundle for me since the offer was only for the fat original PS5. Used credit like you did at BB and paid $228 out of pocket for the bundle! Just plan to sell off the Spider-Man code and new controller since I don’t need either.
Talk about lucking out with a rep. You got a great rep to do that because that pretty much breaks every rule in Target's PM policy.

Found the PS5 Slim Horizontal Stand pieces, they were under the white box, had to take it all the way out, how stupid is that.

I know people like to crap on Best Buy, but lately they've been terrific at fast shipping on things.

I ordered Diablo III for the Switch (just because) yesterday and it'll be here tomorrow.

Amazon is typically taking 4 or 5 days for most things that I order now. Really making me think if Prime is worth it anymore.

I know people like to crap on Best Buy, but lately they've been terrific at fast shipping on things.

I ordered Diablo III for the Switch (just because) yesterday and it'll be here tomorrow.

Amazon is typically taking 4 or 5 days for most things that I order now. Really making me think if Prime is worth it anymore.

Yes I'm quite surprised Best Buy is still offering free shipping when they could've just done free ship over $35 like before. Very happy with them.

Fast FREE shipping from Best Buy. I still have not found too much to buy from them but when I do the shipping is always great.

Yeah, even I have to admit that. I was able to order a last-minute Christmas gift for my husband (the new Avatar game on PS5) and they got it to me the next day. I only ever use Prime trials since I really don't think it's worth paying for (I don't want all the streaming crap, just the free shipping) and they've been pretty fast for me this year, but I think that's because an Amazon warehouse just opened up literally down the street from me. Before that happened, Prime shipments were indeed taking several days to get me. So, Best Buy's free, fast shipping on everything is a serious advantage for them, but it's just too bad they rarely have anything I want or can't find elsewhere for cheaper lol

Yeah, even I have to admit that. I was able to order a last-minute Christmas gift for my husband (the new Avatar game on PS5) and they got it to me the next day. I only ever use Prime trials since I really don't think it's worth paying for (I don't want all the streaming crap, just the free shipping) and they've been pretty fast for me this year, but I think that's because an Amazon warehouse just opened up literally down the street from me. Before that happened, Prime shipments were indeed taking several days to get me. So, Best Buy's free, fast shipping on everything is a serious advantage for them, but it's just too bad they rarely have anything I want or can't find elsewhere for cheaper lol
And I just ordered the PS4 version of Horizon: Forbidden West and it'll be here tomorrow.

I have a soft spot for Best Buy because I worked for them in the mid-90's, so I hope they find a business model that works that allows them to keep running.

And I just ordered the PS4 version of Horizon: Forbidden West and it'll be here tomorrow.

I have a soft spot for Best Buy because I worked for them in the mid-90's, so I hope they find a business model that works that allows them to keep running.
Same here, I have built up good relationships with managers over the years that have given great deals on everything saving me a lot of money, was Elite Plus since 2012, miss that and game program.

I haven't done Prime in a couple years now because with or without it I didn't feel like there was really any difference in shipping speed. I'll usually do the trial for holiday shipping and then cancel afterwards, but this year I ordered things early enough the regular free shipping was going to be fine so I didn't bother to do the trial.

I nearly got in on some of the deals yesterday (on bestbuy.com) including Diablo III on switch for like $15 (or whatever it was) and what was it.. $19? Scott Pilgrim.. and a couple others... but ended up noticing Bomb Rush Cyberfunk had a physical on switch (not on sale but only $40 msrp) so I grabbed a copy of that after verifying with some reviews that my love of JGR/JSR/JSRF wasn't going to be let down... and my hype for every other deal in comparison just went out the window so I cleaned out my cart except Bomb Rush Cyberfunk and placed the order. I do not live near a store. The closest stores are about a solid hour away. And Fedex tried to deliver same day but didn't get it to me in time for that but it was delivered this morning at 11. Which, honestly, I didn't need it this fast (though I plan to play it tonight)... but they have really been knocking things out of the park on the shipping with Fedex. My last order of a stack of games came within two days and almost made it in a day.

I could have bought the game for $5 less through some third party seller or something on Amazon or Walmart.. but I don't mind paying a few bucks more knowing what I'm getting is 100% what I wanted (and not the wrong region) and I won't have to wonder what's up with the shipping for a week while they dick around getting something shipped.

Last edited:
I don’t pay for Prime because I don’t order enough from Amazon. Maybe 1 order a month. Just prefer to pick stuff up at target or Walmart. As for their shows, I found their UI hard to navigate. Case in point my husband discovered shows on Freevee (Amazon video’s free service) that were definitively available to us when we had a Prime sub, but he just never found them on Prime.

I ordered a Switch game 2 weeks ago from them. Was supposed to be delivered in 2 days. They ended up shipping it UPS "Smart Post" which gets handed off to USPS. UPS tracking shows that it wasn't even picked up until a day after it was originally supposed to be delivered. Took over a week to get it.

What fast shipping?

I ordered a Switch game 2 weeks ago from them. Was supposed to be delivered in 2 days. They ended up shipping it UPS "Smart Post" which gets handed off to USPS. UPS tracking shows that it wasn't even picked up until a day after it was originally supposed to be delivered. Took over a week to get it.

What fast shipping?
Best Buy stopped shipping stuff through USPS last week.

Best Buy stopped shipping stuff through USPS last week.
I can see why. I ordered something that got to my city in KY on the 11th and was 'lost,' then it inexplicably ended up in Georgia on the 18th and finally arrived on the 20th. I had already had them cancel it in the interim, though they never did process the cancellation.

Yesterday picked up a ASUS ROG 7 ally for 299.99 open box after reading on CAG somewhere about comparing this and the steam deck that was 269 at GS, but they were out. I had some RZ certs from promos so in end got it under 200 and I have to say I really like it. I understand the frustration that some have with it, because basically it is a Windows 11 PC with a controller frame, you can install almost anything just takes a lot more work, but what is nice is that I can use word, office, check email, browse the web, etc. while traveling which is a nice plus, rather than just playing games. My open box didnt have plug, but the gal at BB just grabbed a new one out of the box and gave it to me. Also, checked and did get the Extreme which is really fast and the screen is clear and beautiful.

Not sure if this is happening for everyone, but I had a random $5 cert in my Best Buy account, from February 20th, when I looked. Expires on March 10th.

bread's done
Back