Best CD of 2005? [what do you think it is?]

Hootie's new cd Looking for Lucky was pretty awesome ;)

Well nothing huge this year, that's for sure. I enjoyed Coldplay's new CD and Kanye's wasn't bad but his first was alot better with the exception of a few songs: We Major (love it) and Gold Digger (even my friends enjoy it).

The Game - The Documentary
Kanye West - Late Registration

They both were hot!

:EDIT: I forgot to mention Black Wall Street's Mixtape Ghost Unit, even for a mixtape it's a pretty good CD, blows all those G-Unit shit away.

1) Backstreet Boys - Never Gone
2) Depeche Mode - Playing The Angel
3) Amy Jo Johnson - Imperfect
4) Three 6 Mafia - Most Known Unknown
5) Erasure - Nightbird
6) Rammstein - Rosenrot
7) Britney Spears - B In The Mix: The Remixes

Those are the primary full length releases worthy of mentioning, off the top of my head.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']The Documentary came out this year, shit, I thought it was late 2004...well, add that to my list.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's what I thought until I double checked. Very, very good CD. Kind of surprised it made my Best CD of 2005 list especially when it came out early in the year (like January).

I can't believe people listen to 50 cent.

Anyway:

Common - Be
and
Gorillaz - Demon Days

but the number 1 album of 2005:

Danger Doom - The Mouse and the Mask

And a pick which I'm sure I'll be alone on:

HIM - Dark Light

Kanye West - Late Registration
Common - Be
Gorillaz - Demon Dayz
DangerDoom - The Mouse and the Mask
Little Brother - Minstral Show
The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
Talib Kweli - Right About Now

It's hard to choose just one...

Talib Kweli- Right About Now
Common Sense- Be

Biggest personal letdown: Kanye West- Late Registration & Audioslave- Out of Exile.

Kanye's forgetting what made his first album alright, while Audioslave was sounding U2-ish on a couple of their tracks. Scary things indeed.

[quote name='Rich']
And a pick which I'm sure I'll be alone on:

HIM - Dark Light[/QUOTE]

I thought that was an awesome album.

I'm finally getting to listen to Foo Fighters - In Your Honor. Great so far. Also, The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan was good, too.

So many people are quite fond of Kanye's CD this year, and yet I thought it was mostly garbage. Seriously, what happened to all the goodness from College Dropout? Anyway, I'd have to say these were my favorites:

And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead - Worlds Apart
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene
Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy
LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem
DangerDoom - The Mouse and the Mask
Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak
Blue Scholars - The Long March (Its an EP, but damn is this good)

There are others that I'm sure would be up there if I had spent more time listening to them, but these are the ones I enjoyed more than any others in 2005.

[quote name='hopesfall']So many people are quite fond of Kanye's CD this year, and yet I thought it was mostly garbage. Seriously, what happened to all the goodness from College Dropout? Anyway, I'd have to say these were my favorites:[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I think College Dropout is much better than Late Registration.

Jackson Brown-Solo Acoustic Vol. 1
Foo Fighters-In Your Honor
John Mayer Trio-Try
Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane-At Carnegia Hall

College Dropout was definitely better, but it was also very different. I still enjoy Late Registration though, just because it's so varied.

Gorillaz - Demon Days

That and the Firefly Soundtrack were the only two albums that were released in 2005 that I bought. I think.

wu tang- wu tang meets the indie culture
dangerdoom- the mouse and the mask
gorillaz- demon days

Dane Cook: Retaliation

Bad year for music, IMO. Not that the last decade has had all that many gems but this year was particularly bad.

[quote name='whiteboy']Bad year for music, IMO. Not that the last decade has had all that many gems but this year was particularly bad.[/QUOTE]

If you can't find at least 50 great CDs from the last decade you just don't like music.

I'm guessing no one here has heard it, but there's a local band here called Tally Hall. They released their first CD (Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum) in November, and it seemed like half of the people at one of their shows two months later knew all of the words to every song.

In any case, it's just darn good music, and everyone that I've talked into listening to the group has loved them.

It doesn't really match their overall style, but a Google search for one of their songs, "Banana Man," turned up this music video for the song. I know that there are MP3s of this and a few other songs drifting around (the band released demo versions to help with promotion), but I don't have the links at the moment.

Best albums of 2005 i can think of off top of my head

Receiving End of Sirens - Between the Heart and the Synapse
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through The Eyes of Madness

I'm having a hard time remembering which cds I bought were new this year. Of what I can remember, my favorite is Nirvana's "Silver: Best of the box." (It convinced me that the real box set was worth getting.)

I also really liked the latest Warped Tour and Punk-o-Rama releases (talk about cheap-ass music), and there were a couple of Greatest Hits albums I picked up (Alanis, The Beastie Boys). And of course, the White Stripes album was great also.

My biggest disappointments were the new Staind and Cold cds.

[quote name='Pookymeister1234']
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through The Eyes of Madness[/QUOTE]

Ah, forgot about this one. I liked this album much more than their previous few.

I'm going to add Audioslave's "Out of Exile" to my list. This is a bit of a shock for me because I had really high hopes for their first CD and I didn't really like it at all. I wasn't expecting much from the second CD and kind of listened to it once and dismissed it but for some reason I decided to give it a second chance. I find myself listening to it a lot more than I listen to other CDs that I initially liked better. So yeah, "Out of Exile" is on my Top 10 of 2005 list...

Most of the stuff I listened to in '05 was pretty old (the Stooges re-issues in '05 were awesome)... but off the top of my head, two albums from last year that I really did enjoy were:

"Separation Sunday" by the Hold Steady (phenomenal band)

and

"A Healthy Distrust" by Sage Francis

bread's done
Back