Best Full Motion Video games?

joeyd07

CAGiversary!
Hey

Anyone else obsessed with full motion video gaming? Had a Sega CD and 3D0 growing up, so it was basically all that I played. Some of my personal faves:

Night Trap

nighttrapsegacd.jpg

Tough, hilarious, and pretty fantastic

Double Switch

Double-Switch.gif

Same game as Night Trap, but Corey Haim and R. Lee Ermy are in it. Worth it for that alone.

Tomcat Alley

Tomcat%20Alley.JPG

There be planes that need to be shot down, and only you can do it!

Dragon's Lair/Space Ace

Beck20.gif

Classic.

The Worst

Slam City With Scottie Pippin

397852-1_large.jpg

'nuff said

They are all pretty bad from what I remember. Some can be alright though, mostly for nostalgic fun.

As far as the bad ones, I would give that nod to the timing/reflex games like Night Trap, the Dragons Lair/Space Ace games, the boxing/karate/quarterback games(can't remember the names), etc. They have cheap gameplay mechanics and what gameplay they do give you is very limited and hardly entertaining.

The ones that hold up best in my opinion are the shooting games, namely Ground Zero Texas, Mad Dog McCree, things like that.

I don't know if this qualifies since it's out of the Digital Pictures realm, but there were some decent FMV adventure games... things like Silverload, the X-Files and the Journeyman Project series.

[quote name='mguiddy']Warning: The may not be "FMV Games", but they are very FMV heavy.
I always loved Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective.
Also Daedalus Encounter[/quote]

I don't know if you ever played Dracula Unleashed, but its very mechanically similar to the Sherlock Holmes games.

453111.png

I always wanted to play Daedalus Encounter but I never got around to it. Worth checking out??

and eastshore4, its not that these games are 'good', but they do have a bit of charm to them and there is plenty of entertainment that can be derived from playing one. Aside from the "so bad that its good" production value of the footage and the extreme difficulty of many of these, they harken back to an era that has not yet been brought back in the recent wave of "retro." Despite the games not being super fun to play mechanically, those of us who grew up with them still LOVE them to death.

daedalus encounter... was played on my pentium 90 when that was first released if I remember correctly.

Also the Reaper was out and phantasmagoria was one of my favorites as well as beast within.\

Vouyer was also another one that came out back then and got some attention, although I think it was more about potential content than quality.

Ever played the DVD games by aftermath Rob Landross after he broke with trilobyte? Like Tender Loving Care and Point of View?

I have TLC on DVD and it was an interesting concept.

I have the Reaper, 7th guest, 11th hour, Beast Within (still awesome to this day), the Tex Murphy Games, Phantasmagoria 1 & 2, Ripper, Etc.

I love old PC games, the sad part is I never go and play them even though I have two rigs dedicated in the basement for them.

Another one was Ripper with Christopher walken, and I think black Dalilah was nother by Take 2 before they got bought out or whatever. Not full FMV, but heavy FMV.

I played Tender Loving Care. Was somewhat interesting, but barely interactive--even by FMV gaming standards.

[quote name='gofishn']Prize Fighter for Sega CD was pretty good from what I remember.[/QUOTE]

For some reason I liked that game too. The dumb dialogue has stuck in my head for like a decade and a half.

"What's your name?"
"...narvull..."
"What?"
"Honeyboy!"

I tried playing Prize Fighter, but I could never crack that game tape. Always died incredibly fast and never knew why. I preferred Digital Pictures other games a bit more (Sewer Shark comes to mind)

I enjoyed DE... I played it on my brothers 3DO.
And, I never did play DU, but it's on my list of things to do. :lol:

[quote name='mguiddy']Warning: The may not be "FMV Games", but they are very FMV heavy.
I always loved Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective.
Also Daedalus Encounter and Tex Murphy: Overseer and I always wanted to like Angel Devoid but never got far in it.
Also
7th Guest
11th Hour
Gabriel Knight 2
Phantasmagoria
Spycraft
Wing Commander III and IV
and a lot more I'm sure I'm forgetting... Oh god... I need to play these again. :lol:[/quote]

i loved the 2nd Gabriel knight

the only game i would add is

voyeur, but this was for the cd i

and phantasmagoria 2

Ahh, I played Voyeur...although not so much for the gameplay, plot, or character development.

Still want to play Phantasmagoria one day.

Fox Hunt was probably one of the better FMV games (if there is such a thing.) It had a lot of comedy, in fact the main character was in a few seasons of Mad TV and also Pulp Fiction (the divine intervention scene) It probably doesn't hold up too well now, but what FMV game does? Maybe still good for a laugh or two.

281-1.jpg

[quote name='Snake2715']daedalus encounter... was played on my pentium 90 when that was first released if I remember correctly.

Also the Reaper was out and phantasmagoria was one of my favorites as well as beast within.\

Vouyer was also another one that came out back then and got some attention, although I think it was more about potential content than quality.

Ever played the DVD games by aftermath Rob Landross after he broke with trilobyte? Like Tender Loving Care and Point of View?

I have TLC on DVD and it was an interesting concept.

I have the Reaper, 7th guest, 11th hour, Beast Within (still awesome to this day), the Tex Murphy Games, Phantasmagoria 1 & 2, Ripper, Etc.

I love old PC games, the sad part is I never go and play them even though I have two rigs dedicated in the basement for them.

Another one was Ripper with Christopher walken, and I think black Dalilah was nother by Take 2 before they got bought out or whatever. Not full FMV, but heavy FMV.[/QUOTE]

Rob was the first Art Director at Cinemaware, way back when. So I was intrigued by TLC when it showed up as a review unit. The T&A was nice, of course, and getting John Hurt to play a half-man/half-alligator (is there a more leathery human being in existence?) was a bonus. But it wasn't exactly a game, was it? It was just Skinemax with some branching. I gave up on the software side of it pretty quickly and just used some DVD playback utility to see all of the different scenes.

It was a bit uncomfortable when I saw him at an E3 later that year and tried to avoid the subject.

[quote name='Rodimus']Fox Hunt was probably one of the better FMV games (if there is such a thing.) It had a lot of comedy, in fact the main character was in a few seasons of Mad TV and also Pulp Fiction (the divine intervention scene) It probably doesn't hold up too well now, but what FMV game does? Maybe still good for a laugh or two.[/QUOTE]
Seems odd enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q36C-UHxac4

[quote name='handsome_rakshas']Sewer Shark. :roll:

Which is the one that had Tia Carrere? Was that Daedalus Encounter?
She's a babe, shwing![/quote]
Yes

[quote name='Rodimus']

281-1.jpg
[/quote]

I have been dying to play this one for a decade. Its pretty rare on PS1, and still fairly expensive. Hoping that Goozex comes through for me...

[quote name='joeyd07']I have been dying to play this one for a decade. Its pretty rare on PS1, and still fairly expensive. Hoping that Goozex comes through for me...[/quote]

Is it really?... *checks eBay* Don't see too many of them listed, guess it's harder to find then I thought. I remember picking mine up years ago for like $2 at GS. And it's funny you mention Goozex, about a year ago I had mine up for grabs, but I didn't have any bites so I took it off.

But if you ever get a copy you better have an entire memory card ready. I remember it took something like 8 blocks.

[quote name='guyver2077']the original "d" was one of my faves for saturn/ps1/pc[/quote]

D was awesome, but sadly doesnt hold up...

Thanks for the headsup on Fox Hunt. Hopefully, I will be able to track one down...

[quote name='camoor']Myst

7th Guest was pretty good too, IMO holds up pretty well. That game spooked the heck out of me back in the day.[/QUOTE]

There was 11th hour the sequal and then the third got dumped when trilobyte fell apart.

There is a fan made game in the works and they have put together a pretty good team.

www.t7g3.com

I forgot about last express I have that as well and never even played it... I will have to get a pic of it.

The ripper game with Christopher Walken was actually pretty good back in the day.

I have to second Daedalus Encounter. I have the PC version.

The only other one I can think of as amazing simply from a technical standpoint is Dragon's Lair for the Gameboy Color. I was never really a fan on Dragon's Lair, but seeing all the animation from the Laserdisc arcade game the crammed into a GBC cart was pretty cool.

Ah... yes... FMV.. a nice little trip down memory lane.

My first PC was a 386sx25mhz 4 meg ram, 110 meg hd, with a SINGLE SPEED CD-ROM!!! from Sam's Club back in like '91 or '92. Sucker was like $2,300!!!

It came w/ Sherlock Holmes, of course that's what sold me on the dang thing... and they were demoing it @ Sam's of course :)

I remember again my jaw dropping for The 7th Guest.. for that game I proceeded to drop the $300-$500 (I forget) for a 486 upgrade and a SB16/Double-Speed Combo Pack. Man those were the days.

I picked up my retro itch back in 2006 or so. Blew like $2K in vintage hardware and tons of boxed and loose PC games. I have enough PC games backlogged to survive an ice age. My most prized possessions are a Roland Sound Canvas wave board, a Roland MT-32, and a Yamaha XG wave board. You really owe it to yourselves if you're gonna relive the past, to relive it with wave table sound. Sound Blaster FM music is a steaming pile of dog crap.

Just like Snake2715, I have a dedicated old school rig, yet I never play the games :( Back in 2006 I distinctly remember replaying and beating only 3 games: Syndicate, Full Throttle, and DooM :(

7th Guest, some of the Wing Commander titles. Um.. there was a pc Clue set also that was fun. Those live actors were hilarious. "I believe he called them his PRO-TO-types." Ah, I found it on Amazon. Clue Mystery Collection.

I think my favorite was actually a VHS game though, called Robots and it was based or inspired by Isaac Asimovs work. Oh, it was so bad. I bought it on clearance at Suncoast Video in the early 90s for $2. Absolutely LOVED that game, wish I still had it.

[quote name='mguiddy']Voyeur seems to have been released for DOS too.

Looking at the Interactive Movie catagory at Mobygames reminded me about "The Last Express", while not FMV, it is DAMN good... I loved that game. :lol:[/QUOTE]oh, that was a great game. Is GOG doing that title anytime soon?

[quote name='Rodimus']
281-1.jpg
[/QUOTE]
...I have the cd soundtrack to that game.

bread's done
Back