Best/Worst Box Art

[quote name='leveskikesko']
Super_Mario_64_box_cover.jpg

I really like this one for some reason.[/quote]

i dunno, its kinda fruity

[quote name='Puffa469']That Mr. Mosquito cover with the giant foot may be one of the worst covers Ive ever seen.[/quote]

What's wrong with it? Sums up the game perfectly.

It's alot better than the cheesy NA artwork.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']1UP just added a new entry in their worst box art series:
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3167717[/quote]

They make a good point about how everything (including Kirby!) has to be edgier and more violent when marketed in the states.

Seems to me that Japan gets the best, most artistic covers.

I have a few prints of old movie posters and decades ago in America the movie ads had a great deal of class. Yet today the majority of modern movie posters are crass, violent, and over-sexed.

Don't ask me why but for some reason I love the cover art on Super Mario Sunshine and SMG. I just think the art looks sweet.

For some reason Japanese box art is always more appealing to me:

Castlevania SOTN
200px-Castlevania_SotN_Saturn_cover.jpg

Street Fighter Zero 3
streetfighter3zero-f.jpg

Secret of Mana (not Japanese but still I love this box art)
Secret-of-Mana-Box.jpg

Personally I really like this one:

boxshot_us_large.jpg

It is one of the only games that actually conveys romance on a cover, which is kind of surprising since that was only part of the plot.

I know, I have weird taste. I like it just because it's different. But I totally understand why they changed it for the states. Anyways here's a couple bad ones:

Pro Wrestling, Shinobi, Transbot - Most of the Master System box art is awful. It's all too easy to make fun of. Why is the wrestler decapitated and squeezing his own head? The Shinobi one isn't too bad, but it's just generic as all hell. And whats funny about Transbot is the name is a rip-off of not only Transformers but of Go-Bots also. A rip-off of a rip-off can't be good.
Sms_pro_wrestling_box.jpg

Shinobi.jpg

transbot.gif

The Lawnmower Man - This scares the shit out of me.

605802.jpg

Rival Turf - As a kid I remember seeing this in Blockbuster every weekend. It was never rented out. Obviously the box art is to blame. I don't think I even picked it up to look at the back of the box. I always wondered how casting is done for stuff like this? I'd really like to be involved in that process.
588616_47150_front.jpg

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - I don't understand this one. First off the original box art is lame. Anime and Castlevania don't mix well. It was a poor decision changing the art style. Second, why have the actual box of the game in the picture? Why not just use the art? I did a double take the first time I saw this. It's just mind blowing to look at. Do I really need to be reminded twice that it's "T" for Teen?
castlevenia-dawn-of-sorrow.jpg

Karnaaj Rally - seriously wtf.....

583281_52647_front.jpg

Suikoden - I love Suikoden but this is by far my least favorite box art ever. Who are these people on the cover? Obviously the guy in the upper left is Barbarossa and the guy in the upper right is supposed to be the MC. But who are the rest of these ass-hats? I swear the guy with the bow and arrow looks like Pill Paxton from Aliens. Anyways why not just use the kick-ass Japanese box art? Even the Euro version used it. I feel like I'm looking at The Princess Bride vs Never Ending Story by Danielle Steel.
American:
425_198843_28033_front.jpg

Japanese:
198843_26274_front.jpg

Mega Man 2 - I'd like to think they had a contest to see who could make the most retarded looking Mega Man. Mega Man's right foot in the American version always bothered me. Why are you standing like that Mega Man? I'm sure you can aim at Quick Man much better with your foot flat on the ground. Or maybe his moves are so quick that it's making you lose your balance.
nes_megaman2_cib_palnoeusa.jpg

Legend of the Mystical Ninja - Another victim of Americanized box art that plagued the 80's & 90's. This is a shame because it's such a great game. I have to admit in my ignorant youth I never played it because of the box art. I was like, "That aint a ninja, it's a retard baby ridding a tiger. I'll buy something good like Robocop vs Terminator." Many years later a friend told me it's actually a sweet co-op game so I got it on the VC and holy shit was he right.

6479-468x-MysticalNinjaSNES_boxart.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Secret of Mana has one of the best covers ever. It really conveys a sense of wonder and adventure. Just looking at it makes me want to play through the game again!

bread's done
Back