Best Xbox titles for a Nintendo fan??

BrerDan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Well....damn you Cheapy D! A lifelong Nintendo owner and for some reason I couldn't resist the Overstock.com $360 for a 360 deal!

So....now I will need games, and being a true cheapass....I really want to avoid full-price games! Any suggestions for a fan of adventure and platform games (I do love me some Zelda and Mario) on games out for the 360 (or backwards compatible Xbox games) that might be fun for a Nintendo fan?

I'm not a huge fan of first person shooters or sports titles.....but I gave in to the desire for a full-graphics-heavy system :)

I'm looking for games that weren't also ported to the GC (i.e I already own Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, Beyond Good and Evil)....

Thanks!

Wik on the Live Arcade. It's not a platformer-adventure game, but it's very heavy in fun platforming.

Oh, I am totally open to trying something new....which is why I am buying a 360 to begin with.

That said, I know from experience that sports games don't excite me because sports don't excite me! I have bought football and hockey games in the past and the controls just overwhelm me because I don't know the names of different passes and plays....it just becomes no fun.

With first person shooters....I know that in the past they have made me physically ill to my stomach (most early N64 games also did that to me)--something about the jerkiness of the play. I have been able to play Metroid Prime ok though....so maybe.

I'm open to suggestions--but know that playing games with at least some elements I already know might make the transition easier. Moreover, if I am going to branch out--I want to do so with a really top-notch version of the genre. So, please suggest away!

:)

[quote name='Brak']Or you could try something new..?[/QUOTE]

Conker Bad Fur Day... but then again, that was a port.

I know this isn't really Nintendo typish of games, but most of Team Ninja's games have a universal apeal that is easy to get into, much like nintendo. Give them a shot if you're at all interested.

In way of trying something new, I'd suggest:

- Condemned: Criminal Origins
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- Burnout Revenge
- Hitman: Blood Money
- Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis

In way of something Nintendo-like:

- Kameo... but it's merely "ok".

The most Nintendo-like game is probably Kameo... but it's not very good. Oblivion though would be exactly what you want if you're an adventure fan. It doesn't fit in with Nintendo's offerings, but if you like games with exploration and a lot of stuff to do, there's really no better option.

[quote name='mmn']Wow, I haven't seen a thread like this in two days![/QUOTE]

Okay everyone, Mmn is getting mad. Stop asking about the 360. If you aren't a fan yet, you aren't allowed to become one now.

Table Tennis feels like a Nintendo game, actually... Just swap the pseudo-realistic players with Mario characters, and it feels like something Nintendo would have done.

[quote name='Apossum']Okay everyone, Mmn is getting mad. [/QUOTE]

Sarcasm and anger are two completely different things.

[quote name='mmn']Sarcasm and anger are two completely different things.[/QUOTE]

i know i was just joking around ;)

You know, I frequent the DS/GBA board and we get these messages all the time there too....but people just indulge and answer. I've been amazed at how some people get so annoyed by it. I did do a look, but legitimately thought the Nintendo-angle was a little different than previous questions. Sigh. I was just being excited. Sorry.

Anyway, thanks for the replies those who took the time.

I thought Kameo was fantastic for the 10 hours it lasted. Didn't care to play it a second time with my rental, but I look forward to the rumored sequel.

Try out all of the XBLA games. I'm sure you will like some of those.

I think Fable is very cheap now, and it might fit into the kind of games you like. Give that a try.

Viva Pinata will come out late this year or next year, and it might also be good for you.

19 posts and no one recommends Geometry Wars?

Be careful with Burnout Revenge and Oblivion if you get motion sickness because of FPS. Although they're extremly smooth, it still might get to you.

As for the Original XBOX games most like Nintendo, I'm not sure all of them are BC, but they will be eventually...:roll:

(Taken from my library)

Conker: Live and Reloaded
Metal Arms
Oddworld Munch's Odyssee
Out Run
Pitfall: Lost Expedition
Psychonauts
Robin Hood: Defender of the Crown
Scaler
Sid Meier's Pirates
Sudeki
Voodoo Vince (Most underrated XBOX game)

Oblivion, oblivion and oblivion. Forgive me for saying this, but I honestly don't think there are that many mega-must-have titles out there for 360 yet, and for you being a nintendo fan sure doesn't help the situation. Btw, Oblivion isn't anything nintendo alike, but it's just an awesome game.

On the other hand, since you are N fan assuming you don't have a xbox? My situation is similar, although i wasn't a nintendo exclusive person. I own a ps2, cube, most of the other console but NOT a xbox. Having a 360 was kinda exciting since i get to play NINJA GAIDEN BLACK. I always wanted to play that game and it sure didn't disapoint me. Very good action game, awesome grahpics.

Another backward compatible game I am planning to get soon is Jade Empire. Either when I finish oblivion, or when the game dropped down to 9.99 :D

i didn't like morrowind that much.. FP RPG didn't like it at all..

Burnout is great if you like mario kart but don't want the wacky..

on the first xbox.. i like armed and dangerous (i don't know if its BC, if not, that thats way too bad) the KOTORs were good if you love star wars..

I also liked the star wars battlefront games i don't know if they are BC or not yet, but those kinda reminded me of the pick up and play nintendo style..

Fusion Frenzy is great but only if you have 3-4 players playing it. i don't like it for single player or two player.

Burnout Revenge is a pretty sweet game. Not sure if you played the first two on the GCN, but in this latest installment you can hit same way traffic. Hitting cars at over 100MPH is something I find damn funny. Hitting other cars into even more cars bring me more joy. For something different, Ninety Nine Nights and Dead Rising might be fun for you. N3 is a chaotic ancient Asia war fighter game. Dead Rising is a campy horror zombie game with a ton of humor in it.

Thanks for the warning on Oblivion and Burnout. With all the high marks Oblivion gets, I think I'll have to try that one. Maybe it will be a good test for me :) Thanks also for the long list! I remember looking at Voodoo Vince when it came out and wishing it was on the Cube. Thanks for reminding me! Of course I will have to douclbe check which ones are actually backwards compatible :whistle2:D

[quote name='Number83']19 posts and no one recommends Geometry Wars?

Be careful with Burnout Revenge and Oblivion if you get motion sickness because of FPS. Although they're extremly smooth, it still might get to you.

As for the Original XBOX games most like Nintendo, I'm not sure all of them are BC, but they will be eventually...:roll:

(Taken from my library)

Conker: Live and Reloaded
Metal Arms
Oddworld Munch's Odyssee
Out Run
Pitfall: Lost Expedition
Psychonauts
Robin Hood: Defender of the Crown
Scaler
Sid Meier's Pirates
Sudeki
Voodoo Vince (Most underrated XBOX game)[/QUOTE]

Again, I want to give a hearty thanks to everyone who replied. It seems that Oblivion and Voodoo Vince are definites for me.....Burnout Revenge looks a lot fo fun too (I do have Burnout 2 on the Cube)...and now I have a nice long list to start me off with....something tells me I have an afternoon with Gamerankings.com in front of me :)

I find it interesting no one suggested Halo. I mean I know I said I was not really into First Person shooters...but the way people seem so mad about it I thought for sure someone would say to try that! I might anyway just to see what all the fuss is about (although whether to try 1 or 2, I don't know).

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

EDIT: Darnitall! Apparently Voodoo Vince is not on the list of Backwards Compatible games. Neither is Project Snowblind, which a friend had given me! Oh well!

Second EDIT: WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no idea just how limited the backwards compatibility was! Almost none of the games people have suggested are on the 360 official list! I knew going in that it wasn't complete....I just hadn't realized how much that was the case!!! Oh well :) It's still exciting to get a new system in its first year! I've never done that before (well, not counting the DS).

I have indeed and it is very helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for putting it together. :)

I am definitely going to have to pursue those deals at Play Asia (I assume the games with English options aren't very different than the US releases...)

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I dunno if you have checked it yet, but there is also a thread for someone in your position: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97674[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BrerDan']
I am definitely going to have to pursue those deals at Play Asia (I assume the games with English options aren't very different than the US releases...)[/quote]
From what I hear, you can't even tell the difference.

I'm a Nintendo fan too, a little Sony as well, not so much Xbox... being a fan of the big N's games, I also really enjoyed a couple on Xbox, namely Fable and Burnout. Burnout Revenge on Xbox 360 is amazing, and Fable is really great no matter where it's played, although it has some framerate issues at times on the 360.

I play Xbox Live Arcade more than anything else. Outpost Kaloki, Geometry Wars, Hexic, Mutant Storm, Wik... it's all amazing.

Burnout Revenge is definitely top pick from me. And suprisingly, Mario Kart 64 is the only other racer I like.

Kameo is an excellent game. I really enjoyed it a lot and it was originally planned to be released on the gamecube. It can be bought new for about $29.99 when on sale. It has great online co-op and very nice graphics and fun characters.

As for BC games Fable would be a great choice. I has a similar feel to the zelda series and was a fun quest.

Fuzion Frenzy is a fun party game with 4 player support.

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy is another great game if you have not played it on other consoles

Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel without a Pulse is a very fun game. Also features two player co-op.

Lego Star Wars if you have not played it on other consoles

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is another great game if you have not played it on other consoles

The Simpsons Hit and Run is another great game if you have not played it on other consoles

Vexx was ok and can be had for cheap

The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction is another great game if you have not played it on other consoles

If you plan on getting XBLive, get some market place points and buy Uno for online and SmashTV for some awesomeness of fun. I would like to third fable. It is just a damn fine game.

BrerDan, I would also suggest you get a GameFly suscription, that way you can try different types of 360 games without having to actually buy them. I've had GF for over a year and have no complaints. If I like I game I get to keep it for less than MSRP.
As for games in particular, I would suggest Lord of the Rings BFME II. It's very similar to Age of Empires for PC, or somewhat similar to Pikmin.
As for Halo, I would definitely give it a try. Many ppl who didn't considered themselves FPS fans adore this game.
Also, a good way to start playing online matches and getting used to Xbox Live could be through UNO!

Thanks again to folks for the suggestions. I like the idea of using Uno as my entre into online gaming....that's a game I actually know! Thanks also fro the Lord of the Rings suggestion...I know my BF loves Age of Empires, so he'll dig that.

I've thought about Gamefly before---the problem for me is I am a very casual gamer....I just don't play through games in a few weeks time.....it takes me months and months, or I hop among 10 games. Still, it might be good to do for a little while since its all so knew for me with the Box. Thanks!

[quote name='cronnos']BrerDan, I would also suggest you get a GameFly suscription, that way you can try different types of 360 games without having to actually buy them. I've had GF for over a year and have no complaints. If I like I game I get to keep it for less than MSRP.
As for games in particular, I would suggest Lord of the Rings BFME II. It's very similar to Age of Empires for PC, or somewhat similar to Pikmin.
As for Halo, I would definitely give it a try. Many ppl who didn't considered themselves FPS fans adore this game.
Also, a good way to start playing online matches and getting used to Xbox Live could be through UNO![/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back