BestBuy All Pro Football 2K8 $2 YMMV (cheaper than half a gallon of gas)

diablofreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I go to the Norwalk, CT BestBuy near my work almost every week. and every week the clearance table has the All Pro Football 2k8 for $10

today they got dropped to $2. But being the most anti-football person in the states i still couldn't convince myself grab it. I am wondering however, if this game can be traded into GameStop for more than $2...

On the clearance table:
PS3 APF 2k8 $2 (about 5 copies)
X360 APF 2k8 $2 (about 15 copies)
Halo 3 Edition Wireless Controller (w/Master Chief figurine) $40

YMMV and may not be nationwide. but i thought this game has been on clearance for the longest time now, just not this low.

Poor 2K sports... that NFL license must be doing wonders for EA.

[quote name='Quintox']Game sucks anyway[/QUOTE]

Whatever, its better and more realistic than madden. Animations and your AI is way better too.

[quote name='Quintox']Game sucks anyway[/quote]

2 bucks? im very pleased... and i think this game shits on madden... i miss nfl 2k5 now :

I thought this game was really good. If EA wasn't hording the NFL license, 2K would totally give Madden a run for its money.

Not for nothing, but one of the big sticking points a lot of reviewers had for this game was the fact that it felt like an updated 2K5. Not that it's a bad thing, but just saying...everyone who is bashing EA for the way they handle Madden should also say the same for the way 2K handled this game.

[quote name='SGT Killjoy']Whatever, its better and more realistic than madden. Animations and your AI is way better too.[/quote]
If it was better, this game wouldnt be $2 and people would be playing it.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']everyone who is bashing EA for the way they handle Madden should also say the same for the way 2K handled this game.[/quote]

except EA does it every year for the same price

[quote name='Deus Legend']If it was better, this game wouldnt be $2 and people would be playing it.[/quote]

This was a pretty well-reviewed game. The reason it's $2 is because most people want to play with the official licenses. It's just one of those things.

[quote name='Malik112099']except EA does it every year for the same price[/quote]

And 2K had a number of years to update their game and still released a game that feels like 2K5 with legendary players and fake teams.

[quote name='Fatso2027']Anyone find a GS trade in price yet?[/quote]

it has to be @ or less then 2 because they sell it used for $14.99

at least they missed the $2 clearance table:

Best Buy break-in may be related to string of robberies

Jonathan Lucas
Article Launched: 04/07/2008 07:30:30 PM EDT

NORWALK - Police yesterday were investigating whether a Sunday night smash-and-grab break-in at the Best Buy electronics store on Connecticut Avenue was connected to a string of burglaries in the Northeast. Norwalk police responded to an alarm at 9:14 p.m. Sunday and found the rear door open and several glass showcases inside smashed, police spokesman Lt. Paul Resnick said.
The showcases contained GPS units, digital cameras and iPod music players. The store was counting the missing merchandise and did not yet have a total value of the stolen goods, Resnick said.
The store manager was not permitted to speak about the theft yesterday. A corporate spokeswoman said the company was working with local authorities and taking measures to prevent break-ins.
The Norwalk burglary was the latest is a series of similar incidents in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York over the past three months. ABest Buy in Manchester and a Circuit City in Enfield were struck within 30 minutes late Thursday. According to published reports, the thieves got away with more than $60,000 in camera equipment and GPS units in the Connecticut burglaries.
A report on WFSB.com said surveillance video from the Manchester heist showed a group of five burglars dressed in black Ninja uniforms.
Last month, a team of burglars broke in the rear door of a Best Buy in Mount Vernon, N.Y., smashed the glass showcases and got away with more than $40,000 in electronic merchandise, according to The JournalNews in White Plains, N.Y.
Norwalk police brought in a dog to search, but the suspects had fled, Resnick said. He said burglary tools were recovered, and detectives were reviewing video surveillance.
"We are looking at this case as well as other burglaries in Connecticut and neighboring states to determine if they are connected," Resnick said. "We need to speak with detectives in other agencies before drawing any conclusions."
Circuit City has a store less than a mile away from the Best Buy on Connecticut Avenue. A store manager and corporate spokesman for the chain would not discuss security precautions, but Resnick said police were stepping up patrols.
"There will be extra observation at (Best Buy) and similar stores to prevent or deter similar burglaries," he said.

Best Buy in Reynoldsburg, OH still has it at $9.99. I still bit at that price. I was always a supporter of the 2K football games over Madden anyway.

[quote name='rpepper']Best Buy in Reynoldsburg, OH still has it at $9.99. I still bit at that price. I was always a supporter of the 2K football games over Madden anyway.[/quote]

You were such a supporter that you waited until you could get it for $9.99 to buy it?

[quote name='Richard18']at least they missed the $2 clearance table:

Best Buy break-in may be related to string of robberies

Jonathan Lucas
Article Launched: 04/07/2008 07:30:30 PM EDT

NORWALK - Police yesterday were investigating whether a Sunday night smash-and-grab break-in at the Best Buy electronics store on Connecticut Avenue was connected to a string of burglaries in the Northeast. Norwalk police responded to an alarm at 9:14 p.m. Sunday and found the rear door open and several glass showcases inside smashed, police spokesman Lt. Paul Resnick said.
The showcases contained GPS units, digital cameras and iPod music players. The store was counting the missing merchandise and did not yet have a total value of the stolen goods, Resnick said.
The store manager was not permitted to speak about the theft yesterday. A corporate spokeswoman said the company was working with local authorities and taking measures to prevent break-ins.
The Norwalk burglary was the latest is a series of similar incidents in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York over the past three months. ABest Buy in Manchester and a Circuit City in Enfield were struck within 30 minutes late Thursday. According to published reports, the thieves got away with more than $60,000 in camera equipment and GPS units in the Connecticut burglaries.
A report on WFSB.com said surveillance video from the Manchester heist showed a group of five burglars dressed in black Ninja uniforms.
Last month, a team of burglars broke in the rear door of a Best Buy in Mount Vernon, N.Y., smashed the glass showcases and got away with more than $40,000 in electronic merchandise, according to The JournalNews in White Plains, N.Y.
Norwalk police brought in a dog to search, but the suspects had fled, Resnick said. He said burglary tools were recovered, and detectives were reviewing video surveillance.
"We are looking at this case as well as other burglaries in Connecticut and neighboring states to determine if they are connected," Resnick said. "We need to speak with detectives in other agencies before drawing any conclusions."
Circuit City has a store less than a mile away from the Best Buy on Connecticut Avenue. A store manager and corporate spokesman for the chain would not discuss security precautions, but Resnick said police were stepping up patrols.
"There will be extra observation at (Best Buy) and similar stores to prevent or deter similar burglaries," he said.[/quote]

has been happening a lot over here... The CC about a block away got hit also...

The BB store I went to today still has it for $9.99. I would have bought it for $5 is there a $5 off Xbox 360 BB coupon floating around?

I picked it up for 9.99 and my son and I played this more than Madden. He got to learn about all the old players that were better than the new juiced players. Plus the create a player system allowed us to make anybody we wanted. Game play also is more realistic than Madden. Madden still to easy to throw bombs to Marvin or Moss.

If for nothing, I'd buy a copy for a replacement 360 case for $2, like I did with my copy of Madden 2004(PS2) from Gamestop that I bought for $1.06 .

Otherwise, I steer clear of anything except for wrestling games for my 'sports fix'. :lol:

[quote name='iHack']np man... let me know how it works out, the best buy there has some real douche bags and prob wouldn't let me price match anything, but GL to it...[/QUOTE]

Good luck to those who like to PM, but remember all BB clearances are up to the MEDIA MANAGER. Meaning, unless it's a nationwide mark down, the media manager of each location determines what they try to get rid of. If there's a yellow tag or a manual override on the price done at the register, this means it was marked by the media manager.

I wish more people would remember this to keep the slew of BB "YMMV" threads to a minimum. The only store that marked to $2 is the CT store. It's not likely many other stores would do this.

Actually, if they have the SKU # from the different versions, they can have it looked up in the RSS by a media employee and determine if any stores in their area have the $2 price. If they do though, they may need to go there and grab it, since BB will not typically PM clearance prices, even between their own stores.

I took a bunch of SKU's I found on SD the other day and had them checked at a local BB and while they were down to the prices mentioned on SD, all of those items were long since out of stock since employees tend to grab the clearance items. It's one of the perks of slaving away at a retail place like BB, I suppose.

it's $3 or $4 at GS, I traded in that and MLB 2k7 during the 2 gets 10 promo and got $17 total

I hope Backbreaker does a better job kicking Madden in the butt, I really wanted to like this game but just couldn't get into it (and not for the lack of a license either; the game just didn't age well)

It wasn't $2 at my BB. Although funny enough, they had two prices listed for the same game. For $10, you could take the empty case up to the cashier to get the game; for $20 the game was in the case.

This game is not worth $2...it is a flaming piece of shit. It's really disappointing because NFL 2K5 was so good.

[quote name='Demontooth']This game is not worth $2...it is a flaming piece of shit. It's really disappointing because NFL 2K5 was so good.[/QUOTE]

Did we play the same game? It plays just like 2k5 with better animations and graphics. Lean on the extras but still worth $20 let alone $2.

[quote name='iHack']np man... let me know how it works out, the best buy there has some real douche bags and prob wouldn't let me price match anything, but GL to it...[/quote]

well it was a no go cause they said they dont PM clearence items which i think its total BS but i think the real reason they didnt do it for me cause i PM all the time at my local store so they know me already lol but thanks again for postin your receipt

My Dumb ass paid $60 for this game, lmao. Its a good game, but lacks in single player. Also the announceing is horrible. Very last gen with presentation over all. No francise.

All that being said I owned both this and Madden and I still liked 2k8 better. Worth a look for anyone who wants a solid playing sports game.

[quote name='dskillzhtown']You were such a supporter that you waited until you could get it for $9.99 to buy it?[/quote]

Well, TBH, having a copy of 2K-2K5...I'd consider myself a supporter. I'm not a roster update annual buyer, so I was satisfied with the numerous football games I already owned this year. :p

[quote name='KSHLove']i went to 2 best buys and they were priced at 19.99[/QUOTE]

That's the risk you take for checking out YMMV sales, and unfortunately Best Buy sales are almost always incredibly YMMV. The Best Buy over here never has the clearance sales that are on CAG, so I don't even bother going there for clearances.

[quote name='diablofreak']I go to the Norwalk, CT BestBuy near my work almost every week. and every week the clearance table has the All Pro Football 2k8 for $10

today they got dropped to $2. But being the most anti-football person in the states i still couldn't convince myself grab it. I am wondering however, if this game can be traded into GameStop for more than $2...

On the clearance table:
PS3 APF 2k8 $2 (about 5 copies)
X360 APF 2k8 $2 (about 15 copies)
Halo 3 Edition Wireless Controller (w/Master Chief figurine) $40

YMMV and may not be nationwide. but i thought this game has been on clearance for the longest time now, just not this low.

Poor 2K sports... that NFL license must be doing wonders for EA.[/quote]

Can you pick one up for me.... how much??? Thanks

$5 is a small price to pay for the best football sim to date. Leagues are still very active. We're wrapping up the playoffs in one of my 32-team NFL leagues, and are about to start a new season for another NFL one that will be taking all the off-season free-agent moves into effect:

http://2kfootballstrategy.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=6

It really is no surprise that this game flopped hard at retail, though. Hell, Madden is probably still selling a ton of copies at $60 a piece while APF is available pretty much everywhere for $10. With no NFL license--and in its place, a bunch of players who the average Maddenite doesn't even know of, much less want to play as--no franchise mode, and no hype or marketing at all, what's there to get the common football fan fan interested?

Surely not the gameplay, which forces you to stay in the pocket instead of sprinting back 15 yards and slinging the ball off your back foot, dropping it right in stride to your star receiver; or the fact that APF's running game makes you slow down a bit to let your blocks develop instead of mashing the sprint button and running to the corner on every running play; nor could it be the online community, most of whom will annihilate anyone who tries to play the game in such an unrealistic manner.

Yet, for those who want their video game football to play like the real thing, this game is a savior after two years of nothing but Madden. Add robust customization (over 5,000 plays to put in your playbook, a deep, shareable uniform/team editors, over 240 players to build a team from (including created players), all of which carries over into a competitive online arena, and you have a sports game that will likely never grow old until the next version hits, whether that be 2K9 or 2K10 (the future remains uncertain).

For anyone who hasn't done so, it's a steal at $10; I feel like I got more than my money's worth at $60 on release day; APF is easily my most played 360 games next to Gears of War. Just don't try to play it like Madden or the game will punish you, hard.

[quote name='wEEman33']$5 is a small price to pay for the best football sim to date. Leagues are still very active. We're wrapping up the playoffs in one of my 32-team NFL leagues, and are about to start a new season for another NFL one that will be taking all the off-season free-agent moves into effect:

It really is no surprise that this game flopped hard at retail, though. Hell, Madden is probably still selling a ton of copies at $60 a piece while APF is available pretty much everywhere for $10. With no NFL license--and in its place, a bunch of players who the average Maddenite doesn't even know of, much less want to play as--no franchise mode, and no hype or marketing at all, what's there to get the common football fan fan interested?

Surely not the gameplay, which forces you to stay in the pocket instead of sprinting back 15 yards and slinging the ball off your back foot, dropping it right in stride to your star receiver; or the fact that APF's running game makes you slow down a bit to let your blocks develop instead of mashing the sprint button and running to the corner on every running play; nor could it be the online community, most of whom will annihilate anyone who tries to play the game in such an unrealistic manner.

Yet, for those who want their video game football to play like the real thing, this game is a savior after two years of nothing but Madden. Add robust customization (over 5,000 plays to put in your playbook, a deep, shareable uniform/team editors, over 240 players to build a team from (including created players), all of which carries over into a competitive online arena, and you have a sports game that will likely never grow old until the next version hits, whether that be 2K9 or 2K10 (the future remains uncertain).

For anyone who hasn't done so, it's a steal at $10; I feel like I got more than my money's worth at $60 on release day; APF is easily my most played 360 games next to Gears of War. Just don't try to play it like Madden or the game will punish you, hard.[/quote]

You've convinced me. I'm going to see if I can find it now :)

[quote name='wEEman33']$5 is a small price to pay for the best football sim to date. Leagues are still very active. We're wrapping up the playoffs in one of my 32-team NFL leagues, and are about to start a new season for another NFL one that will be taking all the off-season free-agent moves into effect:

For anyone who hasn't done so, it's a steal at $10; I feel like I got more than my money's worth at $60 on release day; APF is easily my most played 360 games next to Gears of War. Just don't try to play it like Madden or the game will punish you, hard.[/quote]

good post... I believe they canceled the series as this will be the last, but I picked the game up, and it is great, you are right on point with it... I love it :cool:

One of the Best Buys I frequent (coincidentally the last one I thought would have clearance) had the clearance sale going on. Except All Pro Football 2k8 was marked up to 19.99 (it was originally 9.99) then had a 50% off sticker slapped on it to make you think you're saving money. There were a couple decent deals on some PS2 and NDS games, but the 360 games were still a bit to high for my liking. If my $5 certificate for reward zone ever pops up on the site this week I'll probably pick that up or the sealed Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 + 2 Plus they had for Gamecube for $15. I had that years ago and my brothers and I would play local multiplayer for hours on end. Good times...

For anyone who hasn't done so, it's a steal at $10; I feel like I got more than my money's worth at $60 on release day; APF is easily my most played 360 games next to Gears of War. Just don't try to play it like Madden or the game will punish you, hard.[/QUOTE]

What he said.

I would pick it up for $10 considering I definitely want it, but it has been at $10 since January at the stores near me so I'm waiting for it to drop to anything before I buy it, even $9, just because I've waited so long to pick it up.

I paid $8 for this on PS3 at walmart and played it five times. Easily worth it, though the 360 version is better than the PS3 one, it's not unplayable.

FYI this deal is officially D E A D...

I went today and there were NO APF 2K8 games left at all (Norwalk BB). They had a bunch of other stuff but nothing that interested me.

For the record:

the PS3 version is gimped because of the 30 FPS lock in all modes of play (360 version runs at 60 FPS offline and 30 FPS online) and the lack of a patch that changed some gameplay problems on the 360 version.

[quote name='wEEman33']For the record:

the PS3 version is gimped because of the 30 FPS lock in all modes of play (360 version runs at 60 FPS offline and 30 FPS online) and the lack of a patch that changed some gameplay problems on the 360 version.[/QUOTE]

i didnt know there was a patch.

bread's done
Back