Bestbuy.com / Dealtree EZtrade-in programs (trade games for BB gift cards or PayPal)

nakanenui

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
So I happened to find a list of their games that they are giving some good money on, I guess to compete with Gamestop. Here is a copy of the list. I dont know if you have to trade in more than 1 game to get the deal, but thought others would be able to chime in with their experience. Of note is the hot shots golf trade in for PS3 (if you were able to get it from the sears clearance).

link
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Video-Games-Gadgets/null/pcmcat203500050000.c?id=pcmcat203500050000

Added by Io: Note that you can also trade games in using this site:
http://ebay.eztradein.com/ebay/
which is handled by the same processor (Dealtree) used for the Best Buy program. In this case, though, you can get PayPal payments instead of Best Buy gift cards. The trade-in values and processing methods seem to be exactly the same.

-----
I tried looking for the $20 and $30 trade in value games but came up empty, if you want to provide the link so I can add it here, let me know via PM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED: since it keeps getting asked

1. Can I take them to a physical store?
Games need to be mailed in. If you try to do an instore trade from the website it will redirect you to mailing it in.

2. How many days do I have to mail it in?
30 days from initiating the trade. Mail it in ASAP as the processing time until you get your money differs and could be a wait.

3. Are trade in quotes locked in or do they get valued at time of processing?
Get your games in fast enough and you will not have to worry about this. But the majority believe that you are locked in as long as it gets there before the 30 days are up.

4. Do games have to be complete?
Case, Manual, and working game are your only options. So yes, full credit if you have everything. But we are not too sure on how they determine scratches affecting playability (if they physically test the game during processing). Just clean all smudges and fingerprints prior to mailing, and if you have deep scratches it is up to you to chance them saying the game does not work.

5. What happens if they say the game is worth less than trade in quote?
You can either accept their valuation or PAY to have your game shipped back to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is kinda weird. Sent them a game on Monday, got there today, but it was supposedly delivered two hours after being sorted, in the PM, at 5:15...

Detailed Results:
Delivered, May 19, 2010, 5:15 pm, HUNT VALLEY, MD 21031
Arrival at Unit, May 19, 2010, 3:25 pm, COCKEYSVILLE, MD 21030
Electronic Shipping Info Received, May 17, 2010

Has this happened to anyone else' packages? Seems awfully late for them to be delivering from the USPS. Also, how long does the website take to update? It hasn't updated with a 'receival' yet.

Somewhat worried since this is the first time I've sent them anything, and the tiny scribble they had for the delivery address didn't help (on their shipping label).

[quote name='Rhett']This is kinda weird. Sent them a game on Monday, got there today, but it was supposedly delivered two hours after being sorted, in the PM, at 5:15...

Detailed Results:
Delivered, May 19, 2010, 5:15 pm, HUNT VALLEY, MD 21031
Arrival at Unit, May 19, 2010, 3:25 pm, COCKEYSVILLE, MD 21030
Electronic Shipping Info Received, May 17, 2010

Has this happened to anyone else' packages? Seems awfully late for them to be delivering from the USPS. Also, how long does the website take to update? It hasn't updated with a 'receival' yet.

Somewhat worried since this is the first time I've sent them anything, and the tiny scribble they had for the delivery address didn't help (on their shipping label).[/QUOTE]

Someone said the sorting unit is like right down the street from the place where they process the games. It's not weird

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']Someone said the sorting unit is like right down the street from the place where they process the games. It's not weird[/QUOTE]

But by 5PM, usually the USPS is done delivering it seems like. Plus, how would they get their hands on the package if they've already picked up and delivered for the day? That's all that seems weird to me. Maybe they wait and sort mail and deliver it at the end of the day, specifically to BB? :p

I sent in 18 games in 2 batches of 9 games each, which were shipped by USPS parcel post.

batch#1
sent 5/10
delivered 5/17
verified 5/19
paid (PayPal) 5/19

batch#2
sent 5/10
delivered 5/17
payment pending 5/19

[quote name='Rhett']Also, how long does the website take to update? It hasn't updated with a 'receival' yet.[/QUOTE]

That could be several days - it will show as "verified" before it is paid - except for my last trade which went right from "waiting to receive" to being paid (5 days after receipt).

[quote name='josh62488']will best buy accept new sealed games as a part of this trade in promo??[/QUOTE]

I have sent in 3 trades thusfar, all with at least one sealed game. The first two were verified and paid with no problems. I am waiting on the 3rd to be verified.

I sent 4 sealed games and got payed for all of them..now I need to find out what to do with the credit since BB has so many "Great" deals..

So it seems like the Paypal option is a much better deal ... any way the OP could be updated to reflect that? I originally saw the BB credit and started sending games in, but read through the thread and found out about EZTradein.com which is basically the same as the BB trade in site, but allows for both options.

I realized that Paypal funds offer far more flexibility and you get the same value, so maybe it would be cool to make this really clear in the first post or even thread title?

[quote name='etcrane']So it seems like the Paypal option is a much better deal ... any way the OP could be updated to reflect that? I originally saw the BB credit and started sending games in, but read through the thread and found out about EZTradein.com which is basically the same as the BB trade in site, but allows for both options.

I realized that Paypal funds offer far more flexibility and you get the same value, so maybe it would be cool to make this really clear in the first post or even thread title?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had been considering doing this for a while so your request spurred me to it. Done!

It seems more of the talk is about EZTrade-in than Best Buy in this thread anyway. I'm sure that got confusing to the casual viewer. Since they are basically the same program with the same values (just different ways of paying), they definitely belong in the same thread - so hopefully the changes I made will work.

I sent in a few games and was just credited now via paypal. They have one transaction per game so it is easy to reconcile. The also had no problem accepting games that had gamestop stickers on them. Paypal >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Best Buy Gift Card

[quote name='io']Yeah, I had been considering doing this for a while so your request spurred me to it. Done!

It seems more of the talk is about EZTrade-in than Best Buy in this thread anyway. I'm sure that got confusing to the casual viewer. Since they are basically the same program with the same values (just different ways of paying), they definitely belong in the same thread - so hopefully the changes I made will work.[/QUOTE]

Hey IO, cool that you updated the first post, I have not really been keeping up with the thread too much. If you want to take it over please go ahead.

[quote name='major morgan']Fees? None. Zero. Zilch. Nada! You keep every single cent they send you!:bouncy:

It makes everything much more worth it. Not only can you make a profit by flipping, but you don't lose any of it to PP fees.

I cashed out a bunch of my GS credit already, but I may just go ahead and convert it all to cash now since I can make a tiny bit of profit on it in the process.[/QUOTE]

Excellent!!

I got all my Paypal payments just a few days after they verified.

And yes, you get the whole amount.

Can't beat Paypal, going to transfer it to my bank account.
Don't have to deal with flipping Best Buy gift cards now.

Is there anyway to reprint the shipping label for the Ebay site? I don't have access to my email until later tonight. When I login to view the order I made, it gives me no options at all.

EDIT: I'm a goofball, never mind me.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io']
What I'm worried about is this one:

- submitted 4/18, mailed 5/7, delivered 5/17...

It was a 3-game trade so I got a stupid parcel post label instead of a first-class mail label. Then it spent time getting sorted in Baltimore like 3 times before it was delivered :roll:. So they got it just under the 30 days - now we'll see if the extra time they take to "verify" it means I lose out on the value. The game dropped from $20 to $9 a while back - and I sent 3 of them.[/QUOTE]

Good news on this one! I just got notice very early this morning that they were verified at full value.

So apparently the 30 days is for either postage date or at worst for receipt of the games (probably the latter). But if they take a few days to verify and it goes over 30 days at that point that does not seem to be a problem - though granted, it was only 2 days over:

- submitted 4/18, mailed 5/7, delivered 5/17, verified 5/20!

Congrats io!

I also suggest that you edit the OP and remove those TIVs. I'm sure most of them have dropped by now (such as LBP) and it may be misleading to some people that aren't "regulars".

Perhaps post a link to the recent "May" pdf with $20 and $30 values?

Sent mine in to EZTradeIn as I have no need for more BestBuy credit. Waited almost the full 30 days to finish Left 4 Dead 2 and Rock Band 2. They were verified in a few days and it took about a week to get my PayPal payment.

Off Topic: Anyone else ever have a desire to parse their BB gift cards into $1 amounts and swim through them like Scrooge McDuck? Yes, yellow plastic is slowly killing my soul.

[quote name='virtualmadden']Sent mine in to EZTradeIn as I have no need for more BestBuy credit. Waited almost the full 30 days to finish Left 4 Dead 2 and Rock Band 2. They were verified in a few days and it took about a week to get my PayPal payment.

Off Topic: Anyone else ever have a desire to parse their BB gift cards into $1 amounts and swim through them like Scrooge McDuck? Yes, yellow plastic is slowly killing my soul.[/QUOTE]

In California, if your giftcard is less than $10 you can request cash... so get real money to swim in (if you live in California, but that would also mean less money to swim in due to taxes ~10% sales tax).

Dammit. They have shipped my GC, but I was hoping I'd get it today so I could buy a few SMB to flip. Oh well. If it doesn't come tomorrow, I'll have to decide whether to buy some with actual cash... Which I don't want to do, but I can't pass up getting the last bit of GC that I need to get a 42" flat screen for almost free, courtesy of BB :)

How do you get around the shipping weight limit on the label? I am trading in 2 bundles and the label is 13 oz First Class. 1 bundle will weigh more than that not counting a box.

Did anyone else think the print was so small for the delivery address that they re-wrote it on the envelope to make it clearer? Obviously didn't fit all of that 50 digit number for the trade in center... I just wrote 'Best Buy'. I hope that didn't interfere with my package, still no updates.

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']Cashed my 22 checks yesterday.. Lol. I'm doin PayPal from now on. There's no charge to move money from PayPal to savings is there?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Just a short waiting period of under a week.

[quote name='GuardianE']Nope. Just a short waiting period of under a week.[/QUOTE]

The waiting period was from EzTradeIn right? It doesn't take a week for the money to show up in my savings does it?

Turn around for my 2nd set of trades went alot faster. 1st submission took 29 days from the time I mailed them off til I received my giftcard. My 2nd set took 16 days. Not bad, we'll see how the next set goes.

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']The waiting period was from EzTradeIn right? It doesn't take a week for the money to show up in my savings does it?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it will. A fund transfer from your Paypal account into your savings/checking can take a few days.

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']Cashed my 22 checks yesterday.. Lol. I'm doin PayPal from now on. There's no charge to move money from PayPal to savings is there?[/QUOTE]

There's no cost to transfer to your bank account, but you'll be limited to transferring $500 each month if you aren't "verified".

To waive the $500 limit, they require 2 of these 3:
1. Have your SSN on file
2. Have your bank account on file
3. Have a credit card on file

[quote name='nixmahn']How long does it usually take to get your BB gift card?

Verified on 5/08 but no gift card yet :([/QUOTE]

After verification you should get emails saying that payment was sent. Then it's another 7-10 days to receive the payment in the mail. I got verified by EzTradeIn on 5/08 as well and received my checks the other day...

I wonder how long it will take before we put this company under. Perhaps they make money on other products such as computers and cameras, but I don't see how their video game model is sustainable. On the titles we traded in mass amounts (Beatles, LBP, Toy Story, etc.) they probably lost $10 per game. Crazy.

[quote name='joshthegreat69']I wonder how long it will take before we put this company under. Perhaps they make money on other products such as computers and cameras, but I don't see how their video game model is sustainable. On the titles we traded in mass amounts (Beatles, LBP, Toy Story, etc.) they probably lost $10 per game. Crazy.[/QUOTE]

I wonder what they do with all the games... Maybe sell em to pawn shops/independent game stores? Heck, GameStop should buy from them so we could buy complete used games :)

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']I wonder what they do with all the games... Maybe sell em to pawn shops/independent game stores? Heck, GameStop should buy from them so we could buy complete used games :)[/QUOTE]

Maybe, they are building a giant building out of all of them like a Lego castle?

I sent five trades to EZTradeIn on 5/3, they were verified as being received on 5/13 and the money was in my PayPal account on 5/19. In my opinion, that's not a bad turn around and it's a much better deal than getting a Best Buy gift card.

[quote name='joshthegreat69']I wonder how long it will take before we put this company under. Perhaps they make money on other products such as computers and cameras, but I don't see how their video game model is sustainable. On the titles we traded in mass amounts (Beatles, LBP, Toy Story, etc.) they probably lost $10 per game. Crazy.[/QUOTE]

Sure they lost on the LBP for $30 trades (which I missed out on ;)). But on some of these others they can probably make some money. Toy Story Mania can sell for around $30 on eBay and Beatles RB is still a $40 retail game, so there has to be somewhere they can sell it for around $30 used.

[quote name='Velo214']About to send a few more shipments out. You guys said bubble wrapper envelopes work fine for sending single games?[/QUOTE]

I send out games all the time in bubble mailers. Never had a problem

[quote name='Velo214']About to send a few more shipments out. You guys said bubble wrapper envelopes work fine for sending single games?[/QUOTE]

I always send 2 games at a time using plastic #0 (the 9"x6" ones) bubble mailers (which are a bit stretchier and can handle 2 games vs the paper ones which probably can't).

[quote name='io']I always send 2 games at a time using plastic #0 (the 9"x6" ones) bubble mailers (which are a bit stretchier and can handle 2 games vs the paper ones which probably can't).[/QUOTE]

Ill have to remember that. thanks.

I wish the hell I knew when I would get my card... How many days did it take to get a card after the pending orders went to completed orders? Mine flipped on Tuesday to completed.

Finally received my GC today for a 9-game trade I submitted on 4/15/2010.:bouncy:

My package started its transcontinental trip on 4/23/2010.
5/6/2010-received email Verifying Value
5/18/2010-received email that Payment was Processed

I'm still waiting on a second 9-game trade which I submitted on 4/30/2010, just barely avoiding the price drop on Beatles RB
iconxbox360.gif

I put this package in the mail on 5/12/2010.
5/18/2010-delivered,per USPS tracking
5/21/2010-received email Verifying Value (so it took 3 days to verify)

This second trade is moving along a little bit faster, which has me wondering if your first trade takes a long time because they are establishing some sort of internal account now that they actually have the items in hand.

Anyway, I'm taking IO's advice and trying two-game trades to see if it goes faster.

Did a search and did not see this mentioned anywhere. I know Amazon Trade-In had some issues with Guitar Hero games with no UPCs (Came from Bundle). Does Dealtree care about this or am I safe sending in my Band Hero Game that did not come with any UPC?

bread's done
Back