Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree

lilboo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
Well it's been "Big Brain Academy" for the Wii for sometime now, but this is the first I've heard of the full title "Wii Degree"

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=230007

It comes out June 11. Anyone else looking forward to this?
I slightly am. The reason I say that..well, um erm..$49.99 :whistle2:s ??

If these games (like this, and Cooking Mama) came out for the DS at $20, why are they charging $50? $30 would be acceptable..$40 would be pushing it too..but, would be SORTA acceptable.

Nice to see the Miis used once again. It also seems to have a party mode feature? But it also says there's a co-op mode, so THAT might be interesting.

It's ashame, because it's probably an awesome game (and I really enjoyed BBA for the DS!) It's the $50 that's making me sick :(

Guess if I go in half with my BF (who will play it just as much as me) it'll be OK.

And this can also be the official discussion thread. So.. discuss!

I didn't expect a full $50 for this, though I guess I should have.

I doubt it'll have too much more meat to it than the DS version...but hey, it still figures to be a blast. It's always been one of my key Summer titles to look forward to, so I'll strongly consider buying it.

Yeah, much like Cooking Mama, chances are very slim I will pay full price for this if it ends up coming out at $50. The competitive aspects (versus downloaded profiles) make it a better buy than the DS version as well, but still not enough.

[quote name='botticus']Yeah, much like Cooking Mama, chances are very slim I will pay full price for this if it ends up coming out at $50. The competitive aspects (versus downloaded profiles) make it a better buy than the DS version as well, but still not enough.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! So a $30, $35 price tag would be of perfect!

It also states in the features that there's a "Full single player mode", so who knows exactly what that means..Hopefully it is a good single player mode..rather then just pick a test and practice.

Hopefully this game, like Wii Sports & Wii Play, will be able to post "Achievements" on your bulletin board. "Today 06/21/07 George earned a silver medal in _____" That's always neat :)

No *ucking way... $50 again? Isn't Cooking Mama's price a slap in the face already??? Come on, i know the Wii is cool and all, but you want me to pay the same price like Super Paper Mario? Give me a break... No, not even for $30!

Bumping this up since it comes out soon.
I was reading the hands on from Gamespot, and this is kinda nice IMO!

As you train your brain and start racking up medals and high scores, you can use the Wii's WiiConnect24 feature to send your "student record" books to friends. You can review the data or even compete against it to improve your own skills and show up your friends by sending it back to them. Thankfully, the game automatically pulls your Wii friend codes from the system, so you won't have to do any extensive number entering. It will also show you which of your friends is playing the game, letting you decide who to send your data to.

So, anyone looking foward to this? Not spamming or anything, but I might just get this game via videogamelagoon..$50 is just..really hard to grasp :(

It's even more hillarious because this was a budget DS game! Most people would agree that since this is based on a DS (BUDGET) game, it should be $30. I agree, but I'll go a little more and say even at an MSRP of $40, it would of been slightly easier to accept.

Though, the multiplayer sounds REALLY cool.

However, the meat of Wii Degree is its multiplayer experience. It features three modes designed for you to compete against friends or CPU opponents. Mind sprint lets up to eight players compete against each other or the computer, in two teams of four. Mental marathon lets up to eight players compete in a series of minigames that ends the first time someone makes a mistake. Brain quiz lets up to eight players split into up to four teams to compete in 20 minigames.

Yes yes, Rayman, WarioWare, just recently Mario Party 8 and now this. But the more multiplayer games, the better IMO.

It looks like a solid title, again it's biggest fault is the MSRP of $50. C'mon Nintendo, that's not fair :(

Here's the Link if you want to read the hands on.

I didn't realize it had multiplayer. Glad to see it's pulling up your friend list a la Elebits so it wasn't totally worthless putting all those codes in there months ago.

I will get this, but there's no way I can allow myself to justify the $50 price tag, much like Cooking Mama before it. Unfortunately this will sell much better than Cooking Mama because it's a Nintendo game, but ah well (Cooking Mama hasn't broken 100k yet, so hopefully a price drop is forthcoming).

$40 before some sort of discount, and I'll probably grab it.

I snagged a brochure for this in Gamecrazy yesterday when I picked up Mario Party. It looks interesting, but like everyone else, no way I buy it at $50, even with trade-in credit. I only picked up Brain Age (which I never played) and Big Brain Academy (which I played a little) *because* they were $20. Really, this should be no more than $20, though I can see some justification for it being $30 as a console game (though really I doubt dev. costs were much more than for the DS version and the DS version comes on a costlier cart so it ought to cost MORE ;)).

I hadn't considered a rental, but maybe I'll give it a shot if the reviews are high. I keep saying I'm going to rent all these games (like Cooking Mama, Koropina, etc) but then when it comes down to it, it is just much easier to pop in an unplayed game off my backlog than go to Blockbuster (even though I have some free rentals there). Doh! That reminds me, I completely forgot to use my May Hollywood video rental coupon. Damn, as a CAG I hate to waste things like that (I could have at least rented a movie with it).

Something tells me that this title is going to be a bit more thorough than the budget DS titles you've been referring to. I think renting it would help me decide if it is worth the $50. I'm fated to have this title sooner or later, because Brain Age series so far has been a lot of fun. (Yes, I like doing simple arithmetic in a hurry.)

All in all, I'm glad they are making it for the Wii, and the multiplayer sounds excellent. I'm not glad that it's $50 without any reason (so far) for us to pay that much.

This is one problem I've seen on the Wii: Overpriced games

A few examples and prices I'll buy them at:
- Rayman Raving Rabbids ($20 - rented)
- Wario Ware Smooth Moves ($20 - rented)
- Cooking Mama Cook-Off - ($30)
- Mario Party 8 - ($30)

I'd get Wii Degree if it were cheaper. I think Nintendo needs these games to be budget priced or something bundled in. They're just not worth it.

[quote name='KingBroly']This is one problem I've seen on the Wii: Overpriced games

A few examples and prices I'll buy them at:
- Rayman Raving Rabbids ($20 - rented)
- Wario Ware Smooth Moves ($20 - rented)
- Cooking Mama Cook-Off - ($30)
- Mario Party 8 - ($30)

I'd get Wii Degree if it were cheaper. I think Nintendo needs these games to be budget priced or something bundled in. They're just not worth it.[/quote]I only go with the overpriced argument for budget DS games that are turned into full-price Wii games, with not very substantial addition. Other than that, it's the same thing you have with every system. Unless it's obviously a crap budget title, it'll be $50, whether it's worth it or not.

[quote name='botticus']I only go with the overpriced argument for budget DS games that are turned into full-price Wii games, with not very substantial addition. Other than that, it's the same thing you have with every system. Unless it's obviously a crap budget title, it'll be $50, whether it's worth it or not.[/QUOTE]

And because BBA: WD is a Nintendo title--it's not gonna drop in price anytime soon :(

So I guess it's best to look for deals/sale + mix w/ coupons for this game. Or use trade in credit. Or use referral/offer sites to get it for free.

I do want this though..If by sending records to someone and having them compete against it is an ACTUAL mode, not meaning "Oh, Daroga did THIS in 15 seconds eh? Well I'm gonna beat it!" and that's that. It'd be cool if it means you get someones record(s) and if/when you beat it..it sends it back to them and tries to have them break it! I'd consider that sort of online play :)

This is technically the first online title right? I will pick it up eventually or maybe sooner if CAGs are enjoying it. Though I haven't even picked up Paper Mario because I told myself I'll complete Zelda first.

[quote name='CouRageouS']This is technically the first online title right? I will pick it up eventually or maybe sooner if CAGs are enjoying it. Though I haven't even picked up Paper Mario because I told myself I'll complete Zelda first.[/quote]Nah, Elebits had pretty much the same sort of online functionality in December.

This is worth a rent atleast because i swear i read something that said you could play it with a DS. like you could write your answer on the touch screen and it would show up on the TV

[quote name='J35U5']This is worth a rent atleast because i swear i read something that said you could play it with a DS. like you could write your answer on the touch screen and it would show up on the TV[/QUOTE]

You might be mixing this up with an Ubisoft game of a similar type (Word Coach).

This one:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/790/790490p1.html

I want this title, but I think it's expensive at $50 considering the DS title was priced less than the typical DS title. I'll wait for it to hit $30 on Ebay.

Just like everyone else: $50???. Gonna wait till it hits $30 or less, much like Cooking Mama (and in Cooking Mama's case prolly $20 since it got some nasty reviews). Even my Nintendo Rep couldn't justify the $50 price tag.

Well I just pre-ordered this...but of course, i didn't pay for it. You guys should know how I'm getting it :)

If no one else picks it up, I'll def post my impressions of the game when I get it. The game comes out on the 12th? My shipping date isn't stated until the 22-28th..grr..but things could change.

Anyway, I'll be sure to post back when I eventually get it !

[quote name='lilboo']Well I just pre-ordered this...but of course, i didn't pay for it. You guys should know how I'm getting it :)

If no one else picks it up, I'll def post my impressions of the game when I get it. The game comes out on the 12th? My shipping date isn't stated until the 22-28th..grr..but things could change.

Anyway, I'll be sure to post back when I eventually get it ![/quote]

fucking thief, get out of here!

Going to be $40 at CC next week. Thanks to Speedy for the headsup. For those that are willing to suck it down for $10 less.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']For those that are willing to suck it down for $10 less.[/QUOTE]
Thats what she said :lol:

So yea I was watching some videos for this game. Looks sorta hard, in a good way. Can't wait!

I think I'll pick it up for $40.00... we'll see how I feel. I don't really want to wait forever for it to drop another measly $10.00.

I agree with most of you, 50$ is too much for what we got on the DS game. If this game has 5 times the content of that, it may be worth it. But Nintendo is just trying to make this a Wii Sports/Wii Play kind of deal, making it appeal to all kinds of gamers to keep the "nongamers" turning on their Wii and enjoying a game. Hopefully its more than just the DS game with different events.

15 minigames? I might have seen them all with all the videos online then.

I was getting excited for this too, I even got one of those promo phamplets. They have some cute girls in it.

I don't understand why Nintendo is pricing the Touch Generation-style Wii games at $50. If these games are being targeted to casual gamers, they need to be $30 at the MOST.

[quote name='lebowsky']I don't understand why Nintendo is pricing the Touch Generation-style Wii games at $50. If these games are being targeted to casual gamers, they need to be $30 at the MOST.[/quote]This will be the first big test of that, but I sure as hell hope so. Cooking Mama didn't do much at $50, but that was an even worse deal than BBA based on what they gave you.

When things like PoP are selling at $50, you can't fault them for doing the same with BBA.

They're probably pricing them at 50 for a couple reasons:
The Nintendo titles will sell anyway....
The "nongamer" market is likely to be older and have more income, and probably doesn't buy a whole lot of games....
Games on the PS3 and 360 MSRP of 60, mostly, don't they? So 50 is still 'cheaper'.
That said, for what I've seen of this game, 50 is a little high, which makes CC's 40 seem like a bargain, though 30 would be better.
If they're sold out do they do rainchecks or is that a special one time only price?
Is 15 game types confirmed?

I think we might be seeing these type of games around the $29.99 price range later in the Wii's life span.

Right now, we're all desperate for Wii games and will buy any crap they release for it. Hell, people were buying Spongebob for the Wii at launch.

anyone else see the commercial that's out for it? Not really special or impressive, but nice to see it get a commercial. Though I think BBA for DS got one too.

[quote name='lilboo']anyone else see the commercial that's out for it? Not really special or impressive, but nice to see it get a commercial. Though I think BBA for DS got one too.[/quote]I'm just waiting for third parties to jump in with similar commercials. You know, it's in no way possible that such advertising could be instrumental in selling your product.

[quote name='botticus']I'm just waiting for third parties to jump in with similar commercials. You know, it's in no way possible that such advertising could be instrumental in selling your product.[/QUOTE]

I'm sitting here thinking really hard now..and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but was Red Steel the only third party Wii Game (exclusive Wii game, that is) to get a commercial...??

Actually, make that 2. Red Steel and Sonic. But it's Sonic and everyone knows him...lol

[quote name='lilboo']I'm sitting here thinking really hard now..and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but was Red Steel the only third party Wii Game (exclusive Wii game, that is) to get a commercial...??

Actually, make that 2. Red Steel and Sonic. But it's Sonic and everyone knows him...lol[/quote]Red Steel was the only one that did the proper Wii commercial, I believe Sonic was just direct feed gameplay like most commercials are (when they're not showing renders).

[quote name='botticus']Red Steel was the only one that did the proper Wii commercial, I believe Sonic was just direct feed gameplay like most commercials are (when they're not showing renders).[/QUOTE]

The Sonic commercial took place in an amusement park/carnival setting. That was pretty much it.

The Red Steel commercial had the 2 guys roll up, bow, and say Wii would like to play and then present the Wiimote?? I don't remember that. I remember a commercial just showing clips of the game, and then the sensai (sp?) narrated the whole thing.

bread's done
Back