BING Cashback for Ebay - Currently 8% [Now 40 Uses]

qwerty1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Thought this was worthy of a new thread. Its back! And with a vengeance. As of this writing its at [see title]. Link

And for those that dont know, the amount of uses for this promotion seems to be doubling at a steady rate, now at 40 uses per account, and the maximum amount you can get back PER A SINGLE TRANSACTION was reduced from $250 to $200. The total culmulative cashback allowance is capped at $2,500.00 per calendar year.

How this works:

If you dont already know about this, its a very simple promotion offered by Microsoft in order to promote usage of their search engine live.com. All you have to do is go to www.live.com and search for something common, like "Wii" as in nintendo wii. In the Sponsored sites at the top you will see a link to Wii's on ebay with a small logo next to it that says Live Search Cash Back and below that "You may get xx% off paypal eligible". When you click on the cash back logo it takes you to ebay and BIN (Buy It Now) auctions for Wiis. From there you simply use the ebay search function to find the BIN auction for the item you desire and purchase it. When you click the BIN button prior to clicking on Commit to buy you should see a message below with the Cash Back you are eligible to recieve. Once you buy the auction pay for it with paypal and give it an hour. Eventually you'll get a message in your ebay account saying "You've earned cashback" simply click on it and follow the instructions. If you dont have one you'll be asked to create a live account. I believe most people will already have an existing live acct due to their Xbox, MSN, or Hotmail associations so feel free to use that if you like. This is quick, and thus far i havent gotten any spam due to it, nor have i read of anyone getting any spam. And thats it, 60 + 15 days later [they allow a buffer period incase you return what you bought] you can redeem the money.

So to summarize

1. use live.com search engine to find any product on ebay. Any keyword is as good as another, hence i used "wii" as an example.

2. Once activating the link use ebay.com to browse for the Buy It Now auction you desire and purchase and pay with paypal. Wait until you get a message from ebay and get your cash back with your live account. This can take a few hours.

3. ~75 days later its in your pocket. [60 days before you can redeem and then an additional 2 weeks before it actually transfers into your paypal account]

Again this is just a promotion by MS to promote use of their search engine, theres no catch. You dont have to promise your first born nor random legs or limbs. Its as simple as it sounds.

Some things to note

-This promotion is limited to only US residents.

-You must pay with paypal and it must be a BIN auction.

-It takes about 75 days to recieve the actual money which will be in the form of a FEE FREE deposit into your paypal account. From there you can spend it or transfer it into your checking or simply request a check.

-If you return the item you purchased and used the promotion on you LOSE the refund.

-This is only valid for Ebay user/store auctions on Ebay.com. No live auction or ebay motors etc.. Though i think you can get away with buying international auctions you're watching on ebay.com. I also noticed that this works if you're offered a "Second chance" on an item you bid on since it turns the auction into a BIN.

-You may only use this a maximum of 40 times per ebay account per person. A few people are reporting success using different ebay accounts with the same cashback account in order to achieve more than 20 uses. YMMV.

-Maximum of $200 back PER AUCTION [$2,500 Cap per account] and the percent savings does vary and can change without notice.

Rest of the terms are here:
http://pages.ebay.com/cashbackoffer/terms.html

I recommend at least skimming them. Enjoy.

Couple additions

"Instant" Cashback is now available. However, to quote "Instant cashback will be eligible for some, but not all users." Its unknown what the criteria is to be "eligible". I would not suggest you make a purchase unless you dont mind waiting.

Ebay/Paypal Coupons WILL stack with this. The amount is deducted off the full auction value. IE 10% Coupon applied to $100 purchase will save you $10. If the Cashback percent is 25% you will still get $25 additional back for a total savings of $35. Usually the Ebay/Paypal coupons have a maximum savings of $100 for a maximum total of $300 saved on any single purchase. This also stacks with other promotions run by Bigcrumb/ebates where you can earn some more money back based on an items selling fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='n8rockerasu']I think the point was, that's how they're making their money from this. They're not giving away $200 a pop on this thing. They might be taking a loss, but it's not the astronomical amount some would have you believe. Here's hoping MS Live Cashback comes back soon.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with you on this. Even in a very high interest rate account, the percentage rate they would get is 4% or so and it's not like they are holding your money and paying you out of the interest since they have to pay the seller as well for the full amount of what you bought immediately less the 10% or so Ebay/Paypal takes for fees. I exchanged some correspondence with someone who helped set up this project this afternoon and apparently the "rebate" is paid for by a split between Microsoft and Paypal/Ebay. Having said that, the program has been a significant loss to Microsoft and their hope is that people will adopt the Live Search as their de facto tool like some people use Froogle or shopping.com now. Once people start doing that, they will theoretically get a percentage from the vendors they are directing the traffic to. They have not made any money off this yet and my understanding is that they have paid out literally in the low seven figures in rebates to date.

I stopped using Google Checkout when they stopped giving out discounts. I'll probably keep using the regular Live Cashback page for percentages that are higher than Ebates and the likes, but I won't be using it for Ebay anymore.

"You can request your cashback reward in 0 days."

...ok, can I just get my money? Anyone else have this problem? :bomb:

[quote name='A_FITZ']Dont suppose I could use this deal ..if it ever rises again... for an HDTV from Bestbuy or Circuit City, could I?

This is the TV im looking at: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8753645&type=product&id=1202649765246[/quote]

Not bad. At 30% off, you'd be getting $600+ back.

Only thing is, the promotion is through Ebay, and luckily Buy.com has a store there. I didn't check, but if Circuit City and Best Buy have stores on Ebay, you're in luck, as the shipping likely will be free, too.

[quote name='bojay1997']Or they finally realized that even if they give us lots of money back, we're still not gonna use their stupid search thing after they stop the rebates. This is really a dumb business model that reminds me a lot of the old days of Internet retailing when new sites would offer three DVDs for a penny or some similar loss leader offer to generate customers. Once the deal went away, people never shopped there again. I don't understand how Microsoft can believe giving hundreds of dollars away is a good plan or will lead to a profit down the line.[/quote]

Honestly, I always saw it as Bill Gates, the humanitarian that he is, stimulating the economy. Of course there's some gain for Microsoft and Ebay, who entered into an e-commerce partnership back in 2001, but it's still not something Bill had to do, ya know?

Essentially, it's better than a stimulus check.

And don't worry, it will be back. Just in time to catch the last-minute shoppers. These folks aren't dumb. They'll capitalize again at the right time.

Till then....! :applause:

[quote name='JJSP']http://www.buy.com/prod/toshiba-37a...inespeed-piano-black/q/loc/111/208937532.html

Anyone have any opinions on this? Close to pulling the trigger- it'd be $595 shipped, no tax after 15% cashback. It's $650 in B&M (Best Buy tonight).[/quote]Is that the same one as this one on Amazon?

Amazon has it for $650 with free shipping.. so you'd still be saving about $55 with Buy.com, but that's not too great of a deal in my opinion, if that is the same TV.

I think Amazon also delivers and installs for free on top of that.

[quote name='donburns99']Is that the same one as this one on Amazon?

Amazon is $650 and free shipping, so you'd be saving about $55, not too great of a deal in my opinion if that is the same TV.

I think Amazon also delivers and installs for free on top of that.[/quote]

You simply cannot compare Samsung to Toshiba...

[quote name='yukine']Why not go for a Samsung? http://www.buy.com/prod/samsung-ln37a450-37-widescreen-720p-lcd-hdtv-10-000-1-dynamic-contrast/q/loc/111/207656388.htmlhttp://www.buy.com/prod/samsung-ln3...0-1-dynamic-contrast/q/loc/111/207656388.html[/quote]

I stopped by Circuit City tonight, just to price things and get info on the best HDTV's before the cashback deal returns, so I'll know what to pounce on.

I was told the HD LCD TV's rank like this:

Tier 1: Sony, Samsung
Tier 2: LG
Tier 3: Toshiba, Panasonic, Element, etc.

So, Samsung looks like the best deal for the money, at the moment.

The dude was cool and told me to look for the following things:

Contrast Ratio should be high (no lower than 20,000:1), but that a lower ratio could be compensated by adjusting up the brightness control.

Because everything is going HDMI, you should have at minimum 3 or 4 HDMI connections.

I'm selling my Panasonic CT-26WX15 26" CRT HDTV (brand new, never even been turned on), and will likely just my HP w2207 monitor (I got two this summer) as my TV. All I need is an DVI to HDMI convertor cable and I'm good to go.

I'll get a bigger TV once I move this coming spring.

Regarding TV's, think it through. We're about to go HD, all digital this February. I can guarantee you there will be tons of hot sales around that time, as many folks are forced to upgrade or buy convertor boxes.

I think I'll wait till then for an HDTV.

The Sammy 37" is $200 more than the Toshiba. That's pretty much the big reason why I wasn't considering that one. If I can find the Samsung for ~$600 shipped, great - I just don't think it'll happen.

Looks like it's dead again, I can't find anything as of right now.

Edit: Still 15%, each keyword just cycles on and off randomly, I kept refreshing and the 15% popped up on the 3rd refresh, sometimes 5th or 6th refresh.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Fuzi0n']Status: Pending

"You can request your cashback reward in 0 days."

...ok, can I just get my money? Anyone else have this problem? :bomb:[/quote]

It does that on the last day, you should get an email telling you that you have a balance to claim within the next few hours. Unless they're doing work on it again...

[quote name='qwerty1']It does that on the last day, you should get an email telling you that you have a balance to claim within the next few hours. Unless they're doing work on it again...[/quote]

Thanks, I checked this morning and have that email. I guess I'm just really impatient, especially when I need it for xmas shopping.

[quote name='keysersoze7']Is this dead again?[/quote]Nope, just search for a standard term (ipod, wii, etc.) and keep refreshing (I click the green magnifying glass).

In about 4-10 refreshes you'll see the 15% off for EBay.

[quote name='Telemakhos']I stopped by Circuit City tonight, just to price things and get info on the best HDTV's before the cashback deal returns, so I'll know what to pounce on.

I was told the HD LCD TV's rank like this:

Tier 1: Sony, Samsung
Tier 2: LG
Tier 3: Toshiba, Panasonic, Element, etc.

So, Samsung looks like the best deal for the money, at the moment.

The dude was cool and told me to look for the following things:

Contrast Ratio should be high (no lower than 20,000:1), but that a lower ratio could be compensated by adjusting up the brightness control.

Because everything is going HDMI, you should have at minimum 3 or 4 HDMI connections.

I'm selling my Panasonic CT-26WX15 26" CRT HDTV (brand new, never even been turned on), and will likely just my HP w2207 monitor (I got two this summer) as my TV. All I need is an DVI to HDMI convertor cable and I'm good to go.

I'll get a bigger TV once I move this coming spring.

Regarding TV's, think it through. We're about to go HD, all digital this February. I can guarantee you there will be tons of hot sales around that time, as many folks are forced to upgrade or buy convertor boxes.

I think I'll wait till then for an HDTV.[/QUOTE]

LOL, you believed what a pimply-faced high school kid idiot Circuit City salesman told you?

First of all, Sony and Samsung definitely are not the best HDTVs. Thety are presumably what circuit city makes the highest margins on. The best HDTVs that you can get in a "normal" electronics store are Pioneer plasmas, which circuit city didn't stock last time I checked. There are some arguably better than Pioneer like Fujitsu, but you would need to go to a specialty store to get one. The next best HDTVs are Panasonic Plasmas, but the problem with those is that the picture quality on the 1080p sets isn't up to par with Panasonic's 720p sets. Poor black levels and don't handle motion well...a lot like LCDs in many ways. If you have a decent, but not ridiculous, amount to spend, go with the Pioneer. If you need something cheap, wait until the next generation of Panasonic 1080p's hits and hopefully it will be better. If you need something really cheap, I guess you could go with an LCD, but that is not recommended. Even the very best LCDs have ghosting/blurring and have bad black levels compared to plasmas. They look pretty in the store with their overly saturated colors, but crappy once you take them home. They are mainly for joe sixpack who wants a "HDTV" and doesn't know any better and who can't appreciate a quality picture.

Now as for the "contrast ratio," I LOLed at that hard because it is a meaningless fluff specification and you would be a fool to base your tv purchase on it. Contrast ratio can refer to so many different things, and is measured in so many different ways, that you can't compare it from TV to TV.

A lot of HDMI connections is a bonus, but possibly not very important. The receiver is what needs a lot of HDMI connections. Assuming you go with a proper surround sound system, the TV technically really only needs only a single HDMI connection.

The only good news about it dropping to 8% this quickly is that it leaves them time to raise it back up before Christmas (like some have been hinting at). As long as it doesn't sit at 8% for 1 month +, I'll be fine.

[quote name='JCDenton']LOL, you believed what a pimply-faced high school kid idiot Circuit City salesman told you?

First of all, Sony and Samsung definitely are not the best HDTVs. Thety are presumably what circuit city makes the highest margins on. The best HDTVs that you can get in a "normal" electronics store are Pioneer plasmas, which circuit city didn't stock last time I checked. [/quote]

He specifically said the salesperson was talking about "HD LCD" televisions. Reading comprehension +1.

Samsung and Sony are the best LCD televisions, which is apparently what he is looking for.

Also, yes, Pioneer sets are awesome, but they are also nowhere near the price this guy is probably looking at. I've got a 42" Panasonic plasma and it is great, but it may not be what this guy is looking for.

8% is probably reasonable for their normal cashback, though it could go even lower. It wasn't going to last forever as high as it was being a massive cash loser. If Ebay cashback is going to stick around, it'll have to be around the same percentage as the other stores on Live Cashback.

Of course, like Google Checkout, that means I'll just stop using Live Cashback unless it's for Deep Discount or someplace like that.

I guess this ends the live search cashback for ebay now. I'm guessing it'll stay at 8% as its "official" cashback percentage. It was good while it lasted.

Well, maybe they'll ramp the cashback back up when it starts getting closer to Christmas. Or for the day after?

I think that the cashback will likely go up after Christmas, after everyone's done with the shopping for gifts and all. Why give people lots of cash back when they have to buy stuff anyway?

People are going to be buying Wiis and PS3s on eBay for Christmas, so when they see a whopping 15% off, they won't bat an eye.

[quote name='GuardianE']I like how people read the title and not the thread.

http://www.cashbackr.com/
15% is the current max.

15% IS THE CURRENT MAX.[/quote]

all their links give me 8%, even after repeated refreshes, so i wouldnt call that a useful site one bit.

And for those that dont know, this was indeed at 8% for about a month and then came back at 30% when the thread was created, so i wouldnt permanently close the book on this just yet.

Wow. Conversion's complete. All I'm getting is 8% now too. At the time of the above post, I had 15% AND I could click it to get a 15% banner at the top of eBay.

8% is indeed the max.

Regardless of 8%, it will still cover shipping on most items. If it forever stays at 8% I'd be more than satisfied. Bought so much garbage with 30% & 25% that I more than got my value out of this deal.

[quote name='aeri']If it forever stays at 8% I'd be more than satisfied. Bought so much garbage with 30% & 25% that I more than got my value out of this deal.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. I'm glad when the %s go down, so I don't keep on checking eBay for stuff to buy.

I only used it a couple times, I didn't get to use it last Monday. I was hoping for a Zune and tried to checkout on this good deal I found, but it wouldn't apply because it was an incompatible third party checkout system.

I did have some good luck though when I tried buying a $600 check on eBay. The seller found out he couldn't get it to work and was going to get cracked down on, so gave me a refund, but the cashback went through and I ended up with $180.00 in my paypal account, LOL.

I committed to buy my XBox 360 Elite when the percentage was 25% a few days ago. But I haven't paid through PayPal yet. When I go to checkout, the Microsoft cashback flag is still there, but it no longer tells me how much cashback I'm due.

Do I stilll get the 25% off when I initiated the purchase, or would I be getting 8% back, which is the current deal?

[quote name='Telemakhos']I committed to buy my XBox 360 Elite when the percentage was 25% a few days ago. But I haven't paid through PayPal yet. When I go to checkout, the Microsoft cashback flag is still there, but it no longer tells me how much cashback I'm due.

Do I stilll get the 25% off when I initiated the purchase, or would I be getting 8% back, which is the current deal?[/QUOTE]

You get the % back from when you purchased the item.

At least, mine came out that way.

Wish I had bought a few more things when it was 30% (or 25% or 20%). Went from 30% to 8% so fast there. I have a few things on personal 'need to buy' list, but I'm holding out for a higher percentage. Some of it is Christmas present-related, so if it doesn't go back by December 17th or so, I'll just have to buy them at 8% Cashback. Seems like around Christmas (like Black Friday) would be a good time for Microsoft to raise their cashback deal again, so yeah *crosses fingers* .

i bought something and have to return it since the sellers was dumbases and doesnt look like ill be able to repurchase the proper item using cash back so there goes my deal and item, oh well, Ill just owe about $700 less on my credit card.

Ack, as usual, pulling the trigger too late. Well, I guess saving $50 is a good thing, but I'll be tempted to purchase again if it were to go back to 20-30

bread's done
Back