Bioshock 2 - Summer 2009 and a Prequel

I thought they had announced intentions of multiple BioShock games before the original was even on the shelves, so this has always been a matter of "when," rather than "if."

I was just discussing this with a friend of mine last week, and we agreed that a prequel would be much more feasible in terms of both story and gameplay. Rapture is just starting to go to hell, the Splicers are in the "early stages," and it's a struggle for survival...that's a very vague, very simple framework that allows for not only a decent plot, but multiplayer/co-op modes as well.

[quote name='defiance_17']
I was just discussing this with a friend of mine last week, and we agreed that a prequel would be much more feasible in terms of both story and gameplay. Rapture is just starting to go to hell, the Splicers are in the "early stages," and it's a struggle for survival...that's a very vague, very simple framework that allows for not only a decent plot, but multiplayer/co-op modes as well.[/QUOTE]

I think it would be interesting to have citizens roaming about. You'd never know when one would flip out and turn on you. Sort of a precursor to a full blown splicer.

[quote name='Corvin']Whoa, easy there Silver. Do you have some inside track on this game? You speak as if Atari was just handed the reigns for sequel duty. There is absolutely nothing known about a sequel or prequel. How can you claim a game that doesn't exist is already half-assed and only existing for the almighty dollar in 2Ks pocket? How about treating the developers with a little respect for their creation? You don't think being a GOTY contender and winner puts the potential franchise on another level and what is expected from a sequel? You just assume the developers are oblivious as to what made it a success and just let the suits run it from here? Wow.

Like any developer, I'm sure Levine doesn't want to make Bioshock sequels until he retires, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, being his first breakthrough success, he won't let go of this baby anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

Everything you say here is true, but when you say "You just assume the developers are oblivious as to what made it a success and just let the suits run it from here" I dont assume this at all, i know that they understand what made the game a success, but in the past this has not prevented Shitty sequels.

Why the fuck are we even talking about this still. Im bored.

I've loved bioshock as much as the next guy, probably more. I have always been a devout Bioshock fanboy and defended it as GOTY in many threads. I beat it twice and have 1000/1000 acheivements (before teh DLC).

I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other on whether I would like to see another Bioshock.

Pyro you keep pointing to movies to illustrate your "It's a standalone work of art" point but The Godfather was a standalone work of art until II was made, the same with rocky, superhero movies, etc... I see your point though. You're implying that a less than stellar sequal/prequel will somehow teint the first bioshock, if only in that it will be viewed as much better than the second installment.

Honestly it will be VERY VERY tough to make a game to live up to the standards set by Bioshock for two reaons: (1) Bioshock is GOTY material in a year filled with great games and (2) un-realistic expectations. The sheer fact that it is a different game than the first will make it fail in some people's opinions no matter what.

All of that being said, I still loved Bioshock and would expect to love whatever comes next out of it. IMO it will be hard to capture the magic and chemistry that was teh 2k team coupled with Ken Levine and Ayn Rand but could it be done? I'm an optimist/realist so I figure "Why the fuck not?" I loved Bioshock and would cherish the opportunity to revisit an earlier rapture or a city or a massive ship or whatever direction they go with in the story.

IF they do make another Bioshock, I hope they do learn from their mistake and make sure of one, and only one thing above all else:

MAKE THE FINAL BOSS FIGHT CHALLENGING!!!!!!

-- 2K Games said today that BioShock 2, the sequel to the wholly owned and internally developed title, is being developed by 2K Marin and is planned for release in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2009. The critically acclaimed BioShock title has sold over 2 million units worldwide since its launch in August.
http://ir.take2games.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=298660

Day one for me!...even though I haven't finished the first.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This time I am buying whatever collectors edition they make...... the first game is worth the full price.

2K Marin? So is it a different developer? If that's the case, then fuck it. I have absolutely no interest in the typical dreck 2K studios put out.

[quote name='Chacrana']2K Marin? So is it a different developer? If that's the case, then fuck it. I have absolutely no interest in the typical dreck 2K studios put out.[/quote]

They'll have some Bioshock veterans on the team, plus with the engine already built what can go wrong?

The surprising news is that 2K Boston, formally Irrational Games, will not be at the helm of BioShock 2's development, rather the job has been tasked to 2K Marin, who are reportedly staffed with former Irrational Games members.
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/03/11/bioshock-2-announced-drops-q4-2009/

[quote name='mrelusive']For the love of god, don't tack on a lame final boss like the last one...[/quote]

Last boss was perfectly fine.

[quote name='klwillis45']Last boss was perfectly fine.[/QUOTE]

Disagree. I'm not gonna put up spoiler tags since if someone is looking at this thread, they played the first one and would be interested in the second one. If not, why the hell are you looking in this thread.

After you kill whats his face with a golf club, you spend the rest of the game trying to kill Fontaine and destroy him after finding out what he has put you through. Then there's the whole thing about choice and what not but whatever.

So there's this big build up, with Fontaine constantly goading you and even taking control of you. You wanna kill the gu. And then you get presented with this ogre of a boss. #1 His design is terrible. They made him into a feaux version of the Hulk. #2 He was ridiculously easy. All you had to do was use explosive and electric shotty shells while strafing circles around him.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I thought Fontaine's transformation was kind of lame, but I was glad he was easy as I fucking hate hard bosses.[/QUOTE]

Well there's challenging, then there's frustratingly hard. I also hate stupid hard bosses. But c'mon, it took me less than 5 minutes to kill him. I wasn't even worried about dying during that battle at all. I just hope in this new game, they don't overcompensate and make the end boss extremely difficult.

Bioshock was a first day purchase me for, so Bioshock 2 will no doubt be a first day buy for me. I stayed up the first night I bought it and played the whole game, I'm still trying to find time to go back and get the new achievements.

I agree. Fontaine looks absolutely horrible given the theme of the game (I thought I was suddenly playing Deus Ex at that moment), and killing him wasn't as satisfying as killing Andrew Ryan, even if that part was scripted.

Everything past beating the crap out of Ryan felt out of place. I really hope they don't make the same mistake with the 2nd game.

I can agree that Fontaine's design could have been better but I had no problem with the difficulty or lack thereof. Sure he was pretty easy but by that point all the enemies were if you set everything up right.

[quote name='klwillis45']I can agree that Fontaine's design could have been better but I had no problem with the difficulty or lack thereof. Sure he was pretty easy but by that point all the enemies were if you set everything up right.[/QUOTE]

Right. I agree. But given the fact that he's the final boss, and the fact that he happens to be 1000x more roided out than you on plasmids...way too easy.

Bosses are called bosses for a reason. They're not normal enemies. You shouldn't be kicking their ass so easily like you can do to the "grunts" in a game.

[quote name='help1']The first takes so many years to release, and the second takes two?[/quote]

I'm sure they're using the same engine.

Kevin Levine will be working on the title for those of you who worried:
At the tail-end of the Take Two earnings call last night Chairman Strauss Zelnick clarified questions we had regarding the BioShock sequel that was announced during the 2K investors call earlier in the day. When discussing the upcoming sequel Zelnick assured listeners that BioShock series creator Ken Levine, "will be working on BioShock 2."
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/03/12/ken-levine-will-be-involved-with-bioshock-2/

bread's done
Back