Black Friday 2019 Video Game Deals - Master Thread, Spreadsheet, and General Black Friday Discussion

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
See my reply above. But yes the mesh is comfortable to sit in, especially if you game or do office productivity in long sessions.

It may seem expensive but this is a bargain compared to the more mainstream ergonomic chairs out there. They can go for thousands. You really should not choose a bad fitting chair due to price. Cheap pleather and gaming chairs are terrible for your body long term. I have worked in IT for a few decades now, trust me when I've sat in a few bad chairs in my day. Proper posture is definitely worth spending a few extra dollars on.
Huh, might have to look into it then. I'm also in the market for a new chair to sit in while I game/am on my laptop, as the one I have now has fallen apart. The one I have now is leather, so I'm sure it would be an adjustment, but as long as it doesnt cause bodily issues it's good with me. Thanks for the info!

This is true. If there’s a movie I really want to see in 4k, it must first have been shot in native 4k to make it even worth the time. Then I’ll get the physical disk. If it’s mastered in 2K or 1080p then upscaled, no thanks.

I’m still waiting for a 32” OLED monitor that is 144hz and true 400+ bit with low input lag as I do most of my gaming in my home office.

I have fiber optic 900 mbps
Wow that's pretty quick! I live just north of the Bay Area but am only half of that. Plenty still but I always want more.

Realistically I only purchase movies or games (single player) if it's something that I really want. I main PC so I'm used to having a digital library there. And I only have so much room for these physical discs.

An OLED monitor would be awesome. It seems that most companies are moving towards quantum dots and true HDR panels. But there's a few examples out there, seen a few on Linus Tech Tips and ZaysTwoCents, but I think those were huge 55+ inch panels.

Target sucks ass. Each store had 1 small video game display for BF games. By the time actual 'Black Friday' rolled around they were all gone. What a waste of time and i'm pissed off.
I think they stopped overordering copies just to have them end up as clearance games. I'm pissed that I never saw Team Sonic Racing for PS4 or Xbox One.

but playing from a disc is a better picture.
People forget about this when it comes to movies and music. A disc (currently) has the best quality as it is uncompressed data compared to 4K streams which look / sound great but are nothing compared to that disc.

Thing is 4k streaming video has compression and heavily relies on a stable internet connection to keep the quality up. In many cases its not even true 4k. On the other hand, an ultra 4k disc displays a true 4k image and side by side looks superior to streaming. Audio and HDR is stronger as well. Of course it just depends on what is acceptable to someone. Streaming is convenient but there are some of us who prefer a physical disc for movies. I only stream for casual viewing like YouTube or Netflix.
Don't get me started on streaming Netflix and Youtube on certain web browsers. Browsers are limited to what they can stream up to even if you have a streaming service that streams in a higher quality.

Chrome, Firefox, Opera can only go to 720p. Safari and Internet Explorer can go to 1080p. Edge can go to 4K if you have a 7th gen CPU for stability to do so (and 4K monitor of course).

Though it doesn't bother me too much, certain movies and shows I can't watch on my computer streaming despite having 4K monitors, 100mbps speeds and a stable connection due to the lower quality limited by browsers and streaming 4K content. I end up just using my Chromecast Ultra to stream if the media needs it.

Target sucks ass. Each store had 1 small video game display for BF games. By the time actual 'Black Friday' rolled around they were all gone. What a waste of time and i'm pissed off.
One overlooked feature of the internet is that many, many stores have websites that you can order things like games from, at the same prices as their stores, with a much higher volume of inventory.

Has anyone seen sales on Control for the PC? Idk if it's epic games store exclusivity or what, but I cannot find any storefronts or third party vendors doing sales on it. Please help if you know!

Got most of what I wanted and needed.

There was only about 10 people waiting in line at BB at 2pm yesterday. May be it was the weather.

Sidenote- do the Sam's Club fuel stations need ti be a member? Just curious, I drove by a station with 7-10c cheaper fuel than anywhere else.

Got most of what I wanted and needed.
There was only about 10 people waiting in line at BB at 2pm yesterday. May be it was the weather.

Sidenote- do the Sam's Club fuel stations need ti be a member? Just curious, I drove by a station with 7-10c cheaper fuel than anywhere else.
Generally yes, but some Sam's Club let non-members refuel too, 5 cent/gallon more than the lowest price offered to their members

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

It did seem like the video game displays were much smaller and/or fewer than years past. My Target had one two sided display of games and that was it. Was like 4 last year and most of them were 4 sided. Same with Wal Mart. I was able to get the games I wanted online, so it still worked out ok for me. I just picked up movies in store. Spent too much, but I do that every year, lol.

It did seem like the video game displays were much smaller and/or fewer than years past. My Target had one two sided display of games and that was it. Was like 4 last year and most of them were 4 sided. Same with Wal Mart. I was able to get the games I wanted online, so it still worked out ok for me. I just picked up movies in store. Spent too much, but I do that every year, lol.
I've noticed this at other retailers too this week, like Best Buy. Most of the bigger sale titles were not even stocked for Black Friday. Almost seems like there's been a decision to scale back for physical titles this BF and just concede to online sales instead. Case in point, some of the bigger titles are already sold out on retailer websites, since they're mostly unavailable at b&m stores.

My Target set up a single stand with the biggest games, NBA and the like, while simply leaving everything else in the normal cases, which was a major headache.

Think I'm finally done:

Sekiro

Control

TC: Breakpoint

Skyrim SE

Kingdom Hearts 3

Resident Evil 2

Borderlands 3

Crash Team Racing

Crash N Sane Trilogy

Days Gone

Wreckfest (Trading in)

NHL 20

Far Cry New Dawn

Injustice 2

Horizon Zero Dawn

God Of War

Bloodborne

Ratchet and Clank

This Is The Police 2

Earthfall Deluxe

And a new XB1S which came with Star Wars. I'm good until next Black Friday.

Thing is 4k streaming video has compression and heavily relies on a stable internet connection to keep the quality up. In many cases its not even true 4k. On the other hand, an ultra 4k disc displays a true 4k image and side by side looks superior to streaming. Audio and HDR is stronger as well. Of course it just depends on what is acceptable to someone. Streaming is convenient but there are some of us who prefer a physical disc for movies. I only stream for casual viewing like YouTube or Netflix.
And then there are the insane people like me who agree with you, but build a Plex server with a ridiculous amount of storage and purchase and rip 4K discs with 100% fidelity (no re-encoding) so my whole library is streamable at maximum quality from inside my house. :)

Didn't get a whole lot.

Sekiro

Days Gone

Indivisible

Mega Man 11

2tb SSD for my PS4

a 1tb SSD for my brother's PS4

oh and a couple of little things like every part I need to build a brand new PC....so yay :D/

My BF shopping is officially done:

PS4 1TB Only on PlayStation Bundle

Marvel's Spider-Man GotY Edition

Gran Turismo Sport

Nintendo Online 12 month sub - digital

Sony DS4 Red Camo Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller

PS+ 12 month sub - digital

Non-BF buys (no sales, just good prices):

The Crew 2 (XB1) - Redbox

MLB The Show 19 - Redbox

SanDisk Ultra 128GB micro SD card (for NSW Lite use)

So is the $7 off a Pro-Controller for Nintendo Switch as good of a deal as it gets with them?
Bought a few earlier this year off ebay from random ppl in "like new" condition for around $35-$40 - just the controller no accessories(cable or anything else) They looked brand new to me. maybe a bit of dust. no problems so far. one was for a buddy. no complaints from him either.

We bought these on sale around the same time to charge it. Nyko Charge Dock - No issues with it either.

Potassium overdoses cause hyperkalemia and various medications can exacerbate these issues. Kidney failure and heart problems (including death). This is why it's regulated and they legally can't put that much potassium in. It's not a scam. It's protecting idiots from themselves. Please don't spread misinformation about serious health issues.

https://www.healthline.com/health/high-potassium-hyperkalemia#symptoms
You seem like the uninformed idiot and hypocrite. I'm talking about making sure you get or take %100 rda for potassium which is 4700mg every day. That the hyperhydroisis is a potassium deficiency but you go on about the opposite try to scare people about k+ toxicity when I'm talking about a deficiency, just more backwards demonic propaganda crap, I see you agent of crap. Then you start propaganda fear mongering about potassium toxicity or overdose which is hypercalemia.

I stopped and cured hyperhydroisis stating its a potassium deficiency then actually give a crap I have real world experience and practice in this to know how hard it is to get %100 rda potassium 4700mg everyday and the propaganda state limiting the supplement dosages to 100mg when rda is 4700mg. Anyone with a brain can see its being limited and pushed down and you lean into that.

The odds and statistics show most people are deficient for more than anyone or a large population being toxic in potassium. what an ass you are. Why don't you just tell people to eat sugar and never get %100 rda of potassium or any other mineral vital to life and health. Give me a break what a joke and crap person. To spread fear to put down the truth, I SEE YOU DEMON AND I SMITE THEM ALL.

Show me a statistic probly false information anyways everyone is deficient in potassium and no one is toxic. Its the highest dose or requirement needed daily for optimal even just baseline health 4700mg a day supplements are limited to 100mg other than bulk supplements powder which I love potassium citrate this is the 24h cocaine that you need and have problems if you don't.

Tell another ignorant person reeling with a chronic health issue inflammatory condition that a 47th of what they need is regulated and good? You're 46/47th away from being a good person and 46/47th a demon creating pain and suffering chaos for what reason? For what gain?

See the whole world needs to know what I know about minerals and dis-ease, they wouldn't go spouting the opposite blindly repeating propaganda harming random people keeping them in metabolic prison or hell.

To be able to kill all negative thoughts, you probly don't even think thats possible but I know it. I turn it on and off focusing on acute inflammatory conditions as that's an old trick I mapped out good bit ago. Starting with realizing potassium is more like 24h cocaine and the lack of that is ill health.

If we all need 4700mg of potassium the 24h cocaine then what do you think that means if we don't get it everyday? Enjoy being trash I mapped and logged my way out of it.

What the crap do you know other than repeating propaganda, not thinking for yourself and damaging others?

^ This isn't CAGBlogs and too much Potassium is bad for your Heart and Kidneys. That's all I'm going to say on that. 

I just got back from Walmart and it was a sad sight. They had all of the Black Friday "deals" at the front of the store for games and movies. Even if the same exact game or movie was in Electronics and someone was trying to buy it they would not price match the Black Friday price. I felt bad for the people who were trying to find what they were looking for and getting shot down by the miserable Tuesday of a manager. 

I stupidly wasted the gas trying to find Avengers Endgame for the $7.96 which were all gone. The OCD in me wouldn't have been happy with the promo copy which everything for Black Friday was part of for the most part. Not many employees around as usual either. I noticed there weren't much sale price changes on anything. Anything Black Friday was mostly shoved into a cardboard bin or pallet stack. This was around 11:30 pm so the early barrage of people were gone.

I don't think this year was much of a blowout for anyone unless you got lucky with price errors or a rare find. Crap Friday and Gray Thursday.

Do not need to be a member. But they may restrict the credit card. I have not been to a Sam's club fueld station in about 2 years. I know Costco used to restrict the type of card you can use, for example a few years ago they would only accept Visa, Mastercard, or debit. AmEx was not accpeted until recently.

Sure; Game Pass is the better deal, but not everyone likes digital media. Some of us, including myself, prefer physical.

If you can’t hold it in your hands, you don’t really own it. I don’t like that.
Something we found out quite by accident was that gamepass can be shared over two consoles, with full access to games. We were planning to sell my old Xbox One S, now that I've upgraded to X1X, until we realized there were a ton of games that she wanted to play on GPU, which I wasn't fully aware of. Turns out all I had to do was log into the S and declare it my home console. So now, she has access to all game pass games piggybacking off my account and I can still log into my Xbox and play those games as well. Only thing we haven't tried is if she can use my gold access for online. If so, that's pretty huge for any co-op games since we can play together with one sub and not be paying for the games either. That's pretty intense IMO.

^ This isn't CAGBlogs and too much Potassium is bad for your Heart and Kidneys. That's all I'm going to say on that.

I just got back from Walmart and it was a sad sight. They had all of the Black Friday "deals" at the front of the store for games and movies. Even if the same exact game or movie was in Electronics and someone was trying to buy it they would not price match the Black Friday price. I felt bad for the people who were trying to find what they were looking for and getting shot down by the miserable Tuesday of a manager.

I stupidly wasted the gas trying to find Avengers Endgame for the $7.96 which were all gone. The OCD in me wouldn't have been happy with the promo copy which everything for Black Friday was part of for the most part. Not many employees around as usual either. I noticed there weren't much sale price changes on anything. Anything Black Friday was mostly shoved into a cardboard bin or pallet stack. This was around 11:30 pm so the early barrage of people were gone.

I don't think this year was much of a blowout for anyone unless you got lucky with price errors or a rare find. Crap Friday and Gray Thursday.
I bought 2 4K movies with the Promo sticker on the plastic so it wasn't on the actual cover.

Potassium.  Actual info on how much the average American gets, how much is in various foods, etc.  Do not blindly take massive amounts of something if you do not know how much you are already getting from your food and certainly not because a random person on a web forum told you to.  You might need more, you might not.  This is not an appropriate forum for this discussion though and frankly every post on it (including this one, HI MODS) should be removed IMHO.  

I'm annoyed I haven't been able to find the combo of movies I'm looking for. John Wick 3 is sold out, Spider-Verse is sold out.

You seem like the uninformed idiot and hypocrite. I'm talking about making sure you get or take %100 rda for potassium which is 4700mg every day. That the hyperhydroisis is a potassium deficiency but you go on about the opposite try to scare people about k+ toxicity when I'm talking about a deficiency, just more backwards demonic propaganda crap, I see you agent of crap. Then you start propaganda fear mongering about potassium toxicity or overdose which is hypercalemia.

I stopped and cured hyperhydroisis stating its a potassium deficiency then actually give a crap I have real world experience and practice in this to know how hard it is to get %100 rda potassium 4700mg everyday and the propaganda state limiting the supplement dosages to 100mg when rda is 4700mg. Anyone with a brain can see its being limited and pushed down and you lean into that.

The odds and statistics show most people are deficient for more than anyone or a large population being toxic in potassium. what an ass you are. Why don't you just tell people to eat sugar and never get %100 rda of potassium or any other mineral vital to life and health. Give me a break what a joke and crap person. To spread fear to put down the truth, I SEE YOU DEMON AND I SMITE THEM ALL.

Show me a statistic probly false information anyways everyone is deficient in potassium and no one is toxic. Its the highest dose or requirement needed daily for optimal even just baseline health 4700mg a day supplements are limited to 100mg other than bulk supplements powder which I love potassium citrate this is the 24h cocaine that you need and have problems if you don't.

Tell another ignorant person reeling with a chronic health issue inflammatory condition that a 47th of what they need is regulated and good? You're 46/47th away from being a good person and 46/47th a demon creating pain and suffering chaos for what reason? For what gain?

See the whole world needs to know what I know about minerals and dis-ease, they wouldn't go spouting the opposite blindly repeating propaganda harming random people keeping them in metabolic prison or hell.

To be able to kill all negative thoughts, you probly don't even think thats possible but I know it. I turn it on and off focusing on acute inflammatory conditions as that's an old trick I mapped out good bit ago. Starting with realizing potassium is more like 24h cocaine and the lack of that is ill health.

If we all need 4700mg of potassium the 24h cocaine then what do you think that means if we don't get it everyday? Enjoy being trash I mapped and logged my way out of it.

What the crap do you know other than repeating propaganda, not thinking for yourself and damaging others?
Is it wrong that I read this in the voice of Alex Jones (especially after the ‘I SEE YOU DEMON AND I SMITE THEM ALL’)?

Think I'm finally done:

Sekiro

Control

TC: Breakpoint

Skyrim SE

Kingdom Hearts 3

Resident Evil 2

Borderlands 3

Crash Team Racing

Crash N Sane Trilogy

Days Gone

Wreckfest (Trading in)

NHL 20

Far Cry New Dawn

Injustice 2

Horizon Zero Dawn

God Of War

Bloodborne

Ratchet and Clank

This Is The Police 2

Earthfall Deluxe

And a new XB1S which came with Star Wars. I'm good until next Black Friday.
I bet 85% of the games still gonna be sitting there collecting dust for a couple of years. Then you'll be on here saying this and that about BF 2019 doing the its after math some time later.

I bet 85% of the games still gonna be sitting there collecting dust for a couple of years. Then you'll be on here saying this and that about BF 2019 doing the its after math some time later.
Nah, theyll either get played or traded in within the next 2-3 months. I never let games sit there if I have no intention of playing them. I dont buy games throughout the year.

And then there are the insane people like me who agree with you, but build a Plex server with a ridiculous amount of storage and purchase and rip 4K discs with 100% fidelity (no re-encoding) so my whole library is streamable at maximum quality from inside my house. :)
I assume you have the set up to run that content in 4K from your Plex Server and device it is streaming on but for others wanting to do this.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/203810286-what-media-formats-are-supported/

"4K (UHD) Direct Play Video Support
Some 4K (ultra high definition) devices are recognized by the Plex app. We’re working to bring 4K playback support to other devices, too. 4K/UHD content matching the following will Direct Play on supported devices:

Container: MP4
Resolution: 3840×2160 or smaller
Video Encoding: HEVC (H.265)
Video Frame Rate: 30fps
Video Bit Depth: 8

4K content not matching the above properties will be transcoded to 1080p. Transcoding 4K content is a very intensive process and will require a powerful computer running Plex Media Server."

Essentially if you do not encode to those specs and / or have a computer strong enough (computer specs to stream 4K: https://support.plex.tv/articles/201774043-what-kind-of-cpu-do-i-need-for-my-server/) to run your Plex Server, it'll always show that 4K rip in 1080p.

Most people don't rip 4K disc to it's higher 4K quality because of the ripped (uncompressed) size being between 15GB - 50GB per movie but for streaming, it needs to be ripped properly or it will not stream in 4K depending on what service you use.

For NHL 20, he's got until February before its value goes below what its B2G1F price was. Every year on that game the smart play is to buy it on Black Friday, dump before the NHL All-Star weekend, then if it's still great rebuy on All-Star weekend's sale, then dump again before HUT Team of the Year or NHL Playoffs begin. Never buy that game at full price/day 1.

So is the $7 off a Pro-Controller for Nintendo Switch as good of a deal as it gets with them?
I know that people typically aren't crazy about third-party controllers, but Walmart has the PowerA Enhanced Wireless Controller for Nintendo Switch on sale for $29.00. I bought one of these because that Pro Controller is too rich for my blood at the moment.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=powera%20enhanced%20wireless%20controller%20for%20nintendo%20switch&typeahead=enhanced%20wir

PowerA made the Moga controllers for Android, so I've been using their products for years. I also have a wired PowerA Xbox One controller that I use on my PC for Steam. There are several styles available. I bought the one with the Super Mario Bros 3 design the other night.

And I assume that because it's Walmart, you could probably return the controller a bit more easily there if you don't like it than you could at other stores. Just buy one in store.

The Walmart employees in the electronics section at my local store never moved any of the games or movies into a separate section. There were two shopping carts that they just dumped everything into. I spent an hour walking around and scanning stuff yesterday. It was exhausting, and in the end, I didn't buy anything gaming-related.

It was a pretty good BF for me this year. Here’s my haul:

Best Buy:

Resident Evil 2
Aquaman 4K
Captain Marvel Blu-ray

Walmart:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Avengers: Endgame 4K
Spider-Man: Far From Home 4K
Shazam 4K
X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K

Saugagamers.com:

PS+ 12 month subscription

And my favorite item this year. My non-gaming/movie item from Knucklebonz.com:

Mercyful Fate 3D vinyl Darkness Version, w/ certificate of authenticity signed by King Diamond. (Any King or Fate fans here??).

That’s it. Relatively small for me, but I got everything I wanted with little to no effort. When I went to Walmart for the movies on thanksgiving night around 9:30, it was pretty dead and I found everything. I was kind of surprised. I felt more people were in the grocery section than the rest of the store.

Same. People who try to justify all digital at this point in time are fooling themselves. Basically no way that you can logically justify it as long as physical games are still in store.
I see that I started a long discussion on physical vs digital but the thing is, I was talking about Game Pass. You never own those games. I like to play games, not collect them. When I buy physical, the only advantage is that I can resell them and get a few bucks back. Considering that Game Pass is 10 bucks and the game is 30, it's going to be a lot cheaper to just play on Game Pass. If you MUST own the game, you could get it in another year when the game is selling for 10 dollars itself. This isn't going to be some rare gem of a game.

I used to have a collection of games but at some point I decided to get rid of them, it was quite freeing. If I were to collect games at this point (and I'm not) I would collect games that are valuable. Not games that are going to be worth $1 in five years.

I saw the discussion switched to movies for a while. I agree the physical movie discs look better. I used to buy a lot of movies but have long since stopped. I do buy one or two physical movies a year but usually I just watch them on Netflix. I kept the disc in the mail service as well as using the streaming service. Now kids movies are a different story. When you've got kids and they want to watch some movie 100 times in 10 days then it's worth it to buy the movie. I find myself buying more movies for them than I do for myself.

I think that over time, with a family, and as the kids have gotten older my priorities have just changed a lot. I don't see the value in owning thousands of video games just to have them. Plus if you have any sort of hoarding tendencies in family you need to think long and hard about if you're a collector or a hoarder.

I see that I started a long discussion on physical vs digital but the thing is, I was talking about Game Pass. You never own those games. I like to play games, not collect them. When I buy physical, the only advantage is that I can resell them and get a few bucks back. Considering that Game Pass is 10 bucks and the game is 30, it's going to be a lot cheaper to just play on Game Pass. If you MUST own the game, you could get it in another year when the game is selling for 10 dollars itself. This isn't going to be some rare gem of a game.

I used to have a collection of games but at some point I decided to get rid of them, it was quite freeing. If I were to collect games at this point (and I'm not) I would collect games that are valuable. Not games that are going to be worth $1 in five years.

I saw the discussion switched to movies for a while. I agree the physical movie discs look better. I used to buy a lot of movies but have long since stopped. I do buy one or two physical movies a year but usually I just watch them on Netflix. I kept the disc in the mail service as well as using the streaming service. Now kids movies are a different story. When you've got kids and they want to watch some movie 100 times in 10 days then it's worth it to buy the movie. I find myself buying more movies for them than I do for myself.
Same but Disney+ basically solved the kids wanting to watch movies 100 times. Plus Netflix got Nickelodeon so I'm basically covered for streaming kids movies.

Same but Disney+ basically solved the kids wanting to watch movies 100 times. Plus Netflix got Nickelodeon so I'm basically covered for streaming kids movies.
I agree that Disney+ should help a lot. i got a year free with Verizon which I just signed up for. I have a collection of kids movies from before that (it did just come out after all) and we have a couple of headrest dvd player screens for the car so I will still buy some movies but I'll likely avoid Disney movies in the future. I didn't know that Netflix got Nick - are they going to get SpongeBob? My kids stream that through Amazon Prime a lot but the only have a few seasons for free and they're always bugging me to get more. As my kids got tired of some of those movies I was able to ditch them which was great. I had probably 20 Barney DVD's. I can't tell you how happy I was to get rid of them. This actually reminds me, I should go through the movies and see if there's anything they've grown out of.

It doesn't look like Disney+ will have studio ghibli movies so I may still need to buy those. I like those and can watch them with my kids.

I agree that Disney+ should help a lot. i got a year free with Verizon which I just signed up for. I have a collection of kids movies from before that (it did just come out after all) and we have a couple of headrest dvd player screens for the car so I will still buy some movies but I'll likely avoid Disney movies in the future. I didn't know that Netflix got Nick - are they going to get SpongeBob? My kids stream that through Amazon Prime a lot but the only have a few seasons for free and they're always bugging me to get more. As my kids got tired of some of those movies I was able to ditch them which was great. I had probably 20 Barney DVD's. I can't tell you how happy I was to get rid of them. This actually reminds me, I should go through the movies and see if there's anything they've grown out of.

It doesn't look like Disney+ will have studio ghibli movies so I may still need to buy those. I like those and can watch them with my kids.
Nick is fairly new on Netflix so we're still exploring. SpongeBob did not pop out so it might not be there.

My son is a destroyer of discs cause he likes to take them everywhere with him so after buying shark tales 10 times I gave up and just burned everything to a Plex server. That lead to us just not buying physical and only doing digital. They also love their iPads and whatever so they mostly watch the stuff on there physical just didn't make sense anymore.

Nick is fairly new on Netflix so we're still exploring. SpongeBob did not pop out so it might not be there.

My son is a destroyer of discs cause he likes to take them everywhere with him so after buying shark tales 10 times I gave up and just burned everything to a Plex server. That lead to us just not buying physical and only doing digital. They also love their iPads and whatever so they mostly watch the stuff on there physical just didn't make sense anymore.
I can understand that. We had a lot of discs ruined by our kids too. My kids are out of that age range at this point but for the first several years that will happen a lot.

For games, I feel like this Black Friday was pretty bad. It's not that Black Friday sucks now, it's that game output is subpar. There are good games coming out every year but this year wasn't one where a ton of great stuff came out. There's nothing wrong with buying really good old game but I don't really play games twice. For me the best part of the game is discovering everything and exploring the game when I don't know anything about it. When I do attempt a second playthrough of games the playthrough tends to end after a few hours when I realize I'm bored. Games I've already played once just don't have the same excitement.

Look at the lists of games people are buying. Sure they're great games but they're old. Games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Skyrim. I'm not going to spend 200hrs playing through Skyrim a second time (even if Wombat does). I want a NEW Elder Scrolls game - something we got none of this generation (and that's been a huge disappointment) while last gen got both Oblivion and Skyrim in addition to Fallout 3 and Fallout NV. This gen got Fallout 4 and that awful Fallout 76.

Then there are games like Control which I want and is by all accounts great but reviewed terribly due to performance issues. It almost feels like this is some kind of awkward middle child generation of gaming. I really doubt Cyber Punk 2077 will perform well on this gen consoles when it comes out either. I'm excited to play that one but I'm already considering waiting until next gen consoles come out next holiday and playing it on them. Who knows, maybe it will be in a bundle although I doubt it since they don't bundle games when consoles launch.

TLDR of course BF sucks, we got no games.

I haven't seen this asked, but is Amazon doing their annual % off of a book purchase coupon this year? Was hoping to preorder that Cyberpunk guide with it. 

I can understand that. We had a lot of discs ruined by our kids too. My kids are out of that age range at this point but for the first several years that will happen a lot.

For games, I feel like this Black Friday was pretty bad. It's not that Black Friday sucks now, it's that game output is subpar. There are good games coming out every year but this year wasn't one where a ton of great stuff came out. There's nothing wrong with buying really good old game but I don't really play games twice. For me the best part of the game is discovering everything and exploring the game when I don't know anything about it. When I do attempt a second playthrough of games the playthrough tends to end after a few hours when I realize I'm bored. Games I've already played once just don't have the same excitement.

Look at the lists of games people are buying. Sure they're great games but they're old. Games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Skyrim. I'm not going to spend 200hrs playing through Skyrim a second time (even if Wombat does). I want a NEW Elder Scrolls game - something we got none of this generation (and that's been a huge disappointment) while last gen got both Oblivion and Skyrim in addition to Fallout 3 and Fallout NV. This gen got Fallout 4 and that awful Fallout 76.

Then there are games like Control which I want and is by all accounts great but reviewed terribly due to performance issues. It almost feels like this is some kind of awkward middle child generation of gaming. I really doubt Cyber Punk 2077 will perform well on this gen consoles when it comes out either. I'm excited to play that one but I'm already considering waiting until next gen consoles come out next holiday and playing it on them. Who knows, maybe it will be in a bundle although I doubt it since they don't bundle games when consoles launch.

TLDR of course BF sucks, we got no games.
Control was exceptional. I played it on my gaming PC and it performed ok. I have a 1080ti though.

I hope I can hold the urge to play Cyberpunk on the new hardware cause I agree it's going to be subpar on the current console.

it's that game output is subpar. There are good games coming out every year but this year wasn't one where a ton of great stuff came out. There's nothing wrong with buying really good old game but I don't really play games twice. For me the best part of the game is discovering everything and exploring the game when I don't know anything about it. When I do attempt a second playthrough of games the playthrough tends to end after a few hours when I realize I'm bored. Games I've already played once just don't have the same excitement.

I disagree completely. This has been a fantastic year for games in my opinion. I make a top twenty every year on another site and this year I'm having a hard time even getting the list of games I loved down to 20 (I played through 90 games so far this year and will probably be at 95 before the year is out). I played through Control at launch on a PS4 and while yes there was slowdown issues it didn't greatly affect my enjoyment and it will be high up on my list.

There are good games coming out every year but this year wasn't one where a ton of great stuff came out.
I'm thankful for "down" years like this because they let me catch up on all the games I didn't have time to play last year or in years past. Surely you have some of those?

bread's done
Back