Black Friday Deals Early for My BB Members at Best Buy

Got some 9.99 movies, didnt see any good deals on games, but grabbed a 75" 8K Samsung with built in xbox cloud play for 50% which is phenomenal and the streaming was really good, played Dead Space Remastered.

Got some 9.99 movies, didnt see any good deals on games, but grabbed a 75" 8K Samsung with built in xbox cloud play for 50% which is phenomenal and the streaming was really good, played Dead Space Remastered.
i expect best buy to clearance out their movie selection this holiday season since they wont sell physical movies any longer as of early next year

i expect best buy to clearance out their movie selection this holiday season since they wont sell physical movies any longer as of early next year
The only movie stock Best Buy actually owns is the exclusive Disney steelbooks. The rest can be returned to the vendor.

They use the same warehouse as Walmart, I had wrong one sent to me and it said walmart on it, the supervisor had to explain it happens all the time.

They mentioned they won’t sell physical movies in stores next year. They didn’t say anything about not selling them online anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
They mentioned they won’t sell physical movies in stores next year. They didn’t say anything about not selling them online anymore.
sadly this includes online and i have a gut feeling that they want to move out of physical media completely within the next year which would really sadden me as my browsing days at best buy will basically be over with this. when i joined CAG in 2011 browsing these isles was so relaxing for me at that time period

https://www.theverge.com/2023/10/13/23915567/best-buy-discontinue-physical-media-dvd-blu-ray

sadly this includes online and i have a gut feeling that they want to move out of physical media completely within the next year which would really sadden me as my browsing days at best buy will basically be over with this. when i joined CAG in 2011 browsing these isles was so relaxing for me at that time periodhttps://www.theverge.com/2023/10/13/23915567/best-buy-discontinue-physical-media-dvd-blu-ray
“According to the sources, Best Buy won’t even sell physical movies online, including 4K titles and special-edition steelbooks that collectors look forward to. The DVD end times could start next year as early as Q1. The Verge reached out to Best Buy for comment, but we did not receive a response at time of publication.”

I’ll wait for more concrete confirmation on that part.

If it is true, at least there’s always Amazon. I have a feeling this will come back to bite Best Buy. I wouldn’t be surprised if they aren’t around much longer.

“According to the sources, Best Buy won’t even sell physical movies online, including 4K titles and special-edition steelbooks that collectors look forward to. The DVD end times could start next year as early as Q1. The Verge reached out to Best Buy for comment, but we did not receive a response at time of publication.”

I’ll wait for more concrete confirmation on that part.

If it is true, at least there’s always Amazon. I have a feeling this will come back to bite Best Buy. I wouldn’t be surprised if they aren’t around much longer.
CNBC made the same report with a confirmation from best buy so there is that. as for the chain’s future who knows but if keeping physical movies for starters was losing them money it only made sense to cut them. cable cutting with these streaming apps effectively ruined disk sales as a whole

Folks thinking BBY ending physical media is going to "bite them" have no idea the state of physical media at retail, and the economic forces driving these decisions.

DigitalBits touched on just how immaterial physical media sales are for BBY and how much more likely returns and complaints from the niche collectors were probably resulting in net negatives for the retailer.

Target is going the same route. Nearly 90% of my saved blurays have been oos for all/most of the year. Target is dropping its catalog just like BBY has over the last couple years.

That all said, those who think physical media is dead are grossly exaggerating the impact, too. The sellers are just online and more direct to consumer. Most movie/show collectors already know this. The likes of Kino Lorber, Shout, Vinegar Syndrome, etc. sell directly and are generally fantastic.

BBY leaving physical media is just a natural progression. Physical media options for film/tv remain plentiful.

Now video games is a different matter, of course.

Folks thinking BBY ending physical media is going to "bite them" have no idea the state of physical media at retail, and the economic forces driving these decisions.

DigitalBits touched on just how immaterial physical media sales are for BBY and how much more likely returns and complaints from the niche collectors were probably resulting in net negatives for the retailer.

Target is going the same route. Nearly 90% of my saved blurays have been oos for all/most of the year. Target is dropping its catalog just like BBY has over the last couple years.

That all said, those who think physical media is dead are grossly exaggerating the impact, too. The sellers are just online and more direct to consumer. Most movie/show collectors already know this. The likes of Kino Lorber, Shout, Vinegar Syndrome, etc. sell directly and are generally fantastic.

BBY leaving physical media is just a natural progression. Physical media options for film/tv remain plentiful.

Now video games is a different matter, of course.
my question is when retailers replace physical games with Download cards (this will absolutely happen) will we get game weekly game sales at the same frequency as before ?

If anyone else noticed they regular prices kept skyrocketing over 30 for bluray and 4K. I just started buying more at RB instead for 3.99 or less with coupon.

If anyone else noticed they regular prices kept skyrocketing over 30 for bluray and 4K. I just started buying more at RB instead for 3.99 or less with coupon.
steelbooks were $25. Then $27... $29... $32... $35...$37... $39.

Now they say no one is buying discs anymore. I wonder why. Yet when they're on sale for $15 or less they fly off shelves.

The last thing Best Buy wants is a steelbook that has to be sold at a loss at $15 to clear stock. Better to stock less of them and sell out before then and the prices went up because the greedy studios were jealous of the boutique labels selling their 4Ks at $35+.

Starting 11/18 BB members can buy an Xbox series X for $50 off and a $50 BB gift card is also included.  
That’s all they mentioned in an email today.  

I'm getting the feeling that actual Black Friday deals this year are going to be pretty bad across the board.  Hope I am wrong.

I'm getting the feeling that actual Black Friday deals this year are going to be pretty bad across the board. Hope I am wrong.
Eh, I think we'll probably be fine with Black Friday/Cyber Monday proper, but it seems like stores aren't willing to go for the bigger price cuts and early access sales like they had in years previous.

Plus, lots of the various promos seem less generous, even if they're category wide they specifically exclude the newer, more hyped games (Spider-man 2, Super Mario Bros. Wonder, etc. )

But it really seems like there needs to be a "dam breaks" moment... I've a feeling so many stores were preparing to price match but didn't want to be the first mover... so sales are starting later. (rather than mid October like in some years.)

Looks like members don't get the 15% off on all Playstation Network cards anymore, bummer.  Should have loaded up more.

I miss Circuit City.

IMG-3461.jpg

Whatever happened to the Black Friday topics where you could see all the major video game deals in one place?

I can’t even find the details for every different retailer, and I used to rely on finding them here.

I'd guess it's some of the changes in retail at this point.  There haven't been enough quality and specific deals for it to be worthwhile yet. 
Rather than deep discounts on particular items, most of the sales shown thus far have been a mediocre discount across an entire product category.  (Like Target's  Buy 2 get 1 on Toys, Books and Video Games.)

Would be nice if they'd put Luigi's Mansion 2 and Paper Mario up for preorder, but of course this will be over by then.

Last edited:
I'd guess it's some of the changes in retail at this point. There haven't been enough quality and specific deals for it to be worthwhile yet.
Rather than deep discounts on particular items, most of the sales shown thus far have been a mediocre discount across an entire product category. (Like Target's Buy 2 get 1 on Toys, Books and Video Games.)
Yup, and folks need to accept that this is the new reality. If you're looking for "deals," better chance those will be digital ones.

In terms of retail, most stores barely have any stock to actually even hold big sales, and outside the AAA games, aren't bothering holding much inventory for the other titles (which discourages them from doing any big discounts).

Those days are over. Say hello to the mostly digital transactional gaming world!

I'd guess it's some of the changes in retail at this point. There haven't been enough quality and specific deals for it to be worthwhile yet.
Rather than deep discounts on particular items, most of the sales shown thus far have been a mediocre discount across an entire product category. (Like Target's Buy 2 get 1 on Toys, Books and Video Games.)
Yep. Last year I think the "spreadsheet" eventually came around but it was a lot later than in the past. Retailers seemed to start this trend during the pandemic where they were each trying to start their Black Friday deals earlier than everyone else. So they'd each slow drip out mediocre deals over several weeks and then actual Black Friday was very underwhelming.

Yep. Last year I think the "spreadsheet" eventually came around but it was a lot later than in the past. Retailers seemed to start this trend during the pandemic where they were each trying to start their Black Friday deals earlier than everyone else. So they'd each slow drip out mediocre deals over several weeks and then actual Black Friday was very underwhelming.
When I was at Walmart a few days ago, they already had Black Friday product wrapped up on the floor for this weekend. Kinda defeats the purpose of Black Friday if they do Black Friday sales two weekends before Thanksgiving.

When I was at Walmart a few days ago, they already had Black Friday product wrapped up on the floor for this weekend. Kinda defeats the purpose of Black Friday if they do Black Friday sales two weekends before Thanksgiving.
I like the earlier sales. No need to wait and bunch everything up, anyways. Retailers get their sales and folks can more easily get stuff delivered without ups/usps being backed up.

Keep BF sales early - the earlier the better.

I like the earlier sales. No need to wait and bunch everything up, anyways. Retailers get their sales and folks can more easily get stuff delivered without ups/usps being backed up.

Keep BF sales early - the earlier the better.
I get where you're coming from and agree to an extent. My issues are twofold: One is meaningless and more personal than anything else. I used to get a kick out of making a list using the CAG spreadsheet and knowing where I was getting each game/movie based on the best prices. I also liked buying everything at once and getting a big box of stuff to go through like Scrooge McDuck. The other issue is I just don't think the "deals" are as good as they once were. There used to be a bunch of movies and games that were $9.99 - $19.99 and you'd often see a couple fairly new releases for $25. Now retailers slow drip their deals and the discounts, at least from what I've been seeing, are a lot less.

bread's done
Back