Blazblue: Calamity Trigger - Gen Discussion & Info.

GuilewasNK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
I searched the site and unless I overlooked something, I didn't see a topic. Since I picked this up today at Gamestop, I figured I'd start a topic. I haven't left work yet, but I'll pop it in as soon as I get home.

Was surprised that there wasn't a topic for this up yet. Game is pretty fun so far, online is really fun and smooth. Player lobbies!

I had never heard of it till a few days ago when countless people started proclaiming it "the best game of this generation". I'm sure it's good, but I doubt it's that good.

My Button Config:

_ABC
D

From what I've seen, the arcade had these configs, selectable before playing:

_ABC
D

_BCD
A

I would do it SNK style... but the game doesn't seen really fit for that style.

I only had a chance to play a little bit last night. I decided to use Jin Kisaragi.

Pretty cool game so far, athough I need to figure out how to do the super moves. I only played player matches and a little arcade. Some guy was using v-13 and kept getting me in some wicked ass combos that I had a hard time getting out of.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I only had a chance to play a little bit last night. I decided to use Jin Kisaragi.

Pretty cool game so far, athough I need to figure out how to do the super moves. I only played player matches and a little arcade. Some guy was using v-13 and kept getting me in some wicked ass combos that I had a hard time getting out of.[/QUOTE]

Home console version is pretty noob friendly. If you aren't using a stick, the right analog is configured to your character's specials. And V-13 seems to be a pretty high tier character, due to her being able to kick your ass from a full screen's distance with her drive attack.

Got my copy in the mail today from Gamestop and just finished Arcade mode with Iron Tager (who looks most similar to Potemkin, my main in Guilty Gear). I'm a casual fighter and it's a great game to play. Gonna play some more before I head online.

I have a problem with the display, has anyone else noticed that the corners of the screen are sort of cut during cutscenes or stage intruductions?

[quote name='MasterWolf']I have a problem with the display, has anyone else noticed that the corners of the screen are sort of cut during cutscenes or stage intruductions?[/QUOTE]

You can fix that in the options menu. It defaults for option A, B works for me at 720p.

I picked it up and am enjoying it quite a bit. I am having my ass handed to me online but I'm still having a good time. Add me if you want to play some time.

I have it as well. I play as Taokaka mostly and I still kinda suck. Hopefully I get better eventually!

Game is really fun.

I've put a few hours into the game so far and loving it. My mains so far are v-13, Ragna, and Jin. So far, just doing ABCD right across the top buttons on my HRAP3 has been the best controller setup for me. I'm online most evenings so, feel free to add me.

In the arcade you can choose between

_ABC
D

or

_BCD
A

i choose the first one

edit: a dude on the first page said the same thing!

The arcade buttons where set up in a arch. Personally, I have my D button right under my A button. (NOT 360 button names, the arcade button names!)

Thus, on a Street fighter Joystick, I have:

X Y RB
A

I could try:

_Y RB LB
X

but I really never thought of seperating my buttons in such an awkward way.

For some characters, having the D button at such a casual press position is really smart (Like with Carl, or Litchi), but I imagine others can be kinda relaxed with it (such as Bang, or Hakumen), and not worry about simultaneous presses.

After playing a dozen+ matches with a friend yesterday locally, I regret not preordering the game. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it after getting sick of GGX2 and beyond's increase in ridiculousness with each revision. This game is actually slower and more boiled down. Probably how the original GG was. So I actually really enjoyed this game. Plus the characters aren't as ridiculous as they seem at first glance. I like how well balanced it all is. At first I thought the Drive attacks were nuts but then I see that everyone's drive attack is nuts and that's the point. So it all gets balanced out again.

We also watched a few tutorial videos (man the one for big grappler guy is hilarious) and the game can get crazy but not that crazy at the same time.

How do you even open the box? I spent like 30 minutes yesterday trying to figure it out and just gave up. I couldn't get it to open without damaging the outer box =(

[quote name='freshzen']How do you even open the box? I spent like 30 minutes yesterday trying to figure it out and just gave up. I couldn't get it to open without damaging the outer box =([/QUOTE]

I've got fairly long nails since I'm too lazy to cut them.

I'm getting it sometime this week. Its on the way as they say. I normally buy all fighters on ps3 although I got a fight pad for 360, and decided to give it a chance. I love that fight pad to say the least, and hope to play online with some cags.

I'm surprised this game isn't more popular considering it's getting rave reviews... only one person on my friends list is playing it.

So far I'm enjoying BlazBlue. I didn't play a whole lot of Guilty Gear, and this is certainly it's own beast to me, but I'm enjoying it.

I'm doing:
ABC
D

On my SF Tournament Stick.

Playing either Litchi or Noel.

I see most of you are using sticks. Is it safe to assume that this game is a lost cause on a pad (given the 360's lousy D-pad)?

[quote name='Allnatural']I see most of you are using sticks. Is it safe to assume that this game is a lost cause on a pad (given the 360's lousy D-pad)?[/QUOTE]

I really hate that D-pad. I'm using a Fight Pad. I highly recommend it. If sticks isn't your cup of tea. ;)

[quote name='TruVisionary']I'm surprised this game isn't more popular considering it's getting rave reviews... only one person on my friends list is playing it.[/QUOTE]

That's because Street Fighter unifies communities while this has it's main fanbase and that's it. That and the PS3 seems to be getting the bulk share of the BlazBlue players for some odd reason. Half my damn list is playing this stupid game and I keep getting invites for it.

There are so many fighting games coming out this year, I'd like to pick up just a couple and try to get good at them. Despite the solid reviews, I'd to hear more on how this game plays before dropping cash on BlazBlue.

I've seen screenshots and it looks beautiful, but heard it plays fast and frantic and is difficult to master. If I had trouble pulling off some of the more complex combos in SFIV, am I in for a world of hurt with this game, or is it a different yet satisfying experience. How's the online community? (XBL) Easy to find somebody at/around your skill level?

I just played it for a really short period of time earlier today and it didn't seem that hard, seemed like most moves are generally easier than in SFIV, but it is a bit on the faster side but it shouldn't be too fast. And it looks amazing too, way better than SFIV. I think the only fighting game that can compete with Blaz Blue graphics-wise would be Soulcalibur IV and that is just personal preference.

[quote name='fatboyjam']There are so many fighting games coming out this year, I'd like to pick up just a couple and try to get good at them. Despite the solid reviews, I'd to hear more on how this game plays before dropping cash on BlazBlue.

I've seen screenshots and it looks beautiful, but heard it plays fast and frantic and is difficult to master. If I had trouble pulling off some of the more complex combos in SFIV, am I in for a world of hurt with this game, or is it a different yet satisfying experience. How's the online community? (XBL) Easy to find somebody at/around your skill level?[/QUOTE]easy to learn, hard to master.

Street Fighter is all about links, inputting a move, then having a very small frame window once the first move ends to input the second move so both moves register as a combo.

fundamentally, BlazBlue is more about chains, i.e. cancelling the recovery animation of a prior move to initiate the next. Combos are as easy as hitting A-B-C-special a la marvel vs. capcom

however once u get to the more advanced combos u venture into the small frame window input territory, trying to pull off air dashes mid combo or having to enter a move as soon as the previous move finishes before the opponent has enough time to recover from hitstun.

and fyi, this is jus a small explanation of offense... there's still a whole defense game (barrier, burst, insta block) that needs to be taken into consideration.

I've been on SFIV since it came out. I picked this up couple days after it came out and let me tell you.
This game is a whole new experience. As a matter a fact I suck at this game, even after a couple days of play.
If my friend can come over, button mash and beat me, then something is definitely wrong(probably with me).
I'm not saying anything about the game being broken, but I agree with Jekki, it is easy to learn, and definitely hard to master.

I'm too into SFIV to really get into Blazblue, plus I have no friends to compete with, but from what I've played so far it is a solid fighter.
Everyone should give it a try. If not for the fighting, then to look at Litchi and Noel in action.

Also it has a nice little story mode that will keep me playing for a while. Then maybe one day, I'll take my crappy skills online.

Same here, I main Noel as well without spamming, only using it when I see a good opening, however even if you use her drive attacks just once people still get all pissy about it.

bread's done
Back