Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

Hey Blu-Ray wise ones,

I was thinking about getting my Dad a Blu Ray player for his birthday and I was wondering what you folks thought of the Sony BDPS350.

Some background info, my folks have only just bought an HD telly (might be a Bravia, not sure) it's 42inch and does 1080p I believe. My Dad's not much of an audiophile and he doesn't have 5.1 speakers or anything.

So what I'm asking is, is the Sony BDPS350 a decent starter level Blu-Ray player? Are there any problems with it ?

Also are Blu-Ray discs region-free ?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='benjamouth']Hey Blu-Ray wise ones,

I was thinking about getting my Dad a Blu Ray player for his birthday and I was wondering what you folks thought of the Sony BDPS350.

Some background info, my folks have only just bought an HD telly (might be a Bravia, not sure) it's 42inch and does 1080p I believe. My Dad's not much of an audiophile and he doesn't have 5.1 speakers or anything.

So what I'm asking is, is the Sony BDPS350 a decent starter level Blu-Ray player? Are there any problems with it ?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

No, some are region locked.

Get the PS3, unless you go with amazon that has that great sale going on..

[quote name='DestroVega']i can't wait to pick up hellboy... i was pissed i didn't make it to the theater to see it.[/quote]

Well worth it :)

[quote name='benjamouth']Hey Blu-Ray wise ones,

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

IIRC Paramount and Universal BRs have all been region-free. Sony, Warner/New Line, Lionsgate, and Fox have mix of coded and non-coded, although most of their current BR lines are region-free, particularly the newest releases.

Japan, and most of east Asia (where the BR manufacturers are based) share the same BR region as the US.

The 350 is a solid "entry level" BR player. IIRC about all it won't do is change resolution on the fly. I guess if you really wanted just a standalone player, this one is good enough for most people, although the PS3 is still a better value overall, particularly with the holiday specials going on now and in the very near future.

[quote name='gunm']IIRC Paramount and Universal BRs have all been region-free. Sony, Warner/New Line, Lionsgate, and Fox have mix of coded and non-coded, although most of their current BR lines are region-free, particularly the newest releases.

Japan, and most of east Asia (where the BR manufacturers are based) share the same BR region as the US.

The 350 is a solid "entry level" BR player. IIRC about all it won't do is change resolution on the fly. I guess if you really wanted just a standalone player, this one is good enough for most people, although the PS3 is still a better value overall, particularly with the holiday specials going on now and in the very near future.[/quote]

Thanks, I'd get a PS3 myself but my Dad is in the UK so it would be a lot more expensive for me and I don't think my folks would use any of the other PS3 features. Plus they probably won't want one sitting in the living room, it's a bit big.

[quote name='benjamouth']Thanks, I'd get a PS3 myself but my Dad is in the UK so it would be a lot more expensive for me and I don't think my folks would use any of the other PS3 features. Plus they probably won't want one sitting in the living room, it's a bit big.[/QUOTE]

You should look into a LG player.

If I remember right one of them has a remote code that makes the player region free.

[quote name='Sporadic']You should look into a LG player.

If I remember right one of them has a remote code that makes the player region free.[/QUOTE]

Correct.

DVD and Blu-ray region free + able to play PAL DVDs.

I went to the CC site to order BoB BR and CC has pulled ALL of the DVD's and CD's from the site. It's just a page that offers a link to the store locator. I have a gift card that I was going to use specifically for this. Now I have to drive over an hour to the nearest store that's not closing if I want to get it.

[quote name='neocisco']I went to the CC site to order BoB BR and CC has pulled ALL of the DVD's and CD's from the site. It's just a page that offers a link to the store locator. I have a gift card that I was going to use specifically for this. Now I have to drive over an hour to the nearest store that's not closing if I want to get it.[/QUOTE]

Wow, the writing is definitely on the wall for CC. I need to use my $10 GC soon or it'll be worthless.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']The movie we've all been waiting for has been finally annouced to come to :br: this upcoming February:

:lol:
[/quote]

f that.. i want mortal kombat!

[quote name='LinkinPrime']The movie we've all been waiting for has been finally annouced to come to :br: this upcoming February:

:lol:
[/quote]

MORTAL KOOOO...oh, wait.

I guess we have a winner on the first ultra crappy fighting video game movie to make it to BR.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Ditto...I love the first MK[/quote]

Uh, when was the last time you watched it?;)

It's be a few years...I know its cheesy, but I like it.

----------------

On another note...did anyone get The Clone Wars from Target? I got mine from WHV and the cover art sucks...was hoping that someone could scan it for me...

With the holiday season coming around, I sure would love a high-def transfer of Love, Actually with all the goodies that we didn't get even on the DVD release. But that's probably just me though.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']It's be a few years...I know its cheesy, but I like it.[/quote]

Oh, I'm sure I have a few I like that would get some unfavorable responses.:) Enjoy what you enjoy.

[quote name='rick3000gto']How is it? The extras i mean?[/quote]

Oh, if youre a fan, then get it, if not, id wait til a lightning deal sale on amazon.. i doubt this will ever run out.

fuck, I just recieved my first HDM dud.

Baraka

Tried cleaning it, tried boiling it, tried everything and every program I throw at it refuses to read it (AnyDVD/Arcsoft/WinDVD)

Thankfully Amazon is sending me a new one but it looks like I won't be able to watch this one until Monday :cry:

Within the next few weeks I am planning on buying a BR player. Now I have seen that most of these BR discs have an extra disc containing a digital copy of the movie for use with an IPOD. What file format is this and can I just convert it to another format? I don't have an IPOD but my LG Voyager plays movies when converted with Super (c). Is the 3rd disc a standard DVD with a SD verison of the movie is it something else?

Thanks

[quote name='62t']the digital copy is standard version[/quote]

SO... the DC is actually a SD-DVD (playable in a SD-DVD Drive) or a file?

[quote name='ITDEFX']SO... the DC is actually a SD-DVD (playable in a SD-DVD Drive) or a file?[/quote]
good question, I've been wondering about this as well.

[quote name='ITDEFX']SO... the DC is actually a SD-DVD (playable in a SD-DVD Drive) or a file?[/quote]

No it's not a DVD in that you can play it in a standard DVD Player. It is a file on a DVD Disc. Depending on the movie, the file can be either a WMV, MP4 file, etc.

Each studio has their own standards they use for the file.

This is part of the confusion with the Digital Copy system. You may have a device that will play the digital copy from one studio but not from another. There is no sort of universal standard established for it.

So far, only one movie I know of actually came with a Regular SD-DVD which was Disney's Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray, and it was specifically marketed to say that it included a DVD copy, not a digital copy.

I have 'The Incredible Hulk' on Blu-ray and its a dvd-rom which says that it will not play in standalone DVD players and gives the option to transfer to iTunes or Windows Media Player. It also mentions that an internet connection is required.

You know I noticed in my copy of RE: E SD-DVD it has a digital copy too, but has some funky code sheet I have to enter and need to go on the internet, so I said fuck it and extracted it using dvd decrypter. I thought these DC where standard VOB files with a converter program designed just for that file.

A WMV/MP4 is already compressed again from the original format, so reconverting it again will lose visual quality.

[quote name='ITDEFX']You know I noticed in my copy of RE: E SD-DVD it has a digital copy too, but has some funky code sheet I have to enter and need to go on the internet, so I said fuck it and extracted it using dvd decrypter. I thought these DC where standard VOB files with a converter program designed just for that file.

A WMV/MP4 is already compressed again from the original format, so reconverting it again will lose visual quality.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the "funky code sheet" is to authorize the license to your PC so that you are authorized to play the file it will copy to hard drive via DRM.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']No it's not a DVD in that you can play it in a standard DVD Player. It is a file on a DVD Disc. Depending on the movie, the file can be either a WMV, MP4 file, etc.

Each studio has their own standards they use for the file.

This is part of the confusion with the Digital Copy system. You may have a device that will play the digital copy from one studio but not from another. There is no sort of universal standard established for it.

So far, only one movie I know of actually came with a Regular SD-DVD which was Disney's Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray, and it was specifically marketed to say that it included a DVD copy, not a digital copy.[/quote]

RUN FATBOY RUN

also comes with a DVD copy.. not a digital copy.

"Digital Copy" was created by a marketing department who was challenged to produce something all consumers can hate equally to help lessen the blow created by the DVD to BD transition as well as combat pirating at the same time.

They're now known as the greatest marketing dept. in two universes.

[quote name='Kerig']"Digital Copy" was created by a marketing department who was challenged to produce something all consumers can hate equally to help lessen the blow created by the DVD to BD transition as well as combat pirating at the same time.

They're now known as the greatest marketing dept. in two universes.[/QUOTE]

Ah man...I thought that title was reserved for the people making those horrible gimmicky packages for DVDs!

An internet connection is required? That makes it DOA in my opinion. What do you do when they shut down the servers?

[quote name='b3b0p']An internet connection is required? That makes it DOA in my opinion. What do you do when they shut down the servers?[/quote]
I think the internet connection is to check the code that you enter so you can download the digital copy.

Digital Copy is a nice idea in theory but if you download the movie to your PSP or iPod, it is stuck there and you can't move it.

Great thread, I have been wondering the exact same thing.

This "digital copy" crap is not going to go over too well. It is too confusing for most people.

IMHO BD dics should include a DVD copy. I know I would buy a lot more if each BD had a DVD copy in it!

With BR discs having 50 gigs of space, there is plenty of room to dump a 5 gig SD movie. Not every movie uses up the entire disc. Yes I agree it's confusing a lot of people. SD movies need to become a shit load cheaper (under 10 bucks sometime next year. Forcing us to buy a SD movie at the 22 mark to get the second extra's disc and the digital copy is just too much.

[quote name='ITDEFX']With BR discs having 50 gigs of space, there is plenty of room to dump a 5 gig SD movie. Not every movie uses up the entire disc. Yes I agree it's confusing a lot of people. SD movies need to become a shit load cheaper (under 10 bucks sometime next year. Forcing us to buy a SD movie at the 22 mark to get the second extra's disc and the digital copy is just too much.[/quote]

if youre paying 22 or more for a movie then youre not being a cheapass like the rest of us lol

My cousin bought a blu ray (forgot which movie) that came with a digital copy for his daughter. Tried to upload it onto her iPod but it didnt work (was an wmv file). Brought my Zune over and tried to use that but the Zune program still wouldnt recognize it.

I remember reading somewhere that some companies have digital copies that work on any mp3 video device but some companies have onse that only work on certain devices.

[quote name='TheRock88']My cousin bought a blu ray (forgot which movie) that came with a digital copy for his daughter. Tried to upload it onto her iPod but it didnt work (was an wmv file). Brought my Zune over and tried to use that but the Zune program still wouldnt recognize it.

I remember reading somewhere that some companies have digital copies that work on any mp3 video device but some companies have onse that only work on certain devices.[/quote]

Warner/New line are not ipod compatible.

Every other studio such as Fox is ipod compatible.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Warner/New line are not ipod compatible.

Every other studio such as Fox is ipod compatible.[/quote]

Ah, thanks.

So I'm guessing Dark Knight wont work. :cry:

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Warner/New line are not ipod compatible.

Every other studio such as Fox is ipod compatible.[/QUOTE]

Wrong.

Speed Racer (IIRC) was their last release that would not work the iPod (they later fixed this anyway). Get Smart, for example, works with iTuns (instructions inside the case). Warner will be doing a Digital Copy with 90% of all Day and Date titles for now on. They have their reasons why.

bread's done
Back