Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

Do not sell your PS3 it i the best blu-ray player on the market. It has a faster processer, better chip, faster laser and built in storage and wifi.

[quote name='seanr1221']I wasn't talking about the 360, I was talking about the next xbox, like I said.

Sporadic, link to that 300ish player? I'd be selling my ps3 for 500, so with proper deals, I could get a good amount of blu-rays with that extra money.[/QUOTE]

Well, it was 300ish.

Now it's listed at $399 and it's sold out online

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...H+200&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1186004964788

[quote name='Padfeet']Do not sell your PS3 it i the best blu-ray player on the market. It has a faster processer, better chip, faster laser and built in storage and wifi.[/QUOTE]

It's not.

i've been having a lot of problems lately with my ps3 (launch 20 gig) with not being able to read disks, so i ended up buying that hybrid player.

don't really notice much difference between the two except that the hybrid player loads a little faster (esp HD-DVDs vs the toshiba a-35)

for some reason on the ps3 47 was the volume i always kept it at, but for the hybrid player 39 is about the same

Small heads up...

Just got Pushing Daisies BD and it listed TrueHD on the back! Hopefully Warner continues with this track record. Comes with a nice slipcase as well...slightly thicker case than Sarah Connor Chronicles.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Small heads up...

Just got Pushing Daisies BD and it listed TrueHD on the back! Hopefully Warner continues with this track record. Comes with a nice slipcase as well...slightly thicker case than Sarah Connor Chronicles.[/QUOTE]
That's some misprint. SCC is a much bigger seller and a better candidate for lossless.
Too bad they can't give every title TrueHD.

Or maybe they had a deadline for when they were going to fix up their act so SCC and Speed Racer must have missed the deadline by a couple of weeks.

[quote name='Padfeet']Do not sell your PS3 it i the best blu-ray player on the market. It has a faster processer, better chip, faster laser and built in storage and wifi.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Now that I have a receiver that can do TrueHD and DTS-HD audio I want a new stand alone player.

Is there any word about the PS3 supporting the new audio formats?

i think dallow and others have mentioned various times that the ps3 will never be able to bitstream..

any reviews on the insignia player? (not that i would even bother with it)

[quote name='rsigley']for some reason on the ps3 47 was the volume i always kept it at, but for the hybrid player 39 is about the same[/quote]When you're playing a BD disc, hit "options" on the remote (I think). There's actually a selection where you can adjust PS3's internal volume, between -3 to +3 or something. I read somewhere that basically each increment of 1 equals to about +/- 4db.

[quote name='Richlough']I'm missing alot of movies at the theater , now that I have 2 children [3mo and 4yr] .
I'm going to blind buy alot of Blu-Rays because of this .[/quote]I know how you feel. I have a 4 and a 1 year old and the last movie I saw in the theater was Star Wars III. And in the old days, I used to watch a double header every Sunday with a friend of mine.

I recieved The Fall today from Blockbuster Online.

Even though the movie isn't quite the visual masterpiece hype may want you to think it is (The Cell is better), it does look great in motion and is a good movie.

Digital distribution is a very long ways off for one giant reason. Broadband market penetration in the U.S. is nowhere near where it needs to be to make it an alternative that kills physical media.

Indeed. I also think there are a lot of people out there who still simply prefer having a physical copy of something. I guess, it has a lot to do with being set in my ways, but I just like having a disc and a case. I'm sure that sentiment will fade in coming generations, but for now, there are still a lot of "older" folks who like physical media.

[quote name='rick3000gto']Wait how'd you get those they arent released untill the 30th.[/QUOTE]

They are review copies. I have a stack of other films (Leatherheads, Pushing Daisies etc) as well but those are my two favorites.

Can't wait to watch Iron Man for the first time later today!

Yea, tell us how it looks. I'm excited for that one.

Kill Bill 1 and 2 look really good. There are some scenes where you can see beads of sweat perfectly.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Indeed. I also think there are a lot of people out there who still simply prefer having a physical copy of something. I guess, it has a lot to do with being set in my ways, but I just like having a disc and a case. I'm sure that sentiment will fade in coming generations, but for now, there are still a lot of "older" folks who like physical media.[/QUOTE]

Or there are people like me that would still like the option of trading or even reselling movies they don't like. I will not go Digital Distribution until i am forced, and i can't see that happening for 20 years.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Lookie what I just got....

[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah... you're a jerk! ;)

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Indeed. I also think there are a lot of people out there who still simply prefer having a physical copy of something. I guess, it has a lot to do with being set in my ways, but I just like having a disc and a case. I'm sure that sentiment will fade in coming generations, but for now, there are still a lot of "older" folks who like physical media.[/QUOTE]

Sure, there are movies I want to have a physical copy of - Forgetting Sarah Marshall for example. But others, like Leatherheads, is simply a film I would watch once and that would be that. To have the ability to rent it in HD, all from my living room, for a small fee, is worth it. Not everyone has $20-$40 to spend on Blu-ray discs and not everyone wants to get in there car, go to Blockbuster, hope the movie is in-stock, wait in line, drive home, and then play the movie. Why spend all that time when I can simply click "RENT", wait a few or two, and boom, I get to start watching.

Like I said, there are tons of movies I would want to own - but there are thousand I wouldn't. Its much easier to swallow a $3-$5 rental of a shitty VOD film in HD than $20-40 on a Blu-ray.

Hmmm, I understand what you're saying, but I was really talking more about when one has already decided to purchase a product. From that point on, a physical copy is still superior in my book, especially if they are going to cost about the same.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Sure, there are movies I want to have a physical copy of - Forgetting Sarah Marshall for example. But others, like Leatherheads, is simply a film I would watch once and that would be that. To have the ability to rent it in HD, all from my living room, for a small fee, is worth it. Not everyone has $20-$40 to spend on Blu-ray discs and not everyone wants to get in there car, go to Blockbuster, hope the movie is in-stock, wait in line, drive home, and then play the movie. Why spend all that time when I can simply click "RENT", wait a few or two, and boom, I get to start watching.

Like I said, there are tons of movies I would want to own - but there are thousand I wouldn't. Its much easier to swallow a $3-$5 rental of a shitty VOD film in HD than $20-40 on a Blu-ray.[/QUOTE]

Well, to be fair, you can already do that with physical media via Netflix/Blockbuster Online. I'd much rather have the physical product instead of waiting 3-5 hours for it to download.

Only way I would get into digital distribution with movies is if there was a Steam-like service...also if I had a bigger hard drive (my 750GB drive is down to 100GBs left)

[quote name='Sporadic']Well, to be fair, you can already do that with physical media via Netflix/Blockbuster Online. I'd much rather have the physical product instead of waiting 3-5 hours for it to download.

Only way I would get into digital distribution with movies is if there was a Steam-like service...also if I had a bigger hard drive (my 750GB drive is down to 100GBs left)[/QUOTE]

You absolutely can rent it from Netflix/BBO - problem is, it will take 2-3 days to arrive. At that time I may have things going on in my life or no interest in watching the film anymore. Ive sent back my fair share of films simply because I'm in no mood to watch them anymore. The whole point of VOD (for me at least) is to be able to watch it right then and there. If I have a hankering to watch Harold and Maude in HD, I simply click BUY, wait a few minutes, and then it starts right away. It's all about impulse buying without having to leave the couch. Of course my experience has been with Xbox 360 and AppleTV - all of which start either within a few seconds or minutes.

But I purchase more for BD/DVD then rent via VOD...but with Netflix streaming coming to 360, I may cut back on impulse buys for catalog titles when I can essentially rent them for free (aside for the $8.99 I already pay for Netflix). I know there in SD...but still would save me some money.

P.S. Welcome aboard ;)

BTW,

For those interested in Leatherheads on Blu-ray Universal has cut all the announced special features from it. All that's left is a Commentary and U-Control (which incorporates seconds of the missing features). REALLY disappointed.

[quote name='seanr1221']Doesnt the new LG Blu player allow streaming from Netflix? Not in HD yet but I could see that maybe being the future.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it will when it comes out. As of right now its only SD quality, but it can be updated to HD at any time (at least the RoKu box can...it has an HDMI port and so do most 360's and I imagine they will pull from the same server).

Is anyone still getting 10% off HDM from Amazon?

I still seem to be, but it looks like I'm being cheated. I just checked my order for Forbidden Kingdom, which was originally $24.95, and there was a promotion applied that took $1.25 off. But 10% of $24.95 is $2.50.

I only thought to check this because I found The Incredible Hulk BD in my Gold Box today, but if you add it to the cart, there is no promotion applied aside from the Gold Box discount. So I'm thinking, what is the point of waiting for a disc to hit the Gold Box when you should probably be getting the same (or better) discount from the HDM 10% off.

Hancock cover art blows:
original.jpeg

[quote name='GizmoGC']Looks like The Godfather Trilogy should be arriving today.... I'll post some impressions when I get my copy.[/quote]I can only hope it lives up to the hype. :pray:

Gizmo, did you get your review copy of Smallville S7 yet on BR? HDD review made me think twice about it, which makes no sense since S5 on HD-DVD and S6 on HD-DVD (and BR, though I just have the HD-DVD version) look pretty damn good.

i was also looking forward to smallville season 7 but the review wasnt too hot.

waiting for a deal I suppose that better than wbstore

[quote name='shrike4242']I can only hope it lives up to the hype. :pray:

Gizmo, did you get your review copy of Smallville S7 yet on BR? HDD review made me think twice about it, which makes no sense since S5 on HD-DVD and S6 on HD-DVD (and BR, though I just have the HD-DVD version) look pretty damn good.[/QUOTE]

I opted not to get that release because I'm not a fan of Smallville. One of the other reviewers from my site got it and its 7 episodes per disc...which means 3 discs house 7 episodes each. I don't know WTF Warner was thinking with that.

For comparison, both Terminator: Sarah Connor and Pushing Daisies have 3 episodes on each disc and both contain DD5.1 tracks as well. Warner is being very, very cheap with their releases.

To be honest with you, I think Warner is trying to make their TV on BD releases each 3 discs to use the same type of amray case to store them in. I believe Justice League is the same way and I imagine (sadly) Chuck and Supernatural will follow as well. :cry:

Oh and BTW...

Ok, Warner had lied.

Pushing Daisies Season One advertises TrueHD tracks on the back of the slip cover in fact only has standard Dolby Digital 5.1 ones. There is no way to select other audio tracks and someone over at AVS has scanned the disc and confirmed only DD5.1 is present. Warner has not only a misprint on their hands, but yet another title to not include TrueHD at all. I searched all over my set and could not find any other track but DD5.1....GRR.

[quote name='GizmoGC']I opted not to get that release because I'm not a fan of Smallville. One of the other reviewers from my site got it and its 7 episodes per disc...which means 3 discs house 7 episodes each. I don't know WTF Warner was thinking with that.

For comparison, both Terminator: Sarah Connor and Pushing Daisies have 3 episodes on each disc and both contain DD5.1 tracks as well. Warner is being very, very cheap with their releases.

To be honest with you, I think Warner is trying to make their TV on BD releases each 3 discs to use the same type of amray case to store them in. I believe Justice League is the same way and I imagine (sadly) Chuck and Supernatural will follow as well. :cry:[/quote]Yeah, I noticed that from the review on HDD. Would expain all the ugly compression artifacts, if they're trying to cram 300 minutes on a disc.

I did notice about SCCC and Pushing Daisies only getting DD5.1 sound, which is why I'm not that keen on buying them on BR, since most of what I can see with upgraded video I could get away with via upscaled DVD, if I'm getting DD5.1 regardless of BR or DVD.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Oh and BTW...

Ok, Warner had lied.

Pushing Daisies Season One advertises TrueHD tracks on the back of the slip cover in fact only has standard Dolby Digital 5.1 ones. There is no way to select other audio tracks and someone over at AVS has scanned the disc and confirmed only DD5.1 is present. Warner has not only a misprint on their hands, but yet another title to not include TrueHD at all. I searched all over my set and could not find any other track but DD5.1....GRR.[/quote]Yeah, I think that gives me reason to pass on it on BR.

Hello, re-release anyone, ala 5th Element?

[quote name='GizmoGC']I opted not to get that release because I'm not a fan of Smallville. One of the other reviewers from my site got it and its 7 episodes per disc...which means 3 discs house 7 episodes each. I don't know WTF Warner was thinking with that.

To be honest with you, I think Warner is trying to make their TV on BD releases each 3 discs to use the same type of amray case to store them in. I believe Justice League is the same way and I imagine (sadly) Chuck and Supernatural will follow as well. :cry:[/quote]

Gizmo, will you be getting Chuck early? I have it pre-ordered from Warner but if it turns out you're right about them cramming episodes onto fewer discs (although I can't possibly imagine how they'd do 3 discs for a season of a 1-hour show) I'd appreciate an early warning.

As for now, I am eagerly awaiting your thoughts on the Godfather Collection. It's probably my most anticipated title for the rest of the year.

bread's done
Back