Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

It is kind of up in the air at the moment. I watched it again today, and for the first two hours, it played well. The last hour was kind of bad though.

Also, I hear if you change the settings for HDMI/Component, it can work.

And I bought mine in mid-June.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Mine hasn't shipped either. I ordered it with Green Lantern and The Black Freigther...got TBF, maybe they'll ship it this Tuesday along with my Green Lantern.[/QUOTE]

thats what i am afraid of. I ordered my copy with the ninga turtles set coming up... i hope i dont have to wait until august for this..

I picked up Coraline last week. Me and the girlfriend watched the 3D version and it looked horrible (colors were all washed out) and gave us small headaches. I do not recommend watching the 3D version please stick to the 2D version which looks absolutely amazing on blu-ray.

Hm Amazon never shipped out my Watchmen BR. It was combined with a pre-order for GI Joe #5 TPB that was slated for Oct. I figure, if they're not going to send me the disc until Oct., I might as well just wait for Ultimate Double Dip Edition in December.

blah.. got an email response from wb. Seems they dont ship out individually anymore and are waiting to ship my order together with turtles. They will charge me 4.95 if i decide to split shipment. fuck that.

I am about to cancel order. Are there any other 25/30% coupons flying around for wbshop?

[quote name='MotzCTG']I picked up Coraline last week. Me and the girlfriend watched the 3D version and it looked horrible (colors were all washed out) and gave us small headaches. I do not recommend watching the 3D version please stick to the 2D version which looks absolutely amazing on blu-ray.[/QUOTE]

My wife and I enjoyed the 3D. I think the trick is really to make sure the room is as dark as possible (and of course to wear the 3D glasses). The colors aren't as good, but that's to be expected when everything will be tinted magenta through one eye and green through the other.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Transformers: The Revenge Of The Fallen is up for pre-order at Amazon...no release date listed as of yet.[/QUOTE]

I've never understood why Amazon allows reviews of products that aren't even out yet. I realize the reviews are on the movie itself but I'd rather they wait until the product is released and review the ACTUAL product itself, as in PQ, AQ and special features.

Won't be able to read up reviews until tonight, so I'll throw this out to you guys:

Is there a difference between the Fast and Furious Trilogy boxset and the individual release? I'm considering buying F&F4 and Tokyo Drift, but if I can find the set and it's the same thing, I'll just go for that, plus the fourth.

[quote name='thelonepig']My wife and I enjoyed the 3D. I think the trick is really to make sure the room is as dark as possible (and of course to wear the 3D glasses). The colors aren't as good, but that's to be expected when everything will be tinted magenta through one eye and green through the other.[/QUOTE]

It was at night and completely dark in the room....and yes we were wearing the 3d glasses. I wonder why they don't include the good 3d glasses you get in the theaters that are clear. I saw up in 3D and it was pretty good. I guess I am just picky and want the 3d to look as good as 2d :).. Although I will say that the spider web scene near the end that was almost all white looked really really good in 3d.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Won't be able to read up reviews until tonight, so I'll throw this out to you guys:

Is there a difference between the Fast and Furious Trilogy boxset and the individual release? I'm considering buying F&F4 and Tokyo Drift, but if I can find the set and it's the same thing, I'll just go for that, plus the fourth.[/QUOTE]

There is no difference between the individual discs and the box set. I have the box set now and it is the same exact discs (extras and all) that just got released.

[quote name='MotzCTG']It was at night and completely dark in the room....and yes we were wearing the 3d glasses. I wonder why they don't include the good 3d glasses you get in the theaters that are clear. I saw up in 3D and it was pretty good. I guess I am just picky and want the 3d to look as good as 2d :).. Although I will say that the spider web scene near the end that was almost all white looked really really good in 3d.[/QUOTE]
It's not that the companies can't make it, it's that your television can't display it. The RealD 3D that you see now in theaters requires a special projector which creates the depth of the image in conjunction with the glasses. There are a select few tvs that can display films in 3d but it would require changing the specs of blu-ray to allow for true 3d to be on the discs. Too many changes for a novelty.

[quote name='duckydan']
It's not that the companies can't make it, it's that your television can't display it. The RealD 3D that you see now in theaters requires a special projector which creates the depth of the image in conjunction with the glasses. There are a select few tvs that can display films in 3d but it would require changing the specs of blu-ray to allow for true 3d to be on the discs. Too many changes for a novelty.[/QUOTE]

Ah that makes sense, thanks for the clarification. :)

[quote name='h3llbring3r']My PS3 hates this Watchmen :br:[/QUOTE]

What problems have you had? I've only watched about the half movie and haven't any problems. Haven't tried to do anything else, though.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Won't be able to read up reviews until tonight, so I'll throw this out to you guys:

Is there a difference between the Fast and Furious Trilogy boxset and the individual release? I'm considering buying F&F4 and Tokyo Drift, but if I can find the set and it's the same thing, I'll just go for that, plus the fourth.[/QUOTE]

I believe the 3 disc boxset does not have Digital Copies while the new separate re-releases do.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']What problems have you had? I've only watched about the half movie and haven't any problems. Haven't tried to do anything else, though.[/QUOTE]

I have a loud static A&V burp around the end of the first third and the whole film's color skews a purple/magenta hue sometimes and doesn't go away. Rebooting the PS3 is the only thing that fixes it. My Wife's copy of (ugh) Twilight does that too.

[quote name='nightwarrior']the Fast and Furious trilogy does include Digital Copies.[/QUOTE]

Really? I guess then they did the re-releases just for folks who only want one specific title then.

I bit on Planet Terror BR for $16.49 and Clone Wars BR for $14.99 @ amazon. :p Spent waaayyy too much on BRs thanks to DD and amazon this past two weeks. :(

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Big Trouble in Little China :br: is up on DD. I am really torn, should I buy it for $16 or gamble on Fry's possibly having a $12 deal?[/QUOTE]

Like any other BR I've gotten, I'll be waiting til a review and it get's no more than 4/5 on the video part. Anything below it and I pass no matter what it is.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Like any other BR I've gotten, I'll be waiting til a review and it get's no more than 4/5 on the video part. Anything below it and I pass no matter what it is.[/QUOTE]
Good point. Although I never picked up the SD DVD, so if it's $12 or < my standards are lowered a bit. I am having a hard time finding accurate reviews- several have disappointed me in terms of VQ assessment.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Like any other BR I've gotten, I'll be waiting til a review and it get's no more than 4/5 on the video part. Anything below it and I pass no matter what it is.[/QUOTE]

It will! I have this one already and it looks pretty damn good.

That's good to hear. Doesn't really make sense to me to get the same video I have if the quality isn't going to be "that" much better than a regular DVD. I want it to WOW me every time.

[quote name='aboveaveragewes']Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles isn't supposed to be released on BD until the 11th. So why did Netflix send my copy off today?[/QUOTE]

It must've been pushed to the 11th. It was slated for 8/4 when it was first announced. Maybe Netflix already has it.

[quote name='aboveaveragewes']Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles isn't supposed to be released on BD until the 11th. So why did Netflix send my copy off today?[/QUOTE]

im jealous!

Did you get your Watchmen from WB yet Guyver? Just as I suspected they shipped mine out along with Green Lantern last week.

Interesting tidbit: Green Lantern: First Flight :br: case is green like The Incredible Hulk's.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Did you get your Watchmen from WB yet Guyver? Just as I suspected they shipped mine out along with Green Lantern last week.
[/QUOTE]

Nope. The CS email said it would process along with TMNT set next week. I ended up netflixing it for now but Disc 1 didnt really have any extras.

The WB online portal now integrates with Facebook which i had not heard about before. cool

[quote name='GizmoGC']It will! I have this one already and it looks pretty damn good.[/QUOTE]
Are you referring to BTiLC? If so, I would love your personal take on it.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Are you referring to BTiLC? If so, I would love your personal take on it.[/QUOTE]

Just finished watching it -
Solid, solid release. Picture still shows a little bit of age to it, but damn does this look slick in HD. The Audio is even better - never really bothered to listen to an Isolated Track before but gave it a bit of a spin and was impressed. This is how Fox should be treating all of their catalog titles.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie is alright on BD. There's quite a bit of grain, especially during the dark scenes. The sound acceptable, as well. It's definitely not a demo piece, but it's hard to imagine the DVD version looking or sounding anything this quality.

The special features are especially lacking; there's only a theatrical trailer. It's a shame this isn't being released separately from the other films, because the whole box set isn't be worth it. I saw that the packaging was crap although it has some kick-ass cover art.

Finally my most wanted Blu-rays were announced

Gladiator (Sapphire Collection) 2 Disc Blu-ray set (9-1-09)
BraveHeart (Sapphire Collection (9-1-09)

[quote name='Poor2More']Finally my most wanted Blu-rays were announced

Gladiator (Sapphire Collection) 2 Disc Blu-ray set (9-1-09)
BraveHeart (Sapphire Collection (9-1-09)[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure those were announced a couple months ago.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Just finished watching it -
Solid, solid release. Picture still shows a little bit of age to it, but damn does this look slick in HD. The Audio is even better - never really bothered to listen to an Isolated Track before but gave it a bit of a spin and was impressed. This is how Fox should be treating all of their catalog titles.[/QUOTE]

Hm, I might have to pick it up then. Thanks for the impressions.

[quote name='lolwut?']Pretty sure those were announced a couple months ago.[/QUOTE]

IIRC they were announced, but no release date until recently?

[quote name='lolwut?']Pretty sure those were announced a couple months ago.[/QUOTE]

Announced but no release date but set in stone until a few weeks or so ago, I cant wait for gladiator

Any trustworthy reviews of this; I'm curious to see if this is just a repressing of the HD-DVD's file (love the cover art regardless):

Edit: Whoa that cover was huge, I thumbnail linked it.

Just a heads up, in case you guys didn't notice, Monster's Inc is region free and now shipping from Amazon.co.uk.. winds up being about ~$26 shipped, which is still cheaper than what you'll probably pay when it eventually comes out here in the states.

[quote name='Scorch']Just a heads up, in case you guys didn't notice, Monster's Inc is region free and now shipping from Amazon.co.uk.. winds up being about ~$26 shipped, which is still cheaper than what you'll probably pay when it eventually comes out here in the states.[/QUOTE]
IDK about that, most of the Pixar titles that I have picked up have been for $19. Target puts them on sale every few months.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Any trustworthy reviews of this; I'm curious to see if this is just a repressing of the HD-DVD's file (love the cover art regardless):

Edit: Whoa that cover was huge, I thumbnail linked it.[/QUOTE]

I already own the HD-DVD but if this an improvement I may have to pick it up. Oh and Big Trouble in Little China Blu-Ray kicks ass!

[quote name='h3llbring3r']IDK about that, most of the Pixar titles that I have picked up have been for $19. Target puts them on sale every few months.[/QUOTE]

Right, but for an extra $7, you can have it months early. It doesn't even have a firm date in the US yet.

I'll pay a premium price (premium price to me is $25-$30) for Pixar stuff just because the movies are great and I think the team deserves my extra money. I strongly support their stuff, and the quality of their Blu's is unbelievable.. so I don't feel bad about paying a few extra bucks and getting it early.

[quote name='Scorch']Right, but for an extra $7, you can have it months early. It doesn't even have a firm date in the US yet.

I'll pay a premium price (premium price to me is $25-$30) for Pixar stuff just because the movies are great and I think the team deserves my extra money. I strongly support their stuff, and the quality of their Blu's is unbelievable.. so I don't feel bad about paying a few extra bucks and getting it early.[/QUOTE]
I can see what you are saying, and I agree Pixar blu's are stunning in terms of both AQ/VQ.

bread's done
Back