Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

[quote name='Demolition Man']Since when have they been good?[/QUOTE]

are you kidding.. in the early days of the hi def wars, they were top notch. 30 % off and free ship plus they would get new releases to your house the monday before release day. I miss those days.

Seems pretty packed:

• Audio Commentary—Two separate commentaries accompany the original theatrical version and extended version of the film.
• The Scrolls of Knowledge—The original trivia track has been newly enhanced with focus points allowing viewers to access a series of new behind-the-scenes featurettes exploring key scenes and how they relate to the historical accuracy depicted in the film. The extended version of the film also includes a deleted scene marker.
• Visions From Elysium: Topic Marker—Viewers can tag moments of interest throughout either version of the film, allowing them to create “shopping lists” of topics to learn more about. Thanks to the Blu-ray player’s memory, the topics will automatically be loaded when Disc 2 is inserted, giving viewers immediate access to featurettes and galleries of interest.
• Strength And Honor: Creating The World of Gladiator—The definitive documentary on the origin, production and impact of the Oscar®-winning classic. The documentary includes an all-new Enhanced Viewing Mode allowing viewers access to additional interviews and behind-the-scenes material.
• The Making of Gladiator—HBO First Look special.
• Gladiator Games: The Roman Bloodsport—Learning Channel special.
• Hans Zimmer: Scoring Gladiator—An exploration of the rousing soundtrack.
• My Gladiator Journal—Personal diary of the young actor who played Lucius.
• Image & Design—Featurettes and galleries covering the production design, storyboards, costumes and more.
• Abandoned Sequences & Deleted Scenes
• VFX Explorations: Germania & Rome—Shot deconstruction with the visual effects artists.

[quote name='neocisco']Has anybody seen the listings for the extras on Gladiator?[/QUOTE]

Seems pretty packed:

• Audio Commentary—Two separate commentaries accompany the original theatrical version and extended version of the film.
• The Scrolls of Knowledge—The original trivia track has been newly enhanced with focus points allowing viewers to access a series of new behind-the-scenes featurettes exploring key scenes and how they relate to the historical accuracy depicted in the film. The extended version of the film also includes a deleted scene marker.
• Visions From Elysium: Topic Marker—Viewers can tag moments of interest throughout either version of the film, allowing them to create “shopping lists” of topics to learn more about. Thanks to the Blu-ray player’s memory, the topics will automatically be loaded when Disc 2 is inserted, giving viewers immediate access to featurettes and galleries of interest.
• Strength And Honor: Creating The World of Gladiator—The definitive documentary on the origin, production and impact of the Oscar®-winning classic. The documentary includes an all-new Enhanced Viewing Mode allowing viewers access to additional interviews and behind-the-scenes material.
• The Making of Gladiator—HBO First Look special.
• Gladiator Games: The Roman Bloodsport—Learning Channel special.
• Hans Zimmer: Scoring Gladiator—An exploration of the rousing soundtrack.
• My Gladiator Journal—Personal diary of the young actor who played Lucius.
• Image & Design—Featurettes and galleries covering the production design, storyboards, costumes and more.
• Abandoned Sequences & Deleted Scenes
• VFX Explorations: Germania & Rome—Shot deconstruction with the visual effects artists.

got my tmnt set in..

kinda bummed that theres no indivual cases.. (as usual).

One of the discs was loose because of the design.

So far noticing alot of grain and some ghosting in part 1

pics:

081720091581.jpg

081720091571.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='neocisco']Has anybody seen the listings for the extras on Gladiator?[/QUOTE]

Just a note on Gladiator; you might want to order it from the UK and get the kickass steelbook. It's 17.99 pounds which comes to around $30, about what it would cost buying the US release from Amazon ($27.99?).

Shipping might drive it up a few more bucks, but I might bite; the case is worth the extra ~$5-7

Thanks for the pics, Guyver. No individual cases = no buy.

Got my Monsters, Inc. today. Holy balls. Seriously. It looks insane.

[quote name='guyver2077']got my tmnt set in..

pics:

081720091581.jpg

081720091571.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That it possibly the worst case design I have ever seen.

[quote name='guyver2077']got my tmnt set in..

pics:

081720091581.jpg

081720091571.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Ouch...that sucks.

-------------------

UP was on my Goldbox today...it was only $1.60 off, but I bit. Figure I have plenty of time to decide whether I want to keep it or not.

I have yet to see the movie too. It's at the $3 theater near me and I'm hoping to go watch it this weekend with the wife.

so im shipping a bd disc on goozex for the first time.. can anyone tell me the weight of a standard bluray/hddvd case with disc? (it wasnt automatically detected)

That Turtles set has a horrible design, but on a good note, an extraordinary boxset is the True Blood S1 set. I just started watching the show yesterday and it is great. It looks great too. HBO can never go wrong.

[quote name='guyver2077']so engadget is reporting that the new slim ps3 will bitstream true hd... very interesting.[/QUOTE]

what does it do now?

[quote name='DestroVega']what does it do now?[/QUOTE]Another article in question about it:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10314795-1.html

However:
[quote name='From CNET article']Unfortunately, the practical benefit of this feature upgrade is minimal. The "fat" PS3 could transmit Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio in uncompressed linear PCM format, providing the exact same audio quality as the bit stream versions. There are some cases where an AV receiver may process linear PCM differently than bit stream, but its rare. On the other hand, it's at least nice to have the option, especially for those guys who just have to see the words "DTS-HD Master Audio" light up on their AV receiver.[/quote]

yea the oldies could only send linear PCM.. but could not bitstream through hdmi.

Im one of those guys that want to see "DTS-HD" on my receiver.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Ah, so it would depend on your receiver's handling of the TrueHD audio and DTS-HD audio as well. I'm not even sure how mine is processed.[/QUOTE]As long as you don't have a low-end receiver that can't decode TrueHD, this is a non-issue. Not an issue for me.

I'm actually excited to pick up the Adventureland blu ray when I find a good deal. Saw it in theaters and enjoyed it, glad it has a digital copy.

Im actually excited to pick up Adventureland when I find a good deal. Saw it in theaters randomly and enjoyed it, glad it comes with a digital copy.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Wanna see how shitty Gladiator is on Blu-ray?

Where have all the cowboys gone? How about where did all the arrows go?

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7889/glad1a.jpg
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/3937/glad1b.jpg

Any guess which is the Blu-ray and the other a HDTV screencap?[/QUOTE]

Well fuck me. I can't believe they would do this to such a well known title. I bet Forest Gump and Braveheart will have the same issues :bomb:

Edit: I guess Braveheart is ok. At least that's what I've been reading...

is that the only bad part of the bluray release? because if so the other screens I've seen will more than enough make up for that.

If you can't see the thick coat of DNR applied to the movie than you probably will be fine picking it up. Go look at some comparison screens before you do though.

On that note, Braveheart looks amazing. No idea why they decided to fuck with Gladiator; the difference between the normal scenes and the added extended ones is huge.

well that sucks as I was REALLY looking forward to that movie. I mean I could look past some missing arrows in a scene but something like what gizmo posted would be pretty lame throughout the movie.

Well, that's pretty annoying about the excess of EE for Gladiator. :bomb: Guess I'll wait for it to go on sale for cheaper due to that.

Gizmo, besides the ugly presence of EE, how is the rest of the PQ?

I don't have it yet. Review copies have not gone out but they have leaked in some stores (Wal-Mart...cough). I have no interest in either film so I won't be getting them.

[quote name='shrike4242']Understood. I guess we'll have to wait out the reviews from the usual sources.[/QUOTE]

Both are expected in a few days to reviewers.

Ah, rec'd my UK copy of Monsters Inc. I will try to pop it in tonight for a look-see.

Speaking of Pixar films, Disney is double-dipping Cars this November. They are adding DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and a couple of toys, but that's it.

Edit: whoa, I absolutely loved the movie, but what the heck about this package is worth $140, let alone $200??

http://www.amazon.com/Up-Limited-Luxo-Collectible-Blu-ray/dp/B002LE6XR2/ref=pd_cp_d_3

Oh wow, I popped in Monsters, Inc. and it is simply stunning. Could I have waited a couple more months? Probably. But I don't regret picking it up now (or double dipping off my DVD copy for that matter) at all. This is the kind of disc you show off the A/V set up to your friends--highly recommended whether you import or get the US release.

[quote name='gunm']Ah, rec'd my UK copy of Monsters Inc. I will try to pop it in tonight for a look-see.

Speaking of Pixar films, Disney is double-dipping Cars this November. They are adding DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and a couple of toys, but that's it.

Edit: whoa, I absolutely loved the movie, but what the heck about this package is worth $140, let alone $200??

http://www.amazon.com/Up-Limited-Luxo-Collectible-Blu-ray/dp/B002LE6XR2/ref=pd_cp_d_3[/QUOTE]

How about this:
http://www.amazon.com/White-Dwarfs-...ef=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1251267120&sr=1-3

Conflicted on Gladiator. Why would such a highly anticipated release have such a bad transfer? You'd think that they would want to take their time with this one.

[quote name='guyver2077']i guess i just suck at eyeballing those comparison pics.. i dont see huge differences[/QUOTE]

You don't see the fireball missing in the middle of the frame? Perhaps you should stick to SelectaVision... :cool:

bread's done
Back