Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

Buffy Season 8 (Motion Comic)
51tUpZBMcDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Buffy-Vampire...ef=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1280382553&sr=8-7

[quote name='sotc1988']Just ordered 2001: a space odyssey off amazon for $8. I fucking love this film and I can't wait to watch it.[/QUOTE]

Jaw-dropping transfer as well. You'll enjoy it in 1080p like you've never enjoyed it before. :)

While I'm in here. . .anyone have a bead on the best deal for Kick-Ass?

Question:
I am confused over the new Escape from New York release? Is this the terrible UK release or is this a new encoding? I've read conflicting reports.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Question:
I am confused over the new Escape from New York release? Is this the terrible UK release or is this a new encoding? I've read conflicting reports.[/QUOTE]

Appears to be a new encode from this review:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Escape-from-New-York-Blu-ray/12117/#Review

Better than the terrible UK release, and it's good, though not great, so the review says. No special features, no extras on the disc. Just the movie and that's it.

Plus, it dropped to $13.49 on Amazon this morning.

[quote name='shrike4242']Appears to be a new encode from this review:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Escape-from-New-York-Blu-ray/12117/#Review

Better than the terrible UK release, and it's good, though not great, so the review says. No special features, no extras on the disc. Just the movie and that's it.

Plus, it dropped to $13.49 on Amazon this morning.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping it will be a $9 Fry's Friday sale movie.
It's got to be better than the DVD release I rented years back (which looked like a VHS capture).

Grindhouse cover art and details:

ZZ4E1ACCAB.jpg

Disc 1 - Theatrical Exhibition:

• Grindhouse Feature (Planet Terror)
  • Intermission Cards
  • Don’t Trailer
  • Werewolf Women of the S.S Trailer
  • Thanksgiving Trailer
  • Grindhouse Feature (Death Proof)
Disc 2
Planet Terror

• Robert Rodriguez’s 10-Minute Film School
  • The Badass Babes of Planet Terror
  • The Guys of Planet Terror
  • Casting Rebel
  • Sickos, Bullets, And Explosions: The Stunts of Planet Terror
  • The Friend, The Doctor, and the Real Estate Agent
  • Planet Terror Poster Gallery
Death Proof

• Stunts On Wheels: The Legendary Drivers of Death Proof
  • Quentin’s Greatest Collaborator: Editor Sally Menke
  • The Guys of Death Proof
  • Kurt Russell as Stuntman Mike
  • Finding Quentin’s Gals
  • The Uncut Version of “Baby, It’s You” performed by Mary Elizabeth Winstead
  • Introducing Zoe Bell
  • Double Dare Trailer
  • Death Proof Extended Music
  • Death Proof Poster Gallery
Blu-Ray exclusive bonus features:

• Robert Rodriguez’s 10-Minute Cooking School
  • The Makeup Effects of Planet Terror
  • The Hot Rods of Death Proof
  • From Texas to Tennessee: The Production Design of Death Proof
  • Trailers
  • Extended Werewolf Women of The SS Trailer
  • View Extended Cut Of Werewolf Women of the SS Trailer with Commentary by Director Rob Zombie
  • The Making Of Werewolf Women of the SS Trailer
  • Extended Don’t Trailer
  • View Extended Cut Of Don’t Trailer with Commentary by Director Edgar Wright
  • The Making of Don’t Trailer
  • Don’t Storyboard/Trailer Comparison
  • View Don’t Storyboard/Trailer Comparison with Commentary by Director Edgar Wright
  • Don’t Storyboards Still Gallery
  • Don’t Poster
  • The Making of Thanksgiving Trailer
  • New York Times Talk with Quention Tarantino and Lynn Hirschberg at Comic Con 2006 Featuring the Directors and Cast of Grindhouse
  • Grindhouse Trailer Contest Winner Hobo With A Shotgun

^Holy shit is that cover bad ass... (although, seems to be a slipcover) and the amount of stuff in the set is awesome...

but I still wonder, where is the Machete trailer? gone because of the movie coming out?

Glad I pre-ordered for 14$... well worth every cent.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Grindhouse cover art and details:

ZZ4E1ACCAB.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That's just the slipcover.

This is the actual art (via Amazon.com)

30ec5940695cfb61d9e2fd5.jpg

[quote name='DestroVega']but I still wonder, where is the Machete trailer? gone because of the movie coming out?[/QUOTE]

I imagine they forgot to mention it since it ran before Planet Terror.

Last edited by a moderator:
The $14 pre-order gets even better with nice cover art and a nice slipcover for Grindhouse.

Looks like it's a good release at a higher price, though glad that's not me. :D

[quote name='shrike4242']The $14 pre-order gets even better with nice cover art and a nice slipcover for Grindhouse.

Looks like it's a good release at a higher price, though glad that's not me. :D[/QUOTE]
How did you pre-order this for $14?

[quote name='shrike4242']The $14 pre-order gets even better with nice cover art and a nice slipcover for Grindhouse.

Looks like it's a good release at a higher price, though glad that's not me. :D[/QUOTE]

Was there an old pre-order price at $14 or something? I'd sell my copy of Planet Terror and buy this if it were $14.

[quote name='freshzen']Was there an old pre-order price at $14 or something? I'd sell my copy of Planet Terror and buy this if it were $14.[/QUOTE]

When Grindhouse first went up for preorder, Amazon had it listed for $14.

[quote name='neocisco']Just so I'm clear, the Gladiator BR exchange program is now up and running?[/QUOTE]From the posting on TheDigitalBits, it seems to be.

Some retailers are still shipping out the old one, as this review post on Amazon details:

[quote name='From Amazon.com review post']I ordered Gladiator this week hoping for the new version per other discussions & reviews. Unfortunately, Amazon is still sending out the old version at least in my case. I called Paramount Home Entertainment (888-889-9456) and they verified my copy I rec'd on Aug. 10 was the old version. They also indicated the old version had been pulled & discontinued. Verification was done by asking two questions: 1) What was the color of the UPC label, yellow not white is the new version, and 2) What is the ID number on the back side of Disc 1 near the center. I had to use a magnifying glass to read it beginning with the letters "NA" and ending with "R1" for the old version or "R2" for the new. They instructed me to send disc 1 only to them with my name, address & phone for a replacement set.[/quote]

[quote name='shrike4242']From the posting on TheDigitalBits, it seems to be.[/QUOTE]

That's what I took it to mean, just wanted a second opinion. Thanks.

Has anyone sent in a Gladiator disc yet?

[quote name='neocisco']That's what I took it to mean, just wanted a second opinion. Thanks.

Has anyone sent in a Gladiator disc yet?[/QUOTE]

I sent mine in roughly a week ago.

[quote name='shrike4242']Toy Story 3 preorders are up on Amazon, release date of 11/02/10:

2-disc BR/DVD-DC combo @ $28.99: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XKPPOU
1-disc BR only @ $24.99: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00275EHJQ

Now the wait for the $10 coupon begins, and the possible 3-pack for all three movies.

Plus, some commentary about Star Trek TNG being a hard one to bring to BR as well as some further info about the Gladiator exchange program:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. Set a placeholder pre-order, and am too hoping for the coupon. And TNG on BD needs to happen. I need that in my life.

And, on reflection, if the price was appropriate, I'd even take the original versions on the BDs, just to take up less space. But, again, the price would have to be appropriate. I really hope the 'Holy Grail' version doesn't top $399.

I have a question for the group (I think I've asked this before, but don't remember getting an answer)

If you see a Blu Ray with a review like this

Major League

At what point does it make more sense to just stick with the DVD version of a movie?

Criterion announced Night Of The Hunter, Antichrist, Modern Times and American Lost & Found: The BBS Story boxset (Head, Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, Drive He Said, A Safe Place, The Last Picture Show and The King Of Marvin Gardens) for November.

Stacked month.

[quote name='ZForce915']I have a question for the group (I think I've asked this before, but don't remember getting an answer)

Major League

At what point does it make more sense to just stick with the DVD version of a movie?[/QUOTE]

Never in my case.

If a movie has a poor review like that, I either get it from Netflix to scratch that itch or wait until it is dirt cheap. I don't buy DVDs anymore.

[quote name='ZForce915']I have a question for the group (I think I've asked this before, but don't remember getting an answer)

Major League

At what point does it make more sense to just stick with the DVD version of a movie?[/QUOTE] That's a no buy for me unless it's $5 or under. Upconverted dvd will suffice.

Major League

At what point does it make more sense to just stick with the DVD version of a movie?[/QUOTE]

I have both the DVD and Blu-Ray, the Blu-Ray still looks better. and it's 10 bucks everywhere, a good price.

Sounds like Cameron may have fucked up the upcoming Aliens release.

Interviewer: Do you have anything to do with the new Aliens stuff they are putting out?

Cameron: I just did a complete remaster of Aliens personally, uh, with the same colorist I worked with from Avatar and it's spectacular. We went in and completely denoised and degrained it, up-rezzed it, color corrected it from end to end, every frame and it looks amazing. It looks better than it did in theaters, originally, because it was shot on a high speed negative, a new negative that didn't pan out too well and got replaced the following year so it was pretty grainy...we got rid of all the grain and it's sharper and clearer and more beautiful than it's ever looked and we did that to the long version.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=68820

[quote name='DestroVega']I think I'd give James fucking Cameron the benefit of the doubt for now.[/QUOTE]

I agree, he's not exactly a "cutting corners" kind of guy.

[quote name='DestroVega']I think I'd give James fucking Cameron the benefit of the doubt for now.[/QUOTE]

I normally would but when I start hearing stuff like "degrained", "denoised" and "we got rid of all the grain", my "oh no #-o" alarm starts going off.

Off topic, guess who has a signed by James Cameron copy of Titanic on DVD? This guy :booty:

Well he isn't exactly some hack director. If that's his artistic vision for what he really wanted from the beginning and just couldn't do it due to budget restraints or whatever, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best.

This is kind of neat, and might actually make me use BD-Live for once:

[quote name='"The Office Season 6 Bonus Features"']Universal City, California, August 19, 2010 - For the first time ever on Blu-ray, fans of "the most influential show since Seinfeld" (Rob Sheffield, Rolling Stone) can watch the latest episodes of "The Office" without ever setting their DVR when "The Office" Season Six arrives on Blu-ray Hi-Def September 7, 2010 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. As part of this groundbreaking set, the Blu-ray release of "The Office" Season 6 will allow fans to access content like never before via BD-Live. Through their Internet-connected Blu-ray player using BD-Live, purchasers will now have an opportunity to watch the latest five episodes from Season Seven after they air on their home televisions. Season Seven episodes will be available in HD, pending individual Internet connection speeds. [/QUOTE]

Nice to see some other Disney releases showing up on BR besides the recent catalog releases. Disney's bringing out a 4-disc (2 BR / 2 DVD) set with Fantasia and Fantasia 2000:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5058

Releases on November 30th. Day 1 purchase for me, assuming no issues with the transfer.

Once again, nothing about The Incredibles on BR. :cry:

[quote name='shrike4242']Once again, nothing about The Incredibles on BR. :cry:[/QUOTE]

And my breath continues to be held.

EDIT: Lost in Translation has a 12/7 release date.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent my Gladiator disc in a few weeks ago. The turnaround time on it was less than 2 weeks and it came in via FedEx. A pleasant experience.

bread's done
Back