Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice2Dragon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
July 29, 2008 Releases

The Band's Visit
Beowulf : Directors Cut (TruHD audio!!! WOOT!)
The Big White
Clear and Present Danger
Dark City
Doomsday (not a bad movie...looks phenomenal!)
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle (Unrated?)
Harold and Kumar Go To Guantanemo Bay (Unrated)
Human Body : Pushing The Limits
Hunt For Red October
Lost Boys
Lost Boys : The Tribe (Is this a sequel or a prequel? Anyone)
Mortuary
Never back Down
Patriot Games
Perhaps Love
Robin Hood : Season 1
Salvage
Shine A Light
Stargate : Continuum
Sum Of All Fears
Tiger Blade
Top Gun (Wooo!!!)
Vengeance

Itll be updated every week, sorry guys. Ive had a very busy two weeks @_@

Helpful Links

AVS picture quality tier thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316
HDM reviews and new:
High Def Digest

Import Sites
www.xploitedcinema.com

Region Code Listing
http://bluray.liesinc.net

OP will be updated soon with more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
How bad are the picture and sound for U-571 and End of Days? $42 on Amazon for the Action Starter Pack seems like a pretty good deal, so I am thinking those two are duds, considering Miami Vice is a fairly recent movie.

U-571 PQ/AQ is amazing.
End of Days has decent AQ...PQ is one of the worst I've seen (same with the HD DVD version).

For both, if you have the HD DVD keep them.

U-571 has better picture on HD DVD and End of Days BD dropped all the special features from HD DVD version.

[quote name='GizmoGC']U-571 PQ/AQ is amazing.
End of Days has decent AQ...PQ is one of the worst I've seen (same with the HD DVD version).

For both, if you have the HD DVD keep them.

U-571 has better picture on HD DVD and End of Days BD dropped all the special features from HD DVD version.[/quote]

Thanks for you the quick response, Gizmo. Can always bank on you to offer up some good advice on films. I don't have either U-571 or End of Days on HD-DVD, even though I enjoy both films, so I might have to consider this. Not the biggest fan of Miami Vice (actually trying to get rid of an HD-DVD copy on my TL), though. I see some good prices on the other two films on HD-DVD in a few places, so I might just pick them up and avoid being stuck with another copy of Miami Vice.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Thanks for you the quick response, Gizmo. Can always bank on you to offer up some good advice on films. I don't have either U-571 or End of Days on HD-DVD, even though I enjoy both films, so I might have to consider this. Not the biggest fan of Miami Vice (actually trying to get rid of an HD-DVD copy on my TL), though. I see some good prices on the other two films on HD-DVD in a few places, so I might just pick them up and avoid being stuck with another copy of Miami Vice.[/QUOTE]

You're Welcome. Love to be of help. Looking forward to getting the horror and comedy pack from Universal soon!

IIRC, I got both End of Days and U-571 from iNetVideo for about $6 or so. Well worth it. I held on to my HD DVD copies of both films and got rid of the Blu.

[quote name='guyver2077']heroes season 2 didnt get such a good review.

Any where to get it cheaper than the amazon 40? 40 seems like a lot for 11 episodes[/QUOTE]

You mean the show in general or the quality on BD?

[quote name='GizmoGC']You mean the show in general or the quality on BD?[/quote]

the actual show.. season 2 was a supposed dissapointment but I have not watched it yet

Damn, forgot I pre-ordered Heroes S2 at Amazon. Hopefully, I enjoy it. Managed to not see more than five minutes of last season, though I'm worried considering all the bad word I've heard of last season's story arch.

Just the arc with the twins from Honduras sucked ass...other than that it was a great season. But sadly that ugly arc takes up a lot of the season :whistle2:(

[quote name='anomynous']It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be[/quote]

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Just the arc with the twins from Honduras sucked ass...other than that it was a great season. But sadly that ugly arc takes up a lot of the season :whistle2:([/quote]Good to know. Then again, as Gizmo noted the great thing about having it on Blu-Ray is that you don't have a week to stew over a bad episode. Then again, I'm not really that picky over television unless it's blatantly bad. I can stomach the not so good efforts they throw out there.

In the next 2 years we are going to get Pinocchio, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Fantasia, Fantasia 2000 and Beauty and the Beast.

I wish they would just hurry up and push them out. 5 titles in 2 years is lame.

LOS ANGELES — The Walt Disney Company is dispatching Pinocchio, Snow White and a team of other characters in its effort to accelerate consumer adoption of next-generation DVD technology.

Disney, like other media companies, is counting on high-definition Blu-ray discs — and companion technology that connects them to the Internet — to reinvigorate its highly profitable home entertainment business. But so far, Blu-ray players are selling more slowly than expected, apparently because people are not convinced they need a better DVD experience.

So Disney is sending in the troops. The company will release five “platinum” titles from its library in the Blu-ray format over the next two years, hoping that classic animated movies will spur wider interest.

The films are “Pinocchio,” “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” “Fantasia,” “Fantasia 2000” and “Beauty and the Beast.” The company had previously announced plans to introduce one such title, “Sleeping Beauty.”

All the DVDs will include unusual features geared toward a generation that embraces interactivity and social networking. Viewers can watch a movie in tandem with friends in other locations, while they chat using a laptop or cellphone (the comments appear on the screen).

Viewers will also be able to compete against others around the world at trivia or send what Disney is calling movie mail, video images of themselves that appear within the context of the movie.

Such activities are possible because of a technology called BD Live that connects Blu-ray discs with the Internet.

Bob Chapek, president of Disney’s home entertainment unit, said that his company hoped the animated favorites would help it “break past early adopters” to a wider group of consumers.

“BD Live is not a niche product,” Mr. Chapek said. “We see mass adoption of the technology.”

Mr. Chapek said that “Snow White,” last available in 2001, had helped start the market for traditional DVDs. “The power of these titles is incredible,” he said.

Disney needs all the muscle it can find. Sales of Blu-ray players have been disappointing — although the industry has big hopes for the coming holiday season — and players compatible with BD Live just became available a few months ago.

They are also expensive: Blu-ray players that function with BD Live are priced from $300 to $700, much more than regular Blu-ray machines.

Making DVDs exciting is a trick that movie studios are desperate to pull off. After years of blistering growth, domestic DVD sales fell 3.2 percent last year, to $15.9 billion, the first annual drop in the medium’s history, according to Adams Media Research.

Blu-ray sales are growing fast, but still represent a tiny part of the business. The industry estimate for sales of Blu-ray discs in 2008 is nearly $1 billion, up from $170 million last year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/27/b...=business&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

[quote name='Sporadic']In the next 2 years we are going to get Pinocchio, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Fantasia, Fantasia 2000 and Beauty and the Beast.

I wish they would just hurry up and push them out. 5 titles in 2 years is lame.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/27/b...=business&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin[/QUOTE]

I was just about to post this. If they can pull off a good remaster of the original Fantasia's score.. holy bejesus. I'm not a Disney fan, but Fantasia is amazing. I'll likely be picking up Fantasia 2000 as well.. I have a feeling it will be at least a year before they hit retail though.

BD-Live is great (especially for Sleeping Beauty which I had a chance to play around with at a Disney BD-Live event in Hollywood a few months back) but most people could careless. They have no intentions of ever connecting their player to the internet nor do they have any idea how to perform a firmware update. Many of these BD-Live Ready players will remain Profile 1.1 as J6P could careless about it. Its the sad, sad truth.

I am happy to see Beauty and The Beast listed their as that is a Day 1 purchase for me. Could careless about Fantasias, Pinocchio or Snow White. I want Aladdin, Lion King and Mulan!

Ice2Dragon hasn't updated the OP since last month (07-28-2008)

Considering he got the first post by bitching non-stop about how the original guy couldn't "do something simple" like copy and paste the release list from HDD, I say that the OP should be passed along to somebody that will actually update it.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Start a new thread. Mission solved![/QUOTE]

I've dealt with megathreads before and I can't say that I like doing them.

I usually write up a kickass FAQ/summary and than only update breaking news/release list. It's a massive pain in the ass to actually update and add stuff to the FAQ/summary.

If nobody wants to step up than I'll do it.

[quote name='Sporadic']Ice2Dragon hasn't updated the OP since last month (07-28-2008)

Considering he got the first post by bitching non-stop about how the original guy couldn't "do something simple" like copy and paste the release list from HDD, I say that the OP should be passed along to somebody that will actually update it.[/quote]

Feel free. I'll close this.

So...how wants to manage it? If no takers I will.

Edit: Ok. New thread started. I'll be updating it later tonight/tomorrow with more release information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back