Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice2Dragon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
July 29, 2008 Releases

The Band's Visit
Beowulf : Directors Cut (TruHD audio!!! WOOT!)
The Big White
Clear and Present Danger
Dark City
Doomsday (not a bad movie...looks phenomenal!)
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle (Unrated?)
Harold and Kumar Go To Guantanemo Bay (Unrated)
Human Body : Pushing The Limits
Hunt For Red October
Lost Boys
Lost Boys : The Tribe (Is this a sequel or a prequel? Anyone)
Mortuary
Never back Down
Patriot Games
Perhaps Love
Robin Hood : Season 1
Salvage
Shine A Light
Stargate : Continuum
Sum Of All Fears
Tiger Blade
Top Gun (Wooo!!!)
Vengeance

Itll be updated every week, sorry guys. Ive had a very busy two weeks @_@

Helpful Links

AVS picture quality tier thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316
HDM reviews and new:
High Def Digest

Import Sites
www.xploitedcinema.com

Region Code Listing
http://bluray.liesinc.net

OP will be updated soon with more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Richlough']Did anyone get a Hancock sneak peak BD from Best Buy .

They're scanning at $.01 .

It's worth it for the replacement case , it's the good case with the actual chrome logo .[/quote]

Wow! And I was just at a BB that had a ton of them. I wish I would have known then and checked out what they were scanning at. For a penny, you're right about them being worth it for the case. And you can always just enjoy smashing the extras discs, as well.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Wow! And I was just at a BB that had a ton of them. I wish I would have known then and checked out what they were scanning at. For a penny, you're right about them being worth it for the case. And you can always just enjoy smashing the extras discs, as well.[/QUOTE]

Blu-Ray hard-coating stress test guinea pig anyone ? :lol:

Looks like Weinstein has pulled a Fountain and replaced The Mist's cover with a much better version.

mistsm2.jpg

[quote name='Sporadic']Looks like Weinstein has pulled a Fountain and replaced The Mist's cover with a much better version.
[/quote]

But unfortunately the movie inside is still crap.

[quote name='Bezerker']But unfortunately the movie inside is still crap.[/quote]Pretty on the outside, crap on the inside?

Guess this is another case of "don't judge the book by its cover", just in reverse to what you expect? :whistle2:s

Actually I find the opposite to be true... The Mist was decent, not great by any means, but a decent time waster. That boxart however, is horrible.

Of course, to each his own.

[quote name='Bezerker']But unfortunately the movie inside is still crap.[/QUOTE]

fuck yooooooooooouuuuuu

I really enjoyed it (and 1408), the ending was a little abrupt (would have been better if they dragged it out) but other than that it's a great Stephen King movie.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Looks great. Wonder if they will do the same with their other releases?[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. I heard a rumor that they changed the cover art to better match the feel of the second disc (black-and-white version)

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Wow! And I was just at a BB that had a ton of them. I wish I would have known then and checked out what they were scanning at. For a penny, you're right about them being worth it for the case. And you can always just enjoy smashing the extras discs, as well.[/quote]
microwave them, that never gets old...or put a few in, smoke a fattie, and enjoy your 10 sec. fireworks show:cool:

So has anyone's BR SCC shipped from Amazon yet? They have just started processing mine.

I had to take a double take when I saw the price for it at BB($22ish) but then I realized that it was only DVD, BR was $40 so amazon saves me me about $12.
Should be here Wednesday, possibly Tuesday depending on where it is coming from.

Any word on Vanilla Sky coming to Blu-Ray? I've been playing the shit out of Braid for the 360 and somehow it reminds me of that movie in a lot of ways, at least early on when you have no idea what was happening, or if the game character was batshit crazy.

Anyone who can get ahold of one of those Hancock cases I will buy one for $3 shipped? One of my blu ray cases is completely ruined by goo from all the stickers and doesnt come off. Even with goobegone. :\

right around the corner for heroes season 2.. any new deals appeared?..

i cant even get anything i want to appear in gold box anymore

also my terminator scc arrived today via wb

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='aboveaveragewes']No Director's Cut? I guess I'll be renting this and waiting for a good release.[/QUOTE]

I believe what I saw when the movie originally came out is that it would have all of the leftover footage as just "extra scenes" that you could watch. I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure I remember hearing interviews with the director that the theatrical cut is the final cut, that there would be no director's cut, etc. But then again, without any detailed specs for the disc, hopefully the extra footage still finds its way on there.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Just got Heroes Season 1 & 2 along with Nightmare before Christmas.

This is going to be an awesome weekend for me!!![/quote]

How'd you get ahold of Heroes so early?

[quote name='TehMuff1nM4n']How'd you get ahold of Heroes so early?[/QUOTE]

He gets review copies.

You need to post impressions on Nightmare Before Christmas immediately. How's it looked compared to Corpse Bride?

[quote name='Sporadic']He gets review copies.

You need to post impressions on Nightmare Before Christmas immediately. How's it looked compared to Corpse Bride?[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

I'll check out Nightmare tonight or tomorrow...I have corpse on HD DVD so I can A/B between them and see which looks better. I'd imagine Corpse would due to it being a newer film...too bad they ditched the 3D mode on Nightmare!

Also, for those that do not know, Nightmare comes with a shiny embossed slim cover as well as a 'digital copy' that can be transferred to an iPod etc. Disney bumped up MSRP $5 for this reason...cheapest is Amazon at $28 or Target for $30.

[quote name='Sporadic']He gets review copies.

You need to post impressions on Nightmare Before Christmas immediately. How's it looked compared to Corpse Bride?[/quote]He also needs to post impressions of Heroes S1, as I'm curious how the BR version is compared to the HD-DVD version I own.

[quote name='shrike4242']He also needs to post impressions of Heroes S1, as I'm curious how the BR version is compared to the HD-DVD version I own.[/QUOTE]

Here is some of what I wrote (it won't be posted until later this week)

While the Blu-ray brings over the majority of supplements from the HD DVD set on less discs, sacrifices have been made. Gone is the "Helic Symbol" feature from U-Control (which was admittedly really stupid), "Mind Games" and the Genetic Test (though this might be available; its simply not listed on the back of the case and its a BD-Live function which is unavailable at the time of writing). While none of these features are major, its disappointing they could not be carried over, especially something as small and minor as the Helic Symbol feature.

Universal has once again bumped up the audio for this release - gone is the Dolby Digital Plus tracks in favor in Universal new baby DTS MA. Since the show is almost entirely dialog driven, don't expect much improvement over the different audio format. I personally didn't notice any improvement from the upped audio codecs. Regardless, the DTS MA provides crystal clear dialog and when there is some action on the show, provides a decent oomph from my sub woofer. While not the best soundtrack for a TV Show I have heard (Lost Season 3) on HDM, still a great track and a good start for Universal...unlike other studios who include only basic Dolby Digital 5.1 (Looking at you Warner...)

In a nutshell if you have the HD DVD version, and could careless about your sets matching, I would pass (especially since Season 1 BD is $75). If not the missing features are not that important. DTS MA sounds great, but again its so dialog driven I couldn't tell the difference (I sampled several "heavy" scenes for the show including the explosion halfway through the season...).

Also a very minor change from HD DVD to Blu-ray...

Its worth noting Universal has done away with the nice hard case that came with the HD DVD set in favor a thinner, cheaper cardboard that matches Season Two. While not a big deal, I thought I would mention it for those that care.

If you guys ever want pictures of the case etc. feel free to let me know. I get request from other forums so its no biggie.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']What site do you review for GizmoGC?[/QUOTE]

www.moviemansguide.com (under the name Brad)

I tend to make my reviews a bit easier to read unlike stuff you would see at HDD or other sites. I'm not a fan of giving away every ounce of story and tend to focus on what I like and what I didn't. I do sometimes go all out on some movies, but for the most part, I do a review a day so I don't have as much time as some of the other reviews to delve deep into things. I typically do most of the Blu-ray reviews as well as some of the TV on DVD and DVD horror releases.

Edit: I said "I' way too much there. Time to go to sleep...after watching some Heroes!

fuck the band color. I'm glad they're going with green for The Hulk. It's getting to be entering Electronic Arts territory with how often Sony likes to remind you you're watching Blu-Ray. It's like buying a cassette tape and having "you are listening to high fidelity cassete tape!" before the first song. Worse is the disc art for some of these, a giant blue graphic with a faded box cover shot in a quadrant.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Worse is the disc art for some of these, a giant blue graphic with a faded box cover shot in a quadrant.[/quote]

Yeah, I think that was just some early movies though. Seems like a a lot of Buena Vista/Disney releases had it. Kind of annoying though.

[quote name='GizmoGC']In a nutshell if you have the HD DVD version, and could careless about your sets matching, I would pass (especially since Season 1 BD is $75). If not the missing features are not that important. DTS MA sounds great, but again its so dialog driven I couldn't tell the difference (I sampled several "heavy" scenes for the show including the explosion halfway through the season...).[/quote]Here's the HDD review:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1450/heroes_s1.html

Does that concur with what you saw when you were looking it over?

[quote name='shrike4242']Here's the HDD review:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1450/heroes_s1.html

Does that concur with what you saw when you were looking it over?[/QUOTE]

No, I actually rated everything 4.5 across the board (IIRC). For a TV show it has some excellent Audio and PQ (It would be unfair to judge it to against Bee Movie or There Will Be Blood PQ wise and Transformers AQ wise.)

Funny, they actually made a few glaring mistakes and I made mention of it over at HDD...we'll see if it gets corrected or "forgotten".

He neglected several ommisions that are not present on the Blu-ray:
The "Helix Revealed" U-Control has been removed.
Genetic Mind Games has been removed.
And the Genetic Test thing might not be there as its not mentioned on the back of the package and there is no way to tell because the BD-Live function does not work as of yesterday afternoon.

Interesting to see it holds the same Special Features score for both BD and HD even with the removed features... but at least he bumped up the HD Audio score on the BD review to reflect BD's superiority. :whistle2:#

Speaking of import BDs, who are people turning to these days as xploitedcinema slowly goes out of business? There's a couple upcoming releases I want to get unless the NA versions are announced soon and I may not be able to wait for the NA release of Zodiac. I know Amazon for UK, German and Japanese releases, but stuff what about stuff like the rest of Europe? I can't find an english friendly site that has BD from Norway & Denmark.

[quote name='GizmoGC']I got my Sweeny Tood Steelbook BD today from Amazon.uk! So excited to watch this one![/QUOTE]

Cool, be sure to post your impressions of it.

I'm planning on importing the HK version and Lust, Caution from yesasia as soon as I get the money.

Sweeney Todd is easily worth the price tag. Top notch PQ, great movie.

Can't really judge the sound since I don't have a sound system, but I'm sure that it's good too.

Criterion posted a FAQ on their upcoming Blu-Ray releases.

Are Criterion's Blu-ray discs region-encoded?

Yes. Criterion is licensed to sell most of its editions only in North America.

Why should I buy regular DVDs when I don't know if Criterion will release a Blu-ray version six months from now?

If you love these films, keep buying DVDs. It is going to be quite a while before the Blu-ray marketplace can support many of the titles Criterion releases on DVD. For new releases, if we think a title has a shot of succeeding on Blu-ray, we aim to put out both editions at the same time, so you can make an informed choice. Where classics from our catalog are concerned, to give you a little extra comfort we'll be offering a $20 Blu-ray upgrade program for customers who have already bought the equivalent edition on DVD.

You send us the movie disc from your DVD edition, and for $20 (plus tax and shipping) we'll exchange it for the Blu-ray version, simple as that.

How will the Blu-ray upgrade program work?

Just mail your disc to:

The Criterion Collection
Attn: Jon Mulvaney
215 Park Avenue South, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10003

Be sure to include your U.S. or Canadian mailing address inside the package, as we cannot ship outside of North America. Please also include your e-mail address in case we need to contact you. You can send in your disc for exchange anytime, but we won’t be sending out the Blu-ray discs until their release dates.

You can pay the $20 plus tax (New York State only) and $5 shipping and handling by a check or money order made payable to the Criterion Collection. You can also pay by PayPal by making a payment to [email protected] (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover welcome). If your shipping address is in New York State, the total is $26.50 for the upgrade of one DVD. If your shipping address is in any other state or in Canada, the total is $25.

We’ll mail the Blu-ray disc in a sleeve, and you'll be able to place the new disc in your existing packaging. This doesn't give you the new Blu-ray packaging, but it does give you an option if you want the Blu-ray version but don't want to buy the entire set again. This offer only applies to "like" editions. For example, you can return disc 1 of the rerelease of The Third Man but not the earlier, out-of-print edition.

If you have any questions about the Blu-ray upgrade offer please e-mail Jon Mulvaney at [email protected]. We reserve the right to change or discontinue this program at any time.

What is the Blu-ray packaging going to look like?

Our Blu-ray packaging will be similar to our DVD packaging, only in the smaller Blu-ray size. As with DVDs, we'll use a range of paper and plastic packaging, and we'll bring the same care and attention to the design. Where we're upgrading an existing release, the design will match right down to the disc labels, so if you want to take advantage of the $20 Blu-ray upgrade program, your replacement disc will fit right into the design of your existing Criterion DVD edition. In the store, if you want to be sure you're buying the Blu-ray edition and not the standard-def DVD version, you'll know it by the smaller size and the blue Blu-ray sticker on the front.

Will Criterion's Blu-ray discs have spine numbers?

Spine numbers on our Blu-ray discs will match the existing DVD editions. Our Blu-ray releases represent a significant upgrade when it comes to audiovisual quality, and many of our customers will want to take advantage of that, but we're not starting over at number 1, and we're not expecting our longstanding DVD collectors to do so either. Where content is concerned, we aren't planning on publishing anything on our Blu-ray editions that won't also be available on DVD. Whether you collect only DVDs or only Blu-ray discs or a mix, it's all part of your Criterion collection—and they'll all line up in spine-number order.

What will Criterion Blu-ray discs cost?

Criterion's Blu-ray editions will generally be priced to match our DVDs. It makes sense to us: High-definition mastering and restoration has been a part of our DVD production standard for years. And for our customers who might be on the fence about whether to buy DVD or Blu-ray, we thought the best thing we could do was take price out of the equation.

Pretty lame how their idea of an upgrade program is paying $25 and recieving the disc only. Wouldn't you just be better off just selling the DVD and putting that money towards the Blu-Ray that way you get the Blu-Ray packaging too?

Yeah, at first when I read that I thought they were saying they'd give you $20 credit toward the BD when you send the DVD which would have been sweet, but this way is retarded, especially when you don't even get the full BD packaging and all. Also that comment that BDs will "generally" be priced to match the DVDs has me a little worried. Originally they said flatly that BD = DVD in price.

[quote name='graf1k']Yeah, at first when I read that I thought they were saying they'd give you $20 credit toward the BD when you send the DVD which would have been sweet, but this way is retarded, especially when you don't even get the full BD packaging and all. Also that comment that BDs will "generally" be priced to match the DVDs has me a little worried. Originally they said flatly that BD = DVD in price.[/QUOTE]

They all are the same price as the DVDs on Criterion's site ($31.96)

[quote name='bmachine']Dark City just came out on BD, didn't it? Has anyone picked it up yet?[/QUOTE]

It came out almost a month ago.

I bought it from Amazon for $17 a week or so ago. Pretty good upgrade and it has a ton of extras, both the Director's/Theatrical cut and a digital copy.

[quote name='Sporadic']It came out almost a month ago.

I bought it from Amazon for $17 a week or so ago. Pretty good upgrade and it has a ton of extras, both the Director's/Theatrical cut and a digital copy.[/quote]

Huh...I thought it was mid-August, for some reason.

Regardless, thanks for the impressions. Definitely need to pick that one up!

[quote name='bmachine']Dark City just came out on BD, didn't it? Has anyone picked it up yet?[/QUOTE]
It's DNRd pretty good. So there's not really a lot of detail, the audio is ok. Extras are good, $17 is the right price.

BTW- Tower.com has Beowulf for $24 and Transformers for $23. Free shipping over $25 and some people are getting Transformers already(my entire order shipped earlier in the week, should be here by Mon.)

[quote name='VipFREAK']And... how do you do that?[/QUOTE]

magic :whistle2:$

I have a LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD drive in my computer. With the use of a few programs, I was able to take screenshots and export them in full 1080p. Took forever to figure it out but it's actually a fairly simple process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back