blur - Gen. Discussion & Info

All I can say is choose the right car for the right track. It's all about getting out of that middle clusterfuck in the beginning of the first lap and just race a good line, most people just drive like shit especially in the middle of the pack. Once you get in 1st focus on getting as many barriers as possible to stop the onslaught of lightning and shunts that will be coming, after that just don't drive bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also on la docks there is a specific line you want to race that will make you pretty much unstoppable, I can show it to you sometime.

[quote name='HydroX']I haven't played a game in a long time that can piss me off to no end like this one can. So many times I should've been in position to win and all it takes is one shot (or more times than not I just get a constant barrage of shit) to completely push you to the back of the pack. Yet, when I hit people with a barge or 3-bolter it doesn't seem to effect them as much. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm using a Front Runner/Splash Damage/ECM Mod loadout.

Oh, and there's not one time where I've finished top 7 at LA Docks. Out of 179(ish) total races, I have 6 victories. 37 top 3 finishes.[/QUOTE]

I would suggest Shielding Efficiency over the Splash Damage mod. It doubles the amount of time your shield lasts and having the ability to take two shock bolts instead of one is a life saver.

Once you get in the top three, just pick up defensive powerups such as shields, mines, shunts, and barges so that the people behind you can't screw up your race instead of focusing on the two in front of you. ALWAYS try and have at least one shield with you at all times.

Never drift, you slow down too much with no benefit. Make sure you pick the best car for each track. At the beginning of the race try and stay to the far left or right of the road so people who are just firing powerups into the cluster of cars driving in the center don't hit you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, when there's a split in the road, don't stay in the middle and hit the wall. I know this one from experience just a bit too often.

I have to say, team race is fun as long as your teammates know what they're doing. Not so fun when you're in a pack of three teammates leading the race and the numbskulls crash into you trying to get into first :p

Single player is frustrating...every time I manage to break away from the pack I get reamed by 4 - 5 shunts in a row and never manage to finish above 10th place in the more advanced races.

[quote name='life.exe']I would suggest Shielding Efficiency over the Splash Damage mod. It doubles the amount of time your shield lasts and having the ability to take two shock bolts instead of one is a life saver.

Once you get in the top three, just pick up defensive powerups such as shields, mines, shunts, and barges so that the people behind you can't screw up your race instead of focusing on the two in front of you. ALWAYS try and have at least one shield with you at all times.

Never drift, you slow down too much with no benefit. Make sure you pick the best car for each track. At the beginning of the race try and stay to the far left or right of the road so people who are just firing powerups into the cluster of cars driving in the center don't hit you.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I usually try to play it defensive (especially at the front) and hanging onto shunts/barges/bolts to detour incoming barrages of shunts, but the amount of shit flying at you is hard to keep up with if you're not provided the right power up. Shielding efficiency would be my choice but I rarely have a shield power up at the front of the pack (not by choice).

I think my main problem is choosing those drifty cars (I can't help it, I love the GTO aka Monaro VXR) and the fact that I can rarely get the drifting in this game to work properly doesn't help my situation. That and being stuck in the middle of the pack at times ends up keeping me stuck in the middle with everyone slamming into me .. even teammates during team racing.

I meant to say that the Shielding Efficiency mod is a must have no matter what, staying in front without it is near impossible.

[quote name='Mikocouch']I meant to say that the Shielding Efficiency mod is a must have no matter what, staying in front without it is near impossible.[/QUOTE]

Noted!

[quote name='animalspinners']fuck, this game didn't even make the top 20 for the May NPD :cry:

Judging by this article, it only sold a *combined* 31,000 units in May... that is just, wow.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-fi-ct-games-20100702,0,3292949.story

We can all kiss a Blur 2 goodbye, I think.[/QUOTE]

Forget the Top 20. Neither it nor "Split/Second" made the Top 30!

I figured with the $20 manufacturer's coupon just a couple of weeks after its release that BLUR "underperformed" in initial sales. But I guess I'm surprised it seems to have bombed altogether. I'm sure there are many reasons why but releasing it amongst a glut of other, higher profile titles like Red Dead, Alan Wake, etc. couldn't help.

What's more disconcerting is even with all the sales, there are only a few hundred folks online racing at any given time on Live. And some of the modes only have a couple of dozen people in them, if that :(

Changed things up and ran Front Runner/Shielding Efficiency/ECM and worked like a charm won 2 races, yet finished near the back of the pack in a number of others. It's something that will help me stay in the top 5 at least, so thank you for those of you who gave some helpful hints.

Probably going to have internet in Early August or so, and from what I've seen, it seems like nobody will be playing by then. :/

The game really sold THAT horribly?

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Probably going to have internet in Early August or so, and from what I've seen, it seems like nobody will be playing by then. :/

The game really sold THAT horribly?[/QUOTE]

Racing games generally have a long life. There are still people playing NFS: Carbon.

[quote name='Mikocouch']Full rooms of 20 everytime i'm playing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I rarely have issues getting into a decent sized room.

I will agree though that this game ethier has the potential to give you great joy when you manage to squeek out a win, or just sheer frustration when you get 20 shocks dumping you into last place one turn before the finish line. :bomb:

I place in the top 3 over half the time, and if I dont manage to make a podium finish, its almost always my fault; though nothing you can do about 20 shocks in your way and only one shield. Sometimes the game puts a shock in the worst place, where everyone picks it up. At that point your screwed anyways.

Like a lot of people, I run the shield effeciency mod, front runner, and vampire wreck. As for the cars, I also choose what ever is the most grippy.

Astra Extreme, Megane, Skyline, etc...

[quote name='LastDitch']Yeah I rarely have issues getting into a decent sized room.

I will agree though that this game ethier has the potential to give you great joy when you manage to squeek out a win, or just sheer frustration when you get 20 shocks dumping you into last place one turn before the finish line. :bomb:

I place in the top 3 over half the time, and if I dont manage to make a podium finish, its almost always my fault; though nothing you can do about 20 shocks in your way and only one shield. Sometimes the game puts a shock in the worst place, where everyone picks it up. At that point your screwed anyways.

Like a lot of people, I run the shield effeciency mod, front runner, and vampire wreck. As for the cars, I also choose what ever is the most grippy.

Astra Extreme, Megane, Skyline, etc...[/QUOTE]

I would suggest choosing something other than the vampire mod.

I've kind of stopped playing lately. I really love the game but I feel like it's just another mmo treadmill now. I have won I think about 160 races and it's just the same thing over and over, I really couldn't imagine going for 10x legendary. Really fun game but I just don't know if it has much more depth to it than what I've already got out of it.

I was out of town all weekend, but managed to play for about an hour or so. I'm going to try to play some more this week. I'm sure that I am way behind everyone in rank now.

I played the multiplayer for the first time last week. It's very fun but the regular racing gets stale after awhile. Thankfully, the mods and power-ups keep it fresh for the most part. Last night around 9pm there were 450 people playing on :ps3:.

[quote name='life.exe']I would suggest choosing something other than the vampire mod.[/QUOTE]

Yeah only using it now cause I am lvl 40 after I already went through one legend level.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I played the multiplayer for the first time last week. It's very fun but the regular racing gets stale after awhile. Thankfully, the mods and power-ups keep it fresh for the most part. Last night around 9pm there were 450 people playing on :ps3:.[/QUOTE]

There are typically 800-1100 people playing BLUR, total, on the 360 most of the day. That's probably enough to make it an active community but honestly I've burned myself out on the game. It's addictive for a while but for me I reached a point where I also found it stale. Plus the total arbitrary nature of the design, how you can go from 1st to 12th in a matter of seconds, with no real way of defending yourself from a barrage of EVERYONE in back of you, does become frustrating. Though the power-ups are what makes this game unique, I think ultimately it would have been fairer had the balance been just a little bit tilted towards the racing element as opposed to the randomness of the outcomes because of the power-ups.

[quote name='dastly75']The game is still a lot of fun to play every once in a while. It's a good change up if you mostly play one sort of game.[/QUOTE]

This. Put it in for a few hours last night after not playing a week or two and had a blast. Probably helped that the randoms were talking as well so we all we're "shooting the shit" so to speak.

Considering the one guy called them rabbit turds (the mastermine mod) I guess it makes that more true. :razz:

[quote name='$hady']LATE to the dance rented it last night. Fun as hell online even though I suck. Any deals besides Amazon $48?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately you missed the $20 manufacturer's coupon from Activision. Combined with sales of the game for $40 at KMart and BB last month (and YMMV on stacking a $10 BB coupon as well) most people on CAG got this for $10-$20 last month.

You'll probably see it for $40 regular price by the end of August.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']there are only a few hundred folks online racing at any given time on Live. And some of the modes only have a couple of dozen people in them, if that :([/QUOTE]

I play this game for a few hours every day.
At any given time on PS3, I see crowds of 400-500 people online.
Weekend nights Im seeing about 800 to 1000 players online.

Some modes such as motor mashup and the tour don't get many users.

Na every night the past week there has been around 1000 on XBL. Even middle of the night on a weekday there is 400ish everytime I get on with usually full 20 car battles. INSANELY addicting I still wish I had gotten on board earlier! lol

Paid about $30 after BCB/Ebay bucks for a sealed copy last week, it arrived yesterday. Nice change of pace from NCAA. :)

This game is a guilty pleasure of mine. I've trashed racing games of this gen like nobody's business, but blur is one of the only ones to have "got it right".

I'll definitely have to find time this weekend to get on and finish 2nd in all those races. Haha. Seriously, I can lead a race until the end of time, but when we're in the final stretch, someone always comes out of virtually nowhere to win. Lol.

Damn I finally stopped playing this after hitting legend 10 a couple weeks ago, pretty cool they are having a dbl XP weekend. To bad there is no DLC incoming, just nothing really left to do in the game.
I actually made a 30 day trial to make a new name to race a lot of the good players that wouldn't race me anymore and just leave my lobby, but that didn't last to long. :lol:

I don't know why this would be a "guilty pleasure'. It's one of the best racing games to come along in a while IMHO. Having said that, I haven't really played it *that* much. I really like it, but keep getting distracted. I have plenty left in the single player to do and need to get back to it.

[quote name='crunchewy']I don't know why this would be a "guilty pleasure'. It's one of the best racing games to come along in a while IMHO. Having said that, I haven't really played it *that* much. I really like it, but keep getting distracted. I have plenty left in the single player to do and need to get back to it.[/QUOTE]

It's a guilty pleasure for me because I normally hate racing games.

[quote name='Lokki']I need to get back into this. I got caught up in other stuff and let Blur slide.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Every time I look at this on my shelf I want to play it but for some reason always pass it up. Maybe I can jump back into this weekend.

Linkin thanks for the heads up. I'll finally have to cut the shrink-wrap off and pop this sucker in my system (got it during the $10 BB deal).

We should definitely try to set up a CAG night or some kind of CAG race session if we're going to be playing this anyway.

I'm available Saturday night from 5pm til like 10pm Central.

I might be in for that. Dunno how Sunday looks, but provided I don't go out Saturday, I'll probably be available from 4pm EST until whenever (with a break in there for dinner).

I work this weekend but would like to come back to blur this weekend for a bit for the double exp. I'll be around midnight and later EST if you guys are still playing.

This game is well worth $30 or so. I wish I still had it. I don't know why I keep trading it away (I actually do, it gets lost in my backlog shuffle)

I bought this for $9.99 on release thanks to BB's coupons and management not caring about stacking coupons. I loved the game. I wanted to play more, but I couldn't convince friends to go out and buy it. I need to get people on it again. What a fun game.

My only wish was that they put in a better variety of powerups. Definately worth more than the $10 I paid though.

I've been into Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit lately, but I still have Blur looking back at my on my shelf. The competition online started to get pretty lopsided but it was still a lot of fun.

I wonder how many people are still playing? I wonder if the online will be affected by the closing of Bizzare.

[quote name='ZForce915']I've been into Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit lately, but I still have Blur looking back at my on my shelf. The competition online started to get pretty lopsided but it was still a lot of fun.

I wonder how many people are still playing? I wonder if the online will be affected by the closing of Bizzare.[/QUOTE]

Bizarre closed? That sucks. I hope it doesn't effect the online as the game shined with it's online play.

How was the competition getting lopsided?

[quote name='HydroX']Bizarre closed? That sucks. I hope it doesn't effect the online as the game shined with it's online play.

How was the competition getting lopsided?[/QUOTE]

yup they closed. and it sucks because i remember they announced that they were working on blur 2. online is a very small community now (though i am only lvl 7 or 8 so i dont have access to all the modes yet) useually roughly 100-200 people in the most populated mode. in the lvl.10 and under lobby it is usually 15-30 people lol. but i dont have problems getting into matches. the thing i like about this game is even if you dont win/ do good, it is still alot of fun.

Does Blur get better as it progresses, or does the difficulty just get more and more frustrating? I am 1/3 through and unsure if there's anything more the game can offer. It's a good game but the make/model of car is a joke. An Audi R8 will lose to a Ford 100 pickup and some of the challenges are pretty annoying. If there's an upswing I can see it be worth keeping, but if not I'm ditching it.

bread's done
Back