blur - Gen. Discussion & Info

As X stated a page back...no matter what time I'm playing, I never have an issue finding a match with 10+ players. I have noticed that some of the other less popular gametypes do suffer from lack of players, but I'd say about 80% of people if not more play "Powered Up Racing" which is the gametype open to 20 players.

[quote name='animalspinners']For anyone who is interested, the K-Mart rep says he will announce a deal on Blur tomorrow... my bet is $40 next week. I'll probably end up picking it up, already up to level 10 in the beta since I started playing yesterday, game is a blast.

[/QUOTE]

I also loved the mp beta. I am just waiting for this game to price drop because I know it isn't exactly selling well, so I'm figuring I'll pick it up at $30ish or $40ish and keep it as my summer game along with Deathsmiles.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I also loved the mp beta. I am just waiting for this game to price drop because I know it isn't exactly selling well, so I'm figuring I'll pick it up at $30ish or $40ish and keep it as my summer game along with Deathsmiles.[/QUOTE]

The rep just confirmed it'll be $39.99 at K-Mart starting 6/6 and going through to 6/12.

[quote name='animalspinners']The rep just confirmed it'll be $39.99 at K-Mart starting 6/6 and going through to 6/12.[/QUOTE]

Yeap saw that. Gonna pick it up!

my brother tells me this and another racer for 360 are amazing (don't remember the other game's name) but for 40$ I might have to grab it.

Yup. I love using it around lots of people.

I forget the name of the mode right now, but the demolition derby type game is pretty awesome! Also digging team races.

Motor Mash! I haven't played much of that 'cause I didn't really like it that much in the beta. Team races are definitely fun though. I'm glad they have friendly fire turned off.

Is there a Geometry Wars arcade cabinet hidden anywhere? :D

That's the name. Yeah, I didn't care much for it at first, but now I'm really starting to enjoy it.

-------------------

I'm hoping they release some DLC, hopefully new tracks, or variations to existing tracks and of course new vehicles, maybe new level cap.

It's just baffling how this game isn't as popular as it should be, I thought it would have at least sold as well as PGR, but I guess with weapons in the mix it turned the sim racing crowd off.

There's also the fact it came out right around when Split/Second did as well, so that could be stealing away some of it's sales.

[quote name='JStryke']There's also the fact it came out right around when Split/Second did as well, so that could be stealing away some of it's sales.[/QUOTE]

I think there is the fact it came out around RDR, Alan Wake, Prince of Persia, UFC 2010, and who knows what else.

I would also take into account the limited beta that disappeared a few weeks before launch, so when we got close to launch there was no way of trying it anymore.

I think Activision would have done far better throwing it in June or July with a ton of hype around it, but releasing so soon after RDR and that onslaught of games didn't help.

I think the reason for the lack of selling is a combination of things as others stated: RDR, Alan Wake, POP, UFC and of course Splitt Second competition.

However, the other big factors would be Blur is still a new name much like Splitt Second, if it barred the name Project Gotham Combat or something similar it would have sold more - but MS owns the PGR name. Also it came out at $60 - While $60 might be the norm for most next gen games It's still a tough pill to swallow for most. It might have done even better at a lower price point - I know I bought my copy at $40.

Anyways I am throughly enjoying the game despite not being very good at it. Looking at the achievements everything will take some time. I should also remind you once someone goes into Legendary/prestiges you won't get credit for beating them at level 50 - they have to be exactly 50/re-level to 50 after prestiging for you to get the achievement. You also only have to be ahead of the level 50, you do not need to take first if they are behind you in place.

I downloaded the beta and played ti last night. It's awesome. I'm not big into racing games, but I like this.

Hopefully the price will continue to drop. Too much stuff to play right now, and I can't afford another game, anyway. Plus I just got ModNation Racers.

[quote name='Monsta Mack'].Anyways I am throughly enjoying the game despite not being very good at it. Looking at the achievements everything will take some time. I should also remind you once someone goes into Legendary/prestiges you won't get credit for beating them at level 50 - they have to be exactly 50/re-level to 50 after prestiging for you to get the achievement. You also only have to be ahead of the level 50, you do not need to take first if they are behind you in place.[/QUOTE]

Oh, you actually can prestige in it after you hit 50? Thank god.

Are there still people playing the full thing online? I finally tried out the demo this weekend and I'm hooked on it now. I'll probably pick up the whole thing this week sometime. I just hope that the online community doesn't die out. The demo seems to have hundreds of people playing it.

[quote name='Lokki']Are there still people playing the full thing online? I finally tried out the demo this weekend and I'm hooked on it now. I'll probably pick up the whole thing this week sometime. I just hope that the online community doesn't die out. The demo seems to have hundreds of people playing it.[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of people playing it. I normally play in the morning and there are around 2500-4000 on during that time. Probably more at night.

[quote name='life.exe']There are plenty of people playing it. I normally play in the morning and there are around 2500-4000 on during that time. Probably more at night.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks. I was a little worried after earlier posts in this thread indicated that it wasn't selling well.

Man, the MP sure is tough and part bullshit, part luck half the time. Anyone have any tips on doing well in the races? Also, I see that there are car upgrades (some fans thing, extra health bar, and an engine upgrade) for each car - how do you get all of them? I've gotten the first extra health bar, but I'm curious about the others.

The more you progress in levels the more mods you unlock. At first it's almost guaranteed that you will suck. As you unlock better cars and better mods you should most definitely see yourself doing a lot better.

[quote name='Chroma914']Man, the MP sure is tough and part bullshit, part luck half the time. Anyone have any tips on doing well in the races? Also, I see that there are car upgrades (some fans thing, extra health bar, and an engine upgrade) for each car - how do you get all of them? I've gotten the first extra health bar, but I'm curious about the others.[/QUOTE]

The car specific upgrades are unlocked by finishing races with that specific car. Fan Upgrade = 10 races, Extra Health = 25 races, and Speed Upgrade = 50 races.

My advice for anyone struggling is to pick up defensive weapons. Think less about trying to hit everyone with powerups and try and take good racing lines. the majority of people in this game are absolutely horrible racers (slamming into wall around every corner, cant drive in a straight line, etc.).

Ok, I got blur during the B2G1 at Gamestop. I'm ready to race. Feel free to add me if you want have some friendly CAG races.

Picking this up ASAP. Played the living hell out of the beta, friend grabbed a copy and we've been playing it for a while. It's slightly starting to get to that point where the interest/excitement starts to wear off, but it should be a good time-killer.

Now to get the 250 bucks to pay Verizon so they'll install internet at my damn house....

[quote name='AlphaPanda']

Now to get the 250 bucks to pay Verizon so they'll install internet at my damn house....[/QUOTE]

Going to pick this up sometime during the BB sale. But real reason I'm responding? To wish AlphaPanda luck. I just moved to my current house a month back and it took us about 3 weeks for Verizon to send us a technician. So if you start beginning to think at some point that they're incompetent fools, don't say I didn't warn you. ;)

[quote name='JStryke']So if you start beginning to think at some point that they're incompetent fools, don't say I didn't warn you. ;)[/QUOTE]

We've been fighting with them for the past 6 months to get them to come out here and just install the damn stuff so we can get it over with. Trust me, I'm WAY past that. They just have the best service once you actually get it going, but we're stuck in a rut when it comes to actually GETTING them to get going.

To keep it on-topic, which do you guys prefer? Standard power-up placement, or random? I'm a random fan myself. I like how it spices the races up.

I need tips/advice.

The first two areas were pretty easy, but the third area (fan favorites) is giving me a ton of trouble.

I can't even finish the first race (I usually come in about 12th place). If I use a grippy car, I don't have the speed to catch up. If I use a fast car, I have trouble drifting (I've tried using L, I've tried using B, and I've tried a combo of both, still can get a grip on drifting).

Really appreciate some help on what to do...

[quote name='seanr1221']I need tips/advice.

The first two areas were pretty easy, but the third area (fan favorites) is giving me a ton of trouble.

I can't even finish the first race (I usually come in about 12th place). If I use a grippy car, I don't have the speed to catch up. If I use a fast car, I have trouble drifting (I've tried using L, I've tried using B, and I've tried a combo of both, still can get a grip on drifting).

Really appreciate some help on what to do...[/QUOTE]

Change the difficulty to easy. Pick up lots of nitros and shields. You don't always have to drift. You can just brake and take the turn, or do what everyone does online and just ride the wall. If you have a nitro, hold down and fire it right before you hit the wall on a turn to do an airbrake. This allows you to turn on a dime. As soon as the effects of the airbrake are over, you'll get all your speed back plus a boost from the nitro.

[quote name='shosh']so whats the consensus here? better than mario kart?[/QUOTE]

Most definitely. It's Mario Kart for Adults. The power ups are very similar in what they do, but it is a lot more fast paced and not cartoony. I'm totally addicted to the game.

[quote name='seanr1221']I need tips/advice.

Really appreciate some help on what to do...[/QUOTE]

You NEVER want to drift unless you are in first already and trying to get fans. Drifting has no benefit other than for fans.

[quote name='Lokki']Most definitely. It's Mario Kart for Adults. The power ups are very similar in what they do, but it is a lot more fast paced and not cartoony. I'm totally addicted to the game.[/QUOTE]
meh, i don't care about something for adults. how adult can you be really when its a video game. don't mind the cartoony feel of MK as long as its fun and MK is fucking fun. if this is better only because its "adult" then meh.

I think he means that blur is more professional than Mario Kart - aka more adult, more mature.

It's the same concept for both games - use powerups to help you make your way to the front of the pack. Instead of green shells, you fire disrupting arrows. Instead of red shells, you fire homing orbs at cars ahead of you. Instead of bananas or upside-down question marks, you lay mines. Instead of blue shells, you fire EMP fields at the guy in first place. Instead of go-karts, you race in a Dodge Viper or a Koenigsegg. I think you get the picture..

Try the demo that's out on the Marketplace instead of basing your decision off our word.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I think he means that blur is more professional than Mario Kart - aka more adult, more mature.

It's the same concept for both games - use powerups to help you make your way to the front of the pack. Instead of green shells, you fire disrupting arrows. Instead of red shells, you fire homing orbs at cars ahead of you. Instead of bananas or upside-down question marks, you lay mines. Instead of blue shells, you fire EMP fields at the guy in first place. Instead of go-karts, you race in a Dodge Viper or a Koenigsegg. I think you get the picture..

Try the demo that's out on the Marketplace instead of basing your decision off our word.[/QUOTE]
yea i guess its more mature in that regard. i just kinda dislike people calling other games kiddy or the wii kiddy. all i care about is having a blast with a game. i thought that blur commercial was weak.

[quote name='dastly75']So is there a CAG gamertag for this game? Any CAGs gonna be playing tonight?[/QUOTE]

If you want you can join up with me and my friends tonight when we play.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']If you want you can join up with me and my friends tonight when we play.[/QUOTE]

I'll have some friends on too, maybe we can get a party going close to the max player limit.

[quote name='dastly75']I'll have some friends on too, maybe we can get a party going close to the max player limit.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good, I'm not sure when everyone will be on but I'll have four people for sure. I might be able to get a few more too.

I was playing with Apathy and another friend tonight and the game froze on us twice. I've never had this game freeze on me but apparently it is a problem now, it's crazy that I've probably put 10-12 hours into the game and never had it freeze but tonight its done it twice. Has anyone else experienced any problems with the game freezing.

I don't know if you could call it freezing persay, but once tonight I did notice something odd and I had to leave the multiplayer lobby in order to fix it.

[quote name='JStryke']I don't know if you could call it freezing persay, but once tonight I did notice something odd and I had to leave the multiplayer lobby in order to fix it.[/QUOTE]

I should have been more specific. We were getting HARD freezes in the lobby and the loading screen before the race that required turning the 360 off and turning it back on. I've done some research and haven't really found anyone complaining about it so I'm not sure what happened but it happened to everyone in our party.

I was playing for a bit last night, but I didn't check here first. I'm game to play anytime that I'm on.

I sent friend requests to PureApathy, FrankySox, and Dastly so I can join in on some CAG racing fun.

The only wierd issue that I've had with it so far is I had no audio during a couple of races. It would play the little audio clip when it showed the top 3 at the end, but nothing else. I restarted my 360 and it was fine then.

Edit - If I'm on and playing Zuma, then it's my wife and not me.

[quote name='FrankySox']I should have been more specific. We were getting HARD freezes in the lobby and the loading screen before the race that required turning the 360 off and turning it back on. I've done some research and haven't really found anyone complaining about it so I'm not sure what happened but it happened to everyone in our party.[/QUOTE]

I'm at around 200 races in MP and I haven't had any issues.

We definitely need a CAG clan for this game. Although drifting is pretty much useless, it's plenty o' fun @ $20. Add me if you wanna race, yo!

Edit -- Loki, I feel your pain. I play most of the time, but my wife likes dressing the avatar and watching Netflix.

[quote name='budz']

Edit -- Loki, I feel your pain. I play most of the time, but my wife likes dressing the avatar and watching Netflix.[/QUOTE]

Yup, my kids take it over for the Netflix too. They have complete seasons for a lot of their favorite shows.

I'll send you a request as well. I'd love to race with some CAGs.

bread's done
Back