Borderlands 2: Game of the Year Edition (PlayStation 3) $9.99 @ Target

Agree completely that this was well worth the $100 I spent at launch for the base game + DLC.  Having spent hundreds of hours with multiple characters, it's a no-brainer.  Easily one of the best games of all time.  Great community too.  Hell, I can nearly recite the entire game's script line for line now.  :)

Agree completely that this was well worth the $100 I spent at launch for the base game + DLC. Having spent hundreds of hours with multiple characters, it's a no-brainer. Easily one of the best games of all time. Great community too. Hell, I can nearly recite the entire game's script line for line now. :)
Yeah, the script in this game has to be hands down one of the best ones I have ever played in a game. I can't wait to play the Torgue and Tiny Tina DLC's because I heard they were both really awesome (And I love Tina Tina's voice actor)

It's not like this is old or some small title so it's kind of weird that it doesn't seem to be carried in store by anyone but Gamestop.

The only two stores who ever carried it have been walmart and gamestop. Target only ever stocked the Xbox 360 version and best buy, well they only carry the vanilla copy.

A coworker got BB to match this.  They had to order it and he won't get it for another week but he already has the standard version.

Wow, I wish I had saw this sooner..

I will be going to Target and possibly Walmart/BB later to try and test my luck irl.

My mission report will be posted later.

I actually saw a couple at the Holyoke MA Target today, but they were stickered $20.99 and rang up that way too.  I own the game and DLC for 360 so didnt wanna argue any kind of price match.  YMMV of course

Was able to price match at Walmart.  Picked up a copy for myself and one for my brother.  Thanks OP!

Reporting failure at my Target and Walmart...

Target did not have the goty edition and Walmart refused to price match because it was an online ad.

I hope a friend of mines catches on and gets me a copy for Christmas, lol.

Got Walmart to price match, might flip to GameStop its 26.60 credit, if u trades towards say origins or black flag will get extra 30% brings up to 34 and change... I wonder if I can use birthday coupon as well..... hmmmmm....

Last edited by a moderator:
how did you get a price match from walmart if they won't match online prices?
Honestly I don't know, the lady didn't believe me that the price was 9.99 and since it was marked at msrp, she called target because it wasn't in the printed ad, the rep told her that they had none in stock but when she checked the price it was 9.99. I assumed the target rep looked on their online site, either way I was prepared to walk out if they didn't do the PM cuz the walmart lady repeated that they don't honor online prices. Guess I just lucked out. I went to play N trade and gamestop to see how much I could get and both were at 26+ Credit and 18 cash for borderlands 2 GOTY

Try your luck here is bday coupon to help on your flips....[attachment=1390:image.jpg]

Got Walmart to price match, might flip to GameStop its 26.60 credit, if u trades towards say origins or black flag will get extra 30% brings up to 34 and change... I wonder if I can use birthday coupon as well..... hmmmmm....
r u sure thats the value? my gamestop was 16.00 trade and 12 something cash. also ive never seen a gs tiv that didnt end in .00 or .50 without a promo or bonus

The lady at gs in abilene, tx told me that, she did a double take as well. I did use my PUR I dunno if that kicked in anything, but she did say 26.60, I'm gonna do the trade in tomorrow and try to come away with black flag, I'll keep u guys posted and post my receipt tomorrow

If anyone picks up an extra copy I will gladly take it off your hands. Turns out non of the best buys or targets within 20 miles of where I live are carrying it.

sucks my walmart will only price match with an ad even though i told the ladies that target didnt lower the price for an ad but as a storewide drop.  

If anyone would be willing to ship me one for cost plus a little something for your trouble I'd appreciate it. I just picked up a ps3 this week and I'm looking to build my library.

I rocked the hell out of BL2 on 360 but this will be a great reason to run through it again with my non Xbox friends.

If anyone would be willing to ship me one for cost plus a little something for your trouble I'd appreciate it. I just picked up a ps3 this week and I'm looking to build my library.

I rocked the hell out of BL2 on 360 but this will be a great reason to run through it again with my non Xbox friends.
Guess you missed that no one has gotten in on this deal because it's been sold out online foreheheheheh *smacks self* ver.

Surprised its still on the front page, deal is basically dead. Like a handful of people got it from Best Buy, and even less from other places

For $10 it is not a bad deal. But I liked the first one better, it was more of a single player experience. 

Second one seems to encourage MP a lot more, which is cool if that's what you want. I personally like single player games more.

Was able to price match at Walmart. Picked up a copy for myself and one for my brother. Thanks OP!
Could you share how you pulled that off please?

I know this is common knowledge that's been posted and reposted ad infinitium, but any employee at Wal-Mart caught PMing any website for anything (including Wal-Mart.com) is supposed to be fired on the spot, no questions asked. Same is supposed to go for any store manager who is allowing PM from websites to take place. Yet I do on occassion here stories like this, and I am curious how you are pulling it off. Are employees just that blatantly ignorant about their own jobs? I mean do none of them even bother trying to figure out this stuff out? Or do they just care so little about their shitty jobs that they don't give a fuck? I'm inclined to believe the latter and, if that is the case, can hardly blame them.

I never try to PM at Wal-Mart just because I would feel really guilty is someone lost their sla.... I mean job because of me. But if they would PM stuff like this very deal it would make my life so much easier. AFAIK neither Target nor Best Buy even carry the GOTY version in store, and neither one within a 50 mile radius has it.

For $10 it is not a bad deal. But I liked the first one better, it was more of a single player experience.

Second one seems to encourage MP a lot more, which is cool if that's what you want. I personally like single player games more.
Uh, what? I haven't touched the DLC on the 2nd game, but I did everything on the first game and AFAIK that is utter nonsense. Both games can basically be played however you want, but the 1st game was worse at scaling, especially in the DLC (Moxxi's Underdome is practically unplaybable in single-player, and Fort Knoxx/Claptrap's Revolution felt very grindey). I've found the 2nd game to be more single-player friendly than the 1st one was, not by leaps or bounds but by a noticeable amount.

Besides, playing the first game online today with strangers almost always results in a glitched save file. I know it's a fairly simple fix with WillowTree, but doing that EVERY time is so annoying.

Last edited:
Could you share how you pulled that off please?

I know this is common knowledge that's been posted and reposted ad infinitium, but any employee at Wal-Mart caught PMing any website for anything (including Wal-Mart.com) is supposed to be fired on the spot, no questions asked. Same is supposed to go for any store manager who is allowing PM from websites to take place. Yet I do on occassion here stories like this, and I am curious how you are pulling it off. Are employees just that blatantly ignorant about their own jobs? I mean do none of them even bother trying to figure out this stuff out? Or do they just care so little about their shitty jobs that they don't give a fuck? I'm inclined to believe the latter and, if that is the case, can hardly blame them.

I never try to PM at Wal-Mart just because I would feel really guilty is someone lost their sla.... I mean job because of me. But if they would PM stuff like this very deal it would make my life so much easier. AFAIK neither Target nor Best Buy even carry the GOTY version in store, and neither one within a 50 mile radius has it.

Uh, what? I haven't touched the DLC on the 2nd game, but I did everything on the first game and AFAIK that is utter nonsense. Both games can basically be played however you want, but the 1st game was worse at scaling, especially in the DLC (Moxxi's Underdome is practically unplaybable in single-player, and Fort Knoxx/Claptrap's Revolution felt very grindey). I've found the 2nd game to be more single-player friendly than the 1st one was, not by leaps or bounds but by a noticeable amount.

Besides, playing the first game online today with strangers almost always results in a glitched save file. I know it's a fairly simple fix with WillowTree, but doing that EVERY time is so annoying.
No problem. I went to the electronics section and asked the girl at the counter if she could get a game for me. Walked with her to the glass case and had her pick up two copies of BL2:GOTY and on the way back to the register I asked if they price matched target.com prices. She said she'd have to check but went ahead rang up the games. They came up $59.96 each and then she asked how much target had them for. I pulled up the link from target.com on my phone and they showed $9.99, clear as day. She was a bit apprehensive so she called her manager and asked if it was okay. He said yes over the phone but she needed his key to complete the order. He came over, looked at my phone, said "that's a heck of a deal you're getting" and had to over-ride both transactions. When they tried to finish the transaction, an error popped up saying something along the lines of "amount of price reduction exceeds original price" and required another manager over ride. All in all, 3 key turns and the staff was really friendly and helpful in pushing things along. When the transaction approved, I wished them a Merry X-Mas, and prepared for DLC heaven in Pandora.

I saw a petition online regarding a Walmart employee being fired over price matching a turkey. I thought about this as I walked out and if either of those employees got fired, I'd feel like a real bag of dicks. I'd say we're navigating some murky water in terms of "exploiting" something we all do here when online deals can be had at brick and mortar stores knowing that there's a possibility someone's livelihood is at jeopardy. On the flip side, price match policies are put in place to get business. Sure, I only walked in and bought the one thing I wanted, but price matching encourages other people to buy more. If big businesses want to latch on to the idea of loss leaders and CAG's wise up to it and only spend what they want, then I have no problem beating the system. Why not be rewarded for doing the research and knowing the trade?

Couldn't agree more with you on that Moxxi DLC. I played through Fort Knoxx, and Zedd with my old lady and we had a blast. I managed to run through Claptrap solo, only having to leave my ps3 on over night during the final battle so i could collect all those random underpants and oil cans. But man oh man was Moxxi frustrating. Even with my level 61 siren and her level 61 merc, we could barely get past the 10th wave of each dome. I like a challenge, but requiring a full squad to get through some of those events, when the online was so buggy just seemed absurd.

None at several Tartgets, Bestbuys, and a no go at the closest Walmart. Even tried BB CS over the phone but they couldn't do it since they show none in stock online or in my area or any area really. It's sold out system wide according to the BB CSR. I even tried getting all the stores to PM the 360 version to no avail. If anyone can get one at Walmart more power to them but so far I've struck out. If anyone would be willing to sell me one for $15 shipped I'd be quite grateful.

My Walmart sucks. They always tell me that anything over $20, I'll need an ad :( Even the manager.

Seems like they still live in the 90s..

My Walmart sucks. They always tell me that anything over $20, I'll need an ad :( Even the manager.

Seems like they still live in the 90s..
That is a WM policy in general, except for the $20 limit. To match any price they need the ad, that's why they don't call it a Price Match, but an Ad Match. The issue is they should not require the customer to bring the ad with them. Is it behind the times compared to Target, BBY, and TRU? Absolutely, but because Wal-Mart is the largest B&M retailer in the world they don't need to push their limits if they don't feel the need. That's the perk of being the top dog, you get to call the shots while everyone else tries to catch up.

http://corporate.walmart.com/ad-match-guarantee

That is a WM policy in general, except for the $20 limit. To match any price they need the ad, that's why they don't call it a Price Match, but an Ad Match. The issue is they should not require the customer to bring the ad with them. Is it behind the times compared to Target, BBY, and TRU? Absolutely, but because Wal-Mart is the largest B&M retailer in the world they don't need to push their limits if they don't feel the need. That's the perk of being the top dog, you get to call the shots while everyone else tries to catch up.

http://corporate.walmart.com/ad-match-guarantee
that is why i rarely step foot into walmart. unless i want to purchase something like food at a discount. for everything outside of food, i have plenty of target s, and bestbuys close to me to price match what i need. Especially with bestbuy now, i do not even need to get dress, and leave my home to get what i need outside of food.

Off hand, does anyone know if there was ever any stock available on-line at Target(dot)com when this price first went live?

Also, for anyone indicating that they are getting any store to price match, would you please provide a scanned copy of the receipt of your transaction.  This way, we may be able to start pushing back on these same stores telling most of us that they won't price match for whatever reason, that some of their stores actually are, so why can't all of them then, once one does.

Can we just lock this thread? It's distracting me from catching a Unicorn.
Lol nobody wants to give up as long as there is a slight chance, but it seems like barely a handful of people managed to get in on it after Best Buy sold out. Insanely super YMMV

Just a recommendation to folks picking up Borderlands 2...  Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep is an absolute MUST if you are going to be playing this game at all.  Finish up the main campaign FIRST... then skip the other DLC's.  They are good, but are all collectively trumped by Tiny Tina's.

Frankly, it's probably the best add-on I've ever played for any game ever.

They actually aren't supposed to require you to bring the ad in at Walmart.  There have been signs at all mine for most of the year saying that.

bread's done
Back