Borderlands - Gen. Discussion & Info - OUT NOW (8.0 GS, 8.8 IGN, 88 Metacritic)

You guys have a point, let me edit my last post:

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']I would recommend weak players join a stronger and somewhat competent party since leveling up seems much faster[/QUOTE]

Wonder if I'll get an invite tonight... :whistle2:\"

Updated the thread with the IGN and GS reviews and Metacritic page - The game seems to be getting great reviews so far (all but 2 are in the 80+ range). Can't wait to get my hands on this game whenever that may be. So many good games out now / coming out in the near future.

How are you guys faring with the online co-op mode? I have tried to join 4 different games tonight. Got disconnects on 3 of them and on the forth one the lag was so huge that there was a 3-4 second delay from hitting the fire button to the time the gun actually fired.

I picked it up today at best buy and played it for a bit. I really like it so far. I'm only lvl 7. I don't know anyone else who owns it so if anyone wants to play please add me on PSN!

So I unlocked my third weapon slot which shows up as d-pad left in the menu, but in-game it's d-pad right. That is like an unprecedented level of QA failure. :lol:

Fun game, though.

[quote name='kube00']meh bought it, after watching the trailer, I think I'll return my copy and wait for a demo[/QUOTE]

Dumbass. ;)

My copy should be coming in this week, definitely looming forward to playing with CAGs. Though I will admit I'm pretty average at FPSers.

[quote name='metaly']So I unlocked my third weapon slot which shows up as d-pad left in the menu, but in-game it's d-pad right. That is like an unprecedented level of QA failure. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Do you have your controls set on Lefty? I read that somewhere. In any case it's worked fine for me.

What they need to do is issue a patch to fix the disabled Siren skills.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Do you have your controls set on Lefty? I read that somewhere. In any case it's worked fine for me.[/QUOTE]

I'm using Resistant or whatever has R1 to shoot. I'll test it out the next time I'm on.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']How are you guys faring with the online co-op mode? I have tried to join 4 different games tonight. Got disconnects on 3 of them and on the forth one the lag was so huge that there was a 3-4 second delay from hitting the fire button to the time the gun actually fired.[/QUOTE]
So far randy and I have racked up close to 20 hours of coop and have only experienced the VOIP issue, and it crashed on him once after ~5 hours the first day, it hasn't since.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']How are you guys faring with the online co-op mode? I have tried to join 4 different games tonight. Got disconnects on 3 of them and on the forth one the lag was so huge that there was a 3-4 second delay from hitting the fire button to the time the gun actually fired.[/QUOTE]

No gameplay/connection issues at all outside of a little bit of lag, one game freeze/crash and the ridiculous VOIP problem. And we've been playing a LOT.

One of the dudes on the Borderlands forum suggested updating the firmware in your router if you're having VOIP or lag issues, especially if you're using a Linksys. I'm using a FIOS router with the most recent firmware, so that's not really an option for me...but it seems to have fixed a few other people's connectivity issues.

The VOIP thing is fucking bullshit. Gearbox doesn't even acknowledge it as a widespread problem in their tech support forum, despite 200+ posts of people complaining about the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bmachine']
The VOIP thing is fucking bullshit. Gearbox doesn't even acknowledge it as a widespread problem in their tech support forum, despite 200+ posts of people complaining about the issue.[/QUOTE]
Maybe the VOIP issue is a limitation of the PS3 firmware... they need to have some conference calls with Team 17 to see how they got around that.:cool:

I died about 10 times trying to kill bonehead yesterday. I am a Level 7 Hunter. I am not pretty much out of cash. Should I grind out another level or two before going back to kill him? I was hoping there wasn't going to be a lot of grinding in this game.

~S

[quote name='snowsquirrel']I died about 10 times trying to kill bonehead yesterday. I am a Level 7 Hunter. I am not pretty much out of cash. Should I grind out another level or two before going back to kill him? I was hoping there wasn't going to be a lot of grinding in this game.

~S[/QUOTE]
just do some of the other quests that are available at this time and you'll level up naturally. i had the same problem, did some more missions, then came back at level 10 and destroyed him

Yep... I'm level 28-29 now and never had to level grind once, there's plenty of side quests that help natural leveling up.

My buddy and I took a break for a couple days but we're both lvl 26.
We've got some great class mods. It's awesome never having to worry about running out of ammo. I can't shoot it fast enough!

THe VOIP crap was bothering us so we just talk on skype and use a wireless headset with my computer.

game is sitting on my shelf unopened with my copy of Uncharted 2 I think I will open it this weekend when I can devote more than an hour to it.

[quote name='bjstucker']game is sitting on my shelf unopened with my copy of Uncharted 2 I think I will open it this weekend when I can devote more than an hour to it.[/QUOTE]
It's one of those games you can enjoy for 15 minutes or hours at a time, though 15 minutes can turn into hours. :)

Patch is coming tomorrow for PS3. Thank fucking god.

Unfortunately, it doesn't say if the VOIP issue will be addressed on the PS3. Hooray for Skype.

An update for PS3 version of Borderlands will be deployed tomorrow, 10/30, at 11am CST. This update will include fixes for issues that some PS3 users have been experiencing.

Many issues have been addressed here, but we are continuing work on support updates for all platforms, and will deploy fixes for every version as soon as possible and continue to support all platforms. If you are experiencing an issue that has not been addressed, please post on our technical support forums and let us know!

Update notes:
  • Load times have been improved
  • Lilith's Phase Strike ability now works as intended
  • The introductory quests with CL4P-TP should now always progress properly
  • fixed a bug that caused the digger elevator to be unusable after completing the Find Tannis mission
  • Weapon mapping to the D-pad should no longer reverse left and right
  • fixed a crash when ejecting the disc during the autosave warning splash screen
  • Players in a lobby should no longer experience long loading when starting a game after one player leaves
  • A bug which caused players and other things in the world to appear incorrectly on clients in networked games has been fixed
  • fixed a bug in which players gibbed in arena combat disappeared
  • Changed how space required for saves is calculated
  • fixed a bug which caused the dollars counter to spin continuously
  • various localization and other text and tooltip corrections

Hey guys, just picked this game up with a friend and absolutely love it. We're around level 13 right now and looking for some people to play with. Feel free to add me if you wanna play.

PSN: willk2244

Does anyone have a problem with sound cutting out on this game? This the only game I have ever played where the sound will cut out very briefly during heavy action. I am using the optical out. Could just be a problem with my reciever... but why only this game of the 50 I have put through the system.

~S

Played a little bit over the week definitely getting hooked in. Just haven't decided what character to stick with between the Siren and Soilder. Just hit level 7ish with both.

Anyway, looking to play with CAGs sometime, I'm dmunkee on PSN.

Anyone else have this game slow to a crawl with four people in some areas?
The Descent
was like a slideshow when I ran through there with a full group. May have been because I was hosting.

i finally get this game and i cant get online. signs me out every time. really pisses me off. especially when i play every other online game without a hitch.

I don't know what to think about this game right now. I've played it for a couple hours so far, and made it all the way to the boss at the end of Sledge's Safe House.

Is the rest of the game like this? It hasn't been very interesting yet and I don't want to invest any more time into it if it doesn't pick up.

Get this get friggin' game. I played it a bit ago, very nice, nice.
smile

I think bmachine and mcguiddy beat the game on the same night as me and my buddy.

Played about a half hour of playthrough 2 and was surprised at the how tough some of those skags are now, and like the loot a lot more.
I think I'll enjoy it more the second time around, but man, I've already put so many hours into it.

The patch helped too. Cleaned up the game a little.

[quote name='dallow']I think bmachine and mcguiddy beat the game on the same night as me and my buddy.

Played about a half hour of playthrough 2 and was surprised at the how tough some of those skags are now, and like the loot a lot more.
I think I'll enjoy it more the second time around, but man, I've already put so many hours into it.

The patch helped too. Cleaned up the game a little.[/QUOTE]

Did you start a new character for the second playthrough, Dallow? What level were you at when you finished the Vault?

I think we were both lvl 38 by the end boss.

And I actually meant I used my existing lvl 38 hunter to do a new game + (the game calls it 'playthrough 2'). Some the skags outside the gate were 'bad mofo skags' that didn't play around.

I did make a new beserker though to try him out, lvl 4 though.

Now that I beat it with my friend though, I won't feel bad playing without him and be dropping in and out of games from now on.

Just got this game in the mail and it's a nice break from Demon Souls. My only real gripe is the lame gun sound effects. I know it's sci fi, but deeper and more realistic gun sounds would've been nice.

Just got the repeater "The Dove." Pretty trippy. I'm going to see how long I can survive using it instead of my primary AR/SMGs. :)

Just played this game with mdamore, and after that some randoms. I love the game except for a couple gripes.

1. The common frame dropping. This game gets pretty choppy at times.
2. Lame gun sounds.
3. And no auto item pick up. Square has got to be the second most used button in this game.

Otherwise, it's an excellent game. I don't see why it wouldn't get higher review scores than it has received so far.

[quote name='option.iv']Just played this game with mdamore, and after that some randoms. I love the game except for a couple gripes.

1. The common frame dropping. This game gets pretty choppy at times.
2. Lame gun sounds.
3. And no auto item pick up. Square has got to be the second most used button in this game.

Otherwise, it's an excellent game. I don't see why it wouldn't get higher review scores than it has received so far.[/QUOTE]

add voice chat problems. I hate at work when people put their desk phone on speaker and thats exactly what it sounds like in this game. Of course I played LAN last night and it didn't work at all.

Yeah, voice chat sounds exactly as you described. But since this is PSN we're talking about, I might as well turn off my mic since no one uses it.

[quote name='option.iv']Just got this game in the mail and it's a nice break from Demon Souls. My only real gripe is the lame gun sound effects. I know it's sci fi, but deeper and more realistic gun sounds would've been nice.[/QUOTE]

I know exactly what you mean. At first I thought it was because I kept finding pistols, but shotguns and rifles seem a bit "light" sounding.

Another gripe I have is that I wish you could manually drop waypoints on the map, I find myself checking it far too often to make sure I didn't pass where I should've gone.

Awesome game though. I keep switching between the hunter, siren, and soilder, all are about lvl. 10-15.

I'm playing as a Siren/Elementalist and finally decided Phoenix was too much of a liability so I respec'ed as more of an Assassin. Now I don't have to live in fear of exploding barrels anymore. :) I love that you can respec at any time and was surprised that it's still so inexpensive even ~30 levels in.

In the inventory screen, what is the slot on bottom right. It looks like a person beside the slot. Mine is unlocked, but has been empty since it was unlocked.

fun game so far, havn't tried multiplayer yet
feel free to add me, have a lvl 23 hunter or can start a new char

on a side note, wasn't there supposed to be some dlc out or was that just the 1.01 patch?

bread's done
Back