Borderlands - Gen. Discussion & Info - OUT NOW (8.0 GS, 8.8 IGN, 88 Metacritic)

Beat the DLC with randy last night... Didn't seem like 50 missions...
As previously stated, everything is 43-44, I was hoping things would be higher level as you got further along, but no such luck. After thinking about it, most of the bosses in the main game were kinda disappointing too, they weren't as easy as the DLC boses, but I only remember having problems with one in the main game, and that's only because we didn't realize you could lock on with car weapons. :lol:

[quote name='enufs8d']it sucks you cant use your level 50s for it. but if you want to enjoy it, then why make new characters for the dlc?[/QUOTE]

Has anyone tried making a new character and then doing some hex hacking to make a quick and dirty 35ish character?

Just bought this for $50 from Amazon.

So if any of you guys wanna play, add me: NoKiLL4You.

On a side note, I'll be getting the DLC also.

[quote name='enufs8d']kefka - i got a copy that i havent opened. ill join you for the ride from level 1 to 50.[/QUOTE]Sick, you plan on getting the DLC? Also, what class do you want to be? How often do you think you'll play?

[quote name='LordKefka06']Just bought this for $50 from Amazon.

So if any of you guys wanna play, add me: NoKiLL4You.

On a side note, I'll be getting the DLC also.[/QUOTE]

I have bought this for 50 bux as well, and getting the dlc soon. I have you on my friends list so I'll hit you up sometime! :cool:

[quote name='enufs8d']kefka - i got a copy that i havent opened. ill join you for the ride from level 1 to 50.[/QUOTE]

I'd be down to join you guys. I've had the game for awhile but I haven't really done a good group run yet. I believe I have wotcher on my PSN already, so I'll add you Kefka and anyone else (my PSN is dmunkee).

I'm all for class coordinating, since I've played with each a little bit and pretty much like them all once you start getting deeper into the skill tree. So hit me up when you guys wanna get something together. I'll be getting the DLC soon too.

[quote name='dmunkee']I'd be down to join you guys. I've had the game for awhile but I haven't really done a good group run yet. I believe I have wotcher on my PSN already, so I'll add you Kefka and anyone else (my PSN is dmunkee).

I'm all for class coordinating, since I've played with each a little bit and pretty much like them all once you start getting deeper into the skill tree. So hit me up when you guys wanna get something together. I'll be getting the DLC soon too.[/QUOTE]

oh i kept seeing you playing it. i always thought you were well into it with your other buddies.

why dont we just form a dlc share account? :cool:

im interested in mw2 map packs too. i can't stand how much i suck at mw2. lol.

well, i completed a few missions with dmunkee. there's almost no point in reading quest descriptions because they are all reasons for you to kill stuff. i made a roland character with complete emphasis on support cooperative role. so i suck by myself and hopefully great in a group. i can't wait for 4 player action.

You guys wanna make 2 characters: 1 for solo play & the other for group play?

Also, my borderlands copy won't be shipping till the 2nd. :(

[quote name='LordKefka06']You guys wanna make 2 characters: 1 for solo play & the other for group play?

Also, my borderlands copy won't be shipping till the 2nd. :([/QUOTE]

I'd be cool with that. I have a bunch of characters depending on who I'm playing with or for solo play anyway.

I've also lost a character due to data corruption :bomb:

I just beat the DLC last night and I guess being at level 50 does make it kind of weak. Me and my buddy were having serious lag and frame rate issues when we went into the Mill. The framerate dropped to maybe 5 frames per sec if that. Could be our connection though. Even though it was super easy. It was fun I thought, in my opinion it was funnier then the main campaign. I liked listening to the tapes on the dlc then Tannis on how lonely she is.

But as I've read this is a series of DLC. And we know what Gearbox needs to do. Raise the level cap. I say 70 would be alright. Because I really want to max my Siren character. Even though she's such a badass with the Phoenix skill maxed.

But if they raise the cap for future dlc it could be challenging again for us with level 50's.

[quote name='dmunkee']I'd be cool with that. I have a bunch of characters depending on who I'm playing with or for solo play anyway.

I've also lost a character due to data corruption :bomb:[/QUOTE]

data corruption that sucks. I have a few characters save datas, so its hard to keep track of all of em.

[quote name='LordKefka06']You guys wanna make 2 characters: 1 for solo play & the other for group play?

Also, my borderlands copy won't be shipping till the 2nd. :([/QUOTE]

I have something like that going on.

Also, I feel like I am the only person who also enjoys playing borderlands solo, and not just popping it in for just co-op.:bouncy:

Also, I have played 3-4 games with a few other cags, and the voip issues
really aren't that bad as people make it out to be, at some points, we could not hear each other but after a few hiccups it was vanilla.

Another thing, we should get an irc chat or something going for group play. I am mic less at the moment, due to my dog munching on my bluetooth headset, (second time).

[quote name='Megiddo_CAG']Also, I feel like I am the only person who also enjoys playing borderlands solo, and not just popping it in for just co-op.:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I'm the exact same way right now, I'm all for excuses to start up new games solo and online :lol:

The world is to empty and lifeless to be much fun solo for me. The missions are given to you in such a deadpan way there is little point in reading them. Story wise Tannis's logs are the best thing in the game. The loot and action is pretty much all the game. I would have been happier if I paid $30 instead of $40.

Voice seems to work for me using the camera. The official headset doesn't work at all for this.

Started playing yesterday...level 9. Not really impressed. The weapons are cool, but overall, as Baron said, the world just feels really lifeless, especially compared to Fallout 3. I'm on the fence as to if I want to keep this, especially since I got this during GS's B2G1...

anyone want to buy my copy for $40? i dont have any need for this game anymore. ive kind of lost hope on them fixing all the issues and i wont support DLC until they do fix everything.

Goozex'd this for 1000 points.I just don't see myself getting into this, especially with the number of fetch requests I had from the get-go. Overall, really let down. The world was...meh, at least in terms enemies and locations. Just overall really let-down, I was expecting a *bit* more of a story, and A LOT more action/adventure. 10 fetch requests in the first hour = no thanks. At least with Fallout 3 there was a story and reason behind things, and the NPCs really felt alive. Not the case with Borderlands unfortunately.

So borderlands is kind of amazing. :D

"PS: You guys aren't friends" - great.

How's the DLC? I'm thinking I need to get it.

[quote name='Kanik']So borderlands is kind of amazing. :D

"PS: You guys aren't friends" - great.

How's the DLC? I'm thinking I need to get it.[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried it yet, but heard good things about it!
Mostly that its very comical!

Sent you a pm!

[quote name='SynGamer']Goozex'd this for 1000 points.I just don't see myself getting into this, especially with the number of fetch requests I had from the get-go. Overall, really let down. The world was...meh, at least in terms enemies and locations. Just overall really let-down, I was expecting a *bit* more of a story, and A LOT more action/adventure. 10 fetch requests in the first hour = no thanks. At least with Fallout 3 there was a story and reason behind things, and the NPCs really felt alive. Not the case with Borderlands unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

I'm still trying to get into it due to the "deadness" of the whole world, especially after playing Fallout 3.

It just really seems like there is no one out there at all other than enemies. At least FO3 had a radio you could listen to, loads of towns/cities/houses that had NPCs in them, etc. This world just doesn't feel alive at all.

I'm only level 15 (Siren) so hopefully it gets better before I decide to Goozex it.

Not glad to hear the world feels dead... loved in Fallout 3 how you came across all kinds of small settlements and random drifters. Definitely added a ton to the game world.

So, no radio, is there any in game music?

[quote name='Saint Noir']Not glad to hear the world feels dead... loved in Fallout 3 how you came across all kinds of small settlements and random drifters. Definitely added a ton to the game world.

So, no radio, is there any in game music?[/QUOTE]

I hate to turn this into a comparison between Borderlands and Fallout 3 but...

In Borderlands you:
-you come across enemies and they either die for good or keep respawning. Very FEW NPCs are out there (from what I played so far)...it just feels dead.
-A LOT of rinse and repeat/fetch quests. Yes, I know there was a lot of that in Fallout 3 but the world was EXTREMELY alive. The radio stations (multiple, which REALLY added a lot to the atmosphere) plus the NPCs that you came across, it just made the world believable. Not to mention the landscape and buildings fit the setting perfectly.

In Borderlands...no so much :( Considering how much time they had between Fallout 3 and Borderlands' release, they could have really made this game stellar...

I'm not sure why the big comparison to this game has been Fallout 3 (admittedly, because I haven't played it) but I was always under the impression that Borderlands was constructed more along the lines of an MMO or something like Champions of Norrath/Return to Arms. Your main motivation for progressing through the game is essentially: "What crazy gun am I going to find next?" or "Just a few more kills until I level up". And yeah, for some people that just isn't enough.

I'm not saying I don't recognize Borderlands flaws, because everyone that's had a problem with the game concerning the dumb as a brick AI and bare bones story certainly isn't wrong. Things also tend to feel pretty lonely when your trudging through by yourself, unless you're a freak like me anyway :lol:. Another big issue is the technical problems people are running into, and that can definitely be a big bummer. I'd be lying if I said I didn't man-scream when my lvl. 25 Siren wouldn't load due to data corruption :cry:

Again, I'm certainly not dissing anyone not getting into the game because of those problems. It just sounds like a lot of people jumped right into it not fully understanding what kind of game it was really going to be.

THe two shouldn't really be compared. They are very different in their genres, and ar meant to be so. It's almost like comparing CoD to Team Fortress or something like that.

I was just rewatching The Royal Tenenbaums and noticed Richie's pet hawk is named Mordecai. Coincidence, or is there a Wes Anderson fan working at Gearbox?

[quote name='rickshankshaw']How are you guys developing the soldier character?[/QUOTE]

My Soldier is a Medic but with some support and infantry skills mixed in. I knew I wanted to get to STAT - which increases your whole party's health when you kill an enemy.
I maxed out Aid Station - essential! This has saved my ass so many times.
Overload - Cauterize just sucked, I respec-ed after loading cauterize for a few points. My partner was Brick - when he needed to heal, he just Berserked for a minute, so Cauterize was a huge waste for my team.
Grit - again, the other seemed worthless. If I needed to revive my teammate I would just throw my turret in front of him and use the shield as cover when I was healing.
Then obviously Stat. And since I got that, we havn't died. At All.
Then I started upgrading Sentry and Defense.
So thats me.
enjoy
- dom

I'm levelling my soldier pretty much the same as marella152. I'm only level 19, so not a whole lot of skills are unlocked. Mainly health bonuses and turret regen. I'd love to play online with someone from CAG!

[quote name='rickshankshaw']How are you guys developing the soldier character?[/QUOTE]

I'm at level 34 or 35 with my soldier right now, but I'm basically building toward this for now: http://downloads.2kgames.com/borderlands/website/skilltree/roland/#01500530050051105055005 using a support gunner mod. It works as both a solo and team build (I support by killin' :lol:). I use the turret more for taking out shields, causing elemtal damage, or distraction. So while it doesn't do that much damage on it's own, it lets me flank enemies with ease. As far as my skills:

Impact
is pretty self-explanatory, more damage is never a bad thing, and I believe it also helps with cauterize in the medic tree.

Metal Storm is one of those skills that sounded worthless to me on paper -I initially went with extra turret damage- but after leveling it up little by little, it became essential. The fire rate you get out of all weapons is a hell of a bonus, especially for combat rifles, SMGs, and shotguns. Just make sure you have a support gunner mod for the ammo regen, you will burn through bullets :lol:

I was torn between maxing out refire or deploy, but instead decided to put a few points in each to complement each other, again, I believe a support gunner mod will also add help with the turret cooldown so in most cases, your turret will definitely come when you need it.

I went with 1 point in greanadier, I didn't see the need to max it out since I don't burn through them that much, but I always want one ready to go when I need it.

Overload is pretty much essential with a maxed out metal storm, so it was a no-brainer for me.

I went with cauterize only because I didn't care for the other skills needed to get to stat. It's also nice not having to worry about my rockets or grenades killing my team and healing them instead so it definitely does help in big firefights.

Of the final tier skills, Stat seemed to be the best one, I like it much better than aid station because it actually heals me. It also doesn't force the team to huddle around the turret which attracts gunfire on it's own anyway.

Not sure if I'll stick with it by the time I get to playthrough two, but I'll see when I get there.

[quote name='punkmaggit']I'd love to play online with someone from CAG![/QUOTE]

Feel free to add me, I have a character or two around 19-20ish, so I'd be down for some co-op.

[quote name='punkmaggit'] I'd love to play online with someone from CAG![/QUOTE]

Add me brotha! Borderlands is getting me more interested in online play. I hate Halo, and didnt have the time to be good at CoD, so I always said fuck it. Plus, I only have one friend on there....and he's my cousin...

I don't know if this is cOLD news or not, but the trophies for the next DLC are listed already on the PS3. Just be sure to compare trophies with someone on your friends list. As of right now, when I look at my trophies, I only see Zombie DLC, but comparing with anyone on my list (even if they don't have Borderlands), I can see more.

So i finally started playing this over the weekend. And i was hooked, Ive been playing all Solo as a Soldier and I played until level 17 on my first session and after 3 days i was level 26. So needless to say I've been hooked, cant wait to play through the DLC once i get my PSN cards from Best Buy.

I've been playing solo as a Siren on and off the past month or so and the single player grind is really starting to bore me. Guess all those years playing WoW finally took its toll.

Well, add me on your friends list if you'd like to play with a gimped lvl 25-ish Siren!

While I'm not against playing Borderlands for 6+ hours, having to start the big tournament over from the very beginning if everyone happens to die right at the end would be rather annoying...

I can't get this game until chrismas! I told my wife to purchase this for me. I'm definitely going to have to send her a reminder. I should have bought it when it was 44 :(

Where the hell is the game time timer on this game. I wanna know how long I have been playing for but can't find where it is.

This is the load character screen with no stats being displayed:

Picture003.jpg

However it does for a new character but obviously not much to show off...

SANY0022.jpg

As soon as I click on Existing Character this appears from the XMB:

SANY0024.jpg

However yet again no game timer...just the level and name and last save time....

The closest I can get to any kind of stats is by pausing and going into the lobby and this show, but still no game timer:

Picture002.jpg

So WHERE THE HELL IS IT?!!! Just annoying, its the kinda game where you like to know how many hours you've plundered into but I don't see how I can...

[quote name='LordKefka06']That actually sounds pretty bad ass. Thanks for the heads up.

Hopefully we can hook up sometime & blow through it.[/QUOTE]

Definitely, with winter break for myself, you'll see me playing more of my backlog which includes borderlands.

I am interested in this dlc as well as the character moxxy. It seems like all the dlc will be centered around one character for the most part? And than bunch of a little sidequests.

Wow, I just started this game yesterday and it has totally sucked me in. My only real complaint is that the respawn is kind of annoying, especially since they require you to backtrack a lot. But the combat is crazy fun... very different from Fallout and more like a traditional shooter.

I got the game from GF but I have to return it at the end of the month before they charge me (trial signup). I guess I've figured out what I'll be doing with three weeks off, lol.

If any of you guys who aren't digging the game anymore want to trade for Dragon Age, let me know!

[quote name='dmunkee']Feel free to add me, I have a character or two around 19-20ish, so I'd be down for some co-op.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='marella152']Add me brotha! Borderlands is getting me more interested in online play. I hate Halo, and didnt have the time to be good at CoD, so I always said fuck it. Plus, I only have one friend on there....and he's my cousin...[/QUOTE]

I'll add both of you tonight. My support soldier is now at level 31 and is a total powerhouse. Will try to get online tonight.

bread's done
Back