Boston Marathon Bombing - Three dead 175+ injured

[quote name='GBAstar']I'm looking at news articles and find it odd that the Uncle describes the two as "losers" and an aunt (not sure if it is the wife of the uncle or another aunt) describes them as "angels"[/QUOTE]

For what its worth earlier the uncle said he had not heard from them in 2 years.. that the older called him a day or two ago to apologize for tarnishing the name..

[quote name='The Crotch']That kinda defeats the purpose of taking someone in alive...[/QUOTE]

No, you get them alive, ask why you did this, are there more people / bombs. Get an answer and he just happens to die from the injuries.

The uncle was more talking, if thy did it they had to be losers.

[quote name='GBAstar']I'm looking at news articles and find it odd that the Uncle describes the two as "losers" and an aunt (not sure if it is the wife of the uncle or another aunt) describes them as "angels"[/QUOTE]

It's his dads brother, who lives in MD who said that. He did an interview on TV. The aunt is in Russia and the sister of the suspects Dad.
The uncle also said he kept his family away from them, but said it was for personal reasons.

"They have the suspect in custory...what does that mean?" -Diane Sawyer

"If he is alive, does that mean we could possibly get some information from him?" -Diane Sawyer

[quote name='KaneRobot']"They have the suspect in custory...what does that mean?" -Diane Sawyer

"If he is alive, does that mean we could possibly get some information from him?" -Diane Sawyer[/QUOTE]

To be fair last night the brother was in custody and he ended up dead. So that's what she might be.

Reddit was pretty awesome in its reporting of the situation except the inadvertent DDoS of 1000 people in the thread also giving the same play by play...just the wave of "We got him!" hurt my head especially with the implication that 1000 keyboard warriors somehow helped in this manhunt.

2 men, one women, newbedford property. Being questioned about suspect #2. They were taken into custody just now.

[quote name='htz']2 men, one women, newbedford property. Being questioned about suspect #2. They were taken into custody just now.[/QUOTE]

Just now being hours ago?

I was following this whole thing from 11pm-5am this morning on the Boston PD scanner. It was like listening to GTA 4 being played over my headset.

I went to bed and expected him to be shot dead, guess I was wrong.

This whole thing been stressful. Not just the 2nd suspect, the grenades, automatic gunfire.....but the violation of the 4th amendment and how many citizens of this area treated as suspects.

I am so incredibly grateful I wasn't in watertown this morning. I would have been less than polite and not granted police access to my house/apartment and I'd probably be still detained.

I'm 30 years old and never see Boston like this......so insane.

[quote name='Calipso']
I am so incredibly grateful I wasn't in watertown this morning. I would have been less than polite and not granted police access to my house/apartment and I'd probably be still detained.

[/QUOTE]

I listened to at least two interviews where people made it sound like police were asking residents if they wanted them (the police) to search their property as a safeguard versus forcing themselves into residences.

In both the people said they told LEO that they had already checked their homes and the police moved onto the next home without entering.

[quote name='Calipso']I was following this whole thing from 11pm-5am this morning on the Boston PD scanner. It was like listening to GTA 4 being played over my headset.

I went to bed and expected him to be shot dead, guess I was wrong.

This whole thing been stressful. Not just the 2nd suspect, the grenades, automatic gunfire.....but the violation of the 4th amendment and how many citizens of this area treated as suspects.

I'm 30 years old and never see Boston like this......so insane.[/QUOTE]
GBAstar pretty much covered most of the areas where you're completely wrong, but I think you're either too young or don't remember what happened in the Charles Stewart case. Either way, you should probably calm it down a bit.

susp.jpg

CRITICAL condition..

Here is the arrest:

58865_509831145719131_2123504168_n.jpg

Fun fact: That was his normal speaking voice. He is actually perfectly calm.

I do admire the guy. He told the truth, was honest and passionate. It's very different from what I would expect from the average American being interviewed. He's very much into the idea that if you commit such a horrible act, you not only shame yourself, but your family and your ethnic group. I would like to see group members holding other group members accountable if we are going to have identity politics.

I think he and I would get along very well.

When he said that they were losers who could not settle themselves, and were jealous of others that could, it really resonated with what I try to do in my life. Whatever my predicament, I try not to convince myself that I am not entitled to what others who have worked harder earned. This attitude is what we need more of right now.

[quote name='2DMention']+ His accent sounds like the main guy from Grand Theft Auto IV.[/QUOTE]
Who knew that Eastern Europe was an actual place in the real world?

[quote name='Spokker']Fun fact: That was his normal speaking voice. He is actually perfectly calm.

[/QUOTE]

It's more the way he shouts some words after speaking normal for a couple. But i agree with you 100% on the rest. Dude has principles.

[quote name='Spokker']Fun fact: That was his normal speaking voice. He is actually perfectly calm.

I do admire the guy. He told the truth, was honest and passionate. It's very different from what I would expect from the average American being interviewed. He's very much into the idea that if you commit such a horrible act, you not only shame yourself, but your family and your ethnic group. I would like to see group members holding other group members accountable if we are going to have identity politics.

I think he and I would get along very well.

When he said that they were losers who could not settle themselves, and were jealous of others that could, it really resonated with what I try to do in my life. Whatever my predicament, I try not to convince myself that I am not entitled to what others who have worked harder earned. This attitude is what we need more of right now.[/QUOTE]
This is more vs. territory, but the reason why he said those things is because Chechens are an oppressed ethnic minority and like any other oppressed ethnic minority, the entire group is held responsible for the actions of a small group of individuals. This is corroborated by the aunt in Canada. It ain't all sunshine and rainbows in the land of Chechnya.

Just because one person "made it" doesn't mean everyone can.

[quote name='dohdough']
Just because one person "made it" doesn't mean everyone can.[/QUOTE]
Correct. This is a fundamental truth that no system of governance has ever or will ever solve. Nobody should blow people up over it. Those who do should be viewed only with contempt, not empathy.

And as I said, he understands human nature very well. But anyway, the boys didn't grow up entirely in Chechnya or the country in which they were born, and they were likely better off here.

[quote name='Spokker']Correct. This is a fundamental truth that no system of governance has ever or will ever solve. Nobody should blow people up over it. Those who do should be viewed only with contempt, not empathy.

And as I said, he understands human nature very well. But anyway, the boys didn't grow up entirely in Chechnya or the country in which they were born, and they were likely better off here.[/QUOTE]
You're making a lot of assumptions here. The biggest one being that the uncle knows exactly why they did it. From the sound of it, it seems like he's more concerned about how his genetic relationship to them will effect his life more than their motives.

Just because life in the US is better than Chechnya, doesn't mean things are great.

[quote name='dohdough']
Just because life in the US is better than Chechnya, doesn't mean things are great.[/QUOTE]

I think the average life is going to be filled with a lot of heartache, even by first-world standards. I do not think we are going to find anything in this guy's American life that would have justified a third-party stepping in and correcting some grave injustice in the hopes that we might prevent him from blowing people up.

Is this what you mean? If he was feeling disenfranchised, what are the actual steps by which we would solve the problem?

[quote name='Spokker']I think the average life is going to be filled with a lot of heartache, even by first-world standards. I do not think we are going to find anything in this guy's American life that would have justified a third-party stepping in and correcting some grave injustice in the hopes that we might prevent him from blowing people up.

Is this what you mean? If he was feeling disenfranchised, what are the actual steps by which we would solve the problem?[/QUOTE]
Again, you're making wild assumptions. Ask me again when/if we learn about why he felt disenfranchised. Otherwise, I'm not going to speculate on things out of context.

edit: Either way, this is vs. territory and I'm done discussing this here.

[quote name='dohdough']...From the sound of it, it seems like he's more concerned about how his genetic relationship to them will effect his life more than their motives.
[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree and that is somewhat disheartening.

I know nothing about the uncle's background but I picture him as a hard working guy that feels like his accomplishments in life are going to be overshadowed by the fact that he shares blood with the two victims.

His speech to the media did about as good of a job as one could to distance himself from the two brothers but I'm sure their is a human aspect where he is in mourning.

I think the Uncle (sane one) has it right yet again.

http://www.today.com/news/uncle-mentors-radicalized-older-boston-bombing-suspect-6C9529666

He said Dzhokar, the younger of the brothers, was "used by his older brother. He’s just another victim of his older brother. He victimized others, but he’s been used by his older brother."

Tsarni, a Maryland resident who is the brother of the suspects’ father, believes Tamerlan, 26, who died in a confrontation with police early Friday morning, was radicalized by others. He noted that the suspects were in his house as children, and recalled a surprising transformation the last time he saw Tamerlan in 2009.

“There certainly were mentors,’’ Tsarni said. “I was shocked when I heard his words, his phrases, when every other word he starts sticking in words of God. I question what he’s doing for work, (and) he claimed he would just put everything in the will of God. It was a big concern to me. He called me 'confused' when I started explaining to him, make yourself useful to yourself and to your family and maybe you’ll have extra to share with everybody else.

"It wasn’t devotion, it was something, as it’s called, being radicalized. Not understanding what he is talking (about). He is just using words for the sake of the words and not understanding the meaning of it.’’
I think religion scrambled the older one's brains and the younger one was too stupid to know right from wrong.

I don't think it has to be an either-or situation. The younger one could have definitely been young, dumb, and convinced or used one way or another by his older brother. But that doesn't mean he isn't culpable for the crimes he committed. He should definitely sit in a prison cell for the rest of his life at a minimum. I'm not a fan of the death penalty but he's likely earned that if the government should choose to pursue it. But I think you can see how he could be a "victim" of his brother while at the same time being fully responsible for what he did.

[quote name='kodave']I don't think it has to be an either-or situation. The younger one could have definitely been young, dumb, and convinced or used one way or another by his older brother. But that doesn't mean he isn't culpable for the crimes he committed. He should definitely sit in a prison cell for the rest of his life at a minimum. I'm not a fan of the death penalty but he's likely earned that if the government should choose to pursue it. But I think you can see how he could be a "victim" of his brother while at the same time being fully responsible for what he did.[/QUOTE]Yes, this is what I mean.

[quote name='keithp']Why should our money go towards keeping him alive in a jail cell? They should pursue the death penalty.[/QUOTE]

Because death penalty will cost more money than keeping him alive.

I think I even underestimated how useful all those random photos would be, but these dudes completely expected to stay anonymous and get away with what they did. Like, leave a bomb in a crowded area and leave. The younger guy was back on campus and going to parties and sipping on beers just a day after the attack. Had 3 days to leave the goddamn country, or whatever you do. They certainly seemed to have enough money to go wherever they pleased.

Kid sounded pretty normal too. I know it's dumb speculation but nothing about him so far fits with any preconceived portraits. Doesn't even seem that religious.

Ah well. Anyone see that ESPN reporter interview the Knicks player and imply they should have let Boston win because of recent events? Good god.

[quote name='keithp']Why should our money go towards keeping him alive in a jail cell? They should pursue the death penalty.[/QUOTE]

No death penalty in Massachusetts. :cry:

How can anybody think the death penalty is a "more severe" punishment than potentially spending 60+ years in prison? Killing him is definitely justified, but I'm in the camp that believes that would be letting him off easy. Considering what a scrawny little guy he is, let him be someone's bitch for the next half century. Even if you wanted to argue that the current prison system is "soft", there is no possible way that 60+ years of it could in any way be an enjoyable way to spend your life.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']How can anybody think the death penalty is a "more severe" punishment than potentially spending 60+ years in prison? Killing him is definitely justified, but I'm in the camp that believes that would be letting him off easy. Considering what a scrawny little guy he is, let him be someone's bitch for the next half century. Even if you wanted to argue that the current prison system is "soft", there is no possible way that 60+ years of it could in any way be an enjoyable way to spend your life.[/QUOTE]
Even this is doubtful. He'll be segregated and be put in solitary for 23 out of 24 hours a day. This is far worse.

[quote name='dohdough']Even this is doubtful. He'll be segregated and be put in solitary for 23 out of 24 hours a day. This is far worse.[/QUOTE]

True...he'd most likely just go insane in a year or two. But what an incredibly miserable existence to be destined for before your 21st birthday. I get the "why should we pay to keep him imprisoned?" argument. But if there's anybody a few extra tax dollars is worth ensuring he takes every second to think about how he threw his life away, this would be the guy.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']True...he'd most likely just go insane in a year or two. But what an incredibly miserable existence to be destined for before your 21st birthday. I get the "why should we pay to keep him imprisoned?" argument. But if there's anybody a few extra tax dollars is worth ensuring he takes every second to think about how he threw his life away, this would be the guy.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think it'd be better to try and rehabilitate the kid if possible, and he might damn well not be, but he could be a good spokesperson against whatever it is that pushed him to commit these acts. It's worth the effort to at least try and he IS only 19. While most 19 year olds don't plot to kill people, it's pretty universal that 19 year olds are dumb as shit. I know I was and every 19 year old I know/knew was too.

[quote name='dohdough']Personally, I think it'd be better to try and rehabilitate the kid if possible, and he might damn well not be, but he could be a good spokesperson against whatever it is that pushed him to commit these acts. It's worth the effort to at least try and he IS only 19. While most 19 year olds don't plot to kill people, it's pretty universal that 19 year olds are dumb as shit. I know I was and every 19 year old I know/knew was too.[/QUOTE]

there's a difference between dumb as shit (I was at 19 too) and planting bombs and killing people. I dont want rehabiliation for this guy at all. I want him to rot in a jail cell until he's 80 and never hear his name again. Thats what he deserves.

bread's done
Back