Burnout Paradise - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='mydogisdexter']I felt the same way. I only played it for 10-15 minutes last night. I'll give it more time tonight and give it a fair chance.

I'm not sure I wanted another Revenge (on-line play kicked arse!), but it does seem a little NFS-ish.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I was really sleepy last night studying for finals and decided to take a break to try out the Burnout demo. When I finished downloading it and started to play, I thought I made a mistake and downloaded a Need for Speed demo instead.

What I liked about the Burnout series was that it was a awesome arcade racer where you can just smash stuff. I could just boot it up and start a race. If I wanted a free roaming car game, I would buy NFS.

Any way to skip all that stuff in the beginning? I can understand what they were aiming for being a demo, but I just wanna drive around the part of the city they offer.

Then again, I suppose that sentiment is a microcosm of what I dislike most about the change from Revenge to Paradise. I just wanna fucking race and destroy some fucking cars.

I was playing it online, as well as offline for about an hour or so and I wanted the game to go back to what it was. Where the fuck is the stage select!?

I have to go to a traffic light to start an event? Then I got lost on the way to a race, I even followed the other cars and tried to just take out the other racers. Even the radio host is a schmuck. Saying "All the best racers KNOW where all the best stuff is, so learn the map!" Umm..NO! How about I just select what I want to do like in the old games and fuck this sandbox shit!

How the hell are the crash events going to work? I have to go to a garage, get the car I want, then I gotta drive to the place to start it, in a thing that handles like a boat..THEN do it? Come on!

It's really sad because the game looks amazing, the crash effects are nothing short of awesome, I just really wish it was the classic formula. It sucks because the game's coming out NEXT month and they wouldn't take it out.

I also played it with CheapyD last night. I had to stop a moment and make sure it was him. I tried asking him how he liked the game, but I guess he didn't have his mic on.

Are you kidding everyone?! This is the BEST, ABSOLUTE BEST NFS game ever created. I mean, it even blends BURNOUT into the game. It is so much fun driving around with a boost just like in Burnout. Wow, I am really impressed with how much improvement the NFS series has made over the past couple of years. Watch out Burnout.

I will DEFINATELY be picking up NFS: Paradise City on release day. You did a bang-up up job Criterion and EA.

[quote name='Phorty Ounce']Are you kidding everyone?! This is the BEST, ABSOLUTE BEST NFS game ever created. I mean, it even blends BURNOUT into the game. It is so much fun driving around with a boost just like in Burnout. Wow, I am really impressed with how much improvement the NFS series has made over the past couple of years. Watch out Burnout.

I will DEFINATELY be picking up NFS: Paradise City on release day. You did a bang-up up job Criterion and EA.[/QUOTE]

great post :applause:

Another Demo saves me money. Sniff and why did I get rid of Revenge? :(

As stated, too open, to NFS, tiny map, etc etc.

This is why I like demos, all demos have saved me so much money..anyways I dont care for this game, if your going open world put detail into it like gta4 style, I dont see any people anywhere, just few cars, even your own car has no person inside it, to fake for me

Well, I've played Burnout since part 2 and I really didn't like the demo at all. On my HD TV everything was either too brown or too shinny. And when everything looks the same it's too hard to drive around and dodge cars. And to make it even worse now I have to also worry about making the right turns or being SOL because I missed a shortcut.

Also it seems you get like zero boost for driving in the opposite direction of traffic. If that's the case then I'll drive on the right side, but then you miss a big part of what makes burnout, burnout.

This game is bargin bin at best for me. I hope it sells like crap so that burnout 4 is better.

If I wanted free roaming racing I'll wait for Midnight Club: LA.

[quote name='Stingermck']Another Demo saves me money. Sniff and why did I get rid of Revenge? :(
[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping CC clearances out Revenge in January to make shelf space for Paradise. I'm another that needs to re-buy. I sold mine because each successive release has been better than the last and have next to no resale value once the new ones come out. I had no idea they'd take the franchise so out in left field.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Well, this is depressing. I'm about to go play the demo and came here to check out everyone's "OH MAN I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS GAME"s before I started.

Oh well.[/QUOTE]
I came in here to read people's impressions of the demo as well, fully expecting to read one glowing account after another, so I'm pretty stunned that the consensus is so overwhelmingly negative. I haven't gotten my 360 online yet (a long, sad, and not at all interesting story, so I'll skip it) so I haven't tried the demo myself, but all of the disappointment I'm reading here has definitely bumped Paradise from Day One Purchase status for me.

Once I finally get on Live, this demo will be one of the first things I download, so I can decide for myself. In the meantime, I guess I'll hold off on throwing Revenge (which disappointed me a bit as a followup to Takedown) up on Goozex.

I played the demo for about 10 minutes. Hated how i had to wait for everything. I dont like driving games that make you drive somewhere to start a mission or upgrade stuff. It just seems so time consuming and unwarranted. I mean when you drive a car to the pay n spray in GTA its different, but in a need for speed game or like burnout its just not good. I didnt even get to any parts of the demo really. Got a car, fixed it up, got a paint job and drove around doing nothing. The best part i like about burnout games is the crashing challenges. That is the best part of the game to me, the races are still good and fun. However i didnt get to play any of that in the demo. Am i missing something?

[quote name='DarkNessBear']The game is crappy?

=([/quote]
If you have played Burnout 1, 2, 3, and/or 4 then as a Burnout veteran, you will honestly feel like punching yourself in the balls on EA's and Criterion's behalf.

So much for "Paradise".

I've been playing Burnout since the very first, the crashes alone made the game awesome and worthy of attention.. now that they've removed the main crash mode, I honestly have no reason to play it.

Like everyone has been saying, Burnout is known for it's crashes, that's what makes Burnout.. Burnout. Now while the crashes look excellent in Paradise, I would much rather just have the good ol' Burnout style with the upgraded crashes and graphics.

Reading everyone's impressions is kind of depressing. It sounds like the game moved away from all the stuff that made it fun, fast-paced, and unique. Burnout just doesn't lend itself well to the "open world" format. Oh well, I will still need to play the demo for myself before passing judgment. Hopefully tonight.

Honestly I really enjoyed the demo - played for over three hours with a few buddies of mine. But that's maybe the difference - I wasn't playing alone. The demo lets up to three friends join you in "your" city, and you can all drive around, do co-op missions, and crash into each other. The fun may wear off after hours and hours, but in the three hours we played, none of us got bored and had only good things to say about the demo.

The single player might be lacking, honestly I never really tried it much. But there's definitely something sweet about having four people time a trip into the middle of an intersection and have a four-way crash! And it looks damn nice doing it, too! :)

So my opinion - download the demo and try it for yourself, don't let all the negative opinions dissuade you from at least giving it a shot.

And for the record, I really enjoyed the other burnout games too, and finished all of them in single player. The overall decency of this game will be a factor of how many objectives they put in, and how varied the races/objectives are. One of the multiplayer objectives is to crash through six billboards each - some of them are tough to get too, but it's a lot of fun looking for them with your buddies.

^^^

I have the same thought as well. When I first started up the demo, I went into single player runs and I did not like it at all. Then, when that Dj told me to go online, I did, and there was an increase in the fun factor. It was great telling others to meet up in the parking garage at East Crawford, do some ramps by the docks, and so on.

And then, when I got back to single player mode, the fun dropped rock bottom.

All of you haters are crazy. I loved the demo (as well as the old Burnout games). Maybe it's because I've never played a NFS game? I don't know... I have a feeling when the entire citry is available the environments will be varied and there will be a ton of stuff to do.

Out of curiousity, if you have Burnout Revenge for Xbox . . . does it make much sense to get it for the 360??? Any real upgrade (besides graphic tweaks).

[quote name='schultzed']Out of curiousity, if you have Burnout Revenge for Xbox . . . does it make much sense to get it for the 360??? Any real upgrade (besides graphic tweaks).[/quote]

A few:

- The boost meter for crash events is removed, so you always get a good start all the time.
- 10 new crash junctions.
- Online community still active (Xbox's servers got shut down about a month ago).
- Achievements?

[quote name='Phorty Ounce']A few:

- The boost meter for crash events is removed, so you always get a good start all the time.
- 10 new crash junctions.
- Online community still active (Xbox's servers got shut down about a month ago).
- Achievements?[/QUOTE]

I actually didn't like the perfect start. I got better scores on some of the junctions by going slow at the start. I literally had to hold the breaks to get a good rating on one of the ones in the 360 version, lol.

I played it a little bit on Thursday. I've still got some mixed reviews on the game considering I wasn't sure what I was doing. I'm going to give it some more time once I head back to the Detroit area so I can play it on my own 360. I am still determined to buy it on day 1, but we'll go from there.

Apparently trees can't cause crashes. Damn shame. I was trying to plant a tree in my dashboard and have the fenders grow around it.

[quote name='javeryh']All of you haters are crazy. I loved the demo (as well as the old Burnout games). Maybe it's because I've never played a NFS game? I don't know... I have a feeling when the entire citry is available the environments will be varied and there will be a ton of stuff to do.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way and also have never played a NFS game, and I have a feeling that's why I like it. I'm quite picky about my racers, moreso, how they handle. Burnout cars drive well with me. Test Drive Unlimited, I hated, mostly because I couldn't figure out how to drive a damn car, but the game always looked really interesting because of the whole free-roam thing.

I was really worried after reading so many previews over the fall that I was going to end up hating the new version, and that they'd changed so many of the controls (the word 'handbrake' had me scared for my life), but I still have no problem with the controls and it's really a lot better than I had been thinking it would be.

Although I have to admit I can totally understand why some people don't like it-- I like it, I just don't know that it makes my mind think I'm playing burnout, just some other awesome fun game.

And my husband loves it as well so it'll be a pickup on day one for us. But we're keeping revenge too.

After playing the demo and learning about Showtime mode, I'm more than pumped for this game.

I don't think it matters if you've played NFS--it's a different game altogether. I think the people who are disappointed with the game are folks who've played the other Burnout games and did not try the multiplayer.

[quote name='javeryh']All of you haters are crazy. I loved the demo (as well as the old Burnout games). Maybe it's because I've never played a NFS game? I don't know... I have a feeling when the entire citry is available the environments will be varied and there will be a ton of stuff to do.[/quote]
What the hell happened to you? You like went AFC all of a sudden. :lol:

blah, its changed but I still plan to buy it day one

But I do think they did a bad job with the demo, needs more content from the from the full game

[quote name='danked']But I do think they did a bad job with the demo, needs more content from the from the full game[/quote]

Agreed. Since the game is open world, not having many events to select (in the demo) makes searching for one or repeating a failed one extremely tedious. If the full game is like that, I think it will be a problem. Other than that, the game still "feels" like Burnout and the gameplay itself is still fun.

Wasn't able to play multiplayer, but if that works out, I can see it being a worthwhile purchase, just not at full price.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Do they still have crash mode? I didn't find an event in the demo.[/QUOTE]

They renamed it to 'Showtime' mode. You can activate it whenever you want, even during races.

I don't think they included it in the demo though.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Do they still have crash mode? I didn't find an event in the demo.[/quote]

there is a crash event in the demo

I'm loving it so far. I think if they wouldn't have changed so many things, the chorus complaint would have been, "It's more of the same". For me, it's nice to see some new gameplay thrown in the mix. My only complaint is that it doesn't feel nearly as fast, but I love the new changes and this will definitely be a release pick-up for me!

[quote name='danked']there is a crash event in the demo[/quote]Is it marked on the map? All I recall seeing was a race event and a stunt event.

[quote name='1DER']After playing the demo and learning about Showtime mode, I'm more than pumped for this game.[/quote]
True, Showtime mode does indeed look pretty nice.

[quote name='danked']there is a crash event in the demo[/QUOTE]

Am I playing the wrong demo? There's no crash event, only 1 stunt, 1 race, and 1 burning lap...

A while back I heard that they wanted the Guns N' Roses "Paradise City" song for this game but they said that with the budget they had they couldn't afford it, now it turns out it will be in the game:
[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=yT7ySCjfW28[/media]
Here's the rest of the soundtrack:
ARTIST
SONG

Adam And The Ants
Stand And Deliver
Agent Blue
Snowhill
Airbourne
Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast
Alice In Chains
Would?
Army Of Me
Going Through Changes
Avril Lavigne
Girlfriend
B’z
FRICTION
Brain Failure feat. Dicky Barrett
Coming Down To Beijing
Brand New
The Archers Bows Have Broken
Bromheads Jacket
Fight Music For The Fight
Depeche Mode
Route 66 (Beatmasters Mix)
Faith No More
Epic
Guns N’ Roses
Paradise City
Innerpartysystem
Heart Of Fire
Jane’s Addiction
Stop!
Jimmy Eat World
Electable (Give It Up)
Junkie XL feat. Lauren Rocket
Cities In Dust
Jupiter One
Fire Away
Kerli
Creepshow
Killswitch Engage
My Curse
LCD Soundsystem
Us V. Them
Make Good Your Escape
Beautiful Ruin
Maxeen
Block Out The World
Mexicolas
Come Clean
N.E.R.D.
Rockstar (Jason Nevins Mix)
Never Heard Of It*
Finger On The Trigger
Operator
Nothing To Lose
Permanent ME
Until You Leave
Saosin
Collapse
Seether
Fake It
Senses Fail
Calling All Cars
Showing Off To Thieves*
Everyone Has Their Secrets
Skybombers
It Goes Off
Soundgarden
Rusty Cage
Sugarcult
Dead Living
Swervedriver
Duel
The Photo Atlas
Red Orange Yellow
The Pigeon Detectives
I’m Not Sorry
The Styles
Glitter Hits (J.J. Puig Mix)
Twisted Sister
I Wanna Rock

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15319/Burnout-Paradise-Guns-N-Roses-Trailer-Sountrack-Info/

WTF is Avril Lavigne doing in that list...ugh!

bread's done
Back