Buy 1, Get 1 50% Off at Amazon

Zin_LG

CAGiversary!
[IMG-R=5838]19624[/IMG-R]Amazon is matching Toys R Us, and holding a buy 1, get 1 50% off sale , but Amazon limits the selection somewhat. Titles include: Skyrim, Halo CE Anniversary, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Rayman Origins (with art book) and more.

iconamazon.gif
Buy 1, Get 1 50% off at Amazon

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mr_bungle']Walmart allows this up to 3 times in a 45 day period, they know what goes on, they don't care. That is, without a receipt.
[/QUOTE]

They allow "no receipt returns" which is not intended to be the same as what you are defending (people lose and discard receipts, this is why the policy exists). Besides, some Wal-mart managers are allowed to modify the policy so it's also incorrect to say that any of them will let you do it.

They have that limit because people abused it too much. Since they can't prove that you defrauded them in most cases and they still want potential customers due to the no receipt policy they had to do something to cut back on it.

It seems to me that "return fraud" is practiced quite a bit (based on my experience, here, on CAG). Anytime someone buys a game and flips it to Gamestop or Amazon, it's "return fraud."

In my Gamestop/Fallout3 example, I'd pre-ordered from Amazon. And I didn't lie to Gamestop about it, I just told them I had an unopened copy for the PS3 and was wondering if I could swap it for the 360 version and pay any difference. There wasn't a difference and they were more than happy to help me out. It didn't cost them anything (it only affected the distribution of their stock) and it bought them goodwill with a customer.

That aside, this has been a bit of a thread-derailment and I'll go ahead and apologize to everyone else.

[quote name='bitzer']It seems to me that "return fraud" is practiced quite a bit (based on my experience, here, on CAG). Anytime someone buys a game and flips it to Gamestop or Amazon, it's "return fraud."

In my Gamestop/Fallout3 example, I'd pre-ordered from Amazon. And I didn't lie to Gamestop about it, I just told them I had an unopened copy for the PS3 and was wondering if I could swap it for the 360 version and pay any difference. There wasn't a difference and they were more than happy to help me out. It didn't cost them anything (it only affected the distribution of their stock) and it bought them goodwill with a customer.

That aside, this has been a bit of a thread-derailment and I'll go ahead and apologize to everyone else.[/QUOTE]

If you're talking about trading in games, that's legal because you never get full retail value back. It's the same for ticket scalpers, legally they can resell them so long as it doesn't exceed face value, but it's near impossible to monitor such things so obviously people abuse it all the time. Even when they get caught, rarely are they prosecuted. Things vary by location just as they would by store for return policies.

As for the Gamestop incident, I'm glad it worked out for you but lying by omission won't fly in every single store and it's the same as the Wal-mart issue since you provided no proof of where you bought it (and thus they wouldn't be able to prosecute you).

I bought sonic generations from gamestop for $49.99. Two weeks later it was $29.99. I bought the $29.99 copy and returned it on my $49.99 receipt. I could have bought a $29 copy at target and returned it on my $49$49 gamestop receipt. If you think thats fraud then you're worrying about the wrong ass.

[quote name='bitzer']It seems to me that "return fraud" is practiced quite a bit (based on my experience, here, on CAG). Anytime someone buys a game and flips it to Gamestop or Amazon, it's "return fraud."

That aside, this has been a bit of a thread-derailment and I'll go ahead and apologize to everyone else.[/QUOTE]

I don't really want to get dragged into this endless debate that tends to rear its head every 6 months or so on here, but flipping is in no way or form return fraud. Return fraud is intentionally deceiving a store into taking back a new item that you did not purchase there. If you're buying on Amazon and then trade it in for credit at a higher rate at Amazon or elsewhere, that isn't return fraud. If you bought it at Amazon and then returned it to Gamestop because you had bought another copy at GS earlier ... that is still not return fraud. If you buy it from Amazon for 1/2 off and return it to Walmart without a receipt for full price ... that is return fraud.

For those of you interested, MLB The Show 11 is listed as one of the promotional games in this sale, but it's not working in the deal. I emailed Amazon and they replied back, but still haven't fixed it.

[quote name='Cheapskate']Math time.

Let's say all the titles you're about to buy are $40.

B1G50%: $40 / 2 = $20 + $40 = $60

$60 / 2 = each game costs $30

B2G1: $40 x 2 = $80

$80 / 3 = each game costs $26.66

In other words, you save almost five dollars per game in a B2G1 in this scenario.[/QUOTE]

my mind has been blown

Ordered a few games the other day. This saved me over $20, not too shabby.

Dead Rising 2: Off The Record
Dirt 3
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary

Items: $145.46
Shipping & Handling: $7.46
Promotion Applied: -$18.50
Super Saver Discount: -$7.46
------
Total Before Tax: $126.96
Estimated Tax To Be Collected:* $11.27
------
Order Total: $138.23

In other words, you save almost five dollars per game in a B2G1 in this scenario.[/QUOTE]

I've always thought they were basically the same too, but I see how I was messed up. A B2G1 is 33% off where a B1G50% is 25% off the total. In other words a B1G50% is the same as a Buy 3 Get 1 free sale. (all these statements are based on games being the same price)

5 per game?
You'll have to spend 6.68 TOTAL with B1G150%

So then the question becomes is this really the best deal once we factor in time and money and of course convenience.

For a lot of people it's easier to pair same priced games in 2's then it is 3's. Usually when someone buys the three they need to work for another game.

Also you have to figure out your initial payment compared to what you're getting from it, a one time purchase of 60 dollars ensures that you'll be able to get the maximum out of that purchase before the overall value of the games go down. In a B2G1F scenario you have more to do in the same time before your purchase is worth less.

In a perfect world B2G1F is a better deal but that's almost never the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I'm having trouble finding 2 games to get, b2g1 wouldn't help unless they added better quality games. Even then, I'd struggle to find a third game to pair with kirby mass attack and Professor Layton and the Lost Specter.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Yeah I'm having trouble finding 2 games to get, b2g1 wouldn't help unless they added better quality games. Even then, I'd struggle to find a third game to pair with kirby mass attack and Professor Layton and the Lost Specter.[/QUOTE]
I wish the Last Spector would go on this sale, I would like to grab two for Christmas

Seems the best bet would be AWD. I saw it listed at $22, of course it'll have that used sticker on it which makes you look like a cheapskate if it's a christmas gift.

I've only recently become interested in PC gaming again, but is it pretty common for Amazon to exclude PC games from deals like this? Is there a reason why?

[quote name='fujishig']Because this is price matching TRU? Does that sale include PC?[/QUOTE]

Heh. I hadn't thought of that. I checked and TRU is excluding PC games also. That sort of sucks.

super bummed. I have purchased so many games the only two I really am looking for is the Mario 3d land and Mario kart 7. :(

FYI, Rayman Origins with artbook (360 at least) has dropped to $49.99 and still qualifies for the deal. Figured some might be interested in that.

[quote name='bitzer']I've only recently become interested in PC gaming again, but is it pretty common for Amazon to exclude PC games from deals like this? Is there a reason why?[/QUOTE]

In general, PC games do not go on sale as often as console games. However the B1G1 50% off that Amazon pre-Black Friday did include PC games. As noted they may have been matching a competitor who had included PC games whereas here TRU did not include PC games.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Seems the best bet would be AWD. I saw it listed at $22, of course it'll have that used sticker on it which makes you look like a cheapskate if it's a christmas gift.[/QUOTE]

I use Goo Begone, Goo Gone, Goo Remover (name varies). It'll remove sticker residue with no problem. Just make sure to remove the cover first or it'll eat through the color.

[quote name='crunchewy']FYI, Rayman Origins with artbook (360 at least) has dropped to $49.99 and still qualifies for the deal. Figured some might be interested in that.[/QUOTE]

I have mentioned in another thread, this game is super duper. Wish I had the art book, purchased it day one. still loving it.

bread's done
Back