Buy a 40GB PS3 at Wal-Mart at 399.99, get a $100 GiftCard FREE - [Not confirmed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poor2More

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I was looking at the ad for Walmart

Purchase a 40GB PS3 at Walmart for $399.99(June 1st-June 6th) and receive a $100 Blue Ray Walmart GiftCard FREE

Im not sure if you can use the giftcard on things other then Blue Ray and games, it looks like a regular giftcard

Sorry if this has been posted

Hmm...it might even depend on how many cards you already have. I think "they" want you to have a certain number of cards (don't remember for sure the number-maybe around 4?) but your score goes up or down based (among many other things) on the average length of time you've had your cards. Longer being better.

Sidenote-applying for store credit (like store loans) is supposed to be really bad for your credit.

[quote name='PikaPichu']Is there any way to not have it affect your score? or possibly make it go up?[/quote]

Use it the one time, cut it up, cancel it 12+ months later and it'll effect your score less.

Excessive Opening/Closing credit cards can effects your score a lot. Doing it once in a while will effect it, but not as much. Just don't become the person who opens and closes a card every year to transfer balances because of the 0% intro terms. That's a score killer.

Holding onto the same card for many years will increase your score.

[quote name='underliness']Not too bad, but I think I will wait for the 80gb MGS4 bundle.[/quote]

will that one have ps2 backwards compat?

[quote name='munq']Use it the one time, cut it up, cancel it 12+ months later and it'll effect your score less.

Excessive Opening/Closing credit cards can effects your score a lot. Doing it once in a while will effect it, but not as much. Just don't become the person who opens and closes a card every year to transfer balances because of the 0% intro terms. That's a score killer.

Holding onto the same card for many years will increase your score.[/quote]

Hmm... I was not aware of this. I've been using my debt card for the past... well... for a long time, and havent gotten into credit cards yet. All the talk of "OMGZ EVERYBODY AND THEIR GOLDFISH IS IN CREDIT CARD DEBT" has me too scared to even play with em.

But, for the sake of my credit score and the eventual purchase of a home, maybe that Citibank card is one I'll hang onto and use often. Hell, the points rewards aren't bad at all, and if I pay it all off right away it's not like it's costing me anything extra.

I guess the big question then is, if you apply but never actually activate the card, does it hurt your score? Or is it like you just never had the thing?

[quote name='CKaz']will that one have ps2 backwards compat?[/QUOTE]

yes the 80gb mgs4 bundle will be backwards compatible.

[quote name='MuzykMann']Hmm... I was not aware of this. I've been using my debt card for the past... well... for a long time, and havent gotten into credit cards yet. All the talk of "OMGZ EVERYBODY AND THEIR GOLDFISH IS IN CREDIT CARD DEBT" has me too scared to even play with em.

But, for the sake of my credit score and the eventual purchase of a home, maybe that Citibank card is one I'll hang onto and use often. Hell, the points rewards aren't bad at all, and if I pay it all off right away it's not like it's costing me anything extra.

I guess the big question then is, if you apply but never actually activate the card, does it hurt your score? Or is it like you just never had the thing?[/QUOTE]
to be honest, the BEST people to ask about credit scores are not the people on a gaming site...because if you look, you'll see different advice on whether or not your score will be effected.

the best people to ask are financial planners. or, using a credit simulator (ironically, my credit card company offers one)

i would even just call a creditor before soliciting advice. they're required to tell you all the terms of the agreement anyways. if they can't answer your questions, they'll send you upwards until you can get straight answers....of course after putting a note on your account to not take the commish from them.

then again, i just gave you advice...

[quote name='strongpimphand']to be honest, the BEST people to ask about credit scores are not the people on a gaming site...because if you look, you'll see different advice on whether or not your score will be effected.

the best people to ask are financial planners. or, using a credit simulator (ironically, my credit card company offers one)

i would even just call a creditor before soliciting advice. they're required to tell you all the terms of the agreement anyways. if they can't answer your questions, they'll send you upwards until you can get straight answers....of course after putting a note on your account to not take the commish from them.

then again, i just gave you advice...[/quote]

This article might help. Basically, it doesn't really matter in the long run, but be careful opening new lines of credit if you're going to apply for a loan soon.

[quote name='MuzykMann']Hmm... I was not aware of this. I've been using my debt card for the past... well... for a long time, and havent gotten into credit cards yet. All the talk of "OMGZ EVERYBODY AND THEIR GOLDFISH IS IN CREDIT CARD DEBT" has me too scared to even play with em.

I guess the big question then is, if you apply but never actually activate the card, does it hurt your score? Or is it like you just never had the thing?[/quote]

It's about self control. :p Having a credit card doesn't mean carrying a balance. I do the same thing and use my check card for most purchases. I only use my credit card when I have to. The whole "OMGZ EVERYBODY AND THEIR GOLDFISH IS IN CREDIT CARD DEBT" is because too many people think credit cards are free money. :)

When you apply, they do a credit check. A credit check once in a while isn't going to effect your score. But too many credit checks in a specific amount of time (i don't know how long) will hurt your score.

Sorry for the off topic discussion. :)

On a COMPLETELY related note, if this Walmart deal pans out to be true, I'll be one jumping on it. I've been looking for a good deal on a PS3 for about 4-5 months. I just refuse to do the Sony Credit Card deal because I'm very happy with my credit score. :)

[quote name='strongpimphand']to be honest, the BEST people to ask about credit scores are not the people on a gaming site...[/quote]

VERY true. I'm no expert, I just speak from what I've experienced. I just went through the whole home buying, load application, bullshit a couple years back and I'm only speaking from what I learned then.

Well guys Im sorry I tried to help out and contribute to this site with a deal, but people calling it shannigans, My brother left for wal-mart to buy a few things and will see if he can get one of those ad's, because He seen it also, either way I know this deal is legit, Thats where I will be picking up my PS3 from with my stimulus check, either way the ad will be in this sundays paper because I HIGHLY doubt that its exclusive to my store or region (never heard of that before)

[quote name='Wolfpup']Hmm...it might even depend on how many cards you already have. I think "they" want you to have a certain number of cards (don't remember for sure the number-maybe around 4?) but your score goes up or down based (among many other things) on the average length of time you've had your cards. Longer being better.

Sidenote-applying for store credit (like store loans) is supposed to be really bad for your credit.[/quote]

technically ANY loan has the possibility of being bad for your credit...
especially if you default on them

[quote name='MuzykMann']
[/quote]

why would you want to keep a card with 29.99% interest rate...

[quote name='devilman2075']why would you want to keep a card with 29.99% interest rate...[/quote]
Beacause 29.99% interest on a $0 balance is $0. I can't tell you what the interest rates on any of my credit cards are because I've never bothered looking at them. With the sign-up bonuses and the 1% to 3% cash back on my cards, credit card companies have paid me close to $1000, and I've paid them $0.

so if you bought a ps3 + the free gift card then used the gift card and returned the ps3 within the return date or w/e you pretty much get $100 free?

[quote name='BustaBust']so if you bought a ps3 + the free gift card then used the gift card and returned the ps3 within the return date or w/e you pretty much get $100 free?[/quote]

No you haven't been reading the thread. They charge you $299 for the PS3 + $100 for the gift card which makes your total still $399. But if you return the PS3 you only got $299 back, thus you still paid $100 for your $100 gift card.

[quote name='RotJ']Beacause 29.99% interest on a $0 balance is $0. I can't tell you what the interest rates on any of my credit cards are because I've never bothered looking at them. With the sign-up bonuses and the 1% to 3% cash back on my cards, credit card companies have paid me close to $1000, and I've paid them $0.[/quote]

I am the same way. My wife and I have a bank card and I hate it. I hate having more than $2000 in a checking account and keep the rest in an ING savings account. It is too much of a pain to continuely monitor a checking account all the time. Instead we purchase everything possible on a credit card and . We make more money keep our dollars in a savings account longer and pushing off purchases for 15-25 days. Every month we pay our balance off 100%. Visa/Mastercard have paid us quite a bit. ING has paid us quite a bit too (Orage Savings). However, I have made them (CC) money with their purchase fees to the business.

[quote name='ogbaka']
if you really want the gunmetal color... im not a mgs fan... so count me out
and you can always up grade the hd and add more usb ports[/quote]

Um, that's not the gunmetal being offered June 12th. That's exclusively on Konami's site for $600 for a 40 gig and went on sale today to ship then. The regular, 80 gig MGS bundle pack June 12 nationwide and goes for only $500.

[quote name='Poor2More']Its the ad for june 1-6, its got like patrotic colors and stuff (labor day sales I guess)[/quote]

Labor Day is in September. Memorial Day is next week, May 26.

[quote name='Poor2More']Well guys Im sorry I tried to help out and contribute to this site with a deal, but people calling it shannigans, My brother left for wal-mart to buy a few things and will see if he can get one of those ad's, because He seen it also, either way I know this deal is legit, Thats where I will be picking up my PS3 from with my stimulus check, either way the ad will be in this sundays paper because I HIGHLY doubt that its exclusive to my store or region (never heard of that before)[/quote]
I wouldn't stress it too much. Thanks for bringing something to the attention of those who don't have a PS3 yet.

Yeah. He was stalling for the poster here to post the scan so he could steal that and then be a hero who posted this great deal at Slickdeals and get all the REPS from the minions. Kind of amused me that he didn't credit CAG in the beginning, because it hung him out when the scan never came.

[quote name='Yigytugd']All I want to know is this deal real but I guess we have to wait longer.[/QUOTE]

I can post tomorrow AM if this deal is legit or not. Ill post from work on my Q phone if real.

[quote name='DX']I can post tomorrow AM if this deal is legit or not. Ill post from work on my Q phone if real.[/quote]

Who are you? Yesterday you posted this same garbage. Do you have the ad also? You will post what tomorrow?

Edit: As far as I know, you are asking to be flamed just as much as the person who posted this topic. He didn't have scans, you don't either. This is all a big Fake. If it's not, that I sincerely apologize. but i doubt it.

[quote name='Shawn1150']Who are you? Yesterday you posted this same garbage. Do you have the ad also? You will post what tomorrow?

Edit: As far as I know, you are asking to be flamed just as much as the person who posted this topic. He didn't have scans, you don't either. This is all a big Fake. If it's not, that I sincerely apologize. but i doubt it.[/QUOTE]

If you read my earlier post you would see that I work for WM. I have been off for 3 days and go back tomorrow. I never said this was real, just stated I could verify. I am also the same person who broke the news of the $98 HD DVD players last year at AVS.

Ill still do it for the community but your defensive self can kiss my ass.

[quote name='Shawn1150']Who are you? Yesterday you posted this same garbage. Do you have the ad also? You will post what tomorrow?

Edit: As far as I know, you are asking to be flamed just as much as the person who posted this topic. He didn't have scans, you don't either. This is all a big Fake. If it's not, that I sincerely apologize. but i doubt it.[/quote]

Get a life, and grow up.

[quote name='DX']If you read my earlier post you would see that I work for WM. I have been off for 3 days and go back tomorrow. I never said this was real, just stated I could verify. I am also the same person who broke the news of the $98 HD DVD players last year at AVS.

Ill still do it for the community but your defensive self can kiss my ass.[/quote]

:bouncy: w00t - I just *knew* we had to have a CAG WM insider around here to confirm/deny this deal - TIA!!!!

[quote name='DX']If you read my earlier post you would see that I work for WM. I have been off for 3 days and go back tomorrow. I never said this was real, just stated I could verify. I am also the same person who broke the news of the $98 HD DVD players last year at AVS.

Ill still do it for the community but your defensive self can kiss my ass.[/quote]

Its either in this upcoming AD, or the week after, whatever June 1st-6th falls under, back page, THANK YOU!!!

[quote name='Shawn1150']Sry guyz, I'm just so excited to see if this deal is real or not.[/quote]

No one would be that excited unless they were giving away FREE PS3s. No excuse for that kind of flame that you did to him.

[quote name='placebo1']Memorial Day is May 30th. It's always observed on the last Monday in May.[/quote]
[quote name='dts5000']The last Monday of May, 2008 is the 26th.:D[/quote]
[quote name='CocheseUGA']And the last Monday of May would be...?

I never thought calendar reading was so hard.[/quote]
[quote name='lowenbotten']You're going to criticize someone for getting Labor Day wrong and then you turn around and get Memorial Day wrong? If you're going to point out someone's mistake, you better not do the same thing yourself...in the very same post. Incredible.[/quote]Sorry guys, but placebo1 is correct.

Memorial Day is actually on May 30th. In 1971 it was changed to be observed on the last Monday in May, giving everyone a three-day weekend, but the actual day is still on the 30th. Look closely at your calenders. If they're decent ones, they should show both dates with the word "observed" after the Monday date.

And as a side note, please don't wish people a Happy Memorial Day. Sadly, I realize that the day has totally lost its meaning for most people, but at least try to remember that its more than just the unofficial start of summer.

[quote name='SRW1000']Sorry guys, but placebo1 is correct.

Memorial Day is actually on May 30th. In 1971 it was changed to be observed on the last Monday in May, giving everyone a three-day weekend, but the actual day is still on the 30th. Look closely at your calenders. If they're decent ones, they should show both dates with the word "observed" after the Monday date.

And as a side note, please don't wish people a Happy Memorial Day. Sadly, I realize that the day has totally lost its meaning for most people, but at least try to remember that its more than just the unofficial start of summer.[/quote]

I like to think of it as the beginning of Margarita Thursdays, which is just a name for every day where it is really sunny and we can sit outside and drink all day. Then about 3-4 hours in to the process pray to god that we live to just see 1 more March Madness tournament.

[quote name='DX']Ill still do it for the community but your defensive self can kiss my ass.[/quote]

As a member of the community, you have my thanks.

I already pre-ordered a MGS4 bundle from circuitcity.com, but am contemplating canceling it, if this deal turns out to be real. Seems like someone would have verified this or found a flyer by now though, so not likely I guess.

[quote name='vrblknch']"Citi Professional Card is considered a business purpose credit card and not a consumer credit card. Please note that certain consumer rights do not apply to this account."

Gots to have a catch somewhere... and the 28.99% default is scary. Not saying I have ever defaulted/late paid, but I bear the burden of being a FICO junkie AND a CAG... The Sony card may work for me because I need a smaller plasma to put the PS3 on in another room anyway. Wii PS2 and 360 getting crowded...[/quote]

Yeah well you should never carry balances on credit cards to begin with. Your credit cards should be paying you, not you paying them. In fact anyone who calls themselves a CAG and is buying these deals on credit cards and NOT paying them off is probably paying more than retail for everything when it's all said and done. I do cash rewards credit cards and I get hundreds of dollars a year in free money just for using a credit card and paying my balances on time without fail. BTW, MOST credit cards have default rates around 28.99%. Most people just don't realize it.

Also, don't let the business thing scare you. Lots of places have business accounts, and you don't really have to have a business to get the card in most cases. I highly doubt in this case you have to prove you're a business.

[quote name='devilman2075']why would you want to keep a card with 29.99% interest rate...[/quote]

Because if you pay your entire balance off every month it won't matter what the rate is. I didn't look into this particular deal, but if it doesn't have cash rewards I wouldn't use this card except to get the deal. Then I'd head over to citicards and get one of their cash rewards cards so that you get cash back on all of your purchases and then use it to buy everything that you can. Just ALWAYS pay the balance off.

People have no business getting credit cards if you don't plan to pay the balance off 100% of the time without fail. If you pay your balances off, you pay no fees, no nothing, and in fact if you get a rewards card they pay you to use the card. Getting into credit card debt is seriously the dumbest thing anyone can do. You end up paying double or worse for everything, and you sink into a money pit from hell over time. I know people who built up 10k to 30k in CC debt and it absolutely ruined their cash flow situation for a decade while they tried to dig out from under it. They made enough money over that time to pay for their 10k and 30k in CC debt, they just weren't patient enough to actually wait until they had the money to spend it.

[quote name='solisnk']Damn, no proof yet. :/[/quote]

yeah. at this point i just want to see the ad to prove or disprove this. i really want to bite and its going to be a horrendous heartbreak if it turns out to be fake.

Confirmation!

wmad.png

I have found nothing on this deal at work. Have checked the WIRE WM intranet, and there are no notifications.

Im thinking this is BS. sorry guys, any further updates Ill post them.

[quote name='DX']I have found nothing on this deal at work. Have checked the WIRE WM intranet, and there are no notifications.

Im thinking this is BS. sorry guys, any further updates Ill post them.[/quote]

Thanks for checking DX.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']Looks more like a Boston Terrier, French Bulldogs are cuter.[/quote]
They look similar when the french bulldog is that coloring but I think it is one, cuz they tend to be a bit huskier and longer/pointer ears like that one lol. But yea, not 2 different. Still cute though lol

I really hope the OP gets banned wasting everyone's time like this. Again the now about 1% chance he was telling the truth I'd apologize when seeing proof but I just about guarentee this is bogus.

I'm a mod on a few other forums and since he's persistantly came in this thread backing up his lie I know if I was one here I'd tell him to either admit he's lying and take a week ban or get a perm ban.

I really hope the OP gets banned wasting everyone's time like this. Again the now about 1% chance he was telling the truth I'd apologize when seeing proof but I just about guarentee this is bogus.

I'm a mod on another forum and since he's persistantly came in this thread backing up his lie I know if I was one here I'd tell him to either admit he's lying and take a week ban or get a perm ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back