Buy an HP Laptop get a Wii system Free

sunil247

CAG Veteran
http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=8397

Best Buy Co. Inc. on Sun. will sell a bundle that includes a notebook by HP Inc. and Nintendo Co.'s Wii hardware in one-week promotion.
In the offer, customers can purchase an 15.6" HP notebook that includes an Intel Core 2 Duo, 6GB RAM, 500GB hard drive, and wireless N technology and a Wii console for a total of $849.98 after $350 instant savings.

I never knew laptops and Wii go together like this.

Pretty nice deal though if you were already planning to buy the laptop, its like getting a free Wii.

Tempted to get this since I'm looking for a laptop anyways. If this deal is going on at B&M stores, I could get it tax free w/ the tax holiday going on here this weekend. Looks like it's probably online only though, but still a good deal.

The only problem with this is you're stuck with an HP laptop, and from my experience HP is the equivalent of trash.

[quote name='whoknows']The only problem with this is you're stuck with an HP laptop, and from my experience HP is the equivalent of trash.[/QUOTE]
And a garbage console.

[quote name='IXI Dragunz IXI']Too bad this is a Wii, if it was a 360 Arcade I'd be all over it, but I just bought a laptop thats even better on black friday.[/QUOTE]
But then you would have two broken products :D

[quote name='Distrato']But then you would have two broken products :D[/QUOTE]
I think I'd rather have an unreliable 360 than a Wii.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Is this the type of laptop that will have tons a pre-installed trash and will almost necessitate a clean install?[/QUOTE]
Highly Probable.

I'm debating this myself.
Is there any way to find out the speed of the RAM in this? Whether it is DDR2 or DDR3?
And how crippling is the integrated graphics card?

[quote name='SDC']I'm debating this myself.
And how crippling is the integrated graphics card?[/QUOTE]

You basically just answered this yourself...

I think Wii is up to DDR3, or better known as Dance Dance Revolution Disney Groove...sorry, I couldn't resist.

A shame it's not from a select few HP laptop models, I'd rather get a netbook...in fact getting a netbook + any console would still be cheaper.

It's nice when a thread gets more idiotic, and useless, opinions about a particular item IN the package, rather than the package itself.

[quote name='dualedge2']It's nice when a thread gets more idiotic, and useless, opinions about a particular item IN the package, rather than the package itself.[/QUOTE]

It's called Thread Derailment, and I'm pretty sure it went off the tracks 3-4 posts in.

Anyways I would suggest moving this back onto the topic, but I doubt it will happen.

A part of me wishes HP.com still offered this very same model for sale, so I could price it out to see the TRUE value of it, and compare that with the BB promotion.

This would definitely make sense however for a college kid looking to get a new lappy and dare I say...a Wii. I know this weekend in VA, consumers are free of tax on general back to school supplies, and I know laptops are under this rule, so that may not be such a bad break either.

[quote name='IXI Dragunz IXI']Too bad this is a Wii, if it was a 360 Arcade I'd be all over it, but I just bought a laptop thats even better on black friday.[/QUOTE]
uhh sell the Wii and buy 360 arcade. A Wii system costs almost twice as much...

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']
This would definitely make sense however for a college kid looking to get a new lappy and dare I say...a Wii. I know this weekend in VA, consumers are free of tax on general back to school supplies, and I know laptops are under this rule, so that may not be such a bad break either.[/QUOTE]

I'm live in VA and the no sales tax doesn't work for electronics, and its only for items under 100 bucks.

you could always go to delaware though where there is no sales tax at all

[quote name='Tdogg2k8']I'm live in VA and the no sales tax doesn't work for electronics, and its only for items under 100 bucks.

you could always go to delaware though where there is no sales tax at all[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but you're wrong on this. Sort of.

The original "tax-free" promotion had the stipulations you mentioned, but most big-box stores like Best Buy have expanded it in the last year to all items on these weekends. I know because I saved over $100 on a TV last year.

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC'] A part of me wishes HP.com still offered this very same model for sale, so I could price it out to see the TRUE value of it, and compare that with the BB promotion.

This would definitely make sense however for a college kid looking to get a new lappy and dare I say...a Wii. I know this weekend in VA, consumers are free of tax on general back to school supplies, and I know laptops are under this rule, so that may not be such a bad break either.[/QUOTE]Price breakdown is listed in the ad as the following:

Bundle pricing: $949.99 laptop + $249.99 Wii = $1199.98 - $350 Package Savings = $849.98

With the usual "limited quanties; no rainchecks" legal at the bottom of the ad.

In MO you can get computers that are 2500 or 3500 (can't remember what one but I'm thinking it is the 3500) or lower with no tax. However I'm sure they would some how try to tax you on the wii.

[quote name='shrike4242']Price breakdown is listed in the ad as the following:

Bundle pricing: $949.99 laptop + $249.99 Wii = $1199.98 - $350 Package Savings = $849.98

With the usual "limited quanties; no rainchecks" legal at the bottom of the ad.[/QUOTE]

Aye, I guess I would just like to see a comparison between purchasing it directly through HP and through Best Buy (seeing as I know B&M can sometimes increase the actual price of the computer rather than what the manufacture sells it, not to mention the s***load of HP coupons that are always floating around).

Again, I won't argue that it's not a good deal, but only for those who were looking to get a decent lappy and Wii together or least at some point in time.

I wanted to see what the price would normally be for this model and I just built this exact laptop on HP's website and before shipping it ws $997.00. So good deal.

This is actually not a bad deal for something that is essentially a "back to school" sale. A college bound kid gets a laptop for school (granted it might not be the best, but people by lower end stuff because it's cheap) and a game system for fun. The specs of the laptop are perfectly fine for normal day to day stuff.

[quote name='superdry']The specs of the laptop are perfectly fine for normal day to day stuff.[/QUOTE]

They are way more than enough. I don't know why one would need a laptop for gaming. What a waste.

haha this thread is a good example of how on the internet "one mans trash is another mans treasure" and this thread is nowhere near as bad as ones ive seen, I like my 17 inch hp latop pretty well, but lord it does have a bunch of preinstalled stupid crap on it that ill never ever ever use, at the same time it doesnt irritate me to the point where ill murder everyone in a hp factory

really lookin at this with some serious intent to buy. not big on the wii but i want to own it at some point anyway? can anybody tell me a good reason i shouldn't buy this or maybe where i can get a better deal? and saying "it's hp" isnt a good enough reason, I've actually had pretty good luck with hp, on a hp pavillion desktop that is a few years old right now. other than loading reader (damn you adobe) it does what i want it to fast enough for my satisfaction. specs are low. amd athlon 512mb pc2700 80gb hdd. so to me. those laptop specs look amazing. except vista, ugh. Wonder if they'd do a free downgrade to xp for me? anyway. any help on this matter would be appreciated. thanks

[quote name='ddemaree']really lookin at this with some serious intent to buy. not big on the wii but i want to own it at some point anyway? can anybody tell me a good reason i shouldn't buy this or maybe where i can get a better deal? and saying "it's hp" isnt a good enough reason, I've actually had pretty good luck with hp, on a hp pavillion desktop that is a few years old right now. other than loading reader (damn you adobe) it does what i want it to fast enough for my satisfaction. specs are low. amd athlon 512mb pc2700 80gb hdd. so to me. those laptop specs look amazing. except vista, ugh. Wonder if they'd do a free downgrade to xp for me? anyway. any help on this matter would be appreciated. thanks[/QUOTE]

Nope. People just hating on HP. Though it will most likely come with a lot of junk. I don't see how one could lose out on such a deal. If you play to sell the Wii and manage to get $200 for it you'll be looking at a laptop for about $650 + tax. All comparable computers with similar specs go around $750+.
Since this thing has 6gb Ram you're going to get vista 64.

So unless you really don't like HP, this isn't a bad one.

you could always take the wii to walmart for a 300$ gift card. or whatever walmart sells them for. they dont know you didnt buy it from them, and chances are. the employees don't care anyway. hmm. wonder if walmart sells that laptop too??? $$$

Hmm, free upgrade to win7 ...

[quote name='ddemaree']you could always take the wii to walmart for a 300$ gift card. or whatever walmart sells them for. they dont know you didnt buy it from them, and chances are. the employees don't care anyway. hmm. wonder if walmart sells that laptop too??? $$$

Hmm, free upgrade to win7 ...[/QUOTE]

Regardless of the return fraud, Walmart won't accept a receipt-less return on an item that expensive.

[quote name='whoknows']The only problem with this is you're stuck with an HP laptop, and from my experience HP is the equivalent of trash.[/QUOTE]

Not for me, my 17 inch HP with Blu-Ray + HDMI kicks some ass.

This is gonna sound incredibly nooobish, but what if you buy the laptop and get the free wii... and then return the laptop? could you keep the wii? Is this illegal/would this work?

^^Yeah, the above was noobish... from the Best buy page:
Bundle Return Policy
Bundle purchases can be returned in accordance with our std return policy. If you are unsatisfied with an individual item you purchased as part of a bundle package, you may also return that item separately.

Please note: In many bundle packages, a discounted price has been applied to each item in the package. While you will be refunded the discounted price of each bundle item you return, you will be required to pay the difference between each remaining item's bundle price and its non-discounted price on the date of your bundle purchase. Please call Customer Care at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) for details about how returning a bundle item will impact your cost

[quote name='peterb0y']This is gonna sound incredibly nooobish, but what if you buy the laptop and get the free wii... and then return the laptop? could you keep the wii? Is this illegal/would this work?[/QUOTE]The laptop by itself is $949.99. If you returned the laptop to keep the "free" Wii, you'd probably only get back $599.99, which is the bundle price minus the price of the Wii.

It's not illegal, just really really stupid. They see shenanigans like that a mile away.

nice deal. The Wii isn't really my cup of tea, but anyone interested should spring on this - especially for those of you who are going to college soon.

[quote name='JRdeegan']uhh sell the Wii and buy 360 arcade. A Wii system costs almost twice as much...[/QUOTE]

Like I said, got a better laptop on black friday.

bread's done
Back