CAG 3.0 Upgrade - News, Updates And Progress - Dark Theme, Feedback are Live - EVERYTHING is Coming Back Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if it was reported yet, but from the main page you can view the "super secret moderator forums" link lol.  To see it just hover over Community >> Forums >> Cheap Ass Gamer Lifestyle.  Guess the secret is out!

Does the product / game collection database go offline occasionally? Can't search for nor add anything right now, and I think I observed the same thing the other day.

edit: well, 3 minutes later and now it's available again...

edit2: and now not, again. Is this on my end or CAG's?

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to 'Find content' by hovering over the username, or in the upper right area of the user's profile page. Then on the left side, 'See this member's' and finally 'Only posts.' Now if we could just as easily see banned member's posts (e.g. Pepsiman's alts), that would be great. :)
Thanks bud!

Will the Marketplace be returning?  I have toooo many games, and I need to trade/sell.  The Marketplace was my favorite way of doing so.  :(

AAAAAHHHH, my eyes.
I thought they were bringing back the white theme in a matter of days. It has been weeks.
Come on guys, this isn't 1998. The black looks horrible.
At least give us the option.
Those that want 90s Halloween colors and those that want a nice clean look.

Thanks.

AAAAAHHHH, my eyes.
I thought they were bringing back the white theme in a matter of days. It has been weeks.

Thanks.
CAG has always had the green and black theme. That's what makes it set apart from other sites.

AAAAAHHHH, my eyes.

Thanks.
Yeah, the black is so bad that you've dealt with it for 9 1/2 years.

My Quote and MultiQuote buttons do not work.  I select "Quote" and it takes me to the "reply to this topic" box but the quote text does not appear.  Sometimes it will not even allow me to make a post!

CAG has always had the green and black theme. That's what makes it set apart from other sites.
Oh...Nice to know.

I thought it was the content and the user base. But glad to know the ONE thing that set it apart from other sites was the goddamn theme.

Come on.

You and many many many others prefer the black theme.

I/we get it.

But there is a small minority that prefers the white theme. And we'd like it back.

Does it annoy anyone else that for images in forums posts, you can't just right-click if you have a reverse-image search (tineye, google) in your context menu?

Does it annoy anyone else that for images in forums posts, you can't just right-click if you have a reverse-image search (tineye, google) in your context menu?
Not specifically, but I like being able to right-click > view image or right-click > copy image location.

Also on the subject of images, I don't like how there's an extension restriction on images. It's not all that uncommon for sites to serve images without extensions (eg: Steam serves screenshots with URLs like http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/738882403515827390/B650448F69BC3BB32D54CE6626B4EE63E3243189/)

Is there any particular reason why the smilies in a post like this are completely broken with only a few of the smiley codes in there actually working?

Edit: Okay, they work if I add a space between the code and the name of the game, but that's an odd bug to have.

On the 'My Notifications' page, is it possible to get the 'Delete Selected' button ALSO at the TOP next to the select all check box?

This may have already been brought up, but when you are browsing a thread on Safari, and someone Bolds their text, and then someone quotes that bolded text, everything else ends up being bold for the rest of the page.

It doesn't happen on Firefox, and its not really that big of deal, just not sure if other browsers had the same (minor) issue.

So, it is safe to say we are stuck with the Halloween colors forever?

No more option to switch to a normal color scheme?

I don't get it, people complained about the new white scheme, so it gets ditched forever?

What is the issue with ahving 3 themes, Mobile, White, and 1997 black and orange?

So, it is safe to say we are stuck with the Halloween colors forever?

No more option to switch to a normal color scheme?

I don't get it, people complained about the new white scheme, so it gets ditched forever?

What is the issue with ahving 3 themes, Mobile, White, and 1997 black and orange?
CAG runs on several web servers, and the forum software we use doesn't like clustered environments. Or rather, it works fine as long as you don't make a lot of changes to the styles. Every time you edit a style here, there's a good chance that the style will break on one or more of the servers until it's recached. The same applies to making functionality changes to areas around the site, like collections. You upload a tiny change, and a lot of things will break until a bunch of tedious operations are executed to rebuild caches, reimport xml files, and so on. On a site where you have a lot of functionality that needs regular tweaking, all that adds up - and when you have three styles to maintain, all that wasted time is tripled. I'm looking into ways to speed this up, but that's why we had to get rid of the light style for the moment.

Can somone explain how to change the name of a link on this site? It won't save the changes and it is really pissing me off. This new CAG broke all the old links and it isn't taking HTML.

Can somone explain how to change the name of a link on this site? It won't save the changes and it is really pissing me off. This new CAG broke all the old links and it isn't taking HTML.
Do you mean like this: >link name here< ?

If so you need to highlight the text you want to link and click the chain icon in the editor to turn it into a link. Conversly you can click the little lightswitch in the top left corner and use the usual bbcode tag.

Unless this wasn't what you were asking, in which case I don't know.

CAG runs on several web servers, and the forum software we use doesn't like clustered environments. Or rather, it works fine as long as you don't make a lot of changes to the styles. Every time you edit a style here, there's a good chance that the style will break on one or more of the servers until it's recached. The same applies to making functionality changes to areas around the site, like collections. You upload a tiny change, and a lot of things will break until a bunch of tedious operations are executed to rebuild caches, reimport xml files, and so on. On a site where you have a lot of functionality that needs regular tweaking, all that adds up - and when you have three styles to maintain, all that wasted time is tripled. I'm looking into ways to speed this up, but that's why we had to get rid of the light style for the moment.
Thanks.
Love the forums, just sorry to see the white theme go.

A big update is incoming with the following changes:

• New front page design including a better deal thread system, community blog posts, a better featured content system, collection/list stats, automatic featuring of live CAG twitch.tv streams, and some other small bits and pieces. 
  • A cleaner style throughout the site, with responsive mobile designs for the non-forum pages. 
  • User trade-in submission system for reporting trade-in values. 
  • Price tracker improvements, including the ability to browse all retailer prices rather than just price drops. 
  • New and improved site navigation, including the ability to add/remove games to your collection/wishlist/beaten/playing lists directly from search. 
  • The return of game price alerts.
  • Lots of improvements to the collection system, including the ability to search within lists, better sorting and filtering options, layout improvements and list sharing features.
  • Revamped community moderation, including user submission tools for adding product records (as an alternative for our existing system which uses retailer data, for older and more obscure games.)

Let me know if there's anything missing from the list that you were hoping to be included in this update, and I'll see what I can do.

Let me know if there's anything missing from the list that you were hoping to be included in this update, and I'll see what I can do.
There don't seem to be too many people bothered by it, but I would love to see the default spoilers changed to look a bit more like they used to, just like I described in this post.

It would be fantastic if you could somehow create a tool for people that want to drop codes but only members could see it (similar to ModBot on Neogaf). I'm not sure if this is possible with CAG's software, but it would definitely be a great edition.

I've found that nested spoilers and customspoilers sometimes breaks (but not always?) where only part of the (custom)spoiler is hidden correctly regardless of where your ending section is. Or is there some rule about how they are parsed / supposed to be used that I'm not aware of?

Is it possible to bring back the store emoticons? It would help save some title space without having to type out the retailer's name.

I've found that nested spoilers and customspoilers sometimes breaks (but not always?) where only part of the (custom)spoiler is hidden correctly regardless of where your ending section is. Or is there some rule about how they are parsed / supposed to be used that I'm not aware of?
On a related note, is there a way to switch over to the pure HTML coding style (i.e., the [ color=x ], [ url="x" ], etc tags) so we can see and modify them directly instead of relying on the GUI interface?

Thanks!

ragingst0rm6, brings up an excellent point.  I don't know of any way to do this and it was definitely available in the old CAG.  I like to edit in plain text and copy/paste into threads and without the HTML style coding, it's a LOT more difficult.

On a related note, is there a way to switch over to the pure HTML coding style (i.e., the [ color=x ], [ url="x" ], etc tags) so we can see and modify them directly instead of relying on the GUI interface?

Thanks!
ragingst0rm6, brings up an excellent point. I don't know of any way to do this and it was definitely available in the old CAG. I like to edit in plain text and copy/paste into threads and without the HTML style coding, it's a LOT more difficult.
That's bbcode, which you can switch to with the little lightswitch in the upper left corner of the editor.

i want the html option as well since i dont understand how to get the bbcode to work correctly. That is what I was complaining about a few posts back.

MrNinjaSquirrel, thanks so much! I thought the light switch was just to make the background turn white (oops!) because I always did that at the beginning of a post before I had typed out anything.  Thanks for pointing that out to me, huge help :).

slowdive21, you're right HTML would be ideal but I'll take BB Code over nothing.

Slow loading on Opera Mobile?

I've been noticing this issue for a couple months where the page will mostly load, but will hang while loading avatars on forum listings. Loading threads don't have that issue, but still loads kinda slow. I remember there being a change made for CAG 3.0, but can't remember what it was.

Everything works fine on Dolphin and the stock android browser though.

Getting the false notification of new posts again. I'll click on the star, let the thread load completely, go back to my followed content tab and it still shows unread posts. Tried refreshing the page and it still does it. Newest version of firefox, everything updated.

Getting the false notification of new posts again. I'll click on the star, let the thread load completely, go back to my followed content tab and it still shows unread posts. Tried refreshing the page and it still does it. Newest version of firefox, everything updated.
Notifications are not showing up when I get quoted on Chrome. That's my biggest pet peeve on CAG

ok. Old CAG you could use more than one window and the user control panel/followed threads would show read if you opened it in another window. It doesn't seem to work on the new CAG. It is really annoying and one of the main reasons I don't use the site nearly as much as I used to.

Anyone else finding the Collection "feature" to be almost useless? Not only is it a drag to navigate (making it a pain to look up if you've got something), it doesn't catch if you've already got a title when you search, so it's possible to add multiple instances of the same game over and over.

I guess this and the other ill-advised changes are why traffic appears to be declining here. I find myself hitting the Game Deals sub at Reddit almost exclusively. Too bad. A bad redesign is what killed Digg and made Reddit huge, too.

Collections are getting an overhaul in the next update.
Tentatively hopeful. I'd like to see the link moved to the top of the page, even in a drop down menu. I rarely ever see the bottom of any page on CAG and I've gone long periods of time even forgetting that CAG has a collection feature (and I have my collection listed on here). A uniform size for the game pictures would be great, along with all of the images being the NTSC versions (or at least the option to update them as necessary). The positives far outweighed the negatives on the 2.0 version of the collection feature.

Tentatively hopeful. I'd like to see the link moved to the top of the page, even in a drop down menu. I rarely ever see the bottom of any page on CAG and I've gone long periods of time even forgetting that CAG has a collection feature (and I have my collection listed on here). A uniform size for the game pictures would be great, along with all of the images being the NTSC versions (or at least the option to update them as necessary). The positives far outweighed the negatives on the 2.0 version of the collection feature.
You can already upload NTSC box art. Go to a product page, click edit, upload the new art. There's a minimum resolution required for all box art, but what with different game boxes being different sizes we don't have a strict aspect ratio set for uploads.

Collection/wishlist/list stuff is a lot more visible throughout the site in the new update. When you enter search terms a full width results panel appears, which includes toggle buttons for adding games to your collection/wishlist/beaten/now playing lists.

search.png

Is there any chance you could make the collection list able to be exported to excel or something? I've been trying to organize my stuff, but I haven't found a way that is worth the effort.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but there appears to be some problems with the messaging system/notifications.

Several times now, when having conversations with other users through the message system, a user will reply but you won't receive a notification.

Also, sometimes when replying to someone through messages, your reply, the newest message will be place out of order in the conversation.

Also, sometimes when replying to someone through messages, your reply, the newest message will be place out of order in the conversation.
I've experienced this quite a bit lately, like CAG is using a forum member's local time for the post instead of its own time. Perhaps there's a server level change that can fix that?

I've been experiencing a problem lately when attempting to post replies.  Never had a problem since the site change, but over the last month or two I've noticed when posting a reply I have to hit the post button twice. 

At around the same time I also started having trouble with the multiquote button.  The site has a habit of deleting/reseting all the quotes I stored.  I'll hit the button at the bottom of the page that says "reply to 3 posts" or whatever and everything just disappears.  I have to go back through the pages and find the posts I was attempting to post, but a lot of times I don't even feel like going back through all of it.

Did something else change recently that would be causing this?  Trying to figure out if I'm the only one having this trouble and if it might be a problem on my end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back