CAG 3.0 Upgrade - News, Updates And Progress - Dark Theme, Feedback are Live - EVERYTHING is Coming Back Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should also change the "Like This" button to "Big Ups!" (Whipsmartbanky's suggestion) or something else more hip.

Thank you for the dark theme. My eyes no longer have to bleed looking at the website. Dark text on white backgrounds should be made illegal.
Erm, dark text on white background is the norm.

I regularly frequent a few forums, and almost all have dark on light. Light on dark is quite outnumbered.

Now, all of those sites do look better than CAG's white theme. They use off-white in the background, differing backgrounds, and various border elements to not be so stark as what we were seeing here. That does not change the fact that they are using dark text on a light background.

Cheapy, will it be possible to get back the icons for the different systems and retailers? Those really helped threads pop out. I was just wondering because I don't know whether or not Invision Power supported those icons.
It doesn't natively support it, but that doesn't mean we cant add it. I think we have some alternative ideas that will be better.

Filtering by retailer, platform, should be possible through our new systems.

Thank you for the dark theme. My eyes no longer have to bleed looking at the website. Dark text on white backgrounds should be made illegal.

I regularly frequent a few forums, and almost all have dark on light. Light on dark is quite outnumbered.

Now, all of those sites do look better than CAG's white theme. They use off-white in the background, differing backgrounds, and various border elements to not be so stark as what we were seeing here. That does not change the fact that they are using dark text on a light background.
Yeah, we can do better on the light theme. And we will!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheapy, will it be possible to get back the icons for the different systems and retailers? Those really helped threads pop out. I was just wondering because I don't know whether or not Invision Power supported those icons.
It doesn't natively support it, but that doesn't mean we cant add it. I think we have some alternative ideas that will be better.

Filtering by retailer, platform, should be possible through our new systems.

I'd just like to say that the dark theme is a major improvement over the light theme. Eyes not bleeding now. Thank you!

Should be good once all of this unused white space is eradicated.

-Dave

Is there anyway of distinguishing which threads we have posted on, when we view the whole subforum? Or is this going to be implemented later on.

I must say, it's really amazing how much a simple color scheme can effect ones view on something. It's really like night and day. Site looks fantastic with the Dark Theme. Now it's starting to feel like CAG again.

I must say, it's really amazing how much a simple color scheme can effect ones view on something. It's really like night and day. Site looks fantastic with the Dark Theme. Now it's starting to feel like CAG again.
It's better, but I'd rather the old CAG by a billion miles.

I hate to be negative, but this is awful. Go back to the way things used to be ASAP!
give it a little bit of time and read things. They are still working on implementing everything. Right now we're in a bit of a "beta" period.

That said, I do hope that the homepage comes back.
You're right, of course, but I rely on this site and it's just so utterly unuseful to me in its current state. That said, I've seen many websites undertake complete overhauls like this, and while they all, eventually, seem to return to some sense of normalcy, they all end up feeling significantly diminished, usually through a loss or convolution of features. I hope that doesn't happen here, but I've seen it so many times that I can't help but feel cynical about drastic, non-organic changes like this.

It seems like every date I see has the day before the month.  I really hope this is going to be changed back to the traditional month-day-year format (Jan 1, 2013) that is used all throughout the US.

Is there a way to get to my thread subscriptions? 

Also, this is not so much a necessity as it is a selfish want. But for sales threads, lowballs, and my personal spending thread I tend to use a lot of emoticons. I noticed that there is now an emoticon post limit. Would it be possible to lift that? I like all of my stuff to have emotes next to them as it makes things very neat. Again, not a necessity just a nitpick. xD 

i.e-

Purchase History: 

:br: Avengers 3D

:360: Fable 3

:ps3: Ni No Kuni

:arrow: Assassin's Creed 3 Guide [Limited Edition]

I can't figure out why, but every time I see the new font logo with CheapyD's head, all I can think is:

"Hi, My name is CheapyD, and this is Jackass."

Subliminal message, perhaps?

Is there a way to block all pictures? I need it for work. On CAG 2.0 it worked great. I can block sigs here but don't see an option for avatar blocking etc.

Can we get rid of the nested quotes, or whatever you call them, and just have it so the last person quoted shows.

This right here is a mess:

nestedquotes.jpg

Posts that show up on the page from ignored users are in a white area, which sticks out a bit on the dark theme.

Is that by design or something that needs to be fixed/tweaked/adjusted?

Can we get rid of the nested quotes, or whatever you call them, and just have it so the last person quoted shows.
Definitely this. The multi-quote feature is there for people who want to quote multiple posts.

Quoting everything that was already quoted is messy looking, and it's a hassle to manually edit down before posting your reply to avoid including the stuff you're not wanting to quote/reply too.

The post background colour is off-white, it has been for some time before the dark style was added.

You guys should create a redirect for http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/

It leads to a file/folder directory. It's how I used to access the site, and it's still in my address history as such. I can't be the only one.
Good idea, done.

Posts that show up on the page from ignored users are in a white area, which sticks out a bit on the dark theme.

Is that by design or something that needs to be fixed/tweaked/adjusted?
I don't have anyone in my ignore list, so I missed that one - will sort it out momentarily.

The dark theme is such a blessing. My EYES thank you.

Also it's getting much closer to how it was before. The new layout completely confused me enough to not even care to check here for deals. Keep at it, guys.

As much as I'm used to seeing CAG in dark, if the light theme is improved I'll probably use that. Good to hear.

And I'm liking the new nested quote ability, including the easy to use editor.

So is this the final design of the front page?  The old one had the latest podcasts & Sunday deal feature posts along with top ten deal threads and tweets.  IT was a kind of portal.  

This new front page just dumps you into the Forum Table of Contents.  And stretches it out at that with a paragraph talking about each Forum.  

Not sure if I like the white or classic dark better.  I guess I feel the white is a bit too white and not subdivided as well as the black.  But text is more clear.  

Why do some avatars have a white border around them, and some don't?

Also, thanks for the dark version, it's so much easier on the eyes!

The dark theme is such a blessing. My EYES thank you.

Also it's getting much closer to how it was before. The new layout completely confused me enough to not even care to check here for deals. Keep at it, guys.
Agreed. I honestly didnt mind the white, but the actual layout I thought was awful. I'm glad the dark is back, but more happy that it's back to being laid out like a regular forum again.

The text is still messed up for me on chrome. 

Is there a fix yet? Firefox and IE seem fine though.

Definitely this. The multi-quote feature is there for people who want to quote multiple posts.

Quoting everything that was already quoted is messy looking, and it's a hassle to manually edit down before posting your reply to avoid including the stuff you're not wanting to quote/reply too.
Not really. It's quite easy, especially with this editor. Very sleek and useful.

For keeping a conversation quoted, a set of nested quotes works best. The old multi-quote system was very clunky for quoting a running conversation. Not to keep harping back on what other forums do, but nested quotes are the norm everywhere else I frequent.

Multi-quote is great for quoting and replying to multiple people on multiple points.

So is this the final design of the front page? The old one had the latest podcasts & Sunday deal feature posts along with top ten deal threads and tweets. IT was a kind of portal.
I don't know why a lot of people aren't realizing it, but the site is probably only a third finished. So much stuff still left to be implemented and will be soon enough. No worries, just give it a little bit of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back