CAG 3.0 Upgrade - News, Updates And Progress - Dark Theme, Feedback are Live - EVERYTHING is Coming Back Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey CheapyD, CAG was feeling a bit dated. Glad you took the time to do a face lift. FYI - The site is running a bit slow or won't even load here in San Francisco. It took about 10-15 secs. to load a page. I'm a bit worried it won't survive on black friday.  Keep up the great work and love the new feel of CAG.

HI , i'd just like to point out, while i'm on the black layout, and many do prefer the black layout.. could you possibly enlarge and whiten the default letter text a tad bit more?  i find myself squinting insanely as the words are very difficult to read 

Just logged in after being away during the 3.0 transition.  I had a notificiation that a post was quotes (checked and it was).  Inbox showed 2 new PMs, but the messages were from 2012 (had 0 unread PMs last I logged in).

Hey SP John and Cheapy - I know you said we'll still get all of the old features, but will the pop-up menus for user profiles be returning? It was nice to be able to send a PM without going to someone's profile page first. (Sorry if this has already been answered... I've been skipping some pages in my reading of this thread)

Hey SP John and Cheapy - I know you said we'll still get all of the old features, but will the pop-up menus for user profiles be returning? It was nice to be able to send a PM without going to someone's profile page first. (Sorry if this has already been answered... I've been skipping some pages in my reading of this thread)
If you hover over someones username(not their avatar) a window pops up, on the left bottom is a "send message" button

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too! I brought this up the day 3.0 went up and never got a response. In fact, I haven't seen a response to anyone reqesting this. I guess the whole OMGOMGMOGMOMGOMGOMG!!!I'MBLINDEDBYTHEWHITE!!!BRINGBACKTHEBLACK!!!!!!! craziness has overshadowed many smaller requests/suggestions.

The site is looking pretty good so far.  I'm really looking forward to having access to my collection once more.  Another thing that I miss is the twitter feed.  For some reason I find Shipwreck's bargain hunting and CheapyD's photos of cool cars in Tokyo to be quite compelling.  I suppose I could actually get a twitter account, but that seems like work.

Finally, Dark Theme FTW.  That white background was killing me.  It made the site look like a placeholder page.

Suggestion

Can you guys add a poll feature to the social groups? That option is currently unavailable. Is there a way to enable that type of thread inside our social groups?

Not sure if this is being planned (is it really a "feature?"), but I really liked having the dropdown (select input) on every page for instantly jumping to any sub-forum.  I hope that comes back.

Thanks for all your hard work.  As a software developer, I empathize with tough change-overs from one platform to another.

There've been a few issues where a thread wouldn't load and the page would say database error.  Also it seems a thread that I posted in earlier has been "errored" - it shows up in a search but is an older archived version.

There've been a few issues where a thread wouldn't load and the page would say database error. Also it seems a thread that I posted in earlier has been "errored" - it shows up in a search but is an older archived version.
It's a glitch that happens when I change something, like a template. This forum software was made by the same people as The Matrix, apparently.

Cheapy, everything looks fantastic. Getting some errors here and there obviously, but I have no issue with them as it's still in beta essentially! From strictly a design standpoint, I'm not really digging the "100% Positive Feedback" on the left hand side.... looks a bit out of place IMHO. Either way this redesign has been long overdue... loving the pixelated background though, it's a really nice subtle touch!

Hey, just wondering if the emoticons per post limit is going to be removed. I maintain a thread that uses quite a few, and currently it is a total wreck. If it is not being removed then I will edit around the limits, but it would be nice to know before I do some major surgery on the OP.

One question, I did the whole hide signature thing now i won't see any signatures (which is awesome, less clutter). But for the time when I do want to see signatures again, how do I do that?

I read through the pages of this thread...and maybe I just missed it....but is there a way to enable to recently updated forums that used to be on the right side of the page in CAG 2.0?

I liked being able to jump on the site and quickly see what the recent topics were being posted.  I

also liked how there was a list of the most active forums.

I don't see those anymore.

I'm assuming those lists will be back at some point. 

But if there's something I need to enable under options (which I don't see) I'd appreciate if someone could tell me how to do so.

Thanks.

Great job cheapy!

Also,

1. Is there a way to fill up the screen? I think all of us with widescreen monitors would agree that there's a lot of wasted space on both sides.

2. Has a list of all the newly implemented featured been posted somewhere?

3. I prefer the white background. (gasp! I know) and is this a bug (refer to photo) or am I just going to have to live with it.
screenhunter02jun111159.jpg

The front page is live, although it's still a work in progress as we're dealing with some server issues that make uploading/tweaking anything on the site a complete nightmare. (If you've had a database error or a slow loading page at any point over the past few days, it's because template edits were happening.) 

Also, the top deals list is simply a list based on last reply time at the moment, because a massive query is required to get the popularity stats going. It'd mean site downtime for an unknown length of time, so I'm going to run it overnight instead.

Tried searching for a thread that I posted in - was errored (missing but still found in search. my post removed from my post history) - and is now nowhere to be found.

Also speaking about forum search, I was looking for a way to get to advanced search but couldn't find it.  Eventually I got this page due to continuous searching (and triggering that damned search flood)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/index.php?app=core&module=search

Noticed there's a new front page...how do I get to the main deals page?
If you scroll all the way to the bottom their are links listed with three head titles "Around CAG", "Community" and "Games & Products". The "Forums" link under "Community" will take you to the main deals section.

The front page is much better now. Thanks John, Cheapy and the gang!

If you scroll all the way to the bottom their are links listed with three head titles "Around CAG", "Community" and "Games & Products". The "Forums" link under "Community" will take you to the main deals section.
That will take you to the same place as clicking the community button at the top of the page.

Glad I reserved judgement, everything looks great now!  Just waiting for games database, blogs and lists to come back, but I'll be patient, as that may take some time.

Click on "More" to the right of "Top deals".
Thanks, I swear I clicked that and it took me to the PS3/PS4 forum. Maybe that was just some weird hitch.

Anyway, front page looks great. Still curious about if wikified threads will be coming back if anybody knows?
Yep, everything is coming back.
Thanks! :applause:

I was wondering about something.  I've noticed a couple times in my notifications that someone has "liked" a post of mine, and I think I may have clicked "like this" on a post or two since that was implemented.  If I go back to my post, I don't see any indication that it's been "liked".  Is there anything to indicate that, other than the notification itself?  Not a big deal, obviously, I'm just curious.

Hey John, I noticed that when editing a post, there's an option to turn off the "Edited on XX:XX PM" timestamp. Can that be automatically turned on for everybody like it was on old CAG? Many of the giveaways that I've done on CAG required people to guess something in advance of an announcement, but this option essentially makes it easy for anybody to cheat without evidence to disprove it. Or maybe it could be something that the OP can enforce for a thread for those kinds of situations?

I was wondering about something. I've noticed a couple times in my notifications that someone has "liked" a post of mine, and I think I may have clicked "like this" on a post or two since that was implemented. If I go back to my post, I don't see any indication that it's been "liked". Is there anything to indicate that, other than the notification itself? Not a big deal, obviously, I'm just curious.
If you click on your profile, you can click on the section on the left column called "Likes", and it will show all of your posts (and soon blogs and gallery items I'm guessing) that were liked by another member. I have no idea how to check what you have liked from other members, though.

I don't think this updates the individual post at all ala Facebook with a like count, if that is what you are wondering.

Hey John, I noticed that when editing a post, there's an option to turn off the "Edited on XX:XX PM" timestamp. Can that be automatically turned on for everybody like it was on old CAG? Many of the giveaways that I've done on CAG required people to guess something in advance of an announcement, but this option essentially makes it easy for anybody to cheat without evidence to disprove it. Or maybe it could be something that the OP can enforce for a thread for those kinds of situations?
I haven't been able to find a setting for this, but it's something we can add.

Looks better and better everyday, John. Once this is all said and done, make sure Cheapy brings you to next year's E3.

One question, I did the whole hide signature thing now i won't see any signatures (which is awesome, less clutter). But for the time when I do want to see signatures again, how do I do that?
Go to your user ID on top of any page, click the little drop down arrow next to your user ID, and click on Manage Ignore Prefs. There you should see a little box checked off that says - Ignore all signatures when reading topics and personal messages. Uncheck it and save. You should then see signatures again. You can also get to this through My Settings and clicking on the 'Ignore' Preferenes on the sidebar.

A bunch of server changes happening tomorrow, and it might result in downtime, slowdown, elevated stress levels, loss of hair, and irate tweeting. But, it should be the last block of major interruptions for the foreseeable future.

any chance you can relax the signature rules to how they were? if I try to edit mine I'm going to lose most of it :cry:

ohh.. and CAG mobile keeps logging me out even with remember me

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back