CAG 3.0 Upgrade - News, Updates And Progress - Dark Theme, Feedback are Live - EVERYTHING is Coming Back Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh wow..at LEAST we had light mobile, now you're forcing DARK on that as well? What exactly is going through your heads? Can we at least have light mobile theme back?

Last edited by a moderator:
oh wow..at LEAST we had light mobile, now you're forcing DARK on that as well? What exactly is going through your heads? Can we at least have light mobile theme back?
You spelled, "wow, the new dark mobile theme looks great" wrong.

I think we are just going to do one mobile theme, and the majority opinion is that CAG = Dark. Maybe a light version sometime in the future. Can't please everyone and there is lots to do. Sorry.

For my own personal use of the site, my biggest gripe is with the notifications. They really, really need to be changed to one notification per thread that either says new activity in x thread or x amount of new activity in x thread. The big threads that I post in just bury the smaller ones, and I am frequently missing new activity because of it. I've seen others mention this, too, so hopefully this is something that can be implemented.

Will the collection and wish list area contain the number games on the list? It was a nice feature to keep track of how many games there were on the list.

I'm finding a lot of people don't know how to "delete" a post. It is meant to be the "Hide" button correct?

I'm not sure what could be done about that besides changing it to say "Delete" instead.

Just throwing that out there, idk if anyone agrees

What's the status of the game collection feature?  It is very barebones right now, but it used to be my preferred game tracking tool.  For example, you can't search your collection, nor sort by system or letter like you used too. 

Any ETA when those features will return?  The game collection tool of CAG was one of my favorite features. 

What's the status of the game collection feature? It is very barebones right now, but it used to be my preferred game tracking tool. For example, you can't search your collection, nor sort by system or letter like you used too.

Any ETA when those features will return? The game collection tool of CAG was one of my favorite features.
I don't know about searching, but you can definitely sort by system.

Grimace, you can filter by letter and some systems.  I don't know if it's much use to you but with the limited functionality, I loaded my entire collection from the list view, copied and pasted it into Excel as text, and then did a little work to get it so I could import it into Microsoft Access to keep better track of the data.  I explained it here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/309612-cag-30-upgrade-news-updates-and-progress-dark-theme-feedback-are-live-everything-is-coming-back-soon/?view=findpost&p=10881369

Oops, I must have missed the filter buttons, but I see them now.  Thanks for pointing that out to me!  Hopefully being able to search through your collection by text will be back soon too.  :)

This happens more times than it works fine, but when I go to bump my sale thread the reply box doesn't appear. It's just a blank empty space. This even happened last night when I tried to reply to a PM.

OS X & Chrome, if that helps.

On the forum list where it shows the topics in the forum, the listing of the pages isn't right.

It doesn't happen on all threads, though one example is at the top of this forum, the "CAG on your mobile devices" thread.  That shows pages 1, 2, 3 and 6->, which should make me think that the last page of the thread is 6.  When you click on the "6", you end up on page 6, of 7.

Some others:

(VGD Forum, page 1) http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/316757-sunday-ad-video-game-deals-811-817-nintendo-3ds-175-at-target/ (shows 1, 2, 3, 7->, though has 8 pages)

(VGD Forum, page 1) http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/307758-amazon-warehouse-deals-thread-vii/ (shows 1, 2, 3, 247->, has 249 pages)

It sounds like the page index for the thread isn't updated right and that what you think is the last page isn't the last page.

This happens more times than it works fine, but when I go to bump my sale thread the reply box doesn't appear. It's just a blank empty space. This even happened last night when I tried to reply to a PM.

It happened again tonight, so I took a screen cap. I can't post because there isn't a box to type in.

x87q.png

Hey John & Cheapy I have a fairly quick design suggestion to fix this problem I noticed in the nav, it's happening mainly for users with longer profile names. When signed in the DIV containing all of the profile info is getting pushed underneath the main nav bar.

My suggestion would be to replace the "profile name text" with an icon, or button graphic. This change would give you a fixed-width element to manage going forward, as opposed to text strings of varying width.

I've run into that a lot on Firefox. I haven't encountered it since upgrading to the latest version (going from FF 3.6 to FF 23 is a big leap!), but I also haven't been on the site a whole lot since then.

I dropped my wireless keyboard and some key press or combination of key presses brought up a quick navigation pop-up for the forums to make it easy to get to other forums from the thread I was on. What do I need to do to bring this back up since this is a much-needed feature that I didn't know was available yet on CAG 3.0?

I don't know about searching, but you can definitely sort by system.
There is no option to sort by older systems like NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. (at least I don't see them in the drop down menu).

Also, when searching for games to add, the way the systems are listed in white font on the pastel colors is almost unreadable. I have to get up close to the screen to be able to see which system it is. Genesis, NES, Lynx, GG, N64 and most of the classic systems are almost indistinguishable from each other.

This isn't really all that important, but will we be able to see thread ratings (how many stars) from the list again someday or will we have to click on the threads from now on to see this?

I dropped my wireless keyboard and some key press or combination of key presses brought up a quick navigation pop-up for the forums to make it easy to get to other forums from the thread I was on. What do I need to do to bring this back up since this is a much-needed feature that I didn't know was available yet on CAG 3.0?
Are you talking about the quick navigation from the community link at the top of the page or something different? If that's what you're talking about the only way I know to pull it up is to click the navigation icon next to the community link.

Thanks. That seems to be what was triggered, though I don't know how my keyboard brought it up. Now it's a lot easier to get around the site in a similar manner to the forum jump menu on CAG 2.0. That needs to be moved and changed to be more obvious what it is since I would've never guessed that it was a forum quick jump menu.

Thanks. That seems to be what was triggered, though I don't know how my keyboard brought it up. Now it's a lot easier to get around the site in a similar manner to the forum jump menu on CAG 2.0. That needs to be moved and changed to be more obvious what it is since I would've never guessed that it was a forum quick jump menu.
Erm...http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/309612-cag-30-upgrade-news-updates-and-progress-dark-theme-feedback-are-live-everything-is-coming-back-soon/page-34#entry10922527...

Carry on.

bulleted and numbered lists don't always appear, rather I think the auto format tags aren't working properly.

test:

• b
  • u
  • l
  • l
  • e
  • t
  1. n
  2. u
  3. m
  4. b
  5. e
  6. r
  7. e
  8. d
edit: It seems numbered doesn't work

Yeah I mean who would of guessed that tiny icon next to "community" (I mean "community"? Really? We couldn't just use "forums"?) would open the drop down navigation box.

Am I missing something? Is that the universal icon for "navigation" or "drop-down box"?

I don't even bother posting in this suck thread because all the replies are condescending in nature with a tone of "how could you be so stupid not to know that...." "or what are are you talking about... this website is awesome and obviously everyone should like it as-is."

CAG doesn't have a huge user base all things considered (when you keep it in perspective with other sites) and there are over 1,800 posts in this thread.

If everything was gravy with the website and people found it to be as slick and enjoyable as the minority that were involved in its design/programming this particular thread wouldn't still need to exist

Yep, every single reply, all of them, every last one, I mean there just isn't one that isn't, is like that.   :roll:

I make the best of what is available on this site and have faith that Cheapy and John are working on things.  And you were never curious to see what happened if you pressed that thing?  I'm also saying that it's possible that questions have been answered in this thread by John, Cheapy, and other users.  Yeah, it might take some digging to find it.  

So to summarize: your giveaways are done, you don't like the site anymore, and you make it sound like your life is absolutely, positively, Lord Jesus, take me now because I just can't go on, RUINED because of it.

And yet most of us don't have that reaction.  How about that.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but the deals forum (or any of the forums) need icons back. On CAG 2.0 I could just look for the Best Buy icon and know it was Best Buy related thread. Now I need to read all the titles to see what each thread is about. It's working fine, but those little icons were great.

I make the best of what is available on this site and have faith that Cheapy and John are working on things. And you were never curious to see what happened if you pressed that thing? I'm also saying that it's possible that questions have been answered in this thread by John, Cheapy, and other users. Yeah, it might take some digging to find it.
Yeah... I'm not going to get into the middle of your feud there with GBA because I know its got some history, but I will say this in response to what I quoted from you:

Why is it that someone would be expected to hunt through this thread to find an answer to their question when it has as many pages of posts as it has? Why is it wrong for someone to ask a question about a new feature (that can be answered by ANYONE, not just you) instead of searching for an hour or more for a specific post, when they have no way of knowing if they'll even find anything? Do you seriously expect everyone to read this entire thread? If you really feel you need to respond that way then just leave it alone. Let someone else answer.

If its really that big of a problem, then why not put ALL the changes and additions to the site in one big list for everyone to look at instead of expecting them to go through this entire thread???

Ya know what I think would be cool?  If we could hide threads on the main deals page.  I actually count 11 threads on the front page right now that I would hide if I could.  Mostly ones involving PC games or clearance deals, which I'm just not interested in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying those threads don't serve a purpose, just that they'll never serve a purpose to me. If I could hide them, then my front page would be a lot less cluttered.

I understand that "Followed Content" serves a very similar purpose, but if I only consulted my "Followed Content" list then I'd miss out on new deals posts.

Just a thought that popped in my head.  Thanks.

So after looking at the thread I didn't see this come up, though I may have missed it.  Are all of the platforms going to be added to the collection filters, or is it just going to be those modern platforms?  I went to filter my NES games and there isn't an option.

Did something change recently to the Collection system? Because when I added stuff as recently as Aug 12, sorting by Date Added was working, but since then if I sort that way the just added stuff is mixed in and not at/near the top of the most recently added stuff.

Yeah... I'm not going to get into the middle of your feud there with GBA because I know its got some history, but I will say this in response to what I quoted from you:

Why is it that someone would be expected to hunt through this thread to find an answer to their question when it has as many pages of posts as it has? Why is it wrong for someone to ask a question about a new feature (that can be answered by ANYONE, not just you) instead of searching for an hour or more for a specific post, when they have no way of knowing if they'll even find anything? Do you seriously expect everyone to read this entire thread? If you really feel you need to respond that way then just leave it alone. Let someone else answer.

If its really that big of a problem, then why not put ALL the changes and additions to the site in one big list for everyone to look at instead of expecting them to go through this entire thread???
Because then people wouldn't be able to say "Hey, asshole, it's been answered before in this ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY FOUR PAGE thread. How fucking dare you ask that question again. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of Elderberries!"

That sums up the sentiment of at least 50% of the people that post on the CAG forums. lol

Not sure if this has been asked or is being worked on since I could not find anything in specific when searching this thread.

Any way that there can be an extra option tp allow users to select a "default" choice for "Posts Per Page" in our settings? I usually do not sign in unless I have to contribute to a discussion or reply to a conversation and the default posts per page is set to 30 when not signed in.

After signing in. the posts count switches to the preferred count set in your profile, but when you look at what page you are at you are no longer reading the same posts that you were before you signed in. So either you go backward a few posts because you are viewing less than 30 posts or you go forward posts if you are viewing more than 30 posts.

Currently the Posts Per Page choices are [10,25,50,100]. A "Default" choice that matches that of the non-signed in post per page count would be excellent. I know it is a minor thing, but it can get confusing when reading long threads and needing to change to a different page to reach the post you were at before you signed in.

Thanks.
I'd also like to see an option for 30 posts per page. Sometimes when I search on Google, CAG will show up in the results and when I click to get taken here, I don't see the same post with the result I saw on Google because my setting of 25 posts per page doesn't match the default non-signed in version that Google has in its result. So I end up having to either click through a few pages or search the topic after coming from Google.

My biggest complaint is this notification system. I just want to subscribe to a thread. I want to be able to click on new posts in my user cp and not have 44 notifications or a 'green' dot in my cp page. Such a PITA to use the site now.

At the risk of being told that this was answered 37 pages back, or something even more obvious, is there a way to display peoples CAG membership date the way it used to?  Personally feedback doesn't mean anything to me except if I'm trading, but I do find it useful to see at a glance if a poster is new to the site.

A FAQ thread would not be a bad idea at all so go ahead and start one.

My biggest complaint is this notification system. I just want to subscribe to a thread. I want to be able to click on new posts in my user cp and not have 44 notifications or a 'green' dot in my cp page. Such a PITA to use the site now.
I went into Profile Settings > Notifications Options > then pretty much unchecked everything

I can still go to My Content or Followed Content to see the Subscribed threads with the "New Post" button.

I have't received Tapatalk notifications for this board for quite some time.  Has this been broken or discontinued or disabled?

All I wish out of this would be daily or at least weekly updates on what is going on currently. I know it's very difficult and time consuming to upgrade a website but it has been since June 4th that the website has been updating and every time I ask a question from the person doing the work I don't get an answer. I just wanted to let out my opinion that's all with what's going on thus far because I use the website for awesome Lowballs and Holding My Collection but waiting this long to get updates is kinda ridiculous if you ask me.

A FAQ thread would not be a bad idea at all so go ahead and start one.
:roll:

You're right, an FAQ wouldn't be a bad idea... but the only thing we really need right now is for you to stop being a smartass.

People are going to ask questions that have already been answered. If you can't be helpful without being negative then just leave it alone. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

Just wanted to say I'm really glad that the notifications from threads are condensed into one entry now. Stuff kept getting lost amidst the dozens of updates from the same thread, so having it say "(username) and (x number) commented in (thread name)" is much much better :D

This is what I want. I want the stars on the 'content I follow' page for every thread when there is a new post. I only want 'notifications' for a few select threads. I don't want to see the green dots. How do I set it up?

What happened to "Top Deals" on the front page?  They used to be listed by chronological order,  now they're completely mixed up.  It's been like that for a couple of days now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back