CAG Arcade Stick Thread II: World Warrior

[quote name='docvinh']So what do you guys think of the new Mortal Kombat stick?

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/12/500x_mortal_kombat_fight_sticks.jpg[/QUOTE]

I'm not at all familiar with that button layout. I'm guessing that any arcades I went to (although by the time MK3 hit I was not really going to arcades anymore) used a street fighter cabinet and just put Mortal Kombat in there. Keeping in mind that I grew up in the Appleton area of Wisconsin. Not really the hotbed of the arcade scene.

[quote name='Milkyman']This was originally the art i was going to use on my HRAP but since i used non clear buttons i had these buttons laying around forever and finally had something to put them in thanks to walmart. also, my first time doing lamilabel and i must say I hate it. Gonna probably have to replace it with a vinyl print in the future

I also got the wrong mounting plate on my ls-32 so I'll have to wait to complete it[/QUOTE]

My wife works with vinyl daily, do you think that would really work? Maybe I can get her to print my art out.

[quote name='ZForce915']Does anyone know of a good way to test that your buttons are working properly after you do the mod? Someone should make an XBL Indie game to do that...[/QUOTE]

You test your buttons on PC. Go to property of the controller and it has a whole animated GUI of all your buttons and directional inputs. They flash when you push them.

500x_mnk_pad_360_ang-2_op.jpg

500x_mk_pad_ps3-360_open_op.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5713975/designer-makes-an-american-fighting-stick-for-an-american-fighting-game

Very cool design, though I wish they'd lose the block button. That never added anything to the gameplay.

[quote name='eastx']
Very cool design, though I wish they'd lose the block button. That never added anything to the gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Agreed ill probably get it on the PS3 especially with the pending release of the MK Trilogy in HD.

Tried using the Daigo way of holding the TE and for ryu i did a lot better, but my dudley suffered greatly. Maybe i just need to get used to it, but all i wanted to do was switch back to normal.

I tried using the Markman way of holding the TE and I got laid.

Maybe I need to get used to it but all I wanted to do was be a loner.

Mad Catz Holiday Sale! Buy One Get One Free!

December 17, 2010

Mad Catz is having one last sale! Just in time for the holidays! Right now if you purchase the original Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition (PS3), the Marvel VS. Capcom Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition (Xbox 360) or the Tatsunoko VS. Capcom FightStick you get a second FightStick FREE! Full details at the GameShark store link below:

In addition to those savings, use special coupon code ” HOLIDAY ” (case sensitive) for an additional 10% off your purchase price and FREE FedEx Ground Shipping! Please note, this offer is only available to the continental United States.

So i finally ordered all my buttons, new circle gate,and new ball top with artwork coming in from gamesongrafix or formally known as Mame Marquee.

The one thing i hate about taking apart this stick is all the epoxy on the screws. Its a pain in the ass to deal with and unless you strip the epoxy first. So anyone doing this the first time, try to get rid of the epoxy first before you try to unscrew it. I almost stripped a screw trying to screw it with the epoxy still on. Otherwise, this is a very very easy mod.

if anyone is going to get rid of the art work. I suggest you use a spudger(thanks to Chris Ainsworth aka driph for the tip). You can get one off ebay for a buck free ship and it really gets under the label. Goo Gone will be your second best friend when getting rid of the adhesive that the label leaves behind.

now its just time to wait for my shipment to come in from Lizard Lick and GamesonGrafix. should be done by next week or when ever the shipment comes in.

Isn't she lovely? 1996 Konami HYPERSTICK for the original PlayStation!

166453_476325183882_507353882_5892856_1355668_n.jpg

164161_476329628882_507353882_5892889_2568604_n.jpg

Full Seimitsu (LS-56-01 and PS-15s)...

Shout out to www.jap-sai.com - Home for helping me locate one. Shout outs to NRX for the heads up on them as well!

With THIS STICK. I only need 4 more PS1 generation arcade sticks to have a complete collection of boxed ones (to my knowledge at least)... :3

[quote name='nas6034']The website is ARCADESPAREPARTS.COM

If anyone in NYC area orders let me know maybe we can order together to save on shipping. My order priced out is much much cheaper than lizardlick.[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to say I got all my parts as mentioned before today(14 days exact from shipping HK to NYC. The Sanwa Parts were in perfect condition and well packaged. Thank gods it came before xmas. Everything went smooth in changing one stick..too lazy to do the other right now.

Bit of a weird question - is there a way to disable the top panel on a MadCatz SE in a way that you'd have to open the stick case to re-enable it? I'm setting it up at an event and want to prevent people from getting to the 360 dashboard. Is there a pin header I can unplug?

[quote name='StarCreator']Bit of a weird question - is there a way to disable the top panel on a MadCatz SE in a way that you'd have to open the stick case to re-enable it? I'm setting it up at an event and want to prevent people from getting to the 360 dashboard. Is there a pin header I can unplug?[/QUOTE]

you can just use the lock switch. Flip that switch to lock and the Xbox button is locked to go back to the dashboard.

EDIT to not double post:
i blogged about it but here my finished product. Again, i messed up my mame marquee cut so i went to lami label but i did get 80lb cardstock and explain what i was going to do in the blog lol.

joystick_is_finished_____sorta_by_integralsmatic-d36007e.jpg

anyway for a full rundown check out my latest blog entry. thanks and tell me what you guys think. The only thing is...next time i will move the holes a little down more so it doesnt cover kaguya's mouth.

[quote name='integralsmatic']you can just use the lock switch. Flip that switch to lock and the Xbox button is locked to go back to the dashboard.[/QUOTE]

But that doesn't stop people from just flipping the switch back to re-enable it. I need a way to semi-permanently disable it for four days straight. This is to stop people from getting into the dashboard (I'm also going to physically block the eject/power buttons on the console).

Are you going to be in front of this thing during the event? If not you, is someone else? If people are monitoring the station, I doubt anything will go wrong. Plus, why would anyone want to go to the dash, anyway?

[quote name='yyr']Are you going to be in front of this thing during the event? If not you, is someone else? If people are monitoring the station, I doubt anything will go wrong. Plus, why would anyone want to go to the dash, anyway?[/QUOTE]

No, I doubt I or anyone else I know will be able to stand in front of it the whole 80+ hours straight it'll be running, and people have ALWAYS gone into the dash and messed with the other stuff on the console, even if said stuff is impossible to play on an arcade stick. I lost my Shadow Complex save because of this one year. I wouldn't be looking into this if it weren't already a problem requiring a solution.

At least I don't have to worry about this on the PS3 since I happen to have a PC USB gamepad that maps 100% correct, just without a Home button.

So, back to the simple question - can I simply unplug the wires leading to the top panel from the main PCB? That's all I'm interested in discussing.

If I were you, I'd still move all my saves onto USB or something... I actually keep my profile and all my saves on a Memory Unit to avoid that sort of catastrophe.

...you wouldn't happen to be talking about MAGFest, would you? =)

[quote name='StarCreator']can I simply unplug the wires leading to the top panel from the main PCB?[/QUOTE]

Anyway, I just happened to have my just-modded SE/TvC stick with me, so I was able to take a look and try this out. I learned something today! This will likely look a bit different from yours... my parts are different and I didn't drill the hole for the headset jack yet, so the headset board is not in place:

0105111719a.jpg

You want to disconnect the one connector in the bottom-right corner. Try to GENTLY scrape off as much of the glue as possible first. Scrape up, not down...this way you won't slip and scratch the PCB by mistake. I used my nails and an unfolded paper clip to do it. After you've removed enough of it, gently wiggle out the connector from the top. Don't pull too hard, and make sure you're pulling on the connector and not the socket. Sorry if I'm giving totally unnecessary advice, but better to be safe than sorry...the price of SEs is shooting upwards lately, as I'm pretty sure they're no longer being made.

When I plugged in the stick after disconnecting that one plug, the P1 light lit up, and the lever and all buttons (including Start and Back) were all active, but the Guide button no longer functioned. I tested this on my computer and not an actual 360...I don't see why it would be any different, but you may want to try it on the actual console before the event.

[quote name='yyr']...you wouldn't happen to be talking about MAGFest, would you? =)[/QUOTE]

Yep~ Should be there all four days, work permitting.

[quote name='yyr']Anyway, I just happened to have my just-modded SE/TvC stick with me, so I was able to take a look and try this out. I learned something today! This will likely look a bit different from yours... my parts are different and I didn't drill the hole for the headset jack yet, so the headset board is not in place:

You want to disconnect the one connector in the bottom-right corner. Try to GENTLY scrape off as much of the glue as possible first. Scrape up, not down...this way you won't slip and scratch the PCB by mistake. I used my nails and an unfolded paper clip to do it. After you've removed enough of it, gently wiggle out the connector from the top. Don't pull too hard, and make sure you're pulling on the connector and not the socket. Sorry if I'm giving totally unnecessary advice, but better to be safe than sorry...the price of SEs is shooting upwards lately, as I'm pretty sure they're no longer being made.

When I plugged in the stick after disconnecting that one plug, the P1 light lit up, and the lever and all buttons (including Start and Back) were all active, but the Guide button no longer functioned. I tested this on my computer and not an actual 360...I don't see why it would be any different, but you may want to try it on the actual console before the event.[/QUOTE]

Just tried this myself, works like a charm, thanks!

And I have an LS-32 in mine too :3

So I'm sure this has been talked about to death but... my Best Buy has the Tekken 6 PS3 bundle for $38. Worth it? I doubt I'll be putting some heavy duty use into it. I got a 360 SF4 SE last year and it's only got a few hours on it. Then again, i have a lot more PS3 fighting games... but still. Also, does it work with backwards compatibility?

167529_488116573882_507353882_6097003_591865_n.jpg

Made by Hori for the PlayStation title EHRGEIZ: GOD BLESS THE RING, Squaresoft. Using the same case as the command stick PS.

With the EHRGEIZ Arcade Stick... I now have 245(I think) in my collection. Someone reassure me that I'm sane. Please?

[quote name='MarkMan']

With the EHRGEIZ Arcade Stick... I now have 245(I think) in my collection. Someone reassure me that I'm sane. Please?[/QUOTE]

That ship sailed 240 sticks ago.

[quote name='Chronis']So I'm sure this has been talked about to death but... my Best Buy has the Tekken 6 PS3 bundle for $38. Worth it? I doubt I'll be putting some heavy duty use into it. I got a 360 SF4 SE last year and it's only got a few hours on it. Then again, i have a lot more PS3 fighting games... but still. Also, does it work with backwards compatibility?[/QUOTE]

At $38 it isn't a bad deal at all. Though since you say you do not play fighters that much, the you might want to back off. No need to buy something you wont play often. As far as I know, none of the sticks are backwards compatible. Don't quote me on it, but I only have a 40gig ps3. I still got my ps2 for the old games.

HOWEVER, if you plan to pick up MvC3 then wait till they start pulling out those new madcatz sticks. We haven't seen them yet, but everyone knows they are coming.

Markman: Stop hording and give us some free sticks! Or you could at least tell us which stick you have is your favorite and which one you put the most time into.

[quote name='Chronis']So I'm sure this has been talked about to death but... my Best Buy has the Tekken 6 PS3 bundle for $38. Worth it? I doubt I'll be putting some heavy duty use into it. I got a 360 SF4 SE last year and it's only got a few hours on it. Then again, i have a lot more PS3 fighting games... but still. Also, does it work with backwards compatibility?[/QUOTE]

I paid $16 for that bundle and was pissed, the stick felt like shit and broke quickly too. I guess if you won't be using it a lot then it's fine. I never had a chance to see if it was BC, sorry.

[quote name='chickenbutt']The ball part on my stick keeps unscrewing everytime I use it :mad:
Could anyone help?[/QUOTE]

You have to open it up. Fine yourself a good size flathead to hold the bolt in place while the other hand tightens the ball top.

Very simple to do.

[quote name='MarkMan']
167529_488116573882_507353882_6097003_591865_n.jpg

Made by Hori for the PlayStation title EHRGEIZ: GOD BLESS THE RING, Squaresoft. Using the same case as the command stick PS.

With the EHRGEIZ Arcade Stick... I now have 245(I think) in my collection. Someone reassure me that I'm sane. Please?[/QUOTE]

WHERE THE HECK DO YOU STORE 245 arcade sticks? Would love to see pictures.

[quote name='j-cart']At $38 it isn't a bad deal at all. Though since you say you do not play fighters that much, the you might want to back off. No need to buy something you wont play often. As far as I know, none of the sticks are backwards compatible. Don't quote me on it, but I only have a 40gig ps3. I still got my ps2 for the old games.

HOWEVER, if you plan to pick up MvC3 then wait till they start pulling out those new madcatz sticks. We haven't seen them yet, but everyone knows they are coming.[/QUOTE]

True, but I could swallow roughly $40 on a stick (plus game) that I'll just use occasionally. $130+ for the inevitable MvC3 TE stick is a bit harder to swallow.

[quote name='distgfx']I paid $16 for that bundle and was pissed, the stick felt like shit and broke quickly too. I guess if you won't be using it a lot then it's fine. I never had a chance to see if it was BC, sorry.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, don't like the sound of this. Yeah, my biggest worry was that it's a Hori stick, and the old 360 Hori stick wasn't exactly loved by everyone. Seems like this one has the same problems then.

Aha! I found this thread finally!!!(Glad to see you again Mark, no stalks. :p)
My name is Ben Fong and I dual mod/ triple mod compatibility with different console on arcade controllers as well as collected over 200+ controllers since 2008. Currently I have 4 with me at the moment, and most of my work is in Shoryuken.com.
I'm glad to be a member of CAG and I hope I can provide some help to this thread in the near future. Here is what my work has been over the years of stickbuilding.

[quote name='networkingyuppy']Aha! I found this thread finally!!!(Glad to see you again Mark, no stalks. :p)
My name is Ben Fong and I dual mod/ triple mod compatibility with different console on arcade controllers as well as collected over 200+ controllers since 2008. Currently I have 4 with me at the moment, and most of my work is in Shoryuken.com.
I'm glad to be a member of CAG and I hope I can provide some help to this thread in the near future. Here is what my work has been over the years of stickbuilding.
[/QUOTE]

:applause::bow::whee:

Welcome to CAG Ben. We do hope you enjoy the site and the forums!

you guys at Shoryuken are just the business with these joysticks. I wish i had 1/8 the skill you had in modding and crafting these bad boys. Just in awe at the work you have posted. You sir are tremendous!

Hey I've got a weird question for the stick players in here. Is there any small, mass-produced piece of furniture that is the perfect height for putting an arcade stick on? Like something I could pick up at an Ikea or Walmart? I've seen people use folding chairs but I find them to be too low, and using my lap isn't practical (2-player stick). I like to leave my stick set up by a spare TV so that anyone can just sit down and start playing.

Right now I'm actually using an old keyboard stand. It works well because I can drop the stick into it and there's a lip on the stick body that holds it in place. But the legs on the stand spread out pretty far, and the whole thing ends up taking way more horizontal space then I'd like.

I've looked around for little sets of dresser drawers and such but they usually end up being too high. Something like an elementary school desk might be good, since you could get in close and put your legs under it, but I'm not sure where one would actually buy those.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Hey I've got a weird question for the stick players in here. Is there any small, mass-produced piece of furniture that is the perfect height for putting an arcade stick on? Like something I could pick up at an Ikea or Walmart? I've seen people use folding chairs but I find them to be too low, and using my lap isn't practical (2-player stick). I like to leave my stick set up by a spare TV so that anyone can just sit down and start playing.

Right now I'm actually using an old keyboard stand. It works well because I can drop the stick into it and there's a lip on the stick body that holds it in place. But the legs on the stand spread out pretty far, and the whole thing ends up taking way more horizontal space then I'd like.

I've looked around for little sets of dresser drawers and such but they usually end up being too high. Something like an elementary school desk might be good, since you could get in close and put your legs under it, but I'm not sure where one would actually buy those.[/QUOTE]

So if I'm understanding correctly, are you standing up while playing? If so, how tall are you?

[quote name='ZForce915']So if I'm understanding correctly, are you standing up while playing? If so, how tall are you?[/QUOTE]Nah I'm sitting down, I have the keyboard stand as low as it goes.

[quote name='coolsteel']Have you looked into the DJHero stands on clearance at Best Buy? How long is the stick you're trying to use ?[/QUOTE]
Stick is 21.5" and pretty bulky, as it has 2 sets of controls on it. I found a pic where you can sort of see it in context:
stickstand.jpg

What are one's options for a PS3 stick if you don't want to pay >$40?

I want to play some of the PSN stuff like Xmen, Final Fight, and Scott Pilgrim, but don't think it would be paying $80+ for a stick.

Too bad there aren't more shooters for the PSN.

[quote name='2DMention']What are one's options for a PS3 stick if you don't want to pay >$40?

I want to play some of the PSN stuff like Xmen, Final Fight, and Scott Pilgrim, but don't think it would be paying $80+ for a stick.

Too bad there aren't more shooters for the PSN.[/QUOTE]Hate to be that guy, but if your stick budget is less than the price of a standard PS3 controller then your options are gonna be pretty slim!

But with that said, you might wanna jump on this: http://www.amazon.com/Tekken-Limite..._4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295380523&sr=1-4

$46.44 for a stick and a free game!

[quote name='coolsteel']DJHero stand is 25 so that should do it, BB is getting rid of them for 4.99 so you might want to check around.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the tip! Might need something sturdier than this but I may as well look into it.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Hate to be that guy, but if your stick budget is less than the price of a standard PS3 controller then your options are gonna be pretty slim!

But with that said, you might wanna jump on this: http://www.amazon.com/Tekken-Limite..._4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295380523&sr=1-4

$46.44 for a stick and a free game!

Thanks for the tip! Might need something sturdier than this but I may as well look into it.[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt spend the money for that stick. CAG community has been tearing that stick to shreds. I think Chronis a couple pages back...has a nice thing to say about it.

But then again....if the person is just going to play arcade games on it...than any stick will do.

Use code 'WARZONE3' on the TVC FightStick and get B1G1 FREE! 2 sticks + 30% OFF for $42 before tax/shipping! - http://$$$$$$$/7oKP6E

[quote name='MarkMan']Use code 'WARZONE3' on the TVC FightStick and get B1G1 FREE! 2 sticks + 30% OFF for $42 before tax/shipping! - http://$$$$$$$/7oKP6E[/QUOTE]

Damn, I wanna do that just to gut them and use the shellls.

bread's done
Back