CAG Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if HRAP2 SA need to modded with sanwa stuff or it comes with it already. I tried searching around and some places are saying only the stick is sanway while other sites saying the buttons are too.

[quote name='Knoxximus']Where did you come across it? More importantly, how much did it hit you for?[/quote]

Got it on another forum for $40. Comes with the box and everything.

[quote name='akuma001']i was never a fan of solderless hacks since the wiring can fall out from vibration or just as easily move around or whatever so i just solder to the back like this http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/akuma001/aseriessoldering.jpg with 24-26 solid awg and just hot glue over it so it doesn't move.[/quote]
Well, I happened to have found a versA PSone controller. With a little modification, I made it solderable. Much like you did, I ripped off that plastic housing for the pins. Soldered all the pins together and now I have a dual pcb stick. Also hot glued as you said once I tested out all the buttons. Sure is hell of a less worry for me.

[quote name='JEKKI']I still got it.

the buttons arent as cleanly laid out as I wish, like it's not perfect.

and I dont like the stick since I'm used to it being a little stiffer, I would need to replace the spring with a hard one.

why they dont make hard springs standard in happ competition stick I do not understand...[/QUOTE]

Oh shit, I remember the 2 Stupid Dogs stick. That thing had me fuckin' rollin'. So cool.

[quote name='dizzlle01']Anyone know if HRAP2 SA need to modded with sanwa stuff or it comes with it already. I tried searching around and some places are saying only the stick is sanway while other sites saying the buttons are too.[/QUOTE]

Everything in the SA is Sanwa. That's what makes it "SA".

Nothing is hard about it. It's just more people prefer clicky Japanese style at the standard height.

If you want an American style stick you need to go custom nowadays. You can try hitting up Arcade in a a Box, but the wait is about 1 month now.

[quote name='dizzlle01']Anyone know if HRAP2 SA need to modded with sanwa stuff or it comes with it already. I tried searching around and some places are saying only the stick is sanway while other sites saying the buttons are too.[/quote]

anyone?

Markman said earlier, or maybe someone else, that the SA indicates all Sanwa parts. So it should be set out of the box.\

Edit: Ah you beat me!

[quote name='MarkMan']The FightStick TE is better than the HRAP EX.[/quote]

Good. I guess I'll spend the extra $20 for the Fightstick TE. Are both the 360 and PS3 versions for the Fighstick TE wireless? I would like to have it wireless and work with the pc; however, I can't find information on the Madcatz site.

$50-60 is worth it. Even $70 if it's in good condition.

I wouldn't go over that.

The most I paid for one was $70, but it was complete mint in box.

Alrighty. I caved and put my pre-order down on the PS3 TE Fightstick today. I'm waiting on some full specs from Madcatz before placing my order for the Fightpads. I do wish that I could specify which fightpad I want from Gamestop, but it seems like that's not possible right now. That's annoying. You could do that with even the NubyTech controllers, if I remember correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I just use regular old 2x4's for a box? That's what I have in the garage. I was thinking it would look cool to stain them dark instead of painting.

Where do you get lexan? Is it expensive? Does it go like wood->art->lexan?

guys i signed up to gamestop there charging $19.99 for shipping to uk which comes out around £13 and the Street Fighter IV FightStick itself £54 not bad which add upto roughly £67 do you think it worth it

I have to buy Lexan sheets at Lowes for like $40... But I can get 6 or so sticks out of that. They also sell tiny sheets but they are too small.

I got 2 sheets of this flexi glass stuff at hobby lobby for 1.60 a piece. I don't know if it is the right kind, but it was worth a shot for that cheap.

I also found this artists sketch box that would have made a good stick box but I didn't want to drop 20 on it.

Gah, all the different button types on LL confuse me. I know I want sanwa or seimetsu, I just don't know which kind. What is wrong with the HAPP again?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DarthPuma']I got 2 sheets of this flexi glass stuff at hobby lobby for 1.60 a piece. I don't know if it is the right kind, but it was worth a shot for that cheap.

I also found this artists sketch box that would have made a good stick box but I didn't want to drop 20 on it.

Gah, all the different button types on LL confuse me. I know I want sanwa or seimetsu, I just don't know which kind. What is wrong with the HAPP again?[/quote]
The different button types are usually the sizes in mm. Know that Sanwa is mainly for fighters while Seimitsu is preferred for shooters. HAPP usually has a bat top and usually circle gate instead of a square gate.

[quote name='pesser']guys i signed up to gamestop there charging $19.99 for shipping to uk which comes out around £13 and the Street Fighter IV FightStick itself £54 not bad which add upto roughly £67 do you think it worth it[/quote]

Sure. Except I have no idea how many pounds equals a dollar.

If anyone is looking for good sticks, my homie Stridajin is selling on SRK (need to be a member to view)...

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=169629

He has the following for sale:

Tekken 3 Hori (PS1)
Tekken Tag Hori (PS2)
Namco Arcade Stick (PS1)
Hori Real Arcade PRO 3 (PS3)
Hori Real Arcade PRO 3 Amazon.co.jp Edition (PS3)
Virtua Stick High Grade (PS3)
Official Dreamcast Arcade Stick (DC)

Play-Asia has preorders up for both of the SFIV Hori sticks (only being released in Japan).

Xbox 360 - Street Fighter IV Fighting Stick EX2 < click for more info
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-dd-70-36al.html

2928171939_b8a6e0123c_o.jpg

PS3 - Street Fighter IV Real Arcade PRO 3
< click for more info
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-70-36ak.html

2929032494_f69d9ea405_o.jpg

Both sticks are scheduled to ship on the same day SF4 goes on sale in Japan (Feb. 12th).

I'm going around today to try and find a wood box that would work for a stick. I'm gonna try and find an old floor speaker or something.

On that note, if anyone has any extra pushbuttons, joysticks, or pcb's, shoot me a PM.

[quote name='DarthPuma']I'm going around today to try and find a wood box that would work for a stick. I'm gonna try and find an old floor speaker or something.

On that note, if anyone has any extra pushbuttons, joysticks, or pcb's, shoot me a PM.[/QUOTE]

I have some Happ parts, dunno if that is what you're looking for or not. If you're looking for a DIY project, I have a Street Fighter Edition stick case, and all the Happ parts (comp. joystick and 8 buttons) to do it yourself. I was lazy and never fixed it, but it would probably be a good first-time modding stick.

Lemme know if you're interested.

What exactly does making a ps2/360 stick entail? I know you need the PCB from a mad katz stick and then the PS1 pcb (does a dual shock 1 work? That's all I got), but like, is the wiring a lot harder?

You would need a PSone H (look on back) series controller if you want to solder it (i recommend it). A series are mostly in part solderless mods (don't recommend non-solderless mods).

I had an A series controller but ripped off the pin slot and made it solderable. However, I couldn't do this on my other A series controller because the pins weren't soldered but already within the pcb.

Go here...

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_wiring.html

I believe a certain 360 controller can be hacked as well.

Pretty much just have to have a 360 hackable pcb and PSone pcb, solder both to respective buttons and stick inputs, and solder the voltage signals and common (universal) grounds together.

I need to make a 24.5" x 11.5" .tiff image for the custom art on my stick. What's the easiest way to do that? Like, I've got a handle on the actual "design" part (using MS Publisher to lay out the background and image assets and stuff). But how to I just create an image file that's the exact size I need?

I've got as far as installing this "PDFcreator" that acts like a virtual printer. It can output to a .tiff file but I still can't figure out how to create an image the correct size. It seems like I can just choose from a bunch of pre-set image sizes to "print" at. Any help would be much appreciated!

I know I'm being really paranoid, but this is the email I got from Gamestop confirming my reservation:

Thank you for your recent reservation. We show that you reserved the following:

PS3 Street Fighter Tour. Stick (SO)

The "SO" doesn't stand for, um, Sold Out, does it?

[quote name='option.iv']You would need a PSone H (look on back) series controller if you want to solder it (i recommend it). A series are mostly in part solderless mods (don't recommend non-solderless mods).

I had an A series controller but ripped off the pin slot and made it solderable. However, I couldn't do this on my other A series controller because the pins weren't soldered but already within the pcb.

Go here...

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_wiring.html

I believe a certain 360 controller can be hacked as well.

Pretty much just have to have a 360 hackable pcb and PSone pcb, solder both to respective buttons and stick inputs, and solder the voltage signals and common (universal) grounds together.[/QUOTE]

That makes soldering look really hard. Is it that bad?

Let's say I just want to do the PS2 stick for now and add in the 360 functionality later. Is that doable?

Hmm, soldering isn't that bad. Soldering is essentially creating metal bonds for wires to other wires or to a circuit board. If you youtube a video on soldering, you can learn it in like 5 minutes.

As for pcb diagrams and where to solder, just make note of the previous connections and refer to those diagrams and you should be fine. Basically if a certain point on the pcb is the place to solder button x, solder your designated button x to that point on the pcb. No real need for electrical knowledge, except knowing that getting shocked is BAD.

Adding on something to the solder point is possible, but usually not recommended because the strength of the solder joint usually weakens. But I did it anyway with my PS3/PS2 stick. So yeah, you can always add 360 functionality later, just try to make it easier for yourself and keep the solder points easily accessible after you complete the PS2 end.

Alright, sounds good. I was planning on soldering the buttons on as I detached the old buttons so I didn't fuck up.

How do you know which button to solder to which place on the pcb? Like, does it matter where my x goes, or my square?

On the diagrams, you can see where to solder button x or whatever button you're looking at. As for the actual placement of the button, it's up to you, it could be anywhere on the box. Just keep in mind that that button is tied to whatever button on the pcb.

Mine was originally:
L1 [] /\ R1
L2 X ( ) R2

But changed it to:
[] /\ R1 L1
X ( ) R2 L2

Just got done making the best box ever. I'm not Asian, so no hot anime chicks as my art ;). Sorry for the crappy pics, I'm take better ones once I finish installing the guts. Doing the wood was pretty fun, painting was not. I'll recap my works in the blog post soon.

[IMG-C=4838]3712[/IMG-C]
[IMG-C=4838]3713[/IMG-C]
[IMG-C=4838]3714[/IMG-C]

That is a freaking cool stick!

I still don't know what art I'd want to go with. I don't like anime, don't love a specific fighting game/fighter, so I don't know what would work.

I give up!

I give up trying to cut lexan... it's impossible!!

I was trying to salvage the parts I had from my last blog post, but when you are a millimeter over, taking that one millimeter off is impossible. You can file and sad all day and your hand will come off before the plastic does

:bomb: :bomb:

so now I gotta go put another $11 for a new sheet and start all over!!!

in other news...

20ks2s.jpg

o3fdg.jpg

fz57gi.jpg

looks good, but in reality the 1-3/16'' and 15/16'' holes STILL have wiggle room in them for the 30mm and 24mm buttons respectively.

so at the top of the panel, one edge of the buttons actually sinks into the hole while the other edge rests atop it.

I dont understand why since these sizes are what everybody recommends... controlcommerce, how did you cut the holes for the buttons on your stick??

That's weird, 1-3/16" and 15/16" are the right measurements. Are you using shape bits or a hole saws? I used hole saws and they actually were to bit too small. I had to wrap 80 grit sandpaper around a screw driver and sand the holes out by hand. It sucked but it worked.

I would like to use one of these as art for my stick:
Weezer_Pinkerton.jpg

Neutral_Milk_Hotel_-_In_the_Aeroplane_Over_the_Sea.jpg

Do you think it's possible without making them look assy? Those are my two favorite albums ever and I would love one of them to be the art for my stick.

I don't know what size it will be, if I build, similar dimensions to the street fighter anniversary stick. I might just buy an empty SFA stick box from a user here.

[quote name='controlcommerce']That's weird, 1-3/16" and 15/16" are the right measurements. Are you using shape bits or a hole saws? I used hole saws and they actually were to bit too small. I had to wrap 80 grit sandpaper around a screw driver and sand the holes out by hand. It sucked but it worked.[/QUOTE]I bought spade bits... a part of me wants to try the hole saw but it's like wtf why would there be two different 1-3/16'' measurements... that's crazy talk!

The Pinkerton photo is perfect, Darthpuma. That large space in the black sky is perfect room for the buttons and joystick. If you use In the Aeroplane, the buttons will cut off most of the art work. I have another white box in the making, might go good with OK Computer's album art.

That is crazy talk Jekki but it might be true because those measurements are right. Start a thread up in SRK and see what others have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back