CAG Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='controlcommerce']Are you talking about the pull down triggers right by the bumpers? I thinking your talking about button you press down inside the analog stick. I'm confused, lol.
[/QUOTE]

Dude... I am talking about the triggers. I don't know why you're getting hung up on that.

Thanks for posting the link to the SlagCoin diagram. I've seen it and unfortunately it doesn't really say what needs to be done for the triggers. It's awfully vague.

You said the word "analog," naturally I thought of the button inside the analog stick, lol. All that talk before was so that I could understand what your meaning. Now that I do, I can tell you how to solder it. Just use the solder that's already on the PCB. Place the wire on top of the middle one and use the heat of the soldering gun to melt the solder around it. Be careful not to connect the three spots while melting. Easiest button on the PCB because your use the preexisting solder.

Edit: also fuck those buttons BustaUppa:

[IMG-C=4838]3936[/IMG-C]

[quote name='SmallWind']On the X-arcade if you plan on keeping the bottom row buttons as default. You can just switch out the default microswitches with the HAPP cherry switches.[/QUOTE]Yeah I think I might go ahead and order the buttons, and see what akuma001 can do with the bottom row. Worst case scenario, I can keep the stock buttons but at least use the new cherry switches like you said.

However, this looks encouraging at least... akuma001 showed me a mod that another guy did:
[IMG-C=4901]3940[/IMG-C]
[IMG-C=4901]3941[/IMG-C]
The left side even has the same color layout for the buttons that I'd be using (except the black plunger would be replaced by a black button)!! The only question would be whether that guy actually closed the bottom of the stick or not.
[quote name='SmallWind']For BustaUppa:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=5866956&postcount=6618[/QUOTE]Arcade In A Box! I almost went for one of those. The possibility of dual-modding (360 and PS2!) my existing controller won me over though.

[quote name='MusicNoteLess']What gauge wire do you use to connect the buttons to the PCB?[/QUOTE]

I use 30 gauge wire, but most people use 22-26, I think.

Good read. Thanks. I've seen the Norris site once but never went ahead and looked any further into it. Its awesome knowing there is a solder-free PCB I can buy. I think I might have fucked mine up when I was unsoldering the buttons. Right now I have buttons and a stick, might just need the box and PCB in the future. I hope the Canadian dollar gets better, I'm still looking at over a $150 for the box, pcb, extra buttons and mounting plate. Its pretty killer that the Cthulu has a power line. I may have to get some clear buttons and some LEDs if I go through with this.

I'll explain a bit more in depth on that after CES.

Also, anyone here familiar with EDGE magazine? It's a video game magazine based in the UK, but it does see some distribution in the US.

There's going to be an interview/feature on the arcade sticks in the upcoming issue (hits newsstands mid Jan...)...

Check it out if you guys have the chance!

Yeah, I went on SRK and starting reading that it's still unclear at this point so I kinda found the answer myself lol.

I haven't really read EDGE much, but I did like it the few times I picked it up.

[quote name='MarkMan']I'll explain a bit more in depth on that after CES.

Also, anyone here familiar with EDGE magazine? It's a video game magazine based in the UK, but it does see some distribution in the US.

There's going to be an interview/feature on the arcade sticks in the upcoming issue (hits newsstands mid Jan...)...

Check it out if you guys have the chance![/quote]

I love edge magazine and I'll be sure to read when it hits. one of the few gaming mags I don't mind reading.

Ok, before I begin soldering, I'm trying to get a grip of what these "signal" and "ground" terms mean. What exactly am I supposed to do first when it comes to soldering wires on a Mad Catz 360 retro arcade stick?

man making sticks is a PAIN IN THE AZZ!!!

seriously, I hate routing and drilling and shyt!!! I'd post pics but I'm way too tired...

after this stick... no more!!!

Music Man>>

signal is like the electrical signal that gets sent from the push of a button to the PCB that registers the button being pushed... so like u press the A button and the PCB registers the A button being pressed and responds appropriately.

Ground... I have no idea what it is lol... I jus kno that it's something that has to be wired (I learned from following examples)

Thanks JEKKI, I got the gist of that. I'm more concerned if I have to have the ground wire in a specific order or can I start soldering it at any point as long as it makes contact through all functions. >_

you can connect the ground in any order, as long as everything is connected together.

I believe some some PCBs will have separate grounds for different buttons, so like you would have to connect all of those buttons to the same ground, then another set of buttons to a separate ground

but it's said that the MadCatz pads all have common ground so you can connect a wire to the ground on the PCB, then take that wire and connect it to each of the buttons. I believe they call it "daisy chain" or something

Sweet. I've been playing around with the wiring on the JLF and buttons. I'm starting to get the "ground" concept now by testing out different buttons. Hopfully the final product will come out functional.

Not sure if this counts as an endorsement... but I saw this earlier on IRC...

[10:59] oh hey
[10:59] i played on the new TE madcats sf4 sticks
[10:59] now thats art
[10:59] worth the $150?
[10:59] hell yes
[10:59] thats a good endorsement
[10:59] alright, imma preorder one
[10:59] approved eh?
[11:00] everything on that stick is high quality
[11:00] * FMJaguar changes topic to 'mrwizard=the #capcom ducker | +v = retard | SF4 TE Stick appoved by BoC'
[11:00] wizardi
[11:00] i have a pic of me playing on it
[11:00] i'll have to up it after lunch

So I have a signed 8 x 10 of CaliPower playing on the sticks, $100 BIN. Any takers?

I'm having some trouble accessing the links in the OP, and this thread is too huge to read through..

Anyone have any links for building an arcade stick housing? I want to make one from scratch and put the buttons in and wire it and everything.

I finished my latest arcade stick. This is a Street Fighter Anniversary Stick mod. I've replaced the buttons and stick with Happ Ms.Pac-Man/Galaga stick and Happ Concave buttons. The PCB is a Madcatz retro arcade controller for the Xbox 360. I changed the Lexan on top to fit with the 6-button design and moved Start/Back to the left side, along with the Guide button. This is great for Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Frogger, and most 4-directional games.

[IMG-C=4906]3978[/IMG-C]
Whoa, an arcade stick that isn't meant for fighting games?​

[IMG-C=4906]3980[/IMG-C]
Man the lighting is bad on this picture. The buttons are Back, Guide, and Start.​

[IMG-C=4906]3979[/IMG-C]
My wiring is usually cleaner but I left a bunch of slack because no one has figured out how to wire the analog triggers yet. I'll go back and add that functionality if I ever learn how.​

Hey guys.. first time stick maker.. long time admirer.

So, I was working on my stick earlier today, got it all lubed up and ready to go. So I pull my tool out and start to get it real hot...

long story short I accidentally soldered my penis to my JoJo's Bizarre Adventure CPS3 jamma PCB! I don't know what to do! The FAQ I was reading while doing this doesn't mention anything about this... it hurts and the solder is slowly cooling! Help!

Do you guys think this would be big enough for an arcade stick?
12-06-08_20461.jpg

I used my hand for size reference.

Went to the garage to see what I could find to use and found this.

After thinking about it, that isn't big enough.

However, when I open the wine box up, it's plenty big.

Kind of hard to explain what I'm doing with it without pics, but here it goes. I'm going to open the box up, wood glue the two middle pieces inside the box together (where the two sides of it connect). Then I'm going to go to the hardware store, and have them cut a piece of wood to go over the top, (I'm doing it where it's bigger than the base, ala SFA stick.) What kind of wood do you guys recommend for the top? After I get all that done, I have to figure out the best way to paint the thing and have it feel good on the hands.

Going with Happ Competition pushbuttons from Lizard lick, and a Happ bat top joystick, since they are so much cheaper.

Hope this turns out well.

So I ordered an Orginal DIY angled case from NorrisArcadeSticks.com . I was one of the Lucky 11 :) I really just wanted one to compare it to what I was going to build.

[quote name='MusicNoteLess']So I ordered an Orginal DIY angled case from NorrisArcadeSticks.com . I was one of the Lucky 11 :) I really just wanted one to compare it to what I was going to build.[/quote]

Damn it
I missed out by a minute, had a freakin phone call
Could have ordered an angled one, but I wanted the rounded one...

Have fun :(

Pumama> it's definitely big enough, but the real question is if it's to your preference.

I like my Tekken stick coz it's wide enough to play on my lap for a lot of games, but I cant play Guilty Gear with it on my lap since the execution in that game is a little crazier and the thing moves around all over my legs

but also having the stick wide in the up/down area can be important too. Like when making a stick, you may prefer to place the sticks and buttons closer to the top of the stick leaving blank space on the bottom to rest your wrists and forearms on.

MarkMan, JEKKI or SmallWind....

Do you know if the HRAP 2 SA has a thin film of plastic covering the top like the HRAP 1 (I've read) has?

...or is it just naturally that smooth and shiny :)

I think I'm gonna take the plunge and pre-order the TE stick.. It'll definitely take some time getting used to though. I was an arcade stick guy until age 10. Then I was mostly a keyboard guy from ages 10-22, now just recently with HD Remix I switched to the 360 (analog stick). I guess it's time to go back to basics. :D

MarkMan, when they say it's limited edition, is that for real? Will it be hard to find after pre-orders are filled?

As of now. It's going to be VERY limited, almost impossible to find, though I can't state numbers.

Also, have you used a Japanese style arcade stick before?

For you, and everyone else that hasn't used one before. It may feel weird at first, but you have to train yourself on it's precision/inputs before you can become competent at it.

[quote name='MarkMan']As of now. It's going to be VERY limited, almost impossible to find, though I can't state numbers.

Also, have you used a Japanese style arcade stick before?

For you, and everyone else that hasn't used one before. It may feel weird at first, but you have to train yourself on it's precision/inputs before you can become competent at it.[/QUOTE]

No sarcasm in the first sentence?

[quote name='Nelo Ice']so if we preordered alerady from say amazon we should get one?[/QUOTE]

That would probably depend more on how amazon's preordering system works exactly. Hopefully it's first come first serve since I preordered mine there pretty early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back