CAG Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was about to place an order with LizardLick... then I opened my X-arcade and realized there was no way the "new, longer-style" Happ buttons would fit in there! At its most shallow point, the interior of the controller is only 1.5 inches deep. Hmmm... :whistle2:k

http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-fku-71-zl-49-en-84-j-70-341i.html

pa.145206.1.jpg

For those of you that don't know about it, the RoydsStick.EX is a specialized arcade stick that has swappable panel inserts.

It was originally made for PS2 but is now coming out for PS3 (which will probably work on PC as well).

I'm a proud owner of a PS2 RoydsStick.EX and am confident in giving it a decent ranking on my Retail Arcade Stick Ranking List.

I've had enough!!!!! I cannot play Shotos in Remix at all with the 360 pad!!! I used to like Akuma, now I can't srk worth shit. My air fireballs only come out half the time!

Ideally, I'd want a keyboard.. but that's not happening so I guess I can try to learn a stick. I don't feel like spending much money.. I guess the Hori EX2 sticks are my only option right?

[quote name='PhrostByte']I've had enough!!!!! I cannot play Shotos in Remix at all with the 360 pad!!! I used to like Akuma, now I can't srk worth shit. My air fireballs only come out half the time!

Ideally, I'd want a keyboard.. but that's not happening so I guess I can try to learn a stick. I don't feel like spending much money.. I guess the Hori EX2 sticks are my only option right?[/quote]

The hori stick ought to last you a good month.

[quote name='PhrostByte']I've had enough!!!!! I cannot play Shotos in Remix at all with the 360 pad!!! I used to like Akuma, now I can't srk worth shit. My air fireballs only come out half the time!

Ideally, I'd want a keyboard.. but that's not happening so I guess I can try to learn a stick. I don't feel like spending much money.. I guess the Hori EX2 sticks are my only option right?[/quote]

I just won't play anymore with the regular xbox controller. I'm waiting for my Stick to come in the mail.

[quote name='genfuyung']The hori stick ought to last you a good month.[/quote]

Hm... I only need it long enough til the SF4 pads come out. See.. I want one now while Remix is still hot cuz I'm afraid everyone's gonna start playing SF4 when it comes out. I mean I probably will too... but I doubt I'll like it more than Remix for some reason.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Hm... I only need it long enough til the SF4 pads come out. See.. I want one now while Remix is still hot cuz I'm afraid everyone's gonna start playing SF4 when it comes out. I mean I probably will too... but I doubt I'll like it more than Remix for some reason.[/quote]

I dont think a the ex2 will last you until February. I feel your frustration about the shitty 360 controller and Im in the same boat. But for me personally its worth the 50 bucks that a crap hori stick would cost to wait until the Tournament sticks or in your case controllers are released.

I wouldnt worry much about the online community for hd remix dying out when sf4 comes out. Granted it will get smaller but look at how many years sf2 has been being played. HD remix isnt going anywhere for a long time.

anyone know if the SFIV controller... not the stick... will work with games like megaman 9... or anyother d-pad friendly game...

I'm not one to convince anyone to play with pad over stick, but why not just wait until February for the SFIV TE Sticks?

It's less than 2 months away and why burn $50 that you can put towards a quality stick in buying a crud stick? I'm not sure what everyone does for a living but I wish I could burn $50 just because I was uncomfortable with a controller and two months later drop $150+tax on another

Put it towards the SFIV TE stick. I know a lot of people who aren't jazzed on SFIV. There will still be a community for SFHD.

*ducks*

Well I'm considering working on an arcade stick using controlcommerce's guide , but I don't know what type of PCB to use since I'm wanting a 360 arcade stick. I've heard people saying they use either a madcatz controller or those madcatz arcade sticks. Also, where would I go to find out how to wire either of these controllers to the arcade buttons/joystick?

I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff, so any help/suggestions will help.

Thanks!

[quote name='asianxcore']I'm not one to convince anyone to play with pad over stick, but why not just wait until February for the SFIV TE Sticks?

It's less than 2 months away and why burn $50 that you can put towards a quality stick in buying a crud stick? I'm not sure what everyone does for a living but I wish I could burn $50 just because I was uncomfortable with a controller and two months later drop $150+tax on another

Put it towards the SFIV TE stick. I know a lot of people who aren't jazzed on SFIV. There will still be a community for SFHD.

*ducks*[/quote]

$150 is a lot to spend on a stick though... :whistle2:k

[quote name='heavyd853']Its basically gonna last you forever though.[/quote]

Yeah.. it is nice looking too.. hmmm.. I think I'll probably get by with one of the SF4 controllers though.

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']Well I'm considering working on an arcade stick using controlcommerce's guide , but I don't know what type of PCB to use since I'm wanting a 360 arcade stick. I've heard people saying they use either a madcatz controller or those madcatz arcade sticks. Also, where would I go to find out how to wire either of these controllers to the arcade buttons/joystick?

Thanks![/quote]

Go here and you'll find everything you need.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']Well I'm considering working on an arcade stick using controlcommerce's guide , but I don't know what type of PCB to use since I'm wanting a 360 arcade stick. I've heard people saying they use either a madcatz controller or those madcatz arcade sticks. Also, where would I go to find out how to wire either of these controllers to the arcade buttons/joystick?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I just got done working with Madcatz' XBLA controller. Their are small holes drilled into each soldering point. So all you have to do is place each wire into the holes and then top with solder. That's as simple as it gets. If you live nears a Fry's they're on clearance at $7-8. Gamestop has them for $20, which is where I had to go.

More info on how to solder with pics of many different PCBs:
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_wiring.html

[quote name='controlcommerce']I just got done working with Madcatz' XBLA controller. Their are small holes drilled into each soldering point. So all you have to do is place each wire into the holes and then top with solder. That's as simple as it gets. If you live nears a Fry's they're on clearance at $7-8. Gamestop has them for $20, which is where I had to go.

More info on how to solder with pics of many different PCBs:
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_wiring.html[/quote]

Should I have any problems fitting it in the Norris box?
Will probably grab one today at Gamestop (No Frys :cry:)

[quote name='controlcommerce']It's big and ugly but it will fit, lol.[/quote]

My wiring is probably gonna be shit anyways, going to be my first time trying to solder anything lol

Probably going to paint over the bottom so you can't see any of it xP

Aww don't do that. People should see the wiring job! For good or worse, hehe.

A few tips. Buy a hot glue gun. Place glue over the soldered spots once you know they work %100. This is so they have a less chance of braking off and so you can pull and tug the wires all you want to get them into a nice managed position. You can also make a custom plastic box to hide the ugly PCB. Like in this photo:

[IMG-C=4838]3928[/IMG-C]

Here's another photo of an AWESOME wiring job:

[IMG-C=4838]3927[/IMG-C]

Yeah I planned on picking up a hot glue gun to do that :)
Also, OK I suppose I'll just let everybody see my awful job lol
I'm gonna see if I can get a buddy to help me who's good at doing this wiring stuff

[quote name='controlcommerce']Aww don't do that. People should see the wiring job! For good or worse, hehe.

A few tips. Buy a hot glue gun. Place glue over the soldered spots once you know they work %100. This is so they have a less chance of braking off and so you can pull and tug the wires all you want to get them into a nice managed position. You can also make a custom plastic box to hide the ugly PCB. Like in this photo:

[IMG-C=4838]3928[/IMG-C]

Here's another photo of an AWESOME wiring job:

[IMG-C=4838]3927[/IMG-C][/QUOTE]

I have some stickish comments to post, but first I gotta ask... how do you post those little pics that let you ZOOM in? (my post will involve pictures)

Add the pictures to an album in your user page. Then I go to the "create new blog post," then you see your newly added pics. Under your pics you'll see the option to add them to the post (centered, left, or right), pick one then just copy and paste the code. I'm sure their's an easier way but it's all I know.

For a while I didn't know how to post pics the normal HTML way. All I used was this zoom-in feature, lol. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to post youtube videos in blog post, if anyone wants to help.

[quote name='controlcommerce']Right now I'm trying to figure out how to post youtube videos in blog post, if anyone wants to help.[/quote]

Use these tags "[youtube.]hRYYhI7d9Ig[/youtube.]" ;)

Without the . of course :)

Only need the ="dfadjfljdafl;ajsdfl;jdsa" part in the middle

no rain this weekend! looks like I'll be good to get sum work done!!!

control man... my top panel is 0.75'' and I'll be placing the lexan atop that,

how deep do you think I should rout on the bottom to mount my JLF??

it's on the flat mounting plate btw... not like that _|--|_ shaped one

My JLF and seimitsu buttons from lizardlick arrived today, along with the monoprice headset cable. :)

IMG_0102.jpg

Now I'm waiting on the Madcatz gamestick I bought on eBay. Sadly, I haven't received notification from the seller or any kind of status update. :(

I'm wiring up an Xbox 360 joystick tonight. Does anyone know how to wire the Madcatz retro stick PCB's triggers up as arcade buttons? I know most people just leave them out, but I don't wanna.

@Jekki - Yeah dude, you want to rout it down to 0.25". Do that and with the lexan, it'll fit like a dream.

@MusicNoteLess - That color scheme is going to look great. I was going to use those type of black buttons but with yellow centers to make a Watchmen stick. I still mine one day.

@eastx - What triggers are you talking about? The left/right bumpers, left/right pull trigger you would use to shoot in FPS or something else?

[quote name='controlcommerce']
@eastx - What triggers are you talking about? The left/right bumpers, left/right pull trigger you would use to shoot in FPS or something else?[/QUOTE]

Not the bumpers... The analog triggers. Since they're analog, they need to be wired up differently to function in an arcade stick. I already put 8 buttons in the stick so I'd really like to use all 8 buttons...

[quote name='controlcommerce']Add the pictures to an album in your user page. Then I go to the "create new blog post," then you see your newly added pics. Under your pics you'll see the option to add them to the post (centered, left, or right), pick one then just copy and paste the code. I'm sure their's an easier way but it's all I know.

For a while I didn't know how to post pics the normal HTML way. All I used was this zoom-in feature, lol. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to post youtube videos in blog post, if anyone wants to help.[/QUOTE]Thank you sir! Let's try this...

I'm wondering if THESE: [IMG-C=4901]3933[/IMG-C]
will fit into THIS: [IMG-C=4901]3930[/IMG-C]

Here's a detailed diagram of the button dimensions:[IMG-C=4901]3934[/IMG-C]
and a closer look at my measurement of how much "clearance" there is for buttons at the lowest point of the control panel housing: [IMG-C=4901]3932[/IMG-C]

Here's what the interior looks like. Note that I gotta take 0.19" away from the clearance since that is the thickness of the board that goes at the bottom of the unit. [IMG-C=4901]3935[/IMG-C]

So what I'm wondering is... do you think those new buttons would fit??? They would be going in at a slight angle (the top of the stick is sloped). As I understand, the X-arcade parts are imitation Happs, but the Happs I'm seeing have those longer tubes!

[quote name='controlcommerce']Are you trying to do:

X Y RT RB
A B LT LB

RT/LT = right/left trigger
RB/LB = right/left bumper

That's the way 8 buttons sticks normally run.[/QUOTE]

Actually the triggers will be on the outside, not the bumpers. But that doesn't affect the answer to my question. Do you know how to wire the triggers from that particular PCB (the Madcatz retro stick)?

[quote name='BustaUppa']
So what I'm wondering is... do you think those new buttons would fit??? They would be going in at a slight angle (the top of the stick is sloped). As I understand, the X-arcade parts are imitation Happs, but the Happs I'm seeing have those longer tubes![/quote]You should be fine the X-arcade parts should be almost the same size as the HAPP buttons.

Wow, I've never seen someone try to wire analog triggers to a button. I don't think solder points for it exist. What game do you want to play on an arcade stick that uses analog triggers?

BustaUppa - Looked at the problem and did the math. No, those two bottom buttons will not fit. My advice to you is fuck those two buttons. Replace them with Happs plug holes (http://lizardlick.com/images/for_sale/pushbuttons/happ_hole.jpg) and just work with the other six buttons like a normal Street Fighter setup.

Smallwind - These are newer Happs Buttons, a little longer.

[quote name='controlcommerce']BustaUppa - Looked at the problem and did the math. No, those two bottom buttons will not fit. My advice to you is fuck those two buttons. Replace them with Happs plug holes (http://lizardlick.com/images/for_sale/pushbuttons/happ_hole.jpg) and just work with the other six buttons like a normal Street Fighter setup.

Smallwind - These are newer Happs Buttons, a little longer.[/QUOTE]Unfortunately plugs are not an option... I'm basically designing this stick around UMK3, and eliminating the bottom row would render the whole project pointless (run button). :whistle2:( :whistle2:( :whistle2:(

Is there anywhere I can get older (shorter) Happ buttons?

Also, I suppose there's always the option to just keep the stock buttons for the bottom row, and replace everything else. A compromise, but perhaps a necessary sacrifice... we'll see!

[quote name='controlcommerce']Wow, I've never seen someone try to wire analog triggers to a button. I don't think solder points for it exist. What game do you want to play on an arcade stick that uses analog triggers? [/QUOTE]

Well, in SF2 Turbo they function as the X 3 Punch and kick buttons, and of course other games may allow them to be mapped too (Soul Calibur, VF5, DOA 4). Using all 8 buttons isn't popular but people do it. I know how to wire an official 360 pad's triggers, but not this particular PCB. It usually involves soldering a resistor between 2 of the trigger's 3 soldering points.

[quote name='eastx']Well, in SF2 Turbo they function as the X 3 Punch and kick buttons, and of course other games may allow them to be mapped too (Soul Calibur, VF5, DOA 4). Using all 8 buttons isn't popular but people do it. I know how to wire an official 360 pad's triggers, but not this particular PCB. It usually involves soldering a resistor between 2 of the trigger's 3 soldering points.[/QUOTE]I think akuma001 knows all about that, you should mssg him.

Are you talking about the pull down triggers right by the bumpers? I thinking your talking about button you press down inside the analog stick. I'm confused, lol. Here you go. Look at the back of the stick. Your right, between the 3 points.

360_diagram2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back