CAG Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I printed my new HRAP EX art today. The first time the guys used a small laminating machine and looked like shit with a lot of air bubbles so I told them to redo it and they used the big lamination machine in the back and it looks good now. It looks like it will fit fine but I won't know for sure until I get the buttons from lizardlick and open it up. If it doesn't fit I'll just keep the stock art because this print was almost 7 bucks. Hopefully I can cut it all out without screwing it up.

Anyone know if I can just put the lamilabel template on top of the previous HRAP EX artwork? I don't really want to tear it off. If I ever take this template off with it screw up the original art if I put it on top of it?

[quote name='Furashu']for Building your own stick is there a cheaper/easier option other then buying a sixaxis and taking it apart?

im pretty sure i can build my own wood box, my plan is to use the SE stock parts for a 2nd controller to play vs my friends as my parts are solid and never got stuck with 18+hrs on SF4 already

im trying to keep costs lowww[/quote]

Cthulhu

http://www.modchipman.com/toodles-cthulhu-board-ps3pc-compatible-p-1622.html

[quote name='eastx']I agree with Furashu. Unlocking all the characters takes forever![/quote]

Really took me less then 2 hours to unlock the characters...

Furashu it's wayyyy easier to buy a Cthulhu board from Lizard Lick (it's common ground), and it will have the added bonus of working with PC, unlike the SixAxis (which works spottily at best on PCs).

What are people using those 10 dollar 360 arcade controllers for?

I saw a few people mentioning buying one but I can't find why people want them for modding?

So, say I've got a HRAP 3 here and I'm thinking to myself that I want to get it modded for a Supergun (which uses a DB-15 connector, I believe)... what needs to be gotten so that such a feat can be achieved?

[quote name='gareman']What are people using those 10 dollar 360 arcade controllers for?

I saw a few people mentioning buying one but I can't find why people want them for modding?[/QUOTE]

The PCB on those controllers is the easiest to hack since the copper traces are big enough to solder and its got a clean layout, besides the fact that its common ground.

[quote name='-GoodFella-']The PCB on those controllers is the easiest to hack since the copper traces are big enough to solder and its got a clean layout, besides the fact that its common ground.[/quote]

Awesome. So this a good thing to start with for my first arcade stick. Looks like i might make the 30 minute drive to pick one up

SRK is down again.... What are these $10 controllers?

And does anyone have experience custom making a stick with a 360 and Cthulhu pcb?

[quote name='Jest']SRK is down again.... What are these $10 controllers?

And does anyone have experience custom making a stick with a 360 and Cthulhu pcb?[/QUOTE]

This is the controller. You can get them used for $10 used at gamestop. That's why I want to get one of these controllers so I can do a dual PCB (PS3 & 360) stick since they're the easiest to work with. I read @ the SRK forums that as long as the pads you're using are common ground then you're good to go but everybody recommends the Madcatz $10 stick for this type of mod.

MarkMan: I bought an SE stick on Friday and modded it all Sanwa today. I did not like the stock buttons but the stock stick was decent. The mod was very easy - even easier than expected since I used a flat blade screwdriver to pry up the red good before messing with the screws on the stick's mounting bracket. I'm very impressed with the case's form factor, weight and overall feel. I love the light grid to show you which button is on turbo and the panel lockout is brilliant. After adding in the Sanwa JLF stick and OBSFs, this is clearly my favorite stick. It's more comfortable and feels more responsive than my Sanwa modded HRAP3. Great job.

[quote name='eastx']Furashu it's wayyyy easier to buy a Cthulhu board from Lizard Lick (it's common ground), and it will have the added bonus of working with PC, unlike the SixAxis (which works spottily at best on PCs).[/quote]

oic... hmm
$40 Chutlu/Ps3 board...
$25 JLF Sanwa Stick
$17.70 6 Sanwa buttons
$10 Paint
roughly $92...

my dad has all the tools and a ton of wood and glue

From GQman2121 on NeoGAF...

DSCN0580.jpg

DSCN0581.jpg

Finally got the stick finished. Now I need to do some wiring to the live retro stick PCB I found and shes ready to roll.

15grokn.jpg

2v8k0vd.jpg

Its for my wife. All seimitsu buttons and a JLF stick. Reddish oak and cherry stain, lexan top and MDF insides to hold the guts.

[quote name='Furashu']oic... hmm
$40 Chutlu/Ps3 board...
$25 JLF Sanwa Stick
$17.70 6 Sanwa buttons
$10 Paint
roughly $92...

my dad has all the tools and a ton of wood and glue[/QUOTE]

It should be a fun project, dude! But don't forget you need buttons for Start, Select, and Guide/Home. You can save a bit by getting 24mm buttons instead of 30 mm (though you'll also need an appropriate hole saw bit to make the holes in the case).

[quote name='eastx']It should be a fun project, dude! But don't forget you need buttons for Start, Select, and Guide/Home. You can save a bit by getting 24mm buttons instead of 30 mm (though you'll also need an appropriate hole saw bit to make the holes in the case).[/quote]

dont know when ill start,im trying to save up money just to save up. Spent $55 on SF4 and $50 on the SE stick(had a gift card). Its not a high priority honestly, but I just want a cool project to do, but found out its kinda costly. If i can sell Dead Space ill be starting on it asap lol!

Man i wish i can crafting skills like that. Knowing me, ill probably find a good way to mess it up....but i would seeing these makes me want to attempt one soo bad!

Apologies if this isn't quite appropriate (I know there's a separate trading thread), but I figured any joystick aficionados on the lookout for what I have may be more likely to visit this thread instead - plus I'm getting desperate. I'll just copy/paste from my other post, but I promise to post here when I finally get the 360 SE and go through with a Sanwa parts mod!

[edit] PS3 stick is gone, now to continue my hunt for the 360 version...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ecto311']Finally got the stick finished. Now I need to do some wiring to the live retro stick PCB I found and shes ready to roll.

Its for my wife. All seimitsu buttons and a JLF stick. Reddish oak and cherry stain, lexan top and MDF insides to hold the guts.[/quote]

Oh snap, that is beautiful!

Make me one and I'll be your wife too, lol J/K...

[quote name='Sonic626']Apologies if this isn't quite appropriate (I know there's a separate trading thread), but I figured any joystick aficionados on the lookout for what I have may be more likely to visit this thread instead - plus I'm getting desperate. I'll just copy/paste from my other post, but I promise to post here when I finally get the 360 SE and go through with a Sanwa parts mod!

I have an unopened PS3 MadCatz FightStick SE. Unfortunately, I have SFIV for the 360. Since I need the 360 version, I'm willing to part with this stick for either the 360 version of the stick, or $150 (which is what it seems to get one of the darned things off eBay). I'd also be willing to part with it towards a trade for the Tournament Edition, although I'm not willing to go as exorbitantly high as other eBayers since they'll be coming back into production eventually and I have a huge game backlog I can play while I wait:D

I[/quote]

not to be rude, but...
1) u pointed out that u dont want to pay high $$ for a TE stick, but youre gonna scalp your SE for $150 and tell us that u wont pay more $$ for a TE cause stock will go back, JUST like the SE?

and....
2) ud trade your SE for a TE stick...uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

3) im sure someone would want to trade their 360 stick for your ps3 stick gladly.

[quote name='MarkMan']distgfx, YES there are more on the way (TE and SE).

And future batches of course will not have any of the issues people are experiencing now.[/quote]

That's some awesome news. Unfortunately I was a little late in pre-ordering the TE stick and have been regretting it ever since. I heard that they're going to restock next month or early April. I don't want to screw up again; so does anyone know where I can secure and pre-order a TE stick for the next batch? Thanks!

after a few hours of searching for lami-label at kinkos (most of them never even heard of it), i found one that had it, problem is we did it on some shitty machine out front and ended up with a bunch of bubbles, i asked the guy if he had a better laminating machine in the back and he was like yea but couldnt do the lami-label, so i bought 4 lami-label sheets from him and i'm gonna take it to a mom and pop print shop tomorrow to see if they can do it right. here is what it turned out like

DSC04625.jpg

I got my TE stick in the mail jus now!!

it's cool, it took a while to adjust to since I'm used to my other stick... the buttons are farther from the stick and the shaft is shorter.

and it played like a dream!!

until the RT and LT buttons stopped working >_<

I was in a xbox live battle and couldnt use roundhouse! which sucked!!

I mean... I still won... but I woulda won sooner had I been able to use my kick!!

so... any1 wanna point me in the direction of a screwdriver to open this thing up??

I may buy one tonite, otherwise tomorrow.

-EDIT-

lol, my father had one. he called it an "Allen Wrench"

it gota hella hexagons on it!! u can choose whichever one you want!!

only one of them fits tho, lol

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JEKKI']I got my TE stick in the mail jus now!!

it's cool, it took a while to adjust to since I'm used to my other stick... the buttons are farther from the stick and the shaft is shorter.

and it played like a dream!!

until the RT and LT buttons stopped working >_<

I was in a xbox live battle and couldnt use roundhouse! which sucked!!

I mean... I still won... but I woulda won sooner had I been able to use my kick!!

so... any1 wanna point me in the direction of a screwdriver to open this thing up??

I may buy one tonite, otherwise tomorrow.

-EDIT-

lol, my father had one. he called it an "Allen Wrench"

it gota hella hexagons on it!! u can choose whichever one you want!!

only one of them fits tho, lol[/quote]

Damn I would return that bitch so fast if I paid that much and it broke that fast. But look at the good side you learned what an allen wrench was.

I had problems with my RT not working on the SE. Opened it up and everything seemed to be fine so I called MadCatz and will be sending it to them tomorrow. I hope they still fix it since I did open it up to make sure the wires were porperly connected.

Yeah, both of my TEs have taken beatings with all of the people that have been over at my place to play the game. They're still holding up fine.

I returned my FS3 and got a SE today for my PS3. This will be my first stick as I did not open the FS3. I am a total newb with fightsticks. I have a few questions.
1. I was thinking about modding it, should I mod the stick and buttons before I play with it since I don't want to mess anything up in the stick if the washer comes loose (or whatever is coming loose).
2. Was this the best choice for someone with no modding and joystick experience for the price?
or
3.Should I return it and wait for the next batch.

[quote name='hlb96']I returned my FS3 and got a SE today for my PS3. This will be my first stick as I did not open the FS3. I am a total newb with fightsticks. I have a few questions.
1. I was thinking about modding it, should I mod the stick and buttons before I play with it since I don't want to mess anything up in the stick if the washer comes loose (or whatever is coming loose).
2. Was this the best choice for someone with no modding and joystick experience for the price?
or
3.Should I return it and wait for the next batch.[/quote]

Why don't you play it first.

It's interesting how many folks new to arcade sticks just want to start modding stuff out the gate without even playing with it.

Can anyone tell me how long OBSF-30 buttons are? I'd measure myself but my parts from lizard aren't going to be in for at least a week and I want to get started on building a spare arcade stick tomorrow.

Hey guys. I need help printing my HFS3 artwork using this template here:
http://www.donovanmyers.com/arcade/hori-marks.pdf

But the problem is that I don't know how to overlay the images. I tried a 1600x1200 image and enlarged it to fit the template but when when I zoomed in to 100% in Photoshop, it's VERY BLURRY. Does that mean when I print it, it'll be VERY BLURRY? Thanks for your help guys.

Also, I heard Lami-Label is the best when you wanna print at Kinkos. What is the optimal settings that I should print with. Like glossy/no gloss, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back