CAG Beer Drinkers Unite! Beer Snobs and Cheap Ass Drunks Welcome!

yes 07 07 07 was a great beer also the same day i ask my girl out which might be the one so saving it for the big day lol..kinda cheese ..thou i did have another one but we drank that on 07 07 08 hehe good stuff became a totally different beer when aged a year..

For stouts i dry to keep it in there as long as possible but that doesnt happen since i LOVE Imperials especially stones and so does my girl so its kinda hard lol..

I also gots some tips from Beer Advocate great place but i also subscrip to a Beer mag and a home brew mag some great info on there especially the home brew mag when the gave a recipe for some of stones beers but i dont haev the room or the extra cash to set something like that up maybe someday..

Oh I did try to store a double bastard in my closet but my room temp fluctuated so much i was kinda worried that it might make it funky so i thru it in the fridge and i live upstairs so it gets hot

I can't "cellar" beers either since I don't have a cellar and my garage temperature fluctuates like crazy. I do have a fridge in the garage (the people we bought it from left it there for us) but I can't keep the temperature low enough for aging because I also keep sodas, drink boxes, etc in there.

I'm trying to talk my neighbor into digging a cellar underneath this gigantic tree house he built for his kids but so far he isn't going for it. :lol:

I probably wouldn't have the patience to wait very long anyway. I do have a Samichlaus and a Gouden Carolus from 2007 still in there though.

Well, I don't think it's a good idea to compare aging beers to aging wine because despite what most people think aged wine does not necessarily mean better. Those $500+ bottles of wine are all for show, you pop one of those open and it'd probably be the most horrendous thing you've ever tasted. Most good wines you can get for $8, better yet, I prefer my homemade wine over most wines you can get in the stores.

As for aging beers, it does make a difference with some beers but you can't age all beers obviously. It's only a handful of amount of beers that you can or should age. I was lucky enough to have a Chimay Grand Reserve that my brother brought back from Belgium, one word amazing.

Made some fried pickles yesterday and had a nice Kirin. I sweer that's the best beer to go with anything fried.

c0163696_7201622.jpg

Had some good beers (and a couple mediocre ones) at RFDs in DC during an early happy hour after a meeting this afternoon.

Leffe Bruin--meh, very watery and bland for a Belgian brown ale.

Green Flash Brewing Hop Head--nice hoppy as hell red ale.

Sam Adams Imperial Stout--this one was very mediocre for an imperial. Flavor was ok but body was too weak.

Southern Tier Jah-va Stout--damn tasty and a hefty 12% ABV.

Never tried a coffee beer. I guess it's the season for them cause I saw an entire row dedicated to them at my local Total Wine. I like imperial stouts so I'll have to give it a shot one of these days.

Yeah if you like imperials you'll like some of the coffee stouts. Also some of the strong chocolate ones--like the Southern Tier Imperial Choklat Stout.

The high octane ones are similar to a good imperial--just with coffee or chocolate added to the brewing process more or less.

ooh i did have that Southern Tier Imperial Choklat Stout very nice hints of dark choc if i recall

Anyone know of a site that has a list of microbrews by state? Thinking about going on a road trip this summer and it would be nice to know of some microbrews.

[quote name='KNIVES']ooh i did have that Southern Tier Imperial Choklat Stout very nice hints of dark choc if i recall[/QUOTE]

hints?!? its got a pretty strong chocolate taste i thought.

[quote name='ryan838']hints?!? its got a pretty strong chocolate taste i thought.[/QUOTE]

you know what, i just recalled that i never had there Chocolate stout thou i always wanted to try it lol, i was thinking of brooklyn brewery chocolate stout, which had hints of chocolate but the coffee smell was more powerful. also a great beer..

Also I tried southern tiers Creme Brulee great desert beer thou might be to sweet for some.. but smells awesome

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the Dogfish Head Raison d'Extra tonight. Not bad, basically a higher octane version of the Raison d'Etre weighing in at 20%. ABV.

Definitely a sipping beer. Have their World Wide Stout (18%) in the fridge to try another day.

Going to the grocery store later to pick something up for the weekend.

Thinking about giving New Belgium Fat Tire a shot.

I have had a very good beer weekend. Here is what I had:

Samual Adams Double Bock - If you are a dopple bock fan (I love them), this beer delivers. It is right up there with some of the best German dopples that I have had. I was really surprised at how good this beer was. Part of the new Imperial Series and SA is putting out right now.

Stone Smoked Porter - very good porter with just a slight hint of smoke. The last smoked beer I had was a German one and it was super smokey. This one is very subtle.

Ola Dubh Special Reserve 12 - this is an Old Ale style made in Scotland which they age in scotch barrels used by 12 year-old Highland Park scotch whisky. It is the blackest, thickest beer I have ever poured. Very sweet, smells like vanilla when you first pour it. An amazing beer. I can't wait to try the 16 and 30 versions of it.

Ten Fidy - we've talked about it in here before. Oskar Blues' Imperial Stout. Pours black as oil as well and drinks like a meal. Really good imperial stout.

Bithering Idiot by Weyerbacher - this is the smoothest barleywine that I have tasted. The barleywines that I typically drink (SN Bigfoot or Anchor's Old Foghorn) are pretty bold beers that have quite a bite to them. This beer was actually on the malty/sweet side with not too much alcohol taste. For an 11% beer, it was pretty easy to drink.

Add my neighbor's homebrewed stout to the mix and I have been feeling pretty good this weekend.

Had a few good beers the past couple of evenings.

Gordon--and double pale ale by Oskar Blues, the folks who do the Ten Fidy. Nice and hoppy.

Great Divide St. Bridget's Porter--damn good, one of the better porters I've had lately. Full bodied, lots of chocolate/coffee and some licorice taste to it.

Rogue Captain Sig's Deadliest Ale--yes that Captain Sig from Deadliest Catch. Proceeds go to some fisherman's fund. Basically a pretty hoppy amber ale.

The 8th annual Virginia Beer Festival is this weekend, Saturday April 25 and Sunday April 26 in Norfolk. $25 (plus exorbitant Ticketmaster fees) to drink all you can from 2-6 pm.

Breweries Represented:

Abita Brewing Company (Louisiana)
Anheuser-Busch (MO)
New! - Avery Brewing Company (CO)
Bear Republic Brewing Company (CA)
Bell's Brewery (MI)
Blue Moon Brewing Company (CO)
New! - Blue Point Brewing Company (NY)
The Boston Brewing Company (MA)
Brasserie d'Achouffe (Belgium)
New! - Brasserie Dupont (Belgium)
Brewery Ommegang (NY)
New! - Brooklyn Brewery (NY)
Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat (Belgium)
Brouwerij Huyghe (Belgium)
Brouwerij van Hoegaarden (Belgium)
Carlsberg (Denmark)
Carolina Beer and Beverage Company (NC)
Clipper City Brewing Company (MD)
Dogfish Head Craft Brewery (DE)
New! - Firestone Walker Brewing Company (CA)
New! - Founder's Brewing Company (MI)
Flying Dog Brewery (CO)
New! - Green Flash Brewing Company (CA)
New! - Hofbrauhaus Munchen (Germany)
New! - Kona Brewing Company (HI)
Lagunitas Brewing Company (CA)
Latrobe Brewing Company (PA)
Legend Brewing Company (Richmond)
Magic Hat Brewing Company (VT)
New! - New Holland Brewing Company (MI)
New! - Olde Richmond Brewing Company (VA)
Redhook Brewing Company (WA)
Rogue Brewery (OR)
New! - Shmaltz Brewing Company (NY)
Sierra Nevada Brewing Company (CA)
Southern Tier Brewing Company (NY)
Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu (Germany)
New! - Starr Hill Brewing Company (Charlottesville)
Stella Artois (Belgium)
New! - Stone Brewing Company (CA)
Victory Brewing Company (PA)
Warsteiner Brauerei (Germany)
Weeping Radish Brewing Company (NC)
Williamsburg Ale Werks (Williamsburg)

I'm going on Sunday to hopefully avoid the huge crowds. Last year was insanely packed. The more popular breweries had lines up to 30 minutes long (for a 7 oz. pour). They only did it on one day last year so hopefully breaking it up into two days will help.

I'll try to keep a list of what I have but I have a feeling I won't stick to it after the first hour or so.

just an fyi guys. if you see Romulan Ale and think "hey ill try this because i love star trek". DONT. its one of the worst beers ive ever had.

I noticed that a lot of the beers I want to try- Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA, Old Rasputin- are outdated at my local grocery store. I don't know where else to look.

One that totally peaked my taste buds go by the name Skull Lager... Like a Guiness but no dark caramel color and the head either... was a light golden amber color.

Tasted great but the bartender said it was by Capital Brewery but I looked at their site and they have nothing like it....

There really needs to be a place to sample beers... hate to pick up a sixer and not like it.

[quote name='xycury']One that totally peaked my taste buds go by the name Skull Lager... Like a Guiness but no dark caramel color and the head either... was a light golden amber color.

Tasted great but the bartender said it was by Capital Brewery but I looked at their site and they have nothing like it....

There really needs to be a place to sample beers... hate to pick up a sixer and not like it.[/quote]

A beer store near me has beer tastings every Thursday but I rarely make it to them due to scheduling conflicts. You need to find a place like Total Wine or similar where you can pick up singles to try. Heck, even my local grocery store (Farm Fresh) has create-your-own six pack now.

I rarely ever buy a six pack of anything anymore. I would rather pick six different beer styles than have 6 of the same in my fridge.

Did the VA Beer Festival yesterday afternoon and it was awesome. Last year was almost not worth going because there were so many people there it would take forever just to get a 4 oz sample from any of the breweries.

They split it into two days this year so my friends and I thought Sunday would be the best bet - and man were we right. We walked onto the pavilion to see that the vast majority of beer vendors were set up completely in the shade (it was 90+ degrees yesterday) and there were NO lines. I mean you could literally walk up to any tap, get a sample, and then walk to whatever your next choice was. It was almost too perfect of a setup because I was buzzing hard 15 minutes in and borderline drunk within a half hour. The Sierra Nevada guy told us that there were over 4,000 people there on Saturday. There were maybe 400 - 500 people there yesterday.

Here is a sampling of what I had - most of this stuff is within the first hour or so. My handwriting became almost illegible by the end of the day plus I was only writing down what beers I had when we would take a break to eat or drink water and my memory was getting pretty foggy.

Sierra Nevada - Harvest Ale
Kona - Pipeline Porter
Boulder Beer - Hazed and Infused
Founders - Double Trouble
Boulder Beer - Obovoid
Brasserie D'Achouffe - Houblon Chouffe
Southern Tier - Unearthly IPA
Starr Hill - The Love
Spaten - Optimator
Homebrewed IPA
Hofbrauhaus - Hofbrau Maibock
Magic Hat - #9
Legend - Doppelbock
Sierra Nevada - Summerfest
Stone - Double Bastard
Warsteiner - Hefewiesen

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']A beer store near me has beer tastings every Thursday but I rarely make it to them due to scheduling conflicts. You need to find a place like Total Wine or similar where you can pick up singles to try. Heck, even my local grocery store (Farm Fresh) has create-your-own six pack now.

I rarely ever buy a six pack of anything anymore. I would rather pick six different beer styles than have 6 of the same in my fridge.[/QUOTE]

Target had a sampler, but they removed it :(

And that event you went to sounds awesome... can't beleive .... 4000--to 400.

wow... what an event!

you should rate your beers but I suppose each person has their own taste....

I just turned 21 today. Suggestions for beer to try? my roommates and I really want to get away from the traditional college crap beer (plain molson, labatt, bud) into more interesting stuff. I'm in the Western NY region, if that helps at all.

Where are you gonna be buying your beer? If you're at a grocery store, Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada are good starts.

If you're going to a place that has a decent selection of microbrews, I'd suggest going through this thread and grabbing a couple different bottles. Try to get at least one Stout, one IPA, and then something else that's recommended earlier. Stone Ruination IPA is a great choice if it's available.

not sure if you have a cost plus (think ive said this in this thread before) but they have a make your own six pack thing. you can grab a variety of beers and give them all a whirl. some grocery stores do that as well.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']not sure if you have a cost plus (think ive said this in this thread before) but they have a make your own six pack thing. you can grab a variety of beers and give them all a whirl. some grocery stores do that as well.[/quote]

Depending on your location in Western NY, you might have a Wegman's close by. I think they allow you to create your own six. At the very least, they'll have a better selection than most grocery stores.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']Depending on your location in Western NY, you might have a Wegman's close by. I think they allow you to create your own six. At the very least, they'll have a better selection than most grocery stores.[/quote]

I've only been going to Tops and they have an "ok" selection. around here theres a place called Consumer Beverages and I've heard good things about them.

The create your own six pack sounds pretty awesome though, I'll have to see if any place around here does that.

[quote name='BlueScrote']I just turned 21 today. Suggestions for beer to try? my roommates and I really want to get away from the traditional college crap beer (plain molson, labatt, bud) into more interesting stuff. I'm in the Western NY region, if that helps at all.[/quote]

I'd go for Dos Equis green.. add a lime and that shit will knock your dick in the dirt, plus it tastes good.

Yeah, for me it was Micky's when I was younger, still the taste feels nostalgic. I'll buy on once a year. I guess when you're young you're stupid and will drink anything.

And what is it about Coors Light that makes everyone over 50 drink it? I was watching football with my dad a while ago and he threw a Coors Light at me, I threw it back saying I'm going to the gas station to pick up some Sam Adams. I don't turn down beers often but I refuse to drink that camel piss.

[quote name='Rodimus']What's everyone least favorite beer? I personally hate Corona and any light beer.[/quote]

Yuengling.

[quote name='pimpster4183']I'd go for Dos Equis green.. add a lime and that shit will knock your dick in the dirt, plus it tastes good.[/QUOTE]

beer should not require added fruit to be good.

[quote name='Rodimus']What's everyone least favorite beer? I personally hate Corona and any light beer.[/QUOTE]

on a realted note, corona is one of my least favorite beers. along with coors (regular and light).

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']beer should not require added fruit to be good.[/quote]

Agreed, I never understood how that beer became so popular.

I got the day off so I'm headed out to pick up some beer. I just haven't decided what I want.

dos equis became popular because of the commercials... most people think it's a new beer and since it's on TV alot of course it's going to be popular.

I'm thinking about trying Duvel if I can find any. Does anyone have any thoughts on it?

duvel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had Duvel once a few years ago. From what I remember it was good, but haven't bought it since. I have a friend from Japan and it's her favorite beer.

The Dos Equis commercials are brillant. When I first saw them they reminded me of the Chuck Norris internet jokes. Still it's been probably 4 years since I had one.

[quote name='Rodimus']I had Duvel once a few years ago. From what I remember it was good, but haven't bought it since. I have a friend from Japan and it's her favorite beer.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I found a store about 20 minutes from here that has it.

bread's done
Back