CAG Beer Drinkers Unite! Beer Snobs and Cheap Ass Drunks Welcome!

I was in Calgary a few years ago and had this awesome beer called Big Rock. God I wish I could find that shit in the States. So fucking yummy.

New Belgium (makers of Fat Tire) beers are not available on the East Coast? Fat Tire is good, but I think they have some that are better. Fat Tire tends to lose it's flavor when it warms up. It doesn't become skunky, just loses flavor. It's really bizarre.

New Belgium Beers are available if you know where to look. There's usually one spot in every medium to large sized city that has it. NYC had a spot that had almost every type of beer in North America, Japan, and Europe. The beer list would've been a phone book if they didn't break it up by type. I counted over 40 IPAs when I went.

The funny thing is that people are sitting at the bar drinking Bud, Bud Light, and Coors Light. I wanted to go up and slap the piss out of them.

Indianapolis has a couple spots in Broad Ripple that supposedly have Fat Tire and other Western brews but I never get up to the northside of town. The Southside of town is cheaper but it's definately more blue collar. Sadly, Buffalo Wild Wings has the best beer selection on tap.

Rodimus, if you're looking for a lighter beer, I'd suggest Hoegaarden. It's a Belgian White Ale that's perfect when the weather warms up. Other than that, my favorite lagers are Stella Artois, Heineken, Harp, and PBR.

Picked a Michelob Craft Sampler last week. 20 pack of beer for $18 isn't too bad. I like their pale ale and porter the best. I used to love the Amber Bock but it just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Spent a few hours at the Stone Brewery when in CA for work last week. Definitely a cool place and of course the beer was great since they are my favorite brewery.

Had a couple beers I hadn't before--the Leviatation Ale which was pretty good and the Sublimely Self Righteous Ale which was damn good. Super hoppy, high ABV and dark.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Spent a few hours at the Stone Brewery when in CA for work last week. Definitely a cool place and of course the beer was great since they are my favorite brewery.

Had a couple beers I hadn't before--the Leviatation Ale which was pretty good and the Sublimely Self Righteous Ale which was damn good. Super hoppy, high ABV and dark.[/QUOTE]

I love Stone, it's been a while since I've had one of there beers.

Last week I had some Celtic Fury from DuClaw Restaurant ad Brewery. DuClaw is probably my favorite Baltimore Brewery. Seems like they have a seasonal beer every month. Highly recommend there beer if you are in the area, the food, not so much.

http://www.duclaw.com/beers.aspx

Had a couple decent beers the other night.

Abita Andygator--a helles dopplebock. Tasted more like a tripel to me.

Smuttynose Gravitation--a belgian style quad. Darker than most quads I've had, lots of caramel/coffee flavor and a hint of fruity sweetness. I'd give it a 3/5.

Both were fairly "cheap" relatively speaking at $5-6 for the 1 pt, 6 oz bottles. I'd give it a 3.5/5 (close to a 4, had to debate a bit on the score with my roommate and fellow beer snob. :D ).

[quote name='dmaul1114']Had a couple decent beers the other night.

Smuttynose Gravitation--a belgian style quad. Darker than most quads I've had, lots of caramel/coffee flavor and a hint of fruity sweetness. I'd give it a 3/5.

Both were fairly "cheap" relatively speaking at $5-6 for the 1 pt, 6 oz bottles. I'd give it a 3.5/5 (close to a 4, had to debate a bit on the score with my roommate and fellow beer snob. :D ).[/quote]

Your talk of a Belgian Quad reminds me that I want to try Weyerbacher's Blasphemy which is their Quad that has been aged in bourbon barrels.

I had my first taste of Ten Fidy at my friend's homebrew day a couple weeks ago and it was excellent.

The Blasphemy is decent.

My favorite of there's is definitely the Blithering Idiot--one of my favorite Barleywines (along with the Gnarlely Wine from Lagunitas, the Old Ruffian from Great Divide, and the Old Guardian by Stone).

Ten Fidy is awesome , but it seems to give me a bad buzz--one of those things I drink and tend to get angry/mean so I tend to go with the Stone or Old Rasputin for imperials.

I live a couple of blocks away from this place called The Four Firkins that sells craft brews only. They had a tasting featuring Tyraneah Brews (Lake Mills, WI) that was quite good. Their Cherry Porter was fantastic and the Bitter Woman IPA was very strong.
I grabbed a couple of different items from Flat Earth (St. Paul, MN) that I'll have to comment upon later.

Good to see other beer snobs here, I'm getting sick of the people that think Budweiser is the be all end all of beer.

[quote name='klwillis45']Oh hell yeah!

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/03/19/three-sheets-slated-to-return-new-season-starting-soon/[/QUOTE]

fucking a. i love me some three sheets. i cannot wait!

[quote name='nasum'] Their Cherry Porter was fantastic and the Bitter Woman IPA was very strong.
of beer.[/QUOTE]

cherry porter... sounds divine. and bitter woman ipa, i love beers with funny names, i have to find that one (i collect 6 packs and have a huge mural of them)

Some of my favorite beers of all-time..

Coors light and Miller Lite.. kidding.

I love Dog Fish Head 120 IPA(sucks that it's so rare), Scaldis, and one of my all-time favorites Duvel(but alot of people I'm sure have tried this already).

[quote name='dmaul1114']Had a couple decent beers the other night.

Both were fairly "cheap" relatively speaking at $5-6 for the 1 pt, 6 oz bottles. I'd give it a 3.5/5 (close to a 4, had to debate a bit on the score with my roommate and fellow beer snob. :D ).[/quote]

Wow I had a Smuttynose when I went to Philly the other day but it wasn't Belgium it was from New Hampshire it was $4.99 for a 12oz

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, all Smuttynose is from NH. :D The one I had was just Beligian STYLE brew. :D[/quote]

oh woops misunderstood your post, I think it was called Smuttynose Robust Porter it was alright

Yeah, I usually don't care for Smuttynose stuff. That's the first one I've had I've really liked.

Most of there stuff is too weak and watery for my tastes. They don't really "big" beers.

[quote name='cmart05']Some of my favorite beers of all-time..

Coors light and Miller Lite.. kidding.

I love Dog Fish Head 120 IPA(sucks that it's so rare), Scaldis, and one of my all-time favorites Duvel(but alot of people I'm sure have tried this already).[/quote]

cmart is hitting the high abv brews!

I'v never had DFH 120 (even though my local beer store has it all the time), but Scaldis and Duvel are both awesome. I had Scaldis Noel for Christmas and it was excellent.

The same beer store that I noted above has Scaldis Prestige from time to time but at $40 a bottle, I need someone to split the cost with me.

Duvel is just a good all around Belgian beer. I haven't had one in quite a while...

The DFH 120 was too much for me. I love the 90 Minute though.

Duvel is pretty good, but for Belgians my faves are Corsendonk Abby Brown, McChouffe Artisanal Belgian Brown, Deleriumn Nocturnum (and Tremens). Urthel makes some good stuff too.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The DFH 120 was too much for me. I love the 90 Minute though.

Duvel is pretty good, but for Belgians my faves are Corsendonk Abby Brown, McChouffe Artisanal Belgian Brown, Deleriumn Nocturnum (and Tremens). Urthel makes some good stuff too.[/quote]

Funnily enough, Duvel owns Brasserie d'Achouffe which makes McChouffe.

The only beer from d'Achouffe that I have had is the Christmas version (N'ice Chouffe) and it was really good.

There aren't many Belgian beers (strong ales) that I don't like.

Yeah, I tend to like the belgian browns, the abbey ales, and some of the tripels and quads. Don't like the golden ales, belgian ipas, or belgian white ales much. And hate the fruity lambics.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']cmart is hitting the high abv brews!

I'v never had DFH 120 (even though my local beer store has it all the time), but Scaldis and Duvel are both awesome. I had Scaldis Noel for Christmas and it was excellent.

The same beer store that I noted above has Scaldis Prestige from time to time but at $40 a bottle, I need someone to split the cost with me.

Duvel is just a good all around Belgian beer. I haven't had one in quite a while...[/quote]

hahaha.

Yeah it weird I have a hard time finding DFH 120 around here(Jersey) but when I go to Philly and when I went to Chicago I found them at like Whole Foods supermarkets and crap.

I like most of Dog Fish Heads stuff. Have you tried the Scaldis Prestige?

I see your from VA. I think I had a beer from there when I was down there a couple of years ago. Dominion something, I forget.

Has anyone tried the Rogue Chipotle Ale.. I took a sip and almost threw up.

For St. Patty's, I had Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale.

It was pretty fair, but I need something different that will get me talking about it.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, I like a lot of Rogue beers, but the Chipotle Ale is fucking awful.[/QUOTE]

Really? damn, that's one of the few I haven't tried. To make up for it, treat your palette to some Hazelnut Brown Ale.

Chipotle Ale just doesn't sound good. I never got into the hot pepper drinks unless it's Sweaty Mexican Balls.

And I second the lambic hate. It's the only reason I won't buy the Sam Adams sampler anymore. That lambic is the most vile excuse for a beer on this Earth.

[quote name='carpwrist']Really? damn, that's one of the few I haven't tried. To make up for it, treat your palette to some Hazelnut Brown Ale.[/QUOTE]

I found that one a bit watery and bland.

My faves of there's are the Double Dead Guy, the Shakespeare Stout and the Chocolate Stout (or maybe it's Mocha Porter rather).

Grabbed a 6 pack of Heavy Seas Peg Leg Imperial Stout and a 4 pack of Flying Dog Horn Dog Barleywine.

Needed some high ABV beer (8 and 10.x% respectively) to forget the shitty effort by WVU earlier!

Man, my wife had perfect timing today. I was literally reading the beer thread when she calls me from her cell asking if I need anything while she is out. She just happens to be on the same road as my favorite beer shop so I have her pick up a few for me (even some stuff we have been talking about):

Oskar Blues Ten Fidy
Duvel
Weyerbacher Blasphemy
Kulmbacher Eisebock
Ola Dubh Special Reserve 12

The wife picked up a Lindemans Cassis lambic for herself.

[quote name='cmart05']I like most of Dog Fish Heads stuff. Have you tried the Scaldis Prestige?

I see your from VA. I think I had a beer from there when I was down there a couple of years ago. Dominion something, I forget.[/quote]

I haven't tried the Prestige since I can't bring myself to spend $40 on a single bottle of beer. If I make it through the whole summer without my company laying me off, maybe I'll buy one to celebrate.

I've had a couple of the Old Dominion beers at a local beer festival that they throw each year. Their Barleywine, Millennium, is pretty darn good. The rest are pretty meh.

[quote name='depascal22']And I second the lambic hate. It's the only reason I won't buy the Sam Adams sampler anymore. That lambic is the most vile excuse for a beer on this Earth.[/quote]

To be honest, that Cranberry Lambic crap that is in the SA sampler is not representative of a true Belgian lambic. I can understand not liking the style in general, but don't judge it by that shit that SA puts out.

The Cranberry Lambic is much worse than others, but if you hate them you're probably not going to like any of them.

People that like bitter beers etc. generally aren't going to go for that kind of fruity stuff. Just requires a totally different palette.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that Old Dominion Barley Wine. Love barleywines, but I've hated everything by Dominion I've tried thus far. Still baffled by how they have an Oak Barrel Stout that is so damn weak and watery.

I like Red Stripe, Heineken Light and Samuel Adams (Oktoberfest and Cream Stout are two favorites). I do enjoy the Guiness with sourdough pretzels.

My local liq just put the Full Moon Winter Ale on clearance. $4 for a sixer and $13 for the case. First time I've ever truly felt like a Cheap Ass Beer Drinker.

[quote name='depascal22']I've tried other lambics and I still don't like them. Any suggestions for really good ones?[/quote]

If you want to try another one, I would suggest a Lindemans since they make pretty classic lambics but it sounds like you have done your due diligence on trying them. I just didn't want you to base your judgement on that cranberry lambic by SA b/c it is really bad. If you don't like lambics there is no point in wasting $7 to $10 on a bottle that you are just going to pour down the drain.

I don't drink lambics myself, but I don't hate them. I'm like dmaul in that I like pretty big, bold beers although I trend toward malty and not hoppy. That being said, if my wife can't seem to finish off her peche or framboise, I'll gladly down the rest of it for her.

So this weekend I had a Duvel (great as always) and the Blasphemy. It was sweet almost to the point of a Samichlaus and the alcohol is right up front. You know you are drinking a high ABV beer as soon as you take your first sip. It took me a whole movie's worth of time to finish a pint of it, and I was feeling pretty good once the glass was empty. I would definitely get it again.

Had probably the worst beer I've had in recent memory over the weekend.

Zaibo an "extra stout beer" from Lithuania. Was expecting it to be bad as it was pretty clear bodied, and had a tag than hung from the neck of the bottle advertising the 9.5% ABV.

But it was even worse than anticipated. Absolute piss. Tasted like a high ABV malt liquor or something. My roommate and I manged to finish it and then wash the taste out of our mouthes with some Ommegang Abbey Ale. :D

ive had a lot of new belguims might arrow recently, which i guess is their spring pale ale. tasty stuff, has a nice crisp to it, perfect for drinking a beer in the sun.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']
I haven't tried the Prestige since I can't bring myself to spend $40 on a single bottle of beer. If I make it through the whole summer without my company laying me off, maybe I'll buy one to celebrate.

I've had a couple of the Old Dominion beers at a local beer festival that they throw each year. Their Barleywine, Millennium, is pretty darn good. The rest are pretty meh..[/quote]

I hear you on lasting through the whole summer part man.. I've been lucky to have a few things go my way at the workplace but every day I still have a job it's a sigh of relief. I just may join in on that celebration hahaha.

Yeah the Old Dominion beer was OK, I think it was a seasonal one but I can't quite remember the name.

I saw someone talk about a milk stout beer. My favorite one is Lancaster Milk Stout. The restaurant I like to go eat at when I go to Philly has it on tap and the tap is the shape of a cow's udder it's pretty awesome looking.

I can't wait for Sam Adams Summer Ale to come back in season. I drank that on tap last year at Gameworks and got shit faced big time. I also bought a six pack of this because of the title alone.

339937502_4cf77b88dc.jpg

It's kind of strong for a wheat ale but it's pretty good. Too bad it's like ten bucks for a six pack.

almost forgot about this thread thou havnt been drinking much do to cut in hrs at work..thou i did open up a Stones Imperial Stout that has been sitting pretty in my frig since last season, tasted as good as i remember it, thou i could taste a bit more alcohol then usual..
Maybe i ll go out and see whats new at my beer distributor
cheers guys

FYI, with beers you can age like the Stone Imperial it's better to age them at room temperature in a dark room if possible (vs. aging them in the fridge). Basically like aging wine.

Oh i have it set to 55 degrees like the bottle says =)

best i can do since i dont have a basement

In that case you're good! Most people (myself included) keep the fridge colder than that.

Do you have a separate beer fridge?

[quote name='dmaul1114']Spent a few hours at the Stone Brewery when in CA for work last week. Definitely a cool place and of course the beer was great since they are my favorite brewery.

Had a couple beers I hadn't before--the Leviatation Ale which was pretty good and the Sublimely Self Righteous Ale which was damn good. Super hoppy, high ABV and dark.[/QUOTE]

oh and i am jealous that you got to try the Sublimely Self Righteous Ale..head good stuff from my cousin who use to work there

yup i got a small one, thou i almost had a full size one but my parents gave it away before i can grab it =(.. so the small one can hold only 12 22oz.. i got 2 stones oatmeal choc stout, 2 stones imperial 08, 1 veritical epic 07 07 07, 1 Stones double bastard and st. bern ap 12

[quote name='KNIVES'] 1 veritical epic 07 07 07[/QUOTE]

now that was a fantastic beer. i had it at a stones beer tasting thing and bought a bunch up. it was too good to save though, im jealous.

Now that sounds like a great beer fridge to behold.

So how long do you guys age your Stouts? Is there a standard time or is it all just personal opinion?

I've yet to get into the aging. Also no basement (and my place gets hot in the summer) and no room for a beer fridge. That and lack of patience/alcoholism! :D

I'd say to check sites like Beer Advocate for tips.

Well, I'm not really going to age them either but I was just curious. I don't have a basement either and my garage's temperature fluctuates way too much. It made a good beer fridge in the winter but it was much colder than 55 degrees and kept most of my beer frosty cold.

bread's done
Back