CAG Beer Drinkers Unite! Beer Snobs and Cheap Ass Drunks Welcome!

[quote name='NeoFrank1']I noticed some of you guys talking about Duvel, which is my favorite beer. Just wanted to let you know that if any of you are in the West Los Angeles area, there's a cafe called Overland Cafe (www.overlandcafe.com) that has Duvel for $2.50 during their happy hour which is 4-7pm every day, even Sa-Su. I love it.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to hit up that spot when I'm visiting family this family.

I'm another one of the Alabama guys finally being able to enjoy high grav beers, and I'm just now getting into beer in general. They're still very difficult to find in my area, but I found one place that carries it. They only have a selection of about 8 beers at the moment, though. I picked up some Sam Adams Imperial Stout and North Coast Brother Thelonious. I tried the Imperial Stout, but haven't tried the Brother Thelonious yet.

small world - Anniston is my hometown. Graduated from Saks in 94. Where in Anniston has high grav beers? Not sure if you frequent the freethehops.org website forums but they have good info on when/where new beers are in the state.

My latest - had a Unibroue la fin du monde tonight - probably my fav of theirs followed by a Sweetwater IPA. Earlier this week - Sam Adams imperial white - too sweet for me. Great Divide Yeti stout and Hercules DIPA - both are top notch stuff. Saranac imperial IPA - really enjoyed it - especially for the price. North Coast Old Stock 2009 - drool! Gulden Draak - double drool!

[quote name='bordjon']small world - Anniston is my hometown. Graduated from Saks in 94. Where in Anniston has high grav beers? Not sure if you frequent the freethehops.org website forums but they have good info on when/where new beers are in the state.

My latest - had a Unibroue la fin du monde tonight - probably my fav of theirs followed by a Sweetwater IPA. Earlier this week - Sam Adams imperial white - too sweet for me. Great Divide Yeti stout and Hercules DIPA - both are top notch stuff. Saranac imperial IPA - really enjoyed it - especially for the price. North Coast Old Stock 2009 - drool! Gulden Draak - double drool![/QUOTE]

Very cool! I'm over on the other side of town in Golden Springs. I just found out about the FTH site/forums a few days ago and checked it out. It pointed me in the direction of two places. One was the place I went to, The Wine Cellar on Quintard. The guy that runs it is just now getting a small selection going, but he's trying to get more, including Dogfish Head. The other place that was suggested on FTH is The Package Store in Alexandria. I haven't checked them out yet, but I may drop by to see what they have.

Yeah I've seen the Wine Cellar - know exactly where it is - may have to stop by next time I'm in town. My mom lives in golden springs now - moved there a year after I graduated high school.

DFH is spread thin at the moment. They shorted some distributors last year and so they promised they wouldn't do it this year. So they've told us (Alabama) they they wouldn't be coming in to the state until 2010 at the earliest - but who knows - we (Alabamians) are consuming this high grav stuff like crazy. The Colorado brews rep (Great Divide, Durango, Tommyknocker) said Alabama has already become their largest out of state market in a mere three weeks! That says a lot. I just purchased a few items from Allagash brewery up in Maine and put in a plug for Alabama - telling them to get there stuff down here asap - there's a lot of demand!

Pabst is a decent cheap beer if you ever get tired of the Natty/Busch/Keystone Trinity.
signature_deepthakur.jpg
:)

Yeah, now that you mention it, I do recall him saying that he wouldn't be able to get DFH until next year.

That's insane that Alabama is becoming such a large market. It's about time though. I'm looking forward to seeing more selections popping up.

for those of you who have missed it. three sheets is coming back in about a week or so to the fine living network (yeah, id check your provider for this one). so if youre a fan of the show its great news, evidently the 4th season was already finished when mojo went under, so they will be airing that and starting production on a 5th. if you havent seen the show, check it out. i believe its been described as (maybe even this thread) national geographic for alcoholics.

[quote name='rabbitt']I finally cracked open a bottle of Old Rasputin. It's every bit as good as it is hyped up to be.[/QUOTE]

I had one a few night ago. Love it. I found a place that sells it on draft but when I went they were all out :(

[quote name='Rodimus']I had one a few night ago. Love it. I found a place that sells it on draft but when I went they were all out :([/QUOTE]

I was afraid that I could only be disappointed by this brew from all of the hype that has come my way, but I'm pleased to say that Rasputin has far exceeded expectations. $9 for four ain't a bad price, either.

[quote name='rabbitt']I finally cracked open a bottle of Old Rasputin. It's every bit as good as it is hyped up to be.[/QUOTE]

I wish I could find it here. I've really wanted to try it.

Last time I drank a beer, it was a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, and I quite enjoyed it. Very smooth, good cherry flavor, and it distracted me from the fact that the only other thing to drink was Miller Lite :lol:

[quote name='lawdood']Blackened Voodoo from Nawlins is the beer of choice tonight...damn good.[/QUOTE]

Wow - Dixie beers all the way out in CA? I remember drinking that and a couple other Dixie beers here in Bama 15 years ago in college. Blackened Voodoo has some great packaging. They sorta disappeared from store shelves for a long while it seems and now I see it has popped back up in a few places at like 10 bux a sixer. We use to get it for nearly half that.

Had a Great Divide Hades belgian style golden last night. Not bad at all at 7.8%. Not quite as sweet as a real belgian golden.

I went to Zydeco's in Mooresville, IN on Friday. They have a damn good selection of Louisiana beers that you just can't find on the shelf around here. Best part is that most of them are priced between $2.50-$4 for a bottle. I tried:

Abita Jockamo IPA -- No bite at all. Tastes more like a heavy brown ale. Very disappointing.

Unibroue Fin du la Monde -- blonde with alot of spice in it. Blue Moon with some bite. Very good.

Unibroue Chambly Noire -- Belgian dark ale. Tasted a whole lot like the "IPA" surprisingly. I liked it because I was expeciting a heavy dark ale and this brings it in spades. Very good beer.

I've had a few tasty brews over the past week.

Stone Cali Beligique IPA (also Belgie--bottles are 50/50 on which name). Just the Stone IPA with a Beligian yeast. Has a different smell, and maybe a bit hoppier.

Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale. Damn good, a nice, super hoppy and dark strong ale.

Great Divide 15th Anniversary Oak Aged Double IPA. Also damn good. Well balanced with hops and malts, and nice oak flavor in the finish.

Have Stone 13th Anniversary in the fridge that I'll probably pop open in a bit.

Anyone else have a state that doesn't sell alcohol on Sundays? It's not a life changing problem but it's always shitty when I go to a party that started on Saturday and there's nothing but Bud Light and crappy fruit infused vodka on Sunday.

Ugh... I went to my Sis's wedding yesterday. I don't know what the hell I had. I remember watching the bartender pouring my first Long Island. Wow... Knew it was going to go downhill QUICK. Hangover wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

The Stone 13th Anniversary is damn good. Basically a hop lover's dream. Super hoppy, amber ale.

Forgot to list one above--Rogue Old Crustacean Barley Wine 2008. I didn't dig that one much. It was too bitter for a barleywine IMO.

[quote name='depascal22']Anyone else have a state that doesn't sell alcohol on Sundays? It's not a life changing problem but it's always shitty when I go to a party that started on Saturday and there's nothing but Bud Light and crappy fruit infused vodka on Sunday.[/QUOTE]

Yep, just moved to Georgia and they don't allow alcohol sales on Sunday. No biggie for me though. Lived in MD before, sales there varied by county and some didn't do Sunday sales, but I never lived in one of those counties.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The Stone 13th Anniversary is damn good. Basically a hop lover's dream. Super hoppy, amber ale.

.[/QUOTE]

ill have to check the 13th out, the 12th was fantastic.

[quote name='depascal22']It's never a big deal until that rare Sunday when people are in town and you run out of beer on Sunday. Then it sucks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I could see that. I seldom have big parties nor drink more than 2-3 with my friends so I usually have the fridge pretty well stocked. And it's always planned in advance as I'm too busy for spontaneous get together's so I always have time to make a beer run beforehand. It also helps having a kick ass beer store 2 or 3 miles away. :D

And there's usually some Jack Daniels or other bourbon on hand if the beer runs out. :D

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']ill have to check the 13th out, the 12th was fantastic.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's fantastic if you dig uber hoppy beers.

Also, FYI, the Sublimely Self Righteous Ale I mentioned above is the 11th Anniversary that they decided to bring back.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='depascal22']It's never a big deal until that rare Sunday when people are in town and you run out of beer on Sunday. Then it sucks.[/QUOTE]
Move closer to the state border :)

I live maybe 10 minutes from the NY border so I don't sweat CT's Sunday law as much.

Tried out a few recently. In addition to the North Coast Brother Thelonious, I had a North Coast Pranqster, Kasteel Tripel, and Unibroue La Fin du Monde. I really enjoyed them all. The Kasteel, with it's 11% alcohol, was good, but I'd rather have one of the others, especially La Fin du Monde.

[quote name='Flak']Move closer to the state border :)

I live maybe 10 minutes from the NY border so I don't sweat CT's Sunday law as much.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, Indianapolis is smack dab in the middle of the state. Man, I miss New York. Even the crappy grocery stores have crazy ass imports and the bodegas have tall cans of Bud for a $1. Perfect for the train rides back to New Rochelle.

I was downtown today and got some Subway for lunch and a King Cobra from the liquor place next door. Twas good.

[quote name='depascal22']Unfortunately, Indianapolis is smack dab in the middle of the state. Man, I miss New York. Even the crappy grocery stores have crazy ass imports and the bodegas have tall cans of Bud for a $1. Perfect for the train rides back to New Rochelle.[/QUOTE]
Definitely. My brother is really into Yuengling so we go down to this little convenience store to pick some up. Not as cheap as the warehouse store down the road from their brewery but still pretty cheap.

Newcastle's a good beer, I really like it. It's fairly common around here on draft which is a good thing.

I went to an Irish Pub and ordered a black and tan. The guy didn't know what I was talking about. I don't mean to make fun of him but I tought it was a comman drink, especially at an Irish Pub. Anyways when I told him it's a mix of Harp & Guinness he said "I don't think we mix beers here." He went back and asked and I got my beer so no harm.

Had my fair share of beer the pass few days. Don't recall what exactly seeing as every night we seemed to pick up more then we could drink. Was out in Iowa for a wedding. Nothing to do while there in Fort Dodge so, my buds and I did a lot of beer drinking. I do recall drinking something called Dead Man. Haven't had that one before...it was definitely good. Too bad many in that city enjoy 'golden' i.e. Domestic beers. I walk into their Beer cooler and it's piled sky high with that type.

Just missed you then. I was in Mason City over the weekend.

Tonight I wandered down to the Oaken Barrel in Greenwood, IN. Tried the Super Fly IPA and the Gnaw Bone Pale Ale. I'd definately recommend the Gnaw Bone. The Super Fly.....not so much. Way too much malt for an IPA for me.

Had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale last night, and their summer brew a few nights before. Pale Ale was great, Summerfest was decent.

Yeah, had to go wrong with the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. That, along with Sam Adams and Guinness are my stand bys that I get in bars/restaurants that have a pretty shoddy beer selections. Lesser selection than that and I don't drink or opt for wine or a Jack (or other whiskey) on the rocks or something.

Haven't had any beer lately (since the last updates I posed a couple weeks back) as I'm trying to cut back a bit as I drank a good bit more than usual the past 6 months from rooming with a fellow beer loving friend after my old roommate moved out, and I need to save some cash as I spent a lot of money on moving and getting stuff for the new place.

If any of y'all are ever in Texas, I highly recommend Live Oak's Hefeweizen. You can only get it in certain cities in the state, so take advantage of the chance, should you get it.

It's a really strong contender for my favorite beer (although I need to try it a few more times before I can come to that conclusion).

I'll third Sierra Nevada. It's such a good Pale Ale.

Unfortunately, I had a bad Sam Adams last night. The bartenders at TGI Fridays must not know how to tap a keg because it was flat and super malty. It tasted more like American Ale.

Do you guys get draught or bottle when you're in a restaurant? I used to be a draught man but I'm finding more and more restaurants where it seems like they let anybody tap the kegs. I know it seems like it's super easy to tap a keg but it's actually really easy to screw up and let too much air out when you're screwing it on. I guess I'll just be ordering bottles from now on unless I'm at a brewpub or small bar where I know the bartender.

Well I finally had a Dogfish Head 90 Min. IPA - and now I see what all the hype is about! It is pretty sweet and not very bitter for an IPA. Very well balanced. It's still not available in our state yet ( I picked up a ton of beer in Florida last week) but I hope it gets here soon. I'm a bit scared of that 120 min. sitting on my counter - afraid I'll like it too much and it's pricey stuff!

[quote name='bordjon']Well I finally had a Dogfish Head 90 Min. IPA - and now I see what all the hype is about! It is pretty sweet and not very bitter for an IPA. Very well balanced. It's still not available in our state yet ( I picked up a ton of beer in Florida last week) but I hope it gets here soon. I'm a bit scared of that 120 min. sitting on my counter - afraid I'll like it too much and it's pricey stuff![/QUOTE]

I was going to grab either this or the sixty-minute the other day, but it was all outdated! :x

[quote name='Fertil1ty']I don't drink beer cuz im straight-edge. Don't give in to peer pressure, just say no.[/QUOTE]

lol

[quote name='depascal22']
Do you guys get draught or bottle when you're in a restaurant? I used to be a draught man but I'm finding more and more restaurants where it seems like they let anybody tap the kegs. I know it seems like it's super easy to tap a keg but it's actually really easy to screw up and let too much air out when you're screwing it on. I guess I'll just be ordering bottles from now on unless I'm at a brewpub or small bar where I know the bartender.[/QUOTE]

Draft usually. Especially if I'm at a beer place (brew pub, restuarant with lots of taps that people go to mainly for the beer etc.).

Chain restaurants etc. I just tend to not get beer as they're probably not going to have anything better than Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada at inflated prices, and I'd rather just save cash and have a water or diet soda and just get beer at place that has good microbrews etc. on tap.

[quote name='Fertil1ty']I don't drink beer cuz im straight-edge. Don't give in to peer pressure, just say no.[/QUOTE]

fuck off, loser.

I don't think any of the regular posters here are drinking beer out of peer pressure. Most of us are adults (I'm 30) who drink beer as we love the taste and love trying new beers and comparing beers etc.

Not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic or some dipshit kid drinking out of peer pressure.

I'm 27 and I didn't start drinking beer until I was 23. I was never peer preasured into drinking. When I was young I thought beer tasted awful and I never drank it, but as I got older my palette matured. That doesn't mean I think all beer tastes good. I'm selective and usually buy more expensive beers with a lot of flavor. I like to enjoy what I drink, not to get drunk.

bread's done
Back