CAG Car Thread!

I rented a car until I got the wifes new car in for the film. Wasn't happy, reserved a Fusion, got a Jeep Patriot. That thing barely got better mpg than my modified Tahoe 4x4 and you could sand off a callious on the dash.
I've always heard Patriots are terrible. I didn't know they rented them though.

I've always heard Patriots are terrible. I didn't know they rented them though.
CVT model to boot. An awful, awful CVT.

In Avis's hairbrained scheme, the Patriot is on par with fusion because of is size class, small SUV = midsize. Ignore the fact it costs half of what some of the Fusions they stock cost(they carry some Titanium trim levels)

She's finally home.

Bm69Bit.jpg

Yes, I left the protective wrap on the hood and there's already a rock chip on the bumper :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Android Auto is pretty cool. Google's voice recognition is fantastic, it strangely works(understands me better) than any time I use on my phone itself, guess Pioneer give a great mic.

My older phone I take to work(hard on my phones, extreme temps do to working outside) was finally given support in the AA app so I will be using it more than on weekends when I use my new G4.

But, I will say that I wish it could play the music from your stereo SD card slot. I have almost all my music there and very little on my phone, so I have to swap to the pioner system OS to work the music. Its just a minor thing, and it auto switches back to AA after 20 seconds or so.

I wish it showed more card types. Haven't seen sports scores even though google does on my phone. Maybe in an update

Hello! Here's my car that I got a few weeks ago, upgraded from a 97 Accord. It's a 2013 Honda Accord Sport. Drives really nice.

I originally wanted to get a station wagon of some sort because that's what my old Accord was and I loved how much stuff I could put in it like from yard sales or art supplies. But I really liked the look of this car and how nicely it drives so I got that instead. Has a decent amount of space too.

m2nwYGJ.jpg

Here is the car I'm picking up for my wife on Saturday!  I do enjoy working with dealers on a day to day basis, makes finding a car super easy and no need for negotiation since you can see all the behind the scenes stuff with them.

02.jpg

2015 Jeep Gran Cherokee Limited 

Oh I want to play!

2008 Honda Civic SI - Nighthawk Black Pearl

OEM HFP body kit, HFP full suspension, HFP rims, Yokohama tired, Mugen short shift kit, Hondata Flashpro, Kraftwerks Supercharger (12psi), 1000cc injectors, DW65c fuel pump, Hasport mounts, Skunk2 Alpha header, Q300 exhaust. I am missing a ton of stuff, but here is my sleeper (no stickers/decals, and the car is quiet until you hit 5000rpms, and runs out to 8600rpms. Can drive "stock" when you want it, but once you put your foot in it, the boost is instant. Tuned at IMW - making just a hair under 400whp, and weighs in at 2940lbs on track scales. Runs 12's all day, but the real magic is the 30mph-160mph+ rolls. 

I'd blow right past 425whp if I switched to e85 and a retune, but the car runs so damn smooth I don't want to mess with it. I've smashed on some really really nice high end cars - best kill was a 06ish M3 (that was my absolute closest race) but my coolest "kill" was a SRT Ram V10 truck (viper motor, in a truck). Just due to the rarity of the truck. 

image2_zpsf4333640-1.jpeg

IMG_1173_zps277682a4-1.jpg

image1_zps0b36ba39.jpeg

20150922_151817_zps8mrfrqdq.jpg

So here's a weird story.  My sister sent me an email asking me if I thought this sounded right.  She called a dealership to order parts and the guy told her he would call her back when they arrived.  The guy called her back from his personal phone and told her he was going to get her a [five finger] discount.  She called the dealership back and the guy tells her he's going to check on the status.  He later texts her back telling her not to call the dealership because that is a recorded line.  He wanted to meet up with her this morning before his shift at some parking lot to sell her the parts.  She luckily didn't go through with it, but man what a dbag.

Oh I want to play!

2008 Honda Civic SI - Nighthawk Black Pearl

OEM HFP body kit, HFP full suspension, HFP rims, Yokohama tired, Mugen short shift kit, Hondata Flashpro, Kraftwerks Supercharger (12psi), 1000cc injectors, DW65c fuel pump, Hasport mounts, Skunk2 Alpha header, Q300 exhaust. I am missing a ton of stuff, but here is my sleeper (no stickers/decals, and the car is quiet until you hit 5000rpms, and runs out to 8600rpms. Can drive "stock" when you want it, but once you put your foot in it, the boost is instant. Tuned at IMW - making just a hair under 400whp, and weighs in at 2940lbs on track scales. Runs 12's all day, but the real magic is the 30mph-160mph+ rolls.

I'd blow right past 425whp if I switched to e85 and a retune, but the car runs so damn smooth I don't want to mess with it. I've smashed on some really really nice high end cars - best kill was a 06ish M3 (that was my absolute closest race) but my coolest "kill" was a SRT Ram V10 truck (viper motor, in a truck). Just due to the rarity of the truck.
That's pretty damn impressive. How's the traction like with all that power through the front wheels? Monster torque steer, I presume?

Well Mazda showed off the new CX-9 and it might replace my Tahoe next year. Only downer is it lost 23 HP going to a Turbo 4....but it gained 40 Torque so that's ok I guess.....but then Mazda said the power delivery drops off after 4000 because it was engineered for everyday driving.

That worries me because that's the crap BMW started saying before they started watering stuff down. It's going to have active torque distributing AWD now.

Why is all this exciting, besides a family vehicle to replace my aging truckUV? Think of that AWD and turbo four in some new MazdaSpeed models!

It looks fantastic inside and out, and first drive reports are out next week. Love the Napa Leather and Japanese Rosewood trim

I think it's finally time to get rid of the old bimmer.  I need about $4K in repairs to get it in perfect running condition again.  Since the car is only worth about $8K, I don't think it makes sense to keep it.  

I'm looking at some used cars but don't know what to focus on.  This is what I'm looking for:

-Luxury 
-4 doors
-AWD 
-Reliable
-Relatively cheap maintenance
I really like the IS350, but there are only 30 available within 250 miles from me, none of which are the color I like.  I thought about the WRX, but it's probably not a good idea to buy a used one seeing how some people tend to beat on them.  How are the Audi A4 or Infinity G37/Q50 for reliability?

I think it's finally time to get rid of the old bimmer. I need about $4K in repairs to get it in perfect running condition again. Since the car is only worth about $8K, I don't think it makes sense to keep it.

I'm looking at some used cars but don't know what to focus on. This is what I'm looking for:

-Luxury
-4 doors
-AWD
-Reliable
-Relatively cheap maintenance
I really like the IS350, but there are only 30 available within 250 miles from me, none of which are the color I like. I thought about the WRX, but it's probably not a good idea to buy a used one seeing how some people tend to beat on them. How are the Audi A4 or Infinity G37/Q50 for reliability?
How much are you looking to spend? Sounds like around $30k? I'm sure you can pick up a WRX Limited for that money at the right dealership. I think I got mine for almost $1k under invoice, which is unheard of in these parts. I'd say $600-700 under invoice should be doable for you with very little negotiation. I can refer you to my salesman if you want. No games were played at that dealership and it was a VERY smooth car buying experience. They also gave me $800 over everyone else's offer on my BRZ.

I like the IS too and was on my shortlist, but it definitely feels smaller than your average compact sedan and it definitely won't drive like your bimmer. Personally, I think the CT200h drives a lot better, not to mention it being a hatch and a hybrid. Downside is that it's even smaller than an IS.

I LOVE Audi interiors, but not sold on exteriors and reliability/cost of service. I know someone at Westwood Audi if you're interested in a car out there. I can't guarantee a discount or that he won't try to rip you off though; it's been a while since we've had any contact...haha. He should still consider me as someone that was a decent friend though! :D

How much are you looking to spend? Sounds like around $30k? I'm sure you can pick up a WRX Limited for that money at the right dealership. I think I got mine for almost $1k under invoice, which is unheard of in these parts. I'd say $600-700 under invoice should be doable for you with very little negotiation. I can refer you to my salesman if you want. No games were played at that dealership and it was a VERY smooth car buying experience. They also gave me $800 over everyone else's offer on my BRZ.

I like the IS too and was on my shortlist, but it definitely feels smaller than your average compact sedan and it definitely won't drive like your bimmer. Personally, I think the CT200h drives a lot better, not to mention it being a hatch and a hybrid. Downside is that it's even smaller than an IS.

I LOVE Audi interiors, but not sold on exteriors and reliability/cost of service. I know someone at Westwood Audi if you're interested in a car out there. I can't guarantee a discount or that he won't try to rip you off though; it's been a while since we've had any contact...haha. He should still consider me as someone that was a decent friend though! :D
You are right on, my absolute max is 30K. I will have to test drive and see. The CT200h does seem like a good value. I don't really mind it being small since the kids are sitting in the back and we have the Touareg if we need to stretch out.

Does the WRX have the same feel as a GTI? I test drove one a couple of months back and I wasn't convinced. Yes, it was fast, but the ride was definitely a bit rough.

Thanks man, I'll PM you once I get to the actual test drives and stuff.

If you're going to buy the subaru please let me know I have $500 coupon I can give you as I'm an ambassador for them and I don't mind helping :)

Also,

We just added an old ass Chevy pick up truck to our family. It's from the 70s I don't know the exact year. Was wondering though if anyone had experience with plasti dipping a whole car? We don't want to paint it right now

You are right on, my absolute max is 30K. I will have to test drive and see. The CT200h does seem like a good value. I don't really mind it being small since the kids are sitting in the back and we have the Touareg if we need to stretch out.

Does the WRX have the same feel as a GTI? I test drove one a couple of months back and I wasn't convinced. Yes, it was fast, but the ride was definitely a bit rough.

Thanks man, I'll PM you once I get to the actual test drives and stuff.
I've never been in one, so it's kinda hard for me to compare. It's definitely softer than the BRZ though!

Well I tried to take a look at used WRX's, but most of them are manual.  My wife won't let me get a manual car since she will be driving it too :lol:.  I hear the CVT isn't very engaging on it, so I guess that's out.

I think I've narrowed my search down to the G37 or the IS350.  The G37's are supposed to be pretty reliable and cheap to maintain and since they are plentiful, that's what I will likely end up with.  I test drove it and it's a really fun drive, comparable in feel to my 328, but also quicker.  My only gripe with it is that there's no AUX port.  It has a USB port that only works with i-devices or flash drives.  If I want to do bluetooth streaming, I have to get the navigation.  

Well I tried to take a look at used WRX's, but most of them are manual. My wife won't let me get a manual car since she will be driving it too :lol:. I hear the CVT isn't very engaging on it, so I guess that's out.

I think I've narrowed my search down to the G37 or the IS350. The G37's are supposed to be pretty reliable and cheap to maintain and since they are plentiful, that's what I will likely end up with. I test drove it and it's a really fun drive, comparable in feel to my 328, but also quicker. My only gripe with it is that there's no AUX port. It has a USB port that only works with i-devices or flash drives. If I want to do bluetooth streaming, I have to get the navigation.
I don't think you should give up on the WRX just yet. One of the local-ish dealers if offering $2k off msrp, which is pretty close to about $500 under dealer invoice. With Equistina's ambassador coupon, you'll be close to $1k under invoice without even haggling. If you skip the nav package, you could probably be under $30k even after TTL.

The thing about the CVT in the WRX is that the various modes makes a difference in how it feels. SI is your economy mode and it is SMOOTH, S hangs on to the revs to about 3k rpm, and S# really pulls hard through every simulated gear. The downside is that there is a lag when switching from reverse to drive and vice versa. It feels like slack in the chain, but is apparently normal according to NASIOC...or maybe it isn't and I don't want to bring the car in for a new tranny...lolz.

The G37 is a good pick too though. Tons of room and a comfortable ride.

Have you considered a TL?

I don't think you should give up on the WRX just yet. One of the local-ish dealers if offering $2k off msrp, which is pretty close to about $500 under dealer invoice. With Equistina's ambassador coupon, you'll be close to $1k under invoice without even haggling. If you skip the nav package, you could probably be under $30k even after TTL.

The thing about the CVT in the WRX is that the various modes makes a difference in how it feels. SI is your economy mode and it is SMOOTH, S hangs on to the revs to about 3k rpm, and S# really pulls hard through every simulated gear. The downside is that there is a lag when switching from reverse to drive and vice versa. It feels like slack in the chain, but is apparently normal according to NASIOC...or maybe it isn't and I don't want to bring the car in for a new tranny...lolz.

The G37 is a good pick too though. Tons of room and a comfortable ride.

Have you considered a TL?
It wouldn't hurt to check out. Which dealer is it? I did a quick 30 mile radius search on cars.com, but only came up with 3 CVT options, all at $35K.

I did read up on the TL and the TLX since they are in my price range too, but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

I found an IS350 AWD, but it's all the way out in NJ. I still can't believe they're so hard to find.

It wouldn't hurt to check out. Which dealer is it? I did a quick 30 mile radius search on cars.com, but only came up with 3 CVT options, all at $35K.

I did read up on the TL and the TLX since they are in my price range too, but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

I found an IS350 AWD, but it's all the way out in NJ. I still can't believe they're so hard to find.
Can you pm your email to me? I'll send you the ad, but I'm sure any good dealer will match it. Unfortunately, if there are only 3 within 30 miles, chances are that those might be it for the 2016 MY since ordering was closed a few weeks ago and 2017 hasn't opened up yet. Even if they don't have exactly what you want, it's still worth a test drive IMO. It might be possible to do a dealer swap at the port, but I'm guessing there'll still be a little wait for delivery. At $35k, it sounds like a Limited with Nav package.

The TLX is an awesome car. Handles really well, quiet as hell, tons of room, and definitely has some pep for the engine. Like I was REALLY surprised at how quiet it was even compared to the IS. I was also seriously considering a TL before I ordered the WRX, but like your IS350, none popped up with the Advance package for over a month, so I just went with a WRX. Pretty sure it would've saved me a few grand in purchase price, taxes, and insurance too, but I don't regret it one bit! :D

edit: Looks like there are 7 within 50 miles of where I live and Ira in Danvers has a silver one. Quirk in Braintree also has a black one. Both don't have the nav package.

Yeowch...2017 WRX Limited starts at $600 more than the 2016's and all you get is an auto up/down front passenger window and tricot headliner.

Update: The Chevy has taken over our life now. I've been helping my husband order parts upon parts D:
I ended up finding out what year. It's a 70 C10 . We are the second owners so that's cool :)

Can you pm your email to me? I'll send you the ad, but I'm sure any good dealer will match it. Unfortunately, if there are only 3 within 30 miles, chances are that those might be it for the 2016 MY since ordering was closed a few weeks ago and 2017 hasn't opened up yet. Even if they don't have exactly what you want, it's still worth a test drive IMO. It might be possible to do a dealer swap at the port, but I'm guessing there'll still be a little wait for delivery. At $35k, it sounds like a Limited with Nav package.

The TLX is an awesome car. Handles really well, quiet as hell, tons of room, and definitely has some pep for the engine. Like I was REALLY surprised at how quiet it was even compared to the IS. I was also seriously considering a TL before I ordered the WRX, but like your IS350, none popped up with the Advance package for over a month, so I just went with a WRX. Pretty sure it would've saved me a few grand in purchase price, taxes, and insurance too, but I don't regret it one bit! :D

edit: Looks like there are 7 within 50 miles of where I live and Ira in Danvers has a silver one. Quirk in Braintree also has a black one. Both don't have the nav package.
Thanks for the suggestions man! I actually ended up putting a deposit down on a 2013 G37x with navi and premium packages after seeing them drop the price again. It only has 10K miles on it, so it's pretty much brand new. I'll post some pics once I pick it up.

Wow, 10k is nothing for a 3+ year old car. It might be due for a battery sooner or later from the lack of being driven...haha

But more importantly, did you do the right thing and buy a black car?

Phew.... Just bought a 2015 Kia Soul. Put down cash money and paid the whole thing off today. I love it.

My wife has been driving around in an old ass Saturn for years. Now that we have some money I wanted to get her something a little more comfy. 

Never had a car with bluetooth so I'm having fun playing with all the bells & whistles.

Phew.... Just bought a 2015 Kia Soul. Put down cash money and paid the whole thing off today. I love it.

My wife has been driving around an old Saturn so now that we have some money I wanted to get her something a little more comfy.

Never had a car with bluetooth so I'm having playing with all the bells & whistles.

Cool, plenty of room for Cringer. :cool:

^^ Seriously, that's huge.  We are done paying the Touareg in February, but I just bought this car, so it continues.

dohdough, you going to any autocross events this year?

^^ Seriously, that's huge. We are done paying the Touareg in February, but I just bought this car, so it continues.

dohdough, you going to any autocross events this year?
Probably not. We're down to one car, so no autocross unless we get another one, which probably won't be for at least a year.

I'm hoping to have a garage so I can do mine when it's time and then maybe upgrade the brake lines. Chances are I'll screw it up though...haha.

Anyone else watch the new season of Top Gear?  My wife thought I was watching Jim Cramer with Chris's yelling.  Not bad I guess, but I'll have to see more of it.

The time has come to get a new vehicle and I was wondering what other folks think about the 'mid sized' pickups out there (Frontier, Tacoma, Colorado, etc).  I have no brand preference, just looking to get a good deal on a reliable vehicle.  Current vehicle is a 2004 Grand Cherokee that is starting to nickel and dime me.

The time has come to get a new vehicle and I was wondering what other folks think about the 'mid sized' pickups out there (Frontier, Tacoma, Colorado, etc). I have no brand preference, just looking to get a good deal on a reliable vehicle. Current vehicle is a 2004 Grand Cherokee that is starting to nickel and dime me.
The Taco has a pretty loyal following, my friend has one and he loves it. From what I understand, they're tremendously reliable.

The Taco has a pretty loyal following, my friend has one and he loves it. From what I understand, they're tremendously reliable.
They hold their value well too. My father in law's 2003 model is still worth around $15K with over 100K miles. I couldn't believe it was worth more than my 2007 3 series :lol:

They hold their value well too. My father in law's 2003 model is still worth around $15K with over 100K miles. I couldn't believe it was worth more than my 2007 3 series :lol:
Yeah, my friend actually who has one actually had one already, he traded in his old one for practically as much as the new one cost!

Been very happy with my 05 taco access cab. Base model (well it does have the sliding rear window haha) and it only has like 30k miles on it believe it or not! I bought it from my father in law about 7 years ago. It's hauled quite a bit over the years including my most precious cargo - my two little girls and my wife!

Anyone have recommendations for an aftermarket double-DIN stereo that works well with Android?  Not necessarily something that supports Android Auto, because my phone isn't new enough to support it but maybe since I need to upgrade that eventually anyway... I really just want something with a touchscreen that can make calls and play music over Bluetooth, integrates well with maps/navigation, and can render Unicode characters in song titles.  This one meets all of those except for the navigation: https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-X5700BHS-Double-DIN-Motorized-Bluetooth/dp/B00P6V2HQI

bread's done
Back