CAG Car Thread!

Are you really pushing your car at every corner to need the stronger sidewalls? :lol:
Hahaha...twice a day! In the morning, I get off at the Mass Ave exit on 93S and the turn to go onto Melnea Cass Blvd is a perfect curve at 40-45mph: wide enough to have your own space in traffic and safe enough to push it a little to see the car REALLY shine all while staying within the speed limit. On my way home, there's a relatively tight turn into the condo complex road that's just plain fun to go around because the entrance road is an "S." Even at 20mph from the turn into the S is good enough to take care of the ricer in me. :D

I have to admit that it's a bit daunting sometimes because there's a utility pole right at the apex of the first turn that many cars have hit and currently looks like it's about to collapse. I'm paranoid about such things. :rofl:

Ha, I wish. At least I got my car back in a day, so I can't complain in that regard. I think I only get a loaner if I go to my "home" dealer. Last time I got a 2013 328i with the 4 cylinder turbo for a loaner. It was definitely quick, but I was still happy to be back in my car.
Yeah, nothing beats the feeling of being in your own car. I've been in "nicer" cars for loaners, but all they did was make me miss my own car even more...haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you guys tried the Hankook V12s? A bunch of people over on the bimmer forums use them and really like them.

In other news, my car overheated this past weekend. I was driving down the highway and all of a sudden, the thermostat light came on and my car started losing power. I had to pull over to the side and let it cool down. I slowly made my way to the next exit, which was a half a mile, and then to a gas station.

I had to have it towed to the dealer since it was closest and I don't have AAA. It turned out to be the water pump. They replaced the water pump and thermostat and also found the serpentine belt was loose because the tensioner was failing. So after $1750, I have my car back. :headache:
I had the Hankooks on my G35, they wore pretty well, but handling wasn't the greatest with them.

I have to admit that it's a bit daunting sometimes because there's a utility pole right at the apex of the first turn that many cars have hit and currently looks like it's about to collapse. I'm paranoid about such things. :rofl:
I'm definitely paranoid about that stuff. I've spun out twice, once with the bimmer and once with my old civic. Luckily, I didn't do any damage either time, but I did get stuck in the mud with the bimmer and had to get towed out. :oops:

Finally got my car back last night.

Body shop did an AWESOME job with putting the car back together and everything fits better than when I bought it. Too bad that that some touch-up work was piss poor and they swirled up the bumper, but that's something that I'd be taking care of when I have it detailed next spring.

Maybe it's just me, but is it really that hard for a body shop to properly buff a car or something?

Finally got my car back last night.

Body shop did an AWESOME job with putting the car back together and everything fits better than when I bought it. Too bad that that some touch-up work was piss poor and they swirled up the bumper, but that's something that I'd be taking care of when I have it detailed next spring.

Maybe it's just me, but is it really that hard for a body shop to properly buff a car or something?
To be fair, most people don't know what a detailed car looks like. I almost wish I'd never started researching it, because then I would be happy with my swirled car :lol:

What happened to your car? I think I missed that post.

To be fair, most people don't know what a detailed car looks like. I almost wish I'd never started researching it, because then I would be happy with my swirled car :lol:
HAHAHA...yeah, no kidding! I'm fighting the urge to take it to Rick like right now. Gotta wait a couple months for the paint to fully cure anyways.

What happened to your car? I think I missed that post.
I don't think I mentioned it in this forum. Attempted break in(luckily the guy wasn't able to break out my passenger-side window because someone stopped him), hit and run on my rear bumper, and a deep door ding on the passenger door. All 3 incidents happened within the span of a month, so I'm hoping for more luck over the next few weeks...haha.

I don't think I mentioned it in this forum. Attempted break in(luckily the guy wasn't able to break out my passenger-side window because someone stopped him), hit and run on my rear bumper, and a deep door ding on the passenger door. All 3 incidents happened within the span of a month, so I'm hoping for more luck over the next few weeks...haha.
Ouch... That's right, you did tell me about the break in but not about the other stuff. Glad you have it back though!

HAHAHA...yeah, no kidding! I'm fighting the urge to take it to Rick like right now. Gotta wait a couple months for the paint to fully cure anyways.

Damn, that is a serious run of bad luck. I need to get my bumper repainted and some other minor paint work to touch up my car. I just bought new tires though, so that'll have to probably wait for a bit.

Damn, that is a serious run of bad luck. I need to get my bumper repainted and some other minor paint work to touch up my car. I just bought new tires though, so that'll have to probably wait for a bit.
Haha...dude, you have NO idea and it's only with cars. Everything else in my life is actually pretty good and hard for me to complain.

Did you get another set of Hankook's? I find that even if I'm happy with a set, I always want to try something different to see if I'll like it more. :D

Your car is a beast though. Maybe I'll move up to it one day if I want a little less rawness and more luxury in a coupe. I'll buy used because I know somehow, that car will get fucked up too. :rofl:

How's the power on that?
The Subarus power is antiquate for my wife. The gas mileage is over 30 and the AWD is why we bought it. We live in NY. Nice car though. My wife loves it. You have to get used to the transmission it feels like it never shifts gears.

The Subarus power is antiquate for my wife. The gas mileage is over 30 and the AWD is why we bought it. We live in NY. Nice car though. My wife loves it. You have to get used to the transmission it feels like it never shifts gears.
I was deciding between the XV and the Forester. Ended up with the Forester because I had read that the XV was underpowered. I was thinking the 2014s might get a boost in power but there's been no news on the 14s except a hybrid that is pretty much useless because it barely gets any better mpgs.

Haha...dude, you have NO idea and it's only with cars. Everything else in my life is actually pretty good and hard for me to complain.

Did you get another set of Hankook's? I find that even if I'm happy with a set, I always want to try something different to see if I'll like it more. :D

Your car is a beast though. Maybe I'll move up to it one day if I want a little less rawness and more luxury in a coupe. I'll buy used because I know somehow, that car will get fucked up too. :rofl:
Actually, I didn't get Hankooks again, like you, I like to try new tires. :) I went to the factory Bridgestones next, which were okay, they were stickier then the Hankooks, but didn't wear as well, only got about 20k miles on them before they got unbearably loud. Currently sitting on Goodyear Eagle GT All Seasons, they're not too bad pricewise, we'll see how long they'll hold out. I primarily needed back seats to transport my little dogs around, so I had to get this over a 350z. :( It's been a fun car though!

What brand/ line of wipers do you guys use? I'm not afraid to pay more for good ones. I just want good value for the money and not just pay for branding.

Winter is coming.

What brand/ line of wipers do you guys use? I'm not afraid to pay more for good ones. I just want good value for the money and not just pay for branding.

Winter is coming.
I like Bosch Icons and I'm super anal about having a clean windshield. PIAA's are a close second, but for the money Anco Contours are just as good. I switch mine out every 6 months, but I think I'm going to stick with the OEM blades for now. Aftermarket replacement arms tend to require a little more maintenance in regards to cleaning and tend to scratch the glass more than OEM blade refills when not clean though. I've also used the non-Icon line of Bosch wiper arms, but they don't last as long as the Icons. Now that I come to think of it, nothing keeps glass clean as long as the Icons and that's what I'd suggest.

Icons go on sale regularly for b1g1, so I recommend stocking up on a couple sets.

Autozone, NAPA, Advanced Auto usually run specials and when Bosch has rebates, Amazon is a participating retailer. When Advanced Auto has those $40 off $100 purchases, that's a pretty good time too. Anytime you're able to get a blade for under $20 is generally a decent deal either way.

Autozone, NAPA, Advanced Auto usually run specials and when Bosch has rebates, Amazon is a participating retailer. When Advanced Auto has those $40 off $100 purchases, that's a pretty good time too. Anytime you're able to get a blade for under $20 is generally a decent deal either way.
Thanks. Amazon is the magic word. I'll be on the lookout. Add it to my amazon wish list.

Side note: who was that one idiot that used to say "40 blades for such and such a game."? I think he got banned. The word dollars was apparently not cool enough.

I forgot to mention that aftermarket wipers don't have the same coverage area as OEM blades due to the curve in the glass.

Some people also use RainX, but I've never been a fan of it.

Happy to help though and that person sounds like a real toolbag! :rofl:

I'll post in the thread or send you a pm when I see them on sale.

[quote name="confoosious" post="11156941" timestamp="1382568827"]
I've used rain x wipers before. Wasn't very impressed.[/quote]
Same here. I've been using the oem blades since they have worked so well. They're not to bad either at around $30-40 a pair.

I'm glad I got the clear bra on the Touareg. This would have been painful:

musebunu.jpg

Just got back from my honeymoon on Kauai....

rented a 2013 Mustang convertible. Having a convertible on that island is awesome, but yeah... what a great place to cruise.

20131019_160800.jpg

I've also never seen so many mustangs in my life. On a side note.... such a pretty island.

Here's the view from my hotel:

1450770_10151742186134142_1685963620_n.jpg

I know some of you live in snowy climates, so convince me to either stay with Blizzaks or go with X-Ice 3's.

Now that I'm driving more, the Blizzaks will have their winter/snow tread gone in no more than 3 seasons, which would then require me to get a completely new set. Whereas the X-Ice 3's should last me at least 6 years if the rubber doesn't start cracking, but doesn't have the same kind of tread depth for snow as the Blizzaks. I don't see snow that often, but we usually get pummeled when we do. Considering the car is a low and lightweight RWD, I'm guessing that I won't be driving in anything over 4 inches to begin with unless it's an emergency.

Tirerack reviews puts them pretty close in winter/snow performance, but the X-Ice 3's have got the Blizzaks beat when it comes to dry-road handling.

Ok... I really should have looked at this thread before letting my wife buy a car.

So two months ago her Honda 2003 civic finally tanked.  She had her eyes on a 2014 KIA Sorento.  Since my parents had experience in buying cars and thought that Kia's were pretty good, they helped out my wife.  The first night the negotiations didn't go as they wanted to so the next day we went to another dealership.

Me, my dad and my wife agreed that if one of us does not feel comfortable with the situation, we will walk away.

The guy who approached us did nothing but run his mouth for 20 minutes and IMO was full of shit. 

The one that my wife wanted was not on the lot but a similar colored one was and the dealer offered to sell that one for the cheaper price.  It had some extra's that cost more but he was tossing it in for free.  Just the interior didn't go well with her.  Despite me trying to convince her that it can be covered up with a car seat, she still wanted the other one.

The dealer claimed that he can have the other one brought to the lot within 20 mins from another location that is 45+ mins away.  We dared him to bring it to us within 20 mins and even his finance guy who was familiar with that area said there is no way that car can get here in 20 mins.  We waited nearly 3 hrs for the car and kept on saying that guy is sure taking his time for a 20 min trip. 

The car arrives, only not as described.   The dealer then tried slamming the extended warranties and some stupid protection for more money.  I called them out when they said "It protects against acid rain..........".   Given the fact that I was a teacher, I gave them a little lecture about "Acid Rain" and the effects on today's cars.  Once he heard that he just shut up about it because he knew he was full of bullshit.

When they added that stupid dealers (forgot the title) fee, I tried getting them to explain it and what does it cover and they refused to tell us and refused to take it off or reduce it.  

I told both my wife and father that it feels too shady and that we should walk away.  No one listened.

The dealer said my wife would qualify for additional discounts if she proved she was in college and had proof that she owned another car from a list.  We provided all the documentations.  I still didn't like the numbers but it wasn't my car.

So I left hoping that the others would get the "hint".  She ended up getting the car.

Fast forward to this month, my wife started getting calls from that dealer saying that she gave him my "transcripts" and still didn't have the DMV information he requested.  ALL of THIS was given to him during the day she bought the car.  Now he is leaving voice mails saying that if she doesn't provide the information by 3pm today, her discounts will be taken off.   WHAT THE fuck???  It's not our fault the dealer is an unorganized idiot.

So the question is, can the dealer contact us 2 months later to request documents that were already given/seen by him during the purchase of the car and the agreement with price already set in stone and threaten to take away the discounts?  What is his game?

First off, wow. Secondly, WOW!

This is all contingent on you having read your contract and the assumption that the dealer isn't bullshitting you. What you should do first is to read your contract.

What I would've done is call Kia Motor Finance to inquire about the discounts and whether or not there is missing paperwork and if there is, find out if you can submit it straight to them. After that, file a complaint against this dealership for losing your paperwork. This is all assuming that you financed directly through Kia because those discounts are generally only given if you finance with the manufacturer, not to be confused with the dealership. Then, I would call the GM of the dealership and tell them how pissed you are that the dealership lost the paperwork and that you've filed a complaint with Kia Corporate.

My question is who, from the dealership, actually called you? The F&I guy? The salesman is only there to get you to agree to a price, not handle the financing aspect of it. It's highly unlikely that the financing fell through 2 months after the fact, but READ YOUR CONTRACT.

Joke response:
For $25k, I would've bought a CRV or Rav4. :D

This is why I will never buy a car at a stealership again. What you do is do your negotiating beforhand by calling up multiple dealers and asking for the fleet sales manager or internet sales manager. Tell them you just want the out the door price. Do your financing elsewhere unless they offer you 0% and without too many discounts/strings attached. If you're lazy there are sites like Carwoo that will sort of do that for you, but you won't get as good a price for sure.

Also I test drove the Tesla S last weekend and that experience was as straightforward as it comes. Their sales people don't pressure you and let you take your time with the car. It's clearly the future

In other news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrvUg1G3hFY

wewt, I wonder what the V version will be. When I buy my next car it's going to be a tough choice. Part of me wants the C7 Corvette and the other wants whatever Tesla model they have coming in 4 years or so.

First off, wow. Secondly, WOW!

This is all contingent on you having read your contract and the assumption that the dealer isn't bullshitting you. What you should do first is to read your contract.

What I would've done is call Kia Motor Finance to inquire about the discounts and whether or not there is missing paperwork and if there is, find out if you can submit it straight to them. After that, file a complaint against this dealership for losing your paperwork. This is all assuming that you financed directly through Kia because those discounts are generally only given if you finance with the manufacturer, not to be confused with the dealership. Then, I would call the GM of the dealership and tell them how pissed you are that the dealership lost the paperwork and that you've filed a complaint with Kia Corporate.

My question is who, from the dealership, actually called you? The F&I guy? The salesman is only there to get you to agree to a price, not handle the financing aspect of it. It's highly unlikely that the financing fell through 2 months after the fact, but READ YOUR CONTRACT.

Joke response:
For $25k, I would've bought a CRV or Rav4. :D
It was the dealer who has been calling her. Not the financing guy. I don't understand what is the meaning of this? Now I know one time he asked her for two pay stubs after the transaction was completed, but that was it. What can he do if we don't submit the documents?

It was the dealer who has been calling her. Not the financing guy. I don't understand what is the meaning of this? Now I know one time he asked her for two pay stubs after the transaction was completed, but that was it. What can he do if we don't submit the documents?
Man, that sounds like a shady dealer. Definitely go over your contract word for word and see if they have a leg to stand on. How can they remove discounts when everything is already signed for?

In other news, I got a flat tire on the Touareg. It's the same tire I patched last year, so hopefully I can just have it re-patched. I just saw the tire costs $293 on tirerack so I'm hoping.

What do you guys think of Crown Vics?

Currently I'm 15 and 7 months. In PA, you can't get a learner's permit until 16 and a junior license until 6 months after the permit was issued. I'm going to be stuck driving my dad's truck (Dodge Durango whopping 9 mpg!!). My parents are alright with paying for part of the insurance; I will need to cover the rest. I need a cheap and reliable car that it cheap to insure. I was thinking a old Crown Vic Police Interceptor since they go for cheap in my area. ($2000~ for a '03 with 125,000 miles)

I'm not aiming for a old patrol car, I'm aiming for a Sheriff's or Deputy's vehicle (there are always a couple in my area). What do you guys think?

I'm confused. Who is "the dealer?" The salesman? One of the managers? Why would anyone other than the F&I guy ask for any kind of financial documents? You really need to read your contract cause this is some shady stuff. Having financing fall through is something that would happen within a week and not two months.

Did you call Kia Motor Finance? Are you even financed through them? If not, did you call your lender? Kinda hard for anyone to give better advice if we don't know some of the details about your terms.

Currently I'm 15 and 7 months. In PA, you can't get a learner's permit until 16 and a junior license until 6 months after the permit was issued. I'm going to be stuck driving my dad's truck (Dodge Durango whopping 9 mpg!!). My parents are alright with paying for part of the insurance; I will need to cover the rest. I need a cheap and reliable car that it cheap to insure. I was thinking a old Crown Vic Police Interceptor since they go for cheap in my area. ($2000~ for a '03 with 125,000 miles)

I'm not aiming for a old patrol car, I'm aiming for a Sheriff's or Deputy's vehicle (there are always a couple in my area). What do you guys think?
I've seen some people recommend them on FW finance. Check out this thread: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1076644/ there's some info in there as well as links to read up on them.

Are you going to be on your own insurance or on your parents? It might make more sense financial-wise to be on your own. That way, if God forbid anything happens, they will only be able to take money out of your net worth and not from your parents.

Unless you're making AT LEAST a steady $150 a week after taxes, $2000 is way too much to spend on a car, muchless on one that gets shitty gas mileage and however much you'll need to pay for insurance. Mark my words, insurance WILL NOT BE CHEAP for a 16.5 year old male.

I've seen some people recommend them on FW finance. Check out this thread: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1076644/ there's some info in there as well as links to read up on them.

Are you going to be on your own insurance or on your parents? It might make more sense financial-wise to be on your own. That way, if God forbid anything happens, they will only be able to take money out of your net worth and not from your parents.
Unfortunately, I would be under my parents. They wouldn't want me to have me on my own plan because their insurance agency won't insure anybody under 18 unless there is an adult.

I don't think their insurance would go up a whole lot because the insurance company 'adds' you to the plan at 10. You can not legally drive for 6 more years but they up the premiums a little each month for the years leading up so their is no great shell shock.

My parents drive a 03 Durango and a '12 Ford Fusion for reference.

I'm confused. Who is "the dealer?" The salesman? One of the managers? Why would anyone other than the F&I guy ask for any kind of financial documents? You really need to read your contract cause this is some shady stuff. Having financing fall through is something that would happen within a week and not two months.

Did you call Kia Motor Finance? Are you even financed through them? If not, did you call your lender? Kinda hard for anyone to give better advice if we don't know some of the details about your terms.
oh sorry... It was the salesman who's calling her. Now she is getting someone calling her and leaving her a message saying "I have some great news about your Kia!!" ummmmm whaatttt???????? The Financing guy isn't calling her.

Zero Percent Interest huh? Nope, she didn't get that.... I think it was 3.xx%

I am already on her case about this shit and said DID YOU GET A COPY OF THE CONTRACT YOU SIGNED..........and of course shes like everything is in the car. I am waiting for her to get home so I can read it carefully or find out she never got a copy that she signed. God damn it this is why I get pissed at her, she doesn't ask questions or do research before diving into shit. I am so glad I didn't co-sign this shit....yet we are married now so this is gonna bite me some how in the ass later on.... I will update this post later when I get a hold of the contract.

oh sorry... It was the salesman who's calling her. Now she is getting someone calling her and leaving her a message saying "I have some great news about your Kia!!" ummmmm whaatttt???????? The Financing guy isn't calling her.
Zero Percent Interest huh? Nope, she didn't get that.... I think it was 3.xx%

I am already on her case about this shit and said DID YOU GET A COPY OF THE CONTRACT YOU SIGNED..........and of course shes like everything is in the car. I am waiting for her to get home so I can read it carefully or find out she never got a copy that she signed. God damn it this is why I get pissed at her, she doesn't ask questions or do research before diving into shit. I am so glad I didn't co-sign this shit....yet we are married now so this is gonna bite me some how in the ass later on.... I will update this post later when I get a hold of the contract.
Haha...all the paperwork is in my car too. Thanks for reminding me to take it out! :rofl:

That's super weird. The only reason why the salesman should be calling is to follow up to ask about how much she's loving her car and to thank her for her business. If I had to guess, I'd say that there's something wrong with the paperwork and it's possible that something was given that shouldn't have been. Asking for the paperwork 2 months after the fact might be something that he's just using to pull a bait and switch in order to not fuck his numbers. I know that some dealerships will fuck their sales people out of money in cases where something was given for "free" that shouldn't have been despite 3 or 4 people going through the paperwork.

Ok..

SO I finally looked at the contract.  Argh...stupid taxes, and other weird fees including a security fee............

Nothing in the contract says she has to give a copy of her transcripts and other shit but there is one section listed under documents that says buyer is require to submit all documents requested by the dealer........ but nothing specific. 

Now as I said before they dumped that extra warranty and protection on to her but we got them to take it off after a few days.  They never gave us an updated contract... the only updated thing she got was her updated bill she has to pay.  I am going to look at this next when she gets in.

Ok..

SO I finally looked at the contract. Argh...stupid taxes, and other weird fees including a security fee............

Nothing in the contract says she has to give a copy of her transcripts and other shit but there is one section listed under documents that says buyer is require to submit all documents requested by the dealer........ but nothing specific.

Now as I said before they dumped that extra warranty and protection on to her but we got them to take it off after a few days. They never gave us an updated contract... the only updated thing she got was her updated bill she has to pay. I am going to look at this next when she gets in.
Dude, you're Danny Trejo, just go into that dealership and start kicking some ass :lol:

good luck!

Ok..

SO I finally looked at the contract. Argh...stupid taxes, and other weird fees including a security fee............

Now as I said before they dumped that extra warranty and protection on to her but we got them to take it off after a few days. They never gave us an updated contract... the only updated thing she got was her updated bill she has to pay. I am going to look at this next when she gets in.
The funny thing about extended factory warranties is that there's a buyers remorse period for most of them and you can cancel them right away without penalty, which would then be applied towards the loan. I had 30 days to cancel mine, so I'm going to use that as leverage the next time I buy a car. Even if they rip you off on it, you can cancel it and buy the same factory warranty from another dealership online for loads cheaper. :D

I'm assuming that there'd be some line items regarding the graduate and car ownership discounts because those are discounts that are reimbursed to the dealership. If they never gave an updated contract, is the original one signed?

Yes....the original is signed.   I really, really hope that my wife wasn't that stupid (or naive) to not get an updated contract.  Wouldn't the dealer need to issue a new contract anyways since we took off the warranty and protection because I know her interest rate went up because of her taking it off.  She claims that she can't get a better interest than what Apple Federal Credit or other banks offered her before she bought the car.

I really don't want to be any part of this as she seems to let other people fix her mistakes and need to have common sense slapped into her sometimes.  I didn't co-sign any of it.

Holy shit, what a mess...

Interest rates aren't tied to the extras you add to your purchase. I am surprised as fuck that you wouldn't have the new contract and that the old contract wasn't shredded in front of you. I made a mistake on one of the forms and the finance guy redid the entire form after he shredded it.

Before my purchase, I was pre-approved for 3.5% upto $25k, finance guy offered 3.25%, I countered with Subaru offering 2.9%, and then he came back with 2.25%. I guess he got tired of me telling him how much I don't need/wanted his extra shit. :D edit: point being that interest rates are negotiable and good to know for your next go around.

If she's on her own, I guess you don't need to stress about it then. Seems like there's more going on that just the discounts and interest rate games.

Machete feels your pain, bro.

well the shit they did was they would give her a certain % if she did the warranty and protection.  a little higher if she did no protection.

now that she has removed the protection of course the interest is higher. 

So I got a hold of the bill..  It says NOTHING about the interest rate, just how much she owes each month and the total amount.  I am worried the dealership added some shit and didn't give her a new contract with the new numbers.

I don't know what the hell are her options now.  and of course here I am on CAG getting information while she's out showing off the car to her friends.................... god damn it. 

How screwed is she? 

It depends on the contract. Without knowing the exact terms, no one can say. Judging from what you've said so far, she got taken for an expensive ride. Considering the this deal is two months in, it's mostly written in stone for better or for worse. If you aren't financing through Kia Motors Financial, I'd be a bit more worried when it comes to those discounts.

I wouldn't worry about the monthly note only having the numbers you mentioned though, that's standard practice. I would call the lending institution for info on the loan if it's not on any of your paperwork or at least to verify it. I'm guessing that the cost of the car was based more on monthy payments rather than an out-the-door price because the numbers were massaged a bit to have more palatable terms. It's the worst way to figure out a price cause that's how they hide stuff.

The game they played with the interest rates is one of the oldest in the book. I would be out the door the second I caught wind of it. Again, tips for the future.

It depends on the contract. Without knowing the exact terms, no one can say. Judging from what you've said so far, she got taken for an expensive ride. Considering the this deal is two months in, it's mostly written in stone for better or for worse. If you aren't financing through Kia Motors Financial, I'd be a bit more worried when it comes to those discounts.

I wouldn't worry about the monthly note only having the numbers you mentioned though, that's standard practice. I would call the lending institution for info on the loan if it's not on any of your paperwork or at least to verify it. I'm guessing that the cost of the car was based more on monthy payments rather than an out-the-door price because the numbers were massaged a bit to have more palatable terms. It's the worst way to figure out a price cause that's how they hide stuff.

The game they played with the interest rates is one of the oldest in the book. I would be out the door the second I caught wind of it. Again, tips for the future.
Well that's just grand.........just checked the bill again and it's thru Capital One. So in talking with my parents who were there at the time of her signing, she was suppose to call the guy and get the break down of the numbers. I am pretty sure they snuck some things into that bill and without a new contract break down,.....arghh........

man, why bother going through financing through the dealership? I got 0.8% financing on a USED car from penfed.

The only time it's worth going through a dealership is if they do 0% financing. And usually then they pricegouge you on the price anyway

As for crown vics, great cars. reliable and great for messing around with. I've always fancied the idea of buying one to put a bull bumper on. All I know is people tend to drive more kindly around you when you're in a crown vic. Esp if you put a side mirror/light and bull bumper on it. Great time to buy them as lots of LEOs are selling them off to buy new shiny interceptors

The only problem with them is gas mileage afaik

So who's getting the new 2015 WRX?  It looks pretty sweet.  I wonder what the pricing will be on it.

ku-xlarge.jpg

The new X5, on the other hand, doesn't do anything for me.  From a side profile, the trunk looks like it sticks out too much.

ku-xlarge.jpg

No auto; no buy! :rofl:

I think it looks pretty good though and I wonder what they'll do with the STi version.

Unless you're making AT LEAST a steady $150 a week after taxes, $2000 is way too much to spend on a car, muchless on one that gets shitty gas mileage and however much you'll need to pay for insurance. Mark my words, insurance WILL NOT BE CHEAP for a 16.5 year old male.
As for crown vics, great cars. reliable and great for messing around with. I've always fancied the idea of buying one to put a bull bumper on. All I know is people tend to drive more kindly around you when you're in a crown vic. Esp if you put a side mirror/light and bull bumper on it. Great time to buy them as lots of LEOs are selling them off to buy new shiny interceptors

The only problem with them is gas mileage afaik
Eh I can live with 20mpg. It's a hella lot better than my dad's durango (9 city, 11 highway).

I can live with the insurance being a little much. I'm going to take drivers ed and my parents' insurance does good student discounts. (I'm in 6 honors classes and 1 AP class with an A- average.)

I do agree with $2000 being a lot for a first car but if I buy a beater, it will most likely cost that much in parts alone so the crown vic's cheap parts and reliability win out. I could always buy one from an auction (they usually go for ~$1500.)

I am all ears if you guys have another idea.

Eh I can live with 20mpg. It's a hella lot better than my dad's durango (9 city, 11 highway).

I can live with the insurance being a little much. I'm going to take drivers ed and my parents' insurance does good student discounts. (I'm in 6 honors classes and 1 AP class with an A- average.)

I do agree with $2000 being a lot for a first car but if I buy a beater, it will most likely cost that much in parts alone so the crown vic's cheap parts and reliability win out. I could always buy one from an auction (they usually go for ~$1500.)

I am all ears if you guys have another idea.
It's not so much the cost of the car, but the total cost of ownership. The car is the only thing that's somewhat negotiable because other stuff is more or less at a fixed price. Between insurance, gas, maintenance, and taxes out of your paycheck, $150 a week isn't as much as it sounds when you add up how much money you'll be spending just hanging out with your buds and gaming stuff(this is CAG afterall ;)).

If you're not driving far, I would rough it in the Durango. Make a spreadsheet and do the math to see which makes more sense financially. Personally, I'm a little biased and would get a Civic hatchback for $2k...haha.

bread's done
Back