CAG Car Thread!

Eh I can live with 20mpg. It's a hella lot better than my dad's durango (9 city, 11 highway).

I can live with the insurance being a little much. I'm going to take drivers ed and my parents' insurance does good student discounts. (I'm in 6 honors classes and 1 AP class with an A- average.)

I do agree with $2000 being a lot for a first car but if I buy a beater, it will most likely cost that much in parts alone so the crown vic's cheap parts and reliability win out. I could always buy one from an auction (they usually go for ~$1500.)

I am all ears if you guys have another idea.
Check with your insurance before you enroll in drivers ed to make sure you'll get a discount for completing the course. From what I hear, lots of insurance companies are not giving discounts for that anymore. Of course if you are taking the class just to take it and don't care if you'll get a discount take it anyway but just a heads up in case that's all you have in mind.

autogeek.net has 25% everything and free shipping with no minimum with code BLACK25

I picked up Langka, Dr. Colorchip, and a clay bar. These things are hard to find with free shipping so with that and 25% off I figured it was a good deal.

autogeek.net has 25% everything and free shipping with no minimum with code BLACK25

I picked up Langka, Dr. Colorchip, and a clay bar. These things are hard to find with free shipping so with that and 25% off I figured it was a good deal.
You must REALLY hate paint chips. :D

In case anyone thinks it's too late, Autogeek extended the sale another 12 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
So people ask me why I got the Wagon version

1480684_10151807487119142_1913548349_n.jpg

The BRZ is at the dealer for a new fuel pump and injector, so they gave me a Mazda 3 4-door hatch as a loaner and I have to admit that it isn't that bad! The steering wheel has a great weighted feel for dd-ing, the engine doesn't sound like it's wringing itself out when you hit the gas, a VERY smooth and gradual powerband, and most importantly, it's a hatch! The only things I'd improve are the seats and better tires(cause everyone should).

If it wasn't for my love of the Lexus CTh, it'd be a Very serious contender for the babymobile.

Zoglog, that's awesome!  I am surprised at how much smaller those lcd boxes are though.  When I bought my 52" in 2008, it barely fit on the flatbed of my friend's pickup and it had to go standing up.

dohdough, they are good cars.  My sister has a 2005 3i and it's still going strong with over 100k miles and no major problems.  I would love to test drive a mazdaspeed 3.

The BRZ is at the dealer for a new fuel pump and injector, so they gave me a Mazda 3 4-door hatch as a loaner and I have to admit that it isn't that bad! The steering wheel has a great weighted feel for dd-ing, the engine doesn't sound like it's wringing itself out when you hit the gas, a VERY smooth and gradual powerband, and most importantly, it's a hatch! The only things I'd improve are the seats and better tires(cause everyone should).

If it wasn't for my love of the Lexus CTh, it'd be a Very serious contender for the babymobile.
Was it a 2013 or 2014? I was thinking about trading in my G35 on one of these since we want a little more room.

dohdough, they are good cars. My sister has a 2005 3i and it's still going strong with over 100k miles and no major problems. I would love to test drive a mazdaspeed 3.
No joke. I've been in a lot of cars the past couple months and this is by far the best I've had. Even better than the Forester!

Was it a 2013 or 2014? I was thinking about trading in my G35 on one of these since we want a little more room.
LOLZ...neither! It's a 2012 with less than 3k miles on it. :rofl:

If you're into cars with a lot of torque and power, this isn't really the car for you. The thing I like the most is the gradual smooth acceleration that most drivers would hate, but passengers would love. The auto-tranny gets a little lost in 10-15mph traffic though.

Unless you're talking about the BRZ, it's a 2013, but it doesn't have much more usable room than the G35.

No joke. I've been in a lot of cars the past couple months and this is by far the best I've had. Even better than the Forester!

LOLZ...neither! It's a 2012 with less than 3k miles on it. :rofl:

If you're into cars with a lot of torque and power, this isn't really the car for you. The thing I like the most is the gradual smooth acceleration that most drivers would hate, but passengers would love. The auto-tranny gets a little lost in 10-15mph traffic though.

Unless you're talking about the BRZ, it's a 2013, but it doesn't have much more usable room than the G35.
Haha, I was talking about the Mazda. :) Well, I think the 2012 and 2013 are pretty much the same car, so that helps, looking at the older models since they're clearancing them out with pretty hefty incentives on them right now.

Zoglog, that's awesome! I am surprised at how much smaller those lcd boxes are though. When I bought my 52" in 2008, it barely fit on the flatbed of my friend's pickup and it had to go standing up.

dohdough, they are good cars. My sister has a 2005 3i and it's still going strong with over 100k miles and no major problems. I would love to test drive a mazdaspeed 3.
Yup, I remember the first vizio 42" Plasma TV I bought back in 2005. That box was huge. I think once LED edge lit LCDs started coming out they could make the packaging much smaller.

And I agree, if you want room, the BRZ is not the way to go. Def less room than the G35.

The new mazda 3 and 6 are pretty nice peppy cars.

Right now I'm debating about my future future car, but It's way too earlier. Either one of the C7, new CTS-V, or Tesla S

Autogeek had another 20% off with no minimum free shipping sale today. Picked up Dr. Colorchip. Could've saved $3 if I ordered last week. D'OH!

encendido, if I don't like it, I'm going to your house and stealing some Langka. :lol:

Let me know how it works for you.  I got it on Monday, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.  

:lol: We could have a mini detailing meet

Autogeek had another 20% off with no minimum free shipping sale today. Picked up Dr. Colorchip. Could've saved $3 if I ordered last week. D'OH!

encendido, if I don't like it, I'm going to your house and stealing some Langka. :lol:
Haha, I usually just buy the same color as company paint. Let me know how Dr colorchip works.

I bought a decent amount of stuff during Black Friday. They had 25% off and free shipping.

Got some of those cobra HD waffle weave towels. Drying is one of my peeves when washing my car since my water is hard and leaves wicked water spots that can only be eliminated by polishing.

Haha, I usually just buy the same color as company paint. Let me know how Dr colorchip works.
I bought a decent amount of stuff during Black Friday. They had 25% off and free shipping.
Yeah, I'm still kicking myself for completely forgetting to order after I posted that they had extended the sale. I should've waited on the Snobrum and Ice Master. I don't recommend the Ice Master if you don't want it to scratch your glass btw.

I have a Subaru touch up pen as well, but I want something with a touch more of professional results rather than just doing a less than half-assed job. Now it'll look totally half-assed. :D

Got some of those cobra HD waffle weave towels. Drying is one of my peeves when washing my car since my water is hard and leaves wicked water spots that can only be eliminated by polishing.
I ended up getting the Guzzler and couldn't be more happier. I have hard water too and use ONR, which seems to help.

Yeah, man. We totally should! It'll be the last time before I have a kid and then my car will be forever dirty! :rofl:
Ha, yeah, I used to wash my car every two weeks before we had a baby. Now I'm lucky if I wash it twice a year!

Let's try to meet up after the new year. We could probably hit up the Chili's or Longhorn in Reading for some drinks.

Anyone have any opinions/experience with the Hyundai Veloster turbo? I might go test drive one, seems like a fun little car.
I think they look awesome, but does it have that much more space than your G? I'm not completely sold on 3-door hatches, and for the money, I would move up to a true 4-door hatch if a hatch is what you want. I can't really speak for the driving experience although I'm sure it handles like a go-cart. Mini's are really fun in that size too.

I think they look awesome, but does it have that much more space than your G? I'm not completely sold on 3-door hatches, and for the money, I would move up to a true 4-door hatch if a hatch is what you want. I can't really speak for the driving experience although I'm sure it handles like a go-cart. Mini's are really fun in that size too.
Yeah, it definitely has more trunk space, my G has like 7 cubic feet of space, and it's not really that tall in the trunk.:) I'm looking at a 2013 mazda 3 hatch too, although they're pretty close to the same price and the Hyundai has a bit more power.

Ha, yeah, I used to wash my car every two weeks before we had a baby. Now I'm lucky if I wash it twice a year!

Let's try to meet up after the new year. We could probably hit up the Chili's or Longhorn in Reading for some drinks.
For sure. Maybe I'll have my car back by then...hahaha.

Yeah, it definitely has more trunk space, my G has like 7 cubic feet of space, and it's not really that tall in the trunk. :) I'm looking at a 2013 mazda 3 hatch too, although they're pretty close to the same price and the Hyundai has a bit more power.
Not a fan of CRV's or Rav4's? I'm borrowing my parents' and it's not a lot of fun. I think this makes car #6 I've had over the last 4 months...LOLZ.

Any particular reason why you haven't considered the 4-door G?

For sure. Maybe I'll have my car back by then...hahaha.

Not a fan of CRV's or Rav4's? I'm borrowing my parents' and it's not a lot of fun. I think this makes car #6 I've had over the last 4 months...LOLZ.

Any particular reason why you haven't considered the 4-door G?
Well, I want to move into something that gets better gas mileage, I like the G, but even with keeping my foot out of it, I'm generally getting high 19's-low 20's in mixed driving. I still want the car to be somewhat fun to drive though. :)

Well, I want to move into something that gets better gas mileage, I like the G, but even with keeping my foot out of it, I'm generally getting high 19's-low 20's in mixed driving. I still want the car to be somewhat fun to drive though. :)
Haha...well, the Mazda has been getting me 30-35mpg in mostly bumper-to-bumper traffic, so that's definitely one huge plus for it. This thing simply sips gas. As for fun, I can't say that it is.

Have you considered the Matrix? It's also relatively cheap and I'm sure it has TRD support. Gotta keep it JDM yo! :D

I'm pretty impressed with the Conti DWS tires in the snow.  They handle pretty well for not being a winter tire.  I can't say the same for the poor Merc coupe I had to pass yesterday who was having trouble getting up a hill.

I'm pretty impressed with the Conti DWS tires in the snow. They handle pretty well for not being a winter tire. I can't say the same for the poor Merc coupe I had to pass yesterday who was having trouble getting up a hill.
Dude, I was behind some 300M look-a-like on Mass Ave by Boston Medical and it was swinging it's ass all over the road. I wasn't sure whether to feel bad or SMH. When I finally got on 93N and hour later, I saw an older Mustang(maybe a 99?) try to cross a lane by the Sullivan exit and it almost got stuck because it had no clearance at stock height. I definitely facepalmed on that one. :D

A bunch of my friends were texting me last night asking me about how my car handled in the snow, I could only reply that I had no clue because my car was still at the dealer. Finally got my car back today and holy crap, I almost peeled out because I was so used to the gutless Mazda 3. :rofl:

Haha...well, the Mazda has been getting me 30-35mpg in mostly bumper-to-bumper traffic, so that's definitely one huge plus for it. This thing simply sips gas. As for fun, I can't say that it is.

Have you considered the Matrix? It's also relatively cheap and I'm sure it has TRD support. Gotta keep it JDM yo! :D
Funny thing, we actually traded in a Matrix on the G, it was a pretty nice car, but we traded it in because it had really high mileage. Eh, maybe I'll just keep the G. :)

Car got smashed again when someone decided to back up without checking behind them. This time, it was my front end. By this time next week, it'll be time for another installment of Dohdough's Rental Car Adventures!

I drive the Zincmobile... A silver 2001 VW New Beetle. It's my daughter's 16th birthday present (she's 10), but she's kind enough to let me drive it until then. ;)

On another note I decided to test exhaust note in a tunnel. I forget how loud this car is outside since there's so much sound deadening inside

https://plus.google.com/101511530717216368432/posts/4aA8Ax7vR4R
Do you have a turbo on it? I thought I heard something spooling up.

So I just did the math and starting from when I got my first car on Jan 3, 2008, I've been in 12 accidents. Two of which I hit someone else. One was weather related when my car lost control on black ice and the other was when a person in front of me smashed into a car in front of them in rush hour traffic and I, in turn, smashed into them. I was two car lengths back going 25, but snow tires don't grip that well on roads paved with those rumble strips. I've been backed into four times and rear-ended 6. Those numbers don't include door dings and shopping carts. :sad panda face:

Do you have a turbo on it? I thought I heard something spooling up.

So I just did the math and starting from when I got my first car on Jan 3, 2008, I've been in 12 accidents. Two of which I hit someone else. One was weather related when my car lost control on black ice and the other was when a person in front of me smashed into a car in front of them in rush hour traffic and I, in turn, smashed into them. I was two car lengths back going 25, but snow tires don't grip that well on roads paved with those rumble strips. I've been backed into four times and rear-ended 6. Those numbers don't include door dings and shopping carts. :sad panda face:
Supercharger of course on a 6.2 liter V8 ;)

This thread makes me want to trade mine in.

I've been driving an 2008 Jeep Patriot for almost four years. It's a 2.4 with a manual tranny, so it has a little pep with decent MPG. But this thing has been the biggest piece of shit I have ever owned. As soon as it rolled 40k, it started having problem after problem after problem. I'm to the point now, with about 68k on it, that I stopped giving a shit, as long as it runs and passes inspection, I'm happy.

I'd be furious if I didn't get a steal on it. I only paid $10k for it when it was only a year only and had 10k miles on it. Unfortunately, since I was the second owner, the lifetime warranty was non-transferable. I've owned nothing but Mopars for the past 15 years, but I think I'm done after this one...

The day I brought it home:

IMG_0706.jpg
damn is it really that bad? ive been currently looking around for patriots 2010-2012 models that have about 60k miles on them for around $10k im really second guessing now

That's pretty pimp. I remember when they first released the CTS and I thought to myself that this is an USDM car that I could picture myself driving...not that I could afford it of course! :rofl:
used ones should drop in price. Not that i'd advise it given the mpg ;)

But it's a whole lot of power in a civilized package. Plus wagon

used ones should drop in price. Not that i'd advise it given the mpg ;)
But it's a whole lot of power in a civilized package. Plus wagon
Word. My next ride will definitely have a hatch, but I'm torn between a compact hatch or a full-sized hatch. For the money, I fell like you can't really beat the TSX hatch or the CT200h and an A3 is way out of my price range. Maybe a used RDX or RX300 could fit the bill, but they're both bigger cars than I prefer to drive. I'll probably revisit that stance if the seats are better than their cheaper counterparts.

On another note, I've been in a 2013 Jetta SE with leather seats for the past few days while my car is being repaired and I don't like it one bit. The seats are terrible with no support that hurt my neck and back, the c-pillar is so big that there's a huge blindspot looking in the rear view mirror, steering weight feels inconsistent, brakes let out a whooshing sound like a tire just got cut, and worst of all, I'm missing a hubcap because someone either stole it, it popped off when I hit a pothole(not likely), or the previous driver hit a pothole which loosened it and then it came off on it's own. The only good thing about it is that someone left their Garmin Nuvi GPS in a Crown Royal bag. $60 for a hubcap that I would've never had to have paid for if some dick checked anyone of his mirrors or did a shoulder check. :bomb:

So....what's the deal with these car makers favoring Apple over android when it comes to connectivity?!??!  If my wife hooks up her iphone 5 with cable she gets the nice album art and updated track lists...if I hook up my android (Galaxy S4) with cable I only get track listings that does not update on next track.  Her car is the 2014 Kia Serento.  Also noticed that when bluetooth streaming from her Iphone, it sounds pretty good, while BT steaming from my GS4 sounds like shit (like no bass).

So....what's the deal with these car makers favoring Apple over android when it comes to connectivity?!??! If my wife hooks up her iphone 5 with cable she gets the nice album art and updated track lists...if I hook up my android (Galaxy S4) with cable I only get track listings that does not update on next track. Her car is the 2014 Kia Serento. Also noticed that when bluetooth streaming from her Iphone, it sounds pretty good, while BT steaming from my GS4 sounds like shit (like no bass).
It's pretty much a holdover from when ipods were for all intents and purposes, the only name in the game of mp3 players to the general public. When it comes to BT streaming and android connectivity through wires, it has more to do with software drivers and hardware profiles. Generally, cars will either use an itunes software profile to handle track id's and the like, whereas the car will read a phone like a usb drive for android. It's just a mix of issues between car manufacturers not wanting easier android connectivity and phone manufacturers not optimizing their hardware. This is why I only use small flash drives and swap out music when I get bored.

It's pretty much a holdover from when ipods were for all intents and purposes, the only name in the game of mp3 players to the general public. When it comes to BT streaming and android connectivity through wires, it has more to do with software drivers and hardware profiles. Generally, cars will either use an itunes software profile to handle track id's and the like, whereas the car will read a phone like a usb drive for android. It's just a mix of issues between car manufacturers not wanting easier android connectivity and phone manufacturers not optimizing their hardware. This is why I only use small flash drives and swap out music when I get bored.
Thanks for the info! Are there any sites out there that talk about compatibility between cars and phones?

Took my Wagon on the track this weekend for the first time. Pretty damn fun but scary. Spun out on the dirt once. Used up a whole tank of gas by the end of the day and improved my time from 1:40 to 1:35. not bad for a first track day on a course not well suited for the heavy car (Streets of Willow)

IMG_20140119_145018.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_JNupN6maA

I got a letter from Enterprise about the car that backed up into me around Christmas. They said that I was responsible for the left rear end damage to their car. I was hit in the left front fender.

Got into an accident last Friday when someone decided to cut me off from my right after I had the right of way in a u-turn and the other person ended up getting ahead of me to damage my bumper that was just repaired.

Last night, I was stopped in bumper to bumper traffic and some BMW decided to rear-end me in a rental. Looked like so significant damage so I let the guy go, but he insisted I take his number just in case. Upon further inspection under some light and some water to wash away the salt, it looks like it's borderline as to whether or not I'll get hit for damage or not.

This morning, I found a guy that was selling stock FR-S/BRZ wheels and parting them out for $100 shipped, which would replace the rim I curbed when I first got the car. Not only is it cheaper than repairing it, but better than any local deal I've seen so far. This almost makes up for all the accidents I've been in the last 12 months. :D

bread's done
Back