CAG ESPN NHL 2k5 (Xbox) online league - PLAY YOUR GAMES BY 10/14

alright. i got my xbox live up and running. my gamer tag is "thatstoobad" (oddly enough) and my AIM name is "nonewwavenofun". i was going to make a new AIM name just for the xbox stuff, but "thatstoobad" is already taken, so i lose. the gamer tag will be in my user info on AIM, though.

i'm going to pick up the game this evening at an ebgames near my house.

to reiterate the teams that i want:
1. edmonton
2. washington
3. nashville
4. montreal
5. atlanta
6. columbus

i'll take the nearest one to the top that is available.

I'm gonna have to bow out, can't the game game for another month or so as I spent way too much on games this month and have that nasty thing called bills I have to pay. Sorry.

I had the Coyotes.

As soon as I get my paws on a copy of it (hopefully BB will have it this week), i'm in. I've got the bridge working and all is good.

i had to exchange my copy today- looked like heat damage. im going to be on till about midnight est for some games, so get at me if you want.

I got my copy yesterday and its sitting at home. Heres my info: AIM:Gomer1andonly, Gamertag: Gomer V1. I work at night and sleep late mornings through early afternoon so look for me any time after 4 or 5.

im so dissapointed in my decision to choose the canucks over the sabres at this point. i have been using them online and its too bad theres no season this year, since they have a GREAT team. the game is very good. passing is tougher to get used to, but i have seen some nice additions.

I also just picked up my copy yesterday. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Goning to give it a try during the holiday weekend. I need to practice! Haven't played Hockey since EA 2002 NHL PS2 or NHL 2K2 DC

Got mine yesterday and was playing against a CAG named Alucard when the game stopped and it said that the network conditions were bad or something like that and it cancelled our game. I think he said it had something to do with the different T.V.s we were playing on. I really need to get a better T.V. then.

I'm ready to play anyone that wants a game right now, so just let me know.

[quote name='Scorch']Huh? Network conditions have nothing to do with the TV you're playing on.. :rofl: :rofl:[/quote] :lol: That's what I thought but he asked me if I was playing on a widescreen (or something like that) T.V. and I said "No", and then Alucard said "........SHIT!!!!!!" so I'm not sure exactly what happened. :?

Also, you might want to make a different thread for the PS2 league. More people will see it and people won't be confused about which league they are getting into.

I got my copy at frys today, I'll play it this weekend to practice. I hope this leauge goes off better then the NFL 2k5 on has, it's kinda stalling right now.

I played a few unranked games today. 2 online, 1 offline. I went 1-1 online and won the other game. I'm getting better. If anyone wants to play a game later tonight, let me know.

[quote name='thatstoobad']i hate when people pause the game when you are on a breakway. those people are what you call "dicks".[/quote]

happened to me also, but only when I was up by at least 5 goals. Just do it right back whenever they have an opening to score.

Anyone up for an exhibition match, like now?

Also, we need to decide on the rules and options for our league....I'm thinking a short season 28 games or less

[quote name='CheapyD']Also, we need to decide on the rules and options for our league....I'm thinking a short season 28 games or less[/quote]

that makes sense. you don't want it too long, because some people may lose interest, but at the same time, if the season is too short it takes away some of the fun. i would say make it so everyone has a chance to play each other at least once, or something like that.

as far as other rules and options, how far into the customization can you go for leagues? i haven't really checked it out very much.

for the difficulty level, i vote for pro, since it's right in the middle (i don't know if the difficulty is league-based or if you can change it for the individual games, though).

I'm thinking a Pro game at slower speed, with fights turned off (they suck).
3/4 camera with the zoom slider to the "a" in Camera.

EDIT: I updated the OP with all the correct user names (I think)
Washington, Atlanta, Columbs, and Phoenix are the only teams still available.

[quote name='CheapyD']I'm thinking a Pro game at slower speed, with fights turned off (they suck).
3/4 camera with the zoom slider to the "a" in Camera.[/quote]

I'm with ya on the fighting, and the camera, but why the slower speed?

I would like to play you guys on this game in exibition matches just to get used to it. I don't think I will join the league since the teams I use are taken but a friendly game would be cool.
Say Wed. at about 5:00 P.M. Central ....anybody!??

ok, here's my ideas/opinions for the league:

-slow game speed is ok, but i don't think it should be any less than 1/4 of the way full. i think that a slower game speed will probably result in lower overall scores, keeping the games closer.

-i hate the fighting. let's keep it all the way off.

-if possible, i vote to keep the pinning on the boards off, too.

-the camera zoom suggested is fine by me.

-i think that the playoffs should be either best of 3 or 5. single elimination is a bad idea, but best of 7 is probably pushing it.

-assuming we have a full league, let's keep the top 16 in the playoffs.

-5 minute periods are good. i would be open to longer, but i imagine it would be easiest for everyone to agree on 5.

-the season should have either 34 or 42 games. the highest after 34 is 26, which wouldn't allow everyone to play each other at least once.

-the penalty sliders need to be turned way down to about 1/4 of the way full. the game is way too sensitive to penalties.

i think that covers pretty much everything. on a side note, does it annoy anyone else that gary thorne and bill clement repeatedly refer to the number of goals as "points"?

I'm with CheapyD on everything except the speed... The default speed is slow already, I wouldn't go any lower than that.

taking pinning off would really take away a huge aspect of the game, which is board work. i dont know how many times i've done a nice turnaround with miro satan and scored off a pin, or stopped an offensive threat.

the fighting does suck, if you turn it all the way down, the only people that will fight are your enforcers, meaning you wont get into to beef with marian hossa or max afiniganov, which is a good thing =)

and i dont know if im feeling a pro setting, if its unanamous, thats fine, but i woudl prefer all star, the goalies are smarter, so there are really no duplicate golas and the glitch goals arent as glitchy.

any idea when the first update will come?

Yeah, Sergei Samsonov getting into fights was not good... My problem is less about the fighting and more about my good players always fighting and going to the penalty box.

If theres a roster update, I'm screwed... Damn cheapass Bruins. I'll lose half my team.

How many games a week will be played? How will vacations be handled?
I have the game and would play, but I don't want to hold anything up. I'd probably be up for a game or two a week, and have a two week Thanksgiving vacation and a two week Christmas vacation.

I can play at around 6:30 CST. I think that is 5:30 your time. I always get confused. Anyway I look you up and see if your online when I get home from work. I just bought the game over the weekend and haven't yet had a chance to play. I'd like to try it out.

[quote name='flybrione']I can play at around 6:30 CST. I think that is 5:30 your time. I always get confused. Anyway I look you up and see if your online when I get home from work. I just bought the game over the weekend and haven't yet had a chance to play. I'd like to try it out.[/quote]

Ya got that turned around. The time goes UP as you go EAST and DOWN as you go WEST. 6:30 CST would be 7:30 EST.

[quote name='doubledown']Have all the teams been accounted for yet? Any new ones open up?[/quote]
The OP is up-to-date.

Hey i'm the new guy!

I'm Alex aka xMETHx on XBL, i'm also a regurlar poster on the espnhockey.net message board.

My pick for the league is the Atlanta Thrashers.

Can't wait to see you guys online....

-alex

[quote name='METH']Hey i'm the new guy!

I'm Alex aka xMETHx on XBL, i'm also a regurlar poster on the espnhockey.net message board.

My pick for the league is the Atlanta Thrashers.

Can't wait to see you guys online....

-alex
[/quote]

Ah, I thought that post was a little too peppy to come from an American. Do you have cynics up in the great white north?

Cynics? hmm guess so...

Is that another tricky question by a fellow american neighbor? Damn you guys! LOL

Oh and i see you notice the location right away, let me add that i'm french-canadian, so what out for the accent we i play against you dude... Haha!

I played a few games yesterday...maybe we go with 1 or 2 clicks below the default speed, 5 minute periods, PRO, no fighting, 3/4 camera with 1 or 2 clicks more zoom.
How does that sound?

[quote name='CheapyD']I played a few games yesterday...maybe we go with 1 or 2 clicks below the default speed, 5 minute periods, PRO, no fighting, 3/4 camera with 1 or 2 clicks more zoom.
How does that sound?[/quote]

Sounds good to me.

Are you sure about the PRO setting though? Wouldn't go All Star?

-just a question...

Between on and off line play, I think I've played about 7 games and none of them were ranked. I can play later tonight probally if anyone wants a game.

[quote name='METH']Cynics? hmm guess so...

Is that another tricky question by a fellow american neighbor? Damn you guys! LOL

Oh and i see you notice the location right away, let me add that i'm french-canadian, so what out for the accent we i play against you dude... Haha![/quote]

So would you take offense to calling you a faux-canuck when our matchup comes up? :lol:

(Feel free to challenge at anytime though-- my tag; elDirty)

[quote name='BigDirty'][quote name='METH']Cynics? hmm guess so...

Oh and i see you notice the location right away, let me add that i'm french-canadian, so what out for the accent we i play against you dude... Haha![/quote]

So would you take offense to calling you a faux-canuck when our matchup comes up? :lol:

(Feel free to challenge at anytime though-- my tag; elDirty)[/quote]

I take no offence, and i gladly accept your challenge! :)

I may have to drop out of the league, unless I seriously find out how to get Xbox Live to work here at college, cause it won't let me on at all...

bread's done
Back