CAG Fund for Child's Play 2012 Charity Raffle: $38K+ Raised, Winners Posted!

Man, that bar is moving slow. Seems like there hasn't been a lot of buzz this year. I can't remember Cheapy even mentioning this on the recent CAGcasts.

Nobody is tweeting about it either (Cheapy, Wombat, or Shipwreck). Seems like a lack of interest from the hosts. Oh well, I know I gave more this year than I have any previous year.

Damn, we're pretty far from the goal. I know we usually have a last minute push, but this is a big gap to cover. I'll throw in a few more bucks when I'm on my PC.

Definitely a little disappointing to those of us really trying to make a difference as far as exceeding the goal and lack of people.. how is this thread only 18 pages long?

All we need is all the people that didn't give to give 10-5$ we would make it I gave 30$ and I am not working come on guys and gals give 10$ or 5$ now

Finally got around to putting my money in this year. Child's Play is awesome. CAG and CAG members are awesome for supporting it!

Come on, you cheap fucks. I just threw in another $25 -- take the ten bucks you were going to drop on some piece of shit game that's going to sit in your backlog for another three years and help the kids!

I really believe in CAG to reach are coal because we are cheapass to games but not when kids need it bad

I donated and I also donated some gifts this year to try to motivate some donations. I will say I submitted my gifts to be added to the list and it took two full weeks before the OP was updated with it listed. Since the prize list motivates some people to donate, updating it more than once every two weeks probably would have spurred a few more donations.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I donated and I also donated some gifts this year to try to motivate some donations. I will say I submitted my gifts to be added to the list and it took two full weeks before the OP was updated with it listed. Since the prize list motivates some people to donate, updating it more than once every two weeks probably would have spurred a few more donations.[/QUOTE]

Cheapy really didn't seem as motivated in general about this years fund. Barely mentioned on the CAGcast, etc.

I couldn't donate as much as most years, but will try to drop a little more once I check my fundage. Even if we don't get more, 27 g's is still a pretty nice donation.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I donated and I also donated some gifts this year to try to motivate some donations. I will say I submitted my gifts to be added to the list and it took two full weeks before the OP was updated with it listed. Since the prize list motivates some people to donate, updating it more than once every two weeks probably would have spurred a few more donations.[/QUOTE]

I agree, i wonder if the list is currently delayed any.

[quote name='randomdud']Donated some funds, but it's looking grim. We have like 5 days left to hit the goal? :([/QUOTE]

4 days almost 3 and we need $5670/day with what is left of today and the next 3.... unless you get a few businesses to see this (which they'd donate straight to the cause unless they used the tracker)... idk... how many members does CAG have total at a per member donation rate? I've given $20 already, about avg maybe a little above when you factor $40 in prizes as well.

[quote name='contej85']Cheapy really didn't seem as motivated in general about this years fund. Barely mentioned on the CAGcast, etc.[/QUOTE]

This is a big part of it. There was a big lack of updates or talk about it this year.

Also, the economy is just plain bad. I feel bad saying it here but I'm at a point where I feel like I have to hoard and save every penny I can make. It doesn't help with taxes being raised again. 2% adds up.

[quote name='Lonedrifter1989']It's really too bad we can't donate used, great condition games or I bet we all have a lot of those, but there would be someone willing to mess that one up I'm sure. :([/QUOTE]

There's really no reason you can't. Maybe it can't be on the official list or whatever but you can still do a contest. I did it a couple years ago with some Blu Rays. They were new, but no reason you couldn't do it with something used. I dont remember how I did it exactly I think I just asked people to donate and then post in my own contest thread that they donated and they were entered by doing so. I guess I just took their word for it that they donated, I dont really remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Lonedrifter1989']It's really too bad we can't donate used, great condition games or I bet we all have a lot of those, but there would be someone willing to mess that one up I'm sure. :([/QUOTE]

There's really no reason you can't. Maybe it can't be on the official list or whatever but you can still do a contest. I did it a couple years ago with some Blu Rays. They were new, but no reason you couldn't do it with something used.

[quote name='contej85']Cheapy really didn't seem as motivated in general about this years fund. Barely mentioned on the CAGcast, etc.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if I didn't see it on the front page I probably would not have remembered. I bet a lot of people bookmark the forums and do not even see it. Hopefully Cheapy and the crew will do some tweeting about it at least in these last days!

Put the banner in your sig guys. Helps more people see it. I witnessed first hand, seeing some of these kids in extended stay hospitals. They are so sad. Playing games helps take their minds off of their problems. It lets them be normal for awhile. It's a great cause.

[quote name='ShockandAww']

Also, the economy is just plain bad. I feel bad saying it here but I'm at a point where I feel like I have to hoard and save every penny I can make. It doesn't help with taxes being raised again. 2% adds up.

[/QUOTE]

This. I think CAG's promotion of it could have been better (I was looking forward to seeing CheapyD and family on webcam again) but it wasn't hard to know the raffle was going on.

But yeah, saving money is getting harder and harder. 2012 was terrible in so many ways.

In better news, I have funds to donate with the pay check I just received. I have some errands to run today and I can assess what I can donate later tonight.

There's really no reason you can't. Maybe it can't be on the official list or whatever but you can still do a contest. I did it a couple years ago with some Blu Rays. They were new, but no reason you couldn't do it with something used. I dont remember how I did it exactly I think I just asked people to donate and then post in my own contest thread that they donated and they were entered by doing so. I guess I just took their word for it that they donated, I dont really remember.
I was wanting to do this as well. In the event I wouldn't be able to donate money, it would be nice to donate something that have some kind of value.

[quote name='randomdud']Donated some funds, but it's looking grim. We have like 5 days left to hit the goal? :([/QUOTE]

might be wrong but didnt we miss the goal last year and cheapy toss in like 5k or something on the last day to meet the goal..

people just dont have the money this year . i know my xmas tips were down 65% from last year

i know its way too late this year but maybe next year before this starts maybe also try to do a lowball collection and let people send in items and then sell those items off and then use that cash to put into this fund.... i know i had a few items i could of sent in (game wise) that i would never use but was just too lazy to sell off myself

Chipped in $200. It's a shame that we're nowhere close to $50K but at least Child's Play overall had a great donation season.

Posting how much you donated doesn't help. For people in it solely for the prizes, if they see somebody post that they put in a bunch of money, it could make them think why bother, they won't have a good chance of winning anything, right? It's a shitty way of thinking, but back when I did fundraising, I was always told that.

On another note, is there any way this could be extended to get the total up? I mean I've been giving every time I get paid, and I'm gonna continue to do so after this is done I think, but would it help to add another week or two?

[quote name='therealdanhill']Posting how much you donated doesn't help. For people in it solely for the prizes, if they see somebody post that they put in a bunch of money, it could make them think why bother, they won't have a good chance of winning anything, right? It's a shitty way of thinking, but back when I did fundraising, I was always told that.[/QUOTE]

Um, someone's chances of winning a prize is proportional to how much they donated out of the total, so when you say "shitty way of thinking," you actually mean completely incorrect way of determining odds in a raffle? :roll:

I finally got around to making a donation with a few days to spare.

Come on guys, let's break $30,000 by the end of today, ok? Tweet your followers and share the link on Facebook! (Or, you know, tell your real life friends...)

bread's done
Back