CAG Gran Turismo 5 [CAG Race Night - Now Sundays at 6PM PST!]

Just had a blast with Mad earlier tonight. I think we should drop the 'no mods' restriction but keep the HP cap. Everyone is different and I happen to like a turbo charged car that's a little loose. No mods means stock and those just aren't that fun to drive sometimes.

I also support Cape Ring Periphery. Excellent try, not too long, VERY fun. As for tires, I think we should stick to Sports tires. I did a combination of Soft up front and Hard in the back and that was a near-perfect setup for the GT-R. I would of had Mad in the last race had I turned TC to 1 instead of off ;)\

[quote name='j-cart']Few other settings to discuss about too:
-penalty system (can be set to: none, low, high)
-driving line allowed or not allowed
-weather options
-amount of laps

any others settings to discuss?[/QUOTE]

Penalty System = off. As Mad said, we're racing fellow CAGs. If people start wall-riding/corner cutting we'll simply kick them out.
Driving Line = allowed. Not forced but it should definitely be allowed for people not familiar with every track.
Weather = I don't care either way, though Dry would probably be better for everyone but I wouldn't mind a wet race or two.
Laps = 3 laps on Cape Ring was pretty good. I lasted about 5 minutes, which felt just right after my horrendous 3rd lap :p 5 laps should be equally fine on smaller tracks.

[quote name='SynGamer']Just had a blast with Mad earlier tonight. I think we should drop the 'no mods' restriction but keep the HP cap. Everyone is different and I happen to like a turbo charged car that's a little loose. No mods means stock and those just aren't that fun to drive sometimes.

I also support Cape Ring Periphery. Excellent try, not too long, VERY fun. As for tires, I think we should stick to Sports tires. I did a combination of Soft up front and Hard in the back and that was a near-perfect setup for the GT-R. I would of had Mad in the last race had I turned TC to 1 instead of off ;)\

Penalty System = off. As Mad said, we're racing fellow CAGs. If people start wall-riding/corner cutting we'll simply kick them out.
Driving Line = allowed. Not forced but it should definitely be allowed for people not familiar with every track.
Weather = I don't care either way, though Dry would probably be better for everyone but I wouldn't mind a wet race or two.
Laps = 3 laps on Cape Ring was pretty good. I lasted about 5 minutes, which felt just right after my horrendous 3rd lap :p 5 laps should be equally fine on smaller tracks.[/QUOTE]
That was a good set of runs. I like the fact that we were both high enough leveled to see damage to our cars. It was like my spoiler got hit with a golf club apparently and your car had a fat lip. There's so much just general trash talking as we go and car talk that there isn't much room for road rage for me anyway.

We had a good run of my semi-drift/sliding vs your traditional driving. I definitely had fun going balls out with my Supra, given how we basically just threw down the gauntlet of GTR vs Supra without even thinking about it.

[quote name='Mad39er']That was a good set of runs. I like the fact that we were both high enough leveled to see damage to our cars. It was like my spoiler got hit with a golf club apparently and your car had a fat lip. There's so much just general trash talking as we go and car talk that there isn't much room for road rage for me anyway.

We had a good run of my semi-drift/sliding vs your traditional driving. I definitely had fun going balls out with my Supra, given how we basically just threw down the gauntlet of GTR vs Supra without even thinking about it.[/QUOTE]

I need to buy that car and install a few mods and we can have some real fun. As I said online, when I race with friends I really couldn't care less about winning. I just want to have fun, so if I get into someone, I'll brake and wait for then to get caught up. We may both be out of the race but at least it's still a race against another opponent.

Really looking forward to Tuesdays' races.

Good input guys.

The only reason I why I have no mods as a rule is because some people might not have the funds to mod their car, or the knowledge on how to mod their car efficiently. I think for the first night of official racing, non-modded cars should be used. There is still "anything goes" race to satisfy your needs. (remember when can still have more than five races, its just that 5 of them are official to declare CAG Race Night winner)

-For now weather will be dry (future winners could change this if they want).
-Driving lane will be allowed.
-Laps will be based according to size (however the kart racing should be minimum of 5)
-Penalty system will be off for this race. On purpose asshole driving will be an auto-kick if you can't overtake, then backoff and try again. respect the driver.

[quote name='j-cart']Penalty system will be off for this race. On purpose asshole driving will be an auto-kick if you can't overtake, then backoff and try again. respect the driver.[/QUOTE]

But what if Mad is drifting and appears to be in need of assistance in spinning out...? :p

[quote name='SynGamer']But what if Mad is drifting and appears to be in need of assistance in spinning out...? :p[/QUOTE]
LOL. Assistance in spinning out... to think we were both front bumper to front bumper and I whipped that Reverse 180. Good times. :lol:

FWIW I don't mind multiple overtakes because I do spin out an awful lot, I do mind people riding the rear fender and forcing a spin out just to overtake. Somebody had a great set of rules from Prologue I was looking at earlier last week, I should try to dig them up.

This sounds like fun. I'd like to join tomorrow if it's not too late.

I'm going to need to farm some money to meet those requirements but it should be doable.

[quote name='j-cart']Shouldn't pushing a car from behind while going into a turn be grounds for DQ?[/QUOTE]

Aside from Daytona, yes, I would think that the person would be given a warning and then booted. There's a difference between a (light) bump and run and flatout knocking someone into a turn and spinning out.

EDIT: Just to clarify on the rules. no mods means nothing has been bought and installed after purchasing the car, correct? I'm not sure if it's possible to buy a car that has certain mods installed or not but I just want to make sure that when I buy a car it's OK to race.

EDIT2: without mods I'm not seeing anything that's close to 405 HP for NISSAN...were these HP caps picked randomly or does the OP have cars that are unmod'd but close to the caps?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='j-cart']Shouldn't pushing a car from behind while going into a turn be grounds for DQ?[/QUOTE]

I would caution for laying that out as an absolute. Drafting is much more prevalent here than in previous GT games from what I've seen. If you are going 3 across into some sort of turn, anyone can get bumped and spun out...heck, the computer does it to me quite a bit.

Now, if it is something that happens time and time again, then yes....and I agree if we ever have a Nascar night, then people need to suck it up because if you aren't rubbing, you aren't racing in Nascar.

With that said, it doesn't mean I won't t-bone Mad if I get the opportunity....especially in a kart. :)

[quote name='j-cart']Shouldn't pushing a car from behind while going into a turn be grounds for DQ?[/QUOTE]Intentionally just for position, yes. If I hear somebody saying 'oh crap, crap, crap, crap' followed by them bumping me as they're trying to brake, eh, not so much.

[quote name='Darknyss']This sounds like fun. I'd like to join tomorrow if it's not too late.

I'm going to need to farm some money to meet those requirements but it should be doable.[/QUOTE] Good luck with money farming. I used to do the Amateur Japanese '90s Tsukuba Circuit until I opened up the Expert Turbo High Speed Ring race that's 36k for literally 3 minutes of your time. Granted I worked on my suspension most of the time on Tsukuba, so I accomplished other things than just 10,250 in credits.

[quote name='SynGamer']EDIT: Just to clarify on the rules. no mods means nothing has been bought and installed after purchasing the car, correct? I'm not sure if it's possible to buy a car that has certain mods installed or not but I just want to make sure that when I buy a car it's OK to race.

EDIT2: without mods I'm not seeing anything that's close to 405 HP for NISSAN...were these HP caps picked randomly or does the OP have cars that are unmod'd but close to the caps?[/QUOTE]Gonna be some tuner cars in there. I picked up a car specifically from the dealership for the Nissan race. I also got the High Roller Trophy for doing it. I'd say buy or win a car with mods already on it. Some come with suspension mods or tranny mods. My car sits at 387 HP in particular.

[quote name='jmbreci']I would caution for laying that out as an absolute. Drafting is much more prevalent here than in previous GT games from what I've seen. If you are going 3 across into some sort of turn, anyone can get bumped and spun out...heck, the computer does it to me quite a bit.

Now, if it is something that happens time and time again, then yes....and I agree if we ever have a Nascar night, then people need to suck it up because if you aren't rubbing, you aren't racing in Nascar.

With that said, it doesn't mean I won't t-bone Mad if I get the opportunity....especially in a kart. :)[/QUOTE]
Well said, drafting and Nascar aside, even the Daytona, Sarthe and Special Stage Route 7 tracks in particular have zones where if you aren't drafting, you're not going have a chance to win unless you're in the lead.

You may very well get the opportunity to t-bone me, Syn did it when I was completely sideways on the ring in Cape Ring, I blame my tires and suspension for that one. I didn't tune them for that track. I did however pick up the most unfair beast of a car that I've loved from GT3 for dirt cheap, hands down the best 42 grand I ever spent. I put maybe 20 for the chassis rigidity, 3 for the windows and 20 for the Stage 3 turbo, for 85 grand it smokes everything.

The 405hp is only set because I wanted Skylines but not the new GTR from being used. For the open car make 405hp is that pretty much I thought a good number that isn't high and that isn't too low.

Now once again, winner gets to set the themes for the following weeks races.

Good discussion on t-boning. It won't be ruled as an absolute, but if it happens that one person is consistently doing it there might be some collective judgement.

Also is the point system acceptable? (person with the lowest amount of points after 5 races wins)
Point break down:
1st- 0 points
2nd- 2 points
3rd- 3 points
4th- 4 points
5th- 5 points
6th- 6 points
7th- 7 points
8th- 8 points
9th- 9 points
10th- 10 points

GET HYPED!

I think I may have found the perfect car for the 405 No Mods race.

From the dealership I bought the Corvette Z06 (C5) '04. It's got exactly 405hp. So stoked for tomorrow.

I wish my bluetooth would have been here before this little get together, I kinda wanted to talk. LOL.

[quote name='GTmaster39']I think I may have found the perfect car for the 405 No Mods race.

From the dealership I bought the Corvette Z06 (C5) '04. It's got exactly 405hp. So stoked for tomorrow.

I wish my bluetooth would have been here before this little get together, I kinda wanted to talk. LOL.[/QUOTE]
You'd have to race it without an oil change, you should be below the limit. If you change the oil you won't be.

NOOOOO!!!!!! you found my secret car! I think we are gonna have a fun night.

The Honda 215hp and under is gonna be interesting since none of the type-r's could be used (civic type-r is 216hp). Everyone is gonna have to dig into that used dealership to find something to race with.

Anything goes is basically show who has the most cash to burn (or they are gonna use their pre-order car)

I just found a 212HP Civic I believe. We'll see how it races but it's a good start. Still not finding anything in my price range for the 405HP Nissan.

[quote name='SynGamer']I just found a 212HP Civic I believe. We'll see how it races but it's a good start. Still not finding anything in my price range for the 405HP Nissan.[/QUOTE]

Nice. I got a Prelude @207hp. Still looking for my Nissan too.

[quote name='j-cart']Nice. I got a Prelude @207hp. Still looking for my Nissan too.[/QUOTE]

I just settled for a R34 Nur Spec. It hauls ass, im pretty sure it'll do fine.

[quote name='j-cart']The Honda 215hp and under is gonna be interesting since none of the type-r's could be used (civic type-r is 216hp). Everyone is gonna have to dig into that used dealership to find something to race with.

Anything goes is basically show who has the most cash to burn (or they are gonna use their pre-order car)[/QUOTE]
[quote name='SynGamer']I just found a 212HP Civic I believe. We'll see how it races but it's a good start. Still not finding anything in my price range for the 405HP Nissan.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='j-cart']Nice. I got a Prelude @207hp. Still looking for my Nissan too.[/QUOTE]I've got a Civic sitting at 214, haven't even touched it. Going to work on it in online races if anybody is interested.

Depending on what people bring to the Anything Goes, I'll be deciding if the Supra gets to make a showing. I really want to repaint it though since the silver looks meh on it. I'm wondering what people have, I've only splurged on the Nissan and that was 100 grand. I'm guessing somebody is going to have a racemodded car though but I don't think it'll be anything really crazy, with the exception of Chuplayer perhaps. I still can't drive my McLaren F1 Stealth and put no time into the Chrome cars at all.

[quote name='GTmaster39']I just settled for a R34 Nur Spec. It hauls ass, im pretty sure it'll do fine.[/QUOTE]I was going to go with the Nur or one of the lighter GT-Rs but I found more or less the most insane car that fit the bill, too bad it's FR since 4WD launches so nicely.

Another update for GT5 just went through earlier tonight, you'll need to be patched to get online in GT5, so be prepped for a 150 mb patch.

[quote name='Mad39er']Another update for GT5 just went through earlier tonight, you'll need to be patched to get online in GT5, so be prepped for a 150 mb patch.[/QUOTE]

Don't start me....I just wanted to fire my driver and up my B-spec a bit to get more cars.....30 minutes later......after the PS3 update and then the GT5 update.....

I will state it is much better to have a guy in the blue than the red for his disposition - or whatever they want to call it. The only race I lost was my fault...wrong tires on the car and he was sliding all over.

Here is my question that I think I know the answer to, since it is not explained ANYWHERE in the manual or online manual - Sports:Hard implies Sports Hard or any of the Comfort (soft, medium, hard) tires, correct?

[quote name='jmbreci']I will state it is much better to have a guy in the blue than the red for his disposition - or whatever they want to call it. The only race I lost was my fault...wrong tires on the car and he was sliding all over.

Here is my question that I think I know the answer to, since it is not explained ANYWHERE in the manual or online manual - Sports:Hard implies Sports Hard or any of the Comfort (soft, medium, hard) tires, correct?[/QUOTE]To get your question right out of the way, the tire restriction that says stuff like Sports Hard means the highest rated tire you can use is Sports Hard and anything in the previous category is fine. So basically what you said is correct.

Red vs Blue... My Red driver can handle cars that I simply can't in tires that I wouldn't even try it in. I have a Shelby GT350R that spins the rear tires so badly that even though I hit 160 mph in no time flat, I have to half drift(like Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift) and let off the gas most of the time. It corners beautifully, swings out nicely but if I step on the gas and spin the rears, screams bloody murder. I'm going to upgrade to Racing before I condemn the car. It's an easy win for the Historic Beginners race though specifically in B-Spec, my Red driver handles it phenomenally well and was quite the American asshole to all the Euro and Jap cars he was smoking. Driver's name? A. Gay.

I really thought I had a great car on my hands with the Shelby GT350R, something about it just isn't right. Beautiful looking car though.

It'll probably be in somebodys lounge, should be able to join easily. I'm just waiting on tires to be posted. I just got the Penniless trophy so I may have to run a race or two to buy the right tires.

If the room was created to say something like CHEAPASSGAMER ONLY or something, and then just post the room number so we can find it. Would be nice.

[quote name='GTmaster39']If the room was created to say something like CHEAPASSGAMER ONLY or something, and then just post the room number so we can find it. Would be nice.[/QUOTE]
If it's j-carts lounge, you just have to go under his name and enter his lounge. Easier than dealing with room numbers and random people of an open lobby.

Edit: FWIW, the GTR Nur nets you 343 hp after oil change, the partly tuned Fairlady Z($70k) in the Gran Turismo dealership is 383 hp after oil change and I'm going to assume the other GTRs get a bit better after the oil change. The Nissan race will be the most competitive, that's my prediction anyway.

20 minutes and counting! Make sure your I am on your friend's list or some other CAG member.

The Lounge will be named "CAG" as such and once it is up I will update with the room number aswell.

So no one has found the 400R? I saw that Mad39er had some Nismos, he was on the right track.

vtec_yo.jpg

My little Hondas where bangin tonight. w00t w00t!

Can't wait to race again guys, hopefully I'll have a mic by then. Had a lot of fun. Props to j_cart for putting everything on.

Everybody kept asking what was in the S2000 and Integra Type R. Everything was fully tuned out and the weight reductions to the max. Everyone makes fun of them but if you can tune it the right way it can take down just about anything.

I still have work to do on the S2000 though, the suspension settings are hard to get a grasp of because of the different road conditions.

Once I was able to connect I had a blast. Lag smoothed out very quickly, was surprised how consistent it was. I approve :)

Great races, surprised I finished first twice with how the first 3 races went. Sorry about taking you out, Syn, on High Speed Ring. After Sports Hard was declared, I knew I had no chance at the Nissan race nor the 405 general. That cart racing I took a beating on, placed last, didn't do great on the Nissan or the 405 general. The Honda race was a knife fight more so than expected, again the tires are to blame for all the sliding.

I will update with a more detailed results a bit later while I gather some pictures.

In a crazy turn of events, Mad39er went on a TEAR in the last 3 races, winning two of three, but his 7th place finish on the first race was too big of a hole to edge out the win.

The winner was SynGamer by 1 point! (from now on, if there is a tie, then it will go to the person with the most 1st place wins)

SynGamer 0+3+3+2+5=13
Mad39er 7+4+0+3+0=14
DCstarClassic 3+0+5+5+3=16
MisterB_66 5+7+2+6+2=22
jello4444 6+5+4+4+4=23
ChizelMonkee 8+8+6+0+6=(28) *Did not race the first two*
j-cart 2+6+7+7+7=29
Jville808 4+2+8+8+8=(30) *Left early*

There was A LOT of hiccups! I don't think we started our first race until 8pm. Getting the room set up right when CAG was down didn't help. I forgot to set tire settings on one specific race. There was plenty more that I am forgetting.

It was bound to happen, but expect our next race (Dec.14th) to be much better than our first.

SynGamer it is your decision on the next 5 official races. You can ask for suggestions and what not (maybe use that kart track that you made?!).

In some completely GT5 related news, I posted up 4 "no time" finishes.

[quote name='j-cart']The winner was SynGamer by 1 point! (from now on, if there is a tie, then it will go to the person with the most 1st place wins)

SynGamer 0+3+3+2+5=13[/QUOTE]
Congrats Syn!

I'm thinking that controller of yours helped a lot with the hard sport tires and the carting. I had issues keeping from yanking the analog stick at times and I experienced more understeer than I wanted from the Evo and Supra, less from the Evo than the Supra which is why I ended up using the Evo. I also don't think the analog stick accurately does left or right 100% since you can slide it up or down, lowering your actual rotation.

Definitely going to consider getting one of those because the D-pad is too harsh on the thumb, the analog stick is a little too twitchy and I'm not set up quite for a wheel just yet.

I swear I never saw Mr B race on my screen. In the lobby, it had some animation under his name, like he was trying to enter the lobby (I think that's what that was for anyway). And while we were doing practice laps, his name never appeared.

Wonder if it was some network hiccup.

Wow, can't believe I won. I finished first in the Kart race (which was insanely competitive during practice) and then never got close to winning again. Don't worry about the contact Mad, there was a lot of slipping and sliding on the hard tires. I'll try to think of a few races and combos today during work. I will have them finalized by tomorrow night at the latest, that should still give everyone enough time to find the cars and practice the tracks.

For now, I'm open to suggestions. The first race will definitely be Karts, not sure what track yet, I want to tweak mine first. So yeah, feel free to post suggestions everyone :)

Dec. 14th Race Setups:
  1. Karts/Track unknown (Probably one of my custom tracks)
  2. ?
  3. ?
  4. ?
  5. 800 HP or less. Anything goes/Track Unknown
Tires: Sports Soft

EDIT: I'm thinking of sticking with 2.00 mile or less tracks and going with 4 or 5 laps per race. Not sure yet, 4 laps seems like enough to recover if you spin out early...I'm open to suggestions though :)

[quote name='jello44']I swear I never saw Mr B race on my screen. In the lobby, it had some animation under his name, like he was trying to enter the lobby (I think that's what that was for anyway). And while we were doing practice laps, his name never appeared.

Wonder if it was some network hiccup.[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem, the game would only show 4 or 5 people racing. It was really confusing, that is why I kept asking where I actually finished.

As the Host I was able to see everyone, but hopefully PD keeps ironing things out for online. Some how my lounge despite being private, was still open to random people joining.

4 laps should be a standard minimum from now on (unless its the 14 mile track).

As for ideas, NASCAR only, rally, heavy cars only (we set the weight!), convertibles only (driver must be open), engine types, American Classics, Vette vs. Viper, etc.

The list is endless, try to come up with some random ideas, we can start the race from a rolling pace too if that changes anything.

Sorry about not racing....after 2 consecutive disconnects within a minute, I was at my frustration level...and I was tired. Instead I got gold on A-9 and had OCD with A-8 yet never achieved gold (

I like the idea of one make races. Everyone could agree on one car that everyone should have by the beginning of the next race. It doesn't have to be all lambos or F1 cars, just cars that don't go over $100k or something.

bread's done
Back